Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MSN article remarking on upswing of Soaps
Topic Started: Dec 8 2012, 04:22 PM (1,529 Views)
Winterfaire

Found this today. I, for one, Nighttime Gina it means the end of the decline of Soaps, and, more to the point, a future for Days.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blog.aspx?blog=2080&feat=3d28b837-6012-40b1-911e-c77b402266c5+ :rockon:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I always knew GH/DAYS/Y&R and B&B would be the last standing soaps to survive this major downturn in the industry...perhaps if they hold on long enough, popularity Crybaby Horton continue to go up and soaps can make a comeback again and become the standard daytime program again.

annie21

TFP. I would like to be hopeful about the genre's future, and FV/RC have certainly done some things right with GH. But this article... That first quote from the programming executive was so clueless! It gave me a sense that they're all smug and self-congratulatory without really having learned anything.

Basically, there was a slight uptick in ratings in some demographic categories after a really bumpy year. But the real story, imo, is not that soaps are getting a lot better, but rather talk shows are getting worse! lol. So these soap execs can relax and take a breather without feeling so pressured that they'll be replaced by a cheaply produced talk show. But it doesn't seem to me that they (especially Days execs) are going to use that reprieve to actually make their programming better. We'll see.

Oh, and this one caught my attention: "the coveted daytime demographic of women aged 25-to-54" Hadn't heard that one before.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Dec 8 2012, 04:37 PM
I always knew GH/DAYS/Y&R and B&B would be the last standing soaps to survive this major downturn in the industry...perhaps if they hold on long enough, popularity Crybaby Horton continue to go up and soaps can make a comeback again and become the standard daytime program again.
Agreed Mitch. I hate that a show like OLTL had to be sacrificed while peaking, but it also revitalized GH. B&B has had a massive year...DAYS and Y&R seem to be trending down, IMO, but they can still make the numbers look good because last year sucked too. I just think DAYS and Y&R have the most loyalty from their networks out of all the soaps that have ever aired. Y&R because of the ratings and DAYS because of the history. That only gets you so far, but its gotten DAYS through. Having said that DAYS really needs to start fixing some shit fast because the closer they get to 2 million viewers, the closer they are to dead. Crybaby Horton and Nighttime Gina have by far the worst filters. They ruin nearly every post.

Daysdegrassi
Member Avatar

I think that Days Crybaby Horton stay on because the networks realize if the soaps are cancelled, they are going to lose many viewers. However, Days really does need to be fixed. The storylines are plain old boring.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

So glad to read this article - thanks for sharing. (I also followed the link to the original THR story it was excerpting from and the comments underneath were heartening. People DO want their soaps.) I wish ABC would admit they were wrong and bring back OLTL but I'm not holding my breath. (Same goes for AMC even though I was never a regular watcher of that show.)

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I don't really thinks soaps are making a resurgence, but I do Nighttime Gina that these shows can hold on for their fans. GH is good but has not come close to filling the huge soap void in my heart since OLTL left the air.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply