Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New GH Character Sparks Controversy
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 01:20 PM (1,265 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

The introduction of Marc Anthony Samuel's new GH character, openly gay nursing student Felix Dubois, has been the subject of some controversy online, which Head Writer Ron Carlivati has dubbed "Lipstickgate." (As viewers will learn this week, Felix, who brandished a lipstick on his first episode to give Sabrina a mini-makeover, works for a significant-to-story cosmetics company to pay his way through nursing school.) On Twitter, Carlivati responded to viewers who accused him of writing Felix in a stereotypical manner, noting, "I wrote at least five gay characters on #OLTL and none of them IMHO were cartoonish," and adding, "Possessing a tube of lipstick is stereotypical and offensive? Stereotypical of what? And offensive to whom?" In response to a post about Felix on towleroad.com, a self-described "site with homosexual tendencies," Carlivati wrote a longer defense of the new addition, saying that he is an openly gay man and "frankly appalled by the intolerance and internalized homophobia expressed in this post and in the majority of its comments. During my career, I have brought no fewer than six gay characters to daytime television: male, female, Black, White, Hispanic...all shapes and sizes. I have written coming out stories, gay bashing stories, gay marriage stories, gay parenting stories and gay love stories. I wrote the first love scene between two gay men that ever aired on daytime TV. I won a GLAAD award for these stories. What exactly is it about this character that is causing such righteous indignation? The fact that he carries a tube of lipstick in his scrubs? SPOILER ALERT: Felix sells cosmetics to put himself through nursing school. This will be revealed on Monday's show. Not because I think gay men love lipstick, and certainly not to "establish" himself as gay. But even if that were the reason, so what? Does this make him too queeny? Not straight-acting enough? Is that the only type of gay character allowed on TV now? As far as I'm concerned, to be offended by this character is what is offensive. And just FYI, the majority of women (our core audience) I have heard from thus far about Felix have expressed to me how much they like him. The only people who seem to have a problem with him are certain gay men who are apparently afraid of a gay character who might be portrayed as a little bit effeminate." Towleroad.com's author, Andy Towle, posted a follow-up to his original message, saying, "There's no question in my mind that Mr. Carlivati should be allowed the chance to develop his character more fully before judgment is passed and I regret if my commentary suggested that it should."

SOD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Go Carlivati!

I agree with every word he said. The minute Felix pulled out the lipstick, I wondered if people were going to have something to say about him having it in his possession. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I didn't before knowing he works at a cosmetics company, and I don't after knowing. Not all gay people are the same. Not all gay characters on a soap should be either.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Honestly, I didn't even think much about it. People need to chill and let them write! :)

JaSamFanAlwayz09

Wonder what his relationship to Toussaint is. If there is one.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Carlivati is so awesome. I completely agree when he said the only acceptable gay on TV is a gay person who acts straight. Will and Sonny are two characters who act about as straight as an arrow (aside from random quips), that happen to be gay. Felix isn't stereotypical. He is representing a different type of homosexual person. Not all of them are the exact same and I think its really better to have a character like him than have someone come out as gay and just be the same exact person. Go Carlivati!

Nate
Member Avatar

When I clicked on this I really thought it be about Melissa Reeves.

LPS
Member Avatar

Is this GH's first gay character? I get the criticism. To have your first gay character come out giving fashion advice (I haven't watched the scenes) in his introduction is probably not wise. It definitely pushes the idea that all gay men go around giving fashion advice and engage in interior decorating. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his past work portraying gay men in a positive light.

Has he ever wrote for a lesbian?

DavidSS

LPS
Dec 11 2012, 09:11 PM
Is this GH's first gay character? I get the criticism. To have your first gay character come out giving fashion advice (I haven't watched the scenes) in his introduction is probably not wise. It definitely pushes the idea that all gay men go around giving fashion advice and engage in interior decorating. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his past work portraying gay men in a positive light.

Nope, GH has Lucas Jones who was gay, but that story fell off canvas.

Yes Ron wrote that Psychic on OLTL who was a lesbian.

Daytime
Member Avatar

I saw nothing controversial about the character.. :shrug:

I just hope they keep him.. Like what RC had to say.

LPS
Member Avatar

DavidSS
Dec 11 2012, 09:26 PM
LPS
Dec 11 2012, 09:11 PM

Nope, GH has Lucas Jones who was gay, but that story fell off canvas.

Yes Ron wrote that Psychic on OLTL who was a lesbian.
Are you talking about the lady with the black flapper haircut? She was a lesbian?

She was a day player. I just find it odd he hasn't written for a lesbian or a pansexual, yet.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Carlivati wrote two lesbians, I believe. Madame Delphina was a lesbian, and so was Amelia, who was Dorian's campaign manager, and then became Delphina's partner. Both were recurring characters. So far, Carlivati has yet to write a main female character, who is a lesbian.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply