Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ali Sweeney named co-host of Tournament of Roses Parade; Jason47's Weekly Thread: Plus 1967/1968 Days of Christmas Past
Topic Started: Dec 1 2012, 12:53 AM (2,144 Views)
Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Thank you for more classic episode recaps.

So it turns out David was born in 1967 and not in January and that Scott and Janet changed their names to help conceal Brad's identity and I suppose the question has to how Julie found out Brad was David was by simply meeting Scott Banning, to his horror no doubt.

And I had to laugh that Alice gave that dictator to Tom for Christmas. We all know how well that gift turned out to be ... positively murderous in fact!

And this Lou person lands in the same boat as Mike's short term girlfriend Sharon. Love these little details being brought to light.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Thanks Jason! You know I loved seeing my Julie being her sharp-tongued self, lol. But there was something about her that made me love her. I was always on her side no matter what she said or did. And I didn't blame her for being bitter against Susan. Loved the Mickey/Laura/Bill/Michael material too.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Dec 4 2012, 01:16 AM
So it turns out David was born in 1967 and not in January and that Scott and Janet changed their names to help conceal Brad's identity
Bright Eyes...I must have missed it, I just checked the recaps again, but where did you get that David/Brad was born in 1967?

From the cast/set lists, this would be the week that David/Brad was born:

1/23/68: Susan’s Apartment, Mark’s Lab, Bill’s Quarters, Julie’s Hospital Room.
1/24/68: Tom’s Office (Hospital), Julie’s Hospital Room, Lab, Horton Living Room.
1/26/68: Horton Living Room, Mark’s Quarters at Hospital, Hospital Corridor Waiting Area Near Julie’s Room, Julie’s Hospital Room.
1/29/68: Julie’s Hospital Room, Susan’s Hospital Room, Hospital Corridor.
1/30/68: Julie’s Hospital Room, Laura & Mickey’s Apartment, Blake Apartment.

From the looks of things, he was born on 1/29/68. That's when David/Brad is first listed in a cast list (after several days of Julie being in the hospital). And 1/29/68 is also the debut episode of Nurse Mary Blake. Scott Blake appears in one episode with her on January 30. And Mary is seen once more on January 31. The next time Mary/Scott/Brad are seen is on June 10, 1968 when their last name has been changed to Banning.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Oh, so it was an actual story point that Scott & Janet Banning changed their names from Scott & Mary Blake? I did not know that. I just assumed that there names had just been changed in the story, but it was never acknowledged that they'd had other names before. That's new info for me!

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Dec 4 2012, 03:20 PM
Oh, so it was an actual story point that Scott & Janet Banning changed their names from Scott & Mary Blake? I did not know that. I just assumed that there names had just been changed in the story, but it was never acknowledged that they'd had other names before. That's new info for me!
Yes, they are listed as Mary Blake, RN and Scott Blake for those couple of January episodes. Bill Bassett played Scott for that one episode in January, but never returned. Bob Carraway was Scott when he showed up again in June.

Joyce Easton however played the role the whole time, as both Mary & Janet.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Jason47
Dec 4 2012, 03:17 PM
Bright Eyes
Dec 4 2012, 01:16 AM
So it turns out David was born in 1967 and not in January and that Scott and Janet changed their names to help conceal Brad's identity
Bright Eyes...I must have missed it, I just checked the recaps again, but where did you get that David/Brad was born in 1967?

From the cast/set lists, this would be the week that David/Brad was born:

1/23/68: Susan’s Apartment, Mark’s Lab, Bill’s Quarters, Julie’s Hospital Room.
1/24/68: Tom’s Office (Hospital), Julie’s Hospital Room, Lab, Horton Living Room.
1/26/68: Horton Living Room, Mark’s Quarters at Hospital, Hospital Corridor Waiting Area Near Julie’s Room, Julie’s Hospital Room.
1/29/68: Julie’s Hospital Room, Susan’s Hospital Room, Hospital Corridor.
1/30/68: Julie’s Hospital Room, Laura & Mickey’s Apartment, Blake Apartment.

From the looks of things, he was born on 1/29/68. That's when David/Brad is first listed in a cast list (after several days of Julie being in the hospital). And 1/29/68 is also the debut episode of Nurse Mary Blake. Scott Blake appears in one episode with her on January 30. And Mary is seen once more on January 31. The next time Mary/Scott/Brad are seen is on June 10, 1968 when their last name has been changed to Banning.
Because in Susan's first episode it's mentioned that David was given up a little over a year ago and that's in mid-December. Since they mention a doll being used in these recaps I'm guessing David's first appearance in January was just his first actor appearance.
Edited by Bright Eyes, Dec 4 2012, 03:51 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Hey Matt, you just helped solve a mystery from 1968, and also changed the episode rankings!!

I just pulled out the January 1968 episodes to scan in the cast list showing Mary/Scott Blake, and I see on the 1/29/68 episode it says Baby (Tape Only), and a flashback is shown from Episode # 328 in that episode. I had always thought that was the NEW baby (but recorded on videotape to just show him in a brief birth scene). But, upon further thought, it is actually Susan having a flashback about her dead baby, Dickie. From the cast charts, it never made sense to me why Timothy Brocker was listed as playing baby Dickie in 1967, and then again as Baby David/Brad (actually just listed as Baby on the charts) for that one episode in January 1968....but that's because he didn't! I guess they never showed the baby when Julie gave birth in January 1968. It's just a flashback of Timothy Brocker as Dickie in that episode. So, that mystery is now solved, and now some changes have to be made, taking Brocker off the lists as the first David/Brad.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Dec 4 2012, 03:51 PM
Because in Susan's first episode it's mentioned that David was given up a little over a year ago and that's in mid-December. Since they mention a doll being used in these recaps I'm guessing David's first appearance in January was just his first actor appearance.
Julie wasn't on at all in October/November/December 1967. However, she's in a hospital room during the last week of January 1968, when Scott & Mary make their first appearances. So, from those stats, I'm guessing Bill Bell wrote Julie out due to lack of storyline while she was in her last 3 months of pregnancy, and then brought her back just in time to give birth (off camera) and have the Blakes adopt the child.

Jason47
Member Avatar

"Days" Flashback: Thirty Years Ago in Salem:

Daily Cast Chart & Set Lists: December 1982

http://www.jason47.com/days/castcharts1982.html

Jason47
Member Avatar

December 06, 2012
AL ROKER (NBC’S 'TODAY') AND ALISON SWEENEY ('THE BIGGEST LOSER') TEAM UP TO HOST NBC’S LIVE, HIGH-DEFINITION COVERAGE OF THE ‘124TH TOURNAMENT OF ROSES PARADE’ ON JANUARY 1, 2013

NBC Continues Its 86-Year Tradition of Broadcasting Popular International Event

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – December 6, 2012 – Al Roker, the weatherman and feature reporter for NBC’s “Today,” and Alison Sweeney, the host of “The Biggest Loser” and one of the stars of “Days of our Lives,” will co-host NBC’s live, high-definition coverage of the “124th Tournament of Roses Parade” from Pasadena, California, on Tuesday, January 1 (11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET).* This will be Roker’s sixteenth year hosting the popular annual event, and the first year for Sweeney. NBC has been broadcasting the New Year’s Day parade for 86 years, beginning on radio in 1927 and then televising the event beginning in 1954.

The theme for this year’s parade is “Oh, the Places You’ll Go,!“ the title of the popular Dr. Seuss book. Jane Goodall, the world renowned primatologist, animal welfare advocate, UN Messenger of Peace and founder of the Jane Goodall Institute, will be this year’s grand marshal. The parade will feature 42 lavish floral floats, 21 high-stepping equestrian teams and 23 incredible marching bands from as far away as Japan. This year’s Rose Queen and her court will also appear, along with special guests on spectacular floats.

“The Tournament of Roses Parade” is the most popular New Year’s Day celebration in the world. The lively event kicks off 2013 with colorful floats like Disneyland Resort’s “Destination Cars Land,” saluting the newest attraction at Disney California Adventure Park, Honda’s “Follow Your Dreams” entry, celebrating childlike imagination, and a heartwarming “Canines with Courage” salute to our four-legged heroes – military working dogs -- from Natural Balance Pet Foods. Viewers will also see a special float honoring our nation’s caregivers, which is funded, decorated and ridden by nurses, a Kaiser
Permanente “Cat in the Hat” float themed “Oh, the Healthy Things You Can Do,!”and an inaugural float from Delta Sigma Theta, the world’s largest African-American Greek-lettered sorority, as they kick off their centennial celebration.

The Pasadena police department estimates that at least 1 million spectators will line the five-and-a-half mile parade route. Tens of millions of people worldwide watch the telecast every year.

Arthur Forrest is the executive producer and director, Tom Patino is the line producer, Carol Kahl is the supervising producer and Stephanie Prescott is the coordinating producer for Universal Television.

*Many affiliates will also broadcast NBC’s optional coverage of the parade from 11:00-11:30 a.m. ET.

Edited by Jason47, Dec 6 2012, 07:20 PM.

cajnej
Member Avatar

Jason47
Dec 1 2012, 09:31 PM
Jason47's "Days" Christmas Clip of the Week:

Charlayne Woodard (Desiree) sings a beautiful version of "O Holy Night." Episode # 6664. Air Date: December 18, 1991.

http://www.jason47.com
Jason thank you so much for posting the link for that beautiful rendition of Holy Night by Charlayne Woodward, who is a fabulous actress and singer. I still get "goosies" watching her sing just as I did the first time I saw it. Desiree was the one bright light in that dreadful "Baby Hawke" storyline. The writers who had written so beautifully for Jackielieliel and Jackielieliel were gone and it was the commencement in some ways of how Jackielieliel and Jackielieliel started to be ruined and Jackielieliel became poor and was written in a clown like way. The only laugh was ever Desiree who was the fake pyschic but as it turned out had some pyschic ability( well she could see Jackielieliel's two Dad's Harper and Duke LOL when he was able to conjor them up also LOL), called every one "daddy" and was a hoot. That clip brought back some fabulous memories. Thank you. :cheers:

ETA how funny is it what appears when I type j a c k (Jackieliel) and j e n n i fe r (Jackieliel) :applause:
Edited by cajnej, Dec 6 2012, 09:18 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply