Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tuesday, December 11th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 02:29 PM (7,664 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

nolagirl
Dec 11 2012, 05:15 PM
annie21
Dec 10 2012, 06:21 PM
Daysdegrassi
Dec 10 2012, 05:38 PM
six
Dec 10 2012, 05:29 PM
I have to question the sanity of the Hortons and their friends, who keep vacationing at this off the grid hellhole of a cabin when they know their lives are made up of one crisis after another, and that they are going to end up stranded on Smith Island at the worst possible time. Buy a speedboat or something, people.

I just want Gabi gone. Prison, back to Mama Hernandez, whatever. Since that's not going to happen though, she should, at the very least, get ostracized for what she did. I heard that FS is really good in his scenes with Gabi tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing that. I also wish Chad had connected the dots for Sonny and pointed out that Jack would still be alive if it weren't for Gabi.

Don't care about the wedding.
I wouldn't be surprised if Chad brought up the Jack thing at the wedding, telling Abby this. He would probably also tell Brady and Jennifer about Madison/Jack. I can see Gabi being left with nothing, maybe even not Nick. I can see Will and Sonny splitting up, and Will not even caring about Gabi anymore. I can see Chad and Nick being ostracized (maybe Sonny as well) for keeping the secret. Heck, Gabi will probably lose her baby from the stress, and the truth of the paternity will be revealed.
You know, I have this feeling that these writers will never have anyone bring up the connection to the deaths of Jack and Madison. The wedding reveal will mostly be about Will being the father of Gabi's baby, obviously. Chad will most likely make reference to Melanie -- which will upset Dan, Maggie, Jennifer. I think even Abby will not make the connection to her dad. She'll only be upset about Melanie.

I think only the audience sees the connection and remembers. The current writers are ignoring it along with much of the rest of the Daysaster and the MarDar era that don't suit their storytelling preferences.

Ironically Melanie is the key to Gaby's whole house of cards. Nick has no idea what Gaby did to Melanie either. So it will probably never happen that Gaby gets called out on anything - Madison and Jack's deaths, or Melanie's kidnapping because then Ms. Hernandez would be hated by

Abby - Jack's Daughter
Jennifer - Jack's "cough" wife
Daniel - Melanie Father
Chad - Boyfriend
Brady - Madison's lover and Melanie's good friend
Victor - Melanie's father in law / egg step grandfather
Maggie - egg grandmother
Justin - Jack's brother in law
Adrienne - Jack's Sister
Sonny - Jack's nephew / Melanie's Friend
Will - Jack's nephew's boyfriend / Melanie's Friend

Did I miss anyone :-/
Nick knows. That's why he used Chad's assault against him to get Gabi out of trouble.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Gabi could have avoided all criminal liability if she had simply reported Andrew's kidnapping of Melanie immediately. Hiring someone to pretend to stalk you is not illegal, as long as she wasn't doing it to try and con money out of Chad. She made a big deal about refusing to report the stalking to the cops. So, there was no real crime or conspiracy until Andrew kidnapped Melanie, but the moment Gabi chose not to reveal Melanie's captivity or try and aid her - Gabi became part of the conspiracy and is liable. The fact that Andrew kidnapped Gabi before the explosion might make Gabi legally exempt from the consequences of the explosion, it doesn't make her morally exempt. She knew Andrew was crazy and committing a crime by holding Melanie, and she did nothing and he remained free to commit more crimes.

esp13
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Dec 11 2012, 06:00 PM
Gabi could have avoided all criminal liability if she had simply reported Andrew's kidnapping of Melanie immediately. Hiring someone to pretend to stalk you is not illegal, as long as she wasn't doing it to try and con money out of Chad. She made a big deal about refusing to report the stalking to the cops. So, there was no real crime or conspiracy until Andrew kidnapped Melanie, but the moment Gabi chose not to reveal Melanie's captivity or try and aid her - Gabi became part of the conspiracy and is liable. The fact that Andrew kidnapped Gabi before the explosion might make Gabi legally exempt from the consequences of the explosion, it doesn't make her morally exempt. She knew Andrew was crazy and committing a crime by holding Melanie, and she did nothing and he remained free to commit more crimes.
Yep. That was pretty much what I was trying to say. :D

nolagirl
Member Avatar

esp13
Dec 11 2012, 05:55 PM
nolagirl
annie21
Daysdegrassi
Dec 10 2012, 05:38 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepare
You know, I have this feeling that these writers will never have anyone bring up the connection to the deaths of Jack and Madison. The wedding reveal will mostly be about Will being the father of Gabi's baby, obviously. Chad will most likely make reference to Melanie -- which will upset Dan, Maggie, Jennifer. I think even Abby will not make the connection to her dad. She'll only be upset about Melanie.

I think only the audience sees the connection and remembers. The current writers are ignoring it along with much of the rest of the Daysaster and the MarDar era that don't suit their storytelling preferences.

Ironically Melanie is the key to Gaby's whole house of cards. Nick has no idea what Gaby did to Melanie either. So it will probably never happen that Gaby gets called out on anything - Madison and Jack's deaths, or Melanie's kidnapping because then Ms. Hernandez would be hated by

Abby - Jack's Daughter
Daniel - Melanie Father
Chad - Boyfriend
Maggie - egg grandmother
Adrienne - Jack's Sister

Nick knows. That's why he used Chad's assault against him to get Gabi out of trouble.
OKay Nick just dropped ten points on my scale of likeable characters, I guess he thinks since he and Gaby both inadvertantly hurt Melanie they share a deep meaningful connection. MORON - he learned nothing in prison if his first instinct when let out is to help someone with a felony, but then again he said all his friends are still in prison - that statement kinda shocked me. What about Max???? While he and Nick as far as we know haven't been in contact while he was in prison they were very close at one point. I understand not using him but they could have mentioned him.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Maggie is just unbearable anymore.

More pathetic Nicole crying over a man. Give this bitch a career again. I'd much rather see her in the boardroom than St. Luke's.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Good valid point about the stalking, if the cops had been involved THEN she would have been in trouble for that because of cops pay and lying to the police, but since that wasn't the case technically she gets a pass on criminal part there.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 11 2012, 06:06 PM

More pathetic Nicole crying over a man. Give this bitch a career again. I'd much rather see her in the boardroom than St. Luke's.
:cheers: On both ironically if anyone remember Maggie was just as annoying with Lucas/Chloe. She really loves to but her nose in everything.

As for Nicole my god get her the hell away from the church and Eric, she's down right depressing and boring. Thank goodness her infatuation with Dr. Douche is done, but now we have Chloe to look forward to as their new angst. :run:

AFaithL

I love Daniel and Chloe together. IMO, it's Daniel's best pairing.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

nolagirl
Honeybees
Good valid point about the stalking, if the cops had been involved THEN she would have been in trouble for that because of cops pay and lying to the police, but since that wasn't the case technically she gets a pass on criminal part there.
Honestly, it was a true sabotage of Gabi's character to have her not report Melanie's kidnapping. She's the sister of a cop, and she should have known that she wouldn't really be liable for Andrew's actions (and if by some quirk of the law it was, her reporting the whole thing would go a long way to getting her off the hook). And she wasn't portrayed as being afraid that Andrew would hurt her or kill Melanie, two things that would have made her actions make some kind of sense. Instead, she was just being stupid and cowardly.

annie21

esp13
Dec 11 2012, 05:54 PM
annie21
Dec 11 2012, 04:48 PM
esp13
Dec 11 2012, 04:22 PM
annie21
Dec 11 2012, 04:14 PM
But they've basically been reduced to plot devices -- like a twosie or a lipstick.

Sure. Of course, Madison was always more plot device than character, but I don't disagree. But being used as a plot device is not the same as not existing. Hating how the writers interpret past history is not the same as the writers erasing that history. In this case, pending changes when the truth finally comes out, it does not appear that the writers intend to have Gabi held responsible for Madison and Jack's deaths. I'm not even sure that she could be held criminally responsible for those deaths. But that doesn't mean they've erased those deaths from history.

She could face criminal charges for Melanie's kidnapping because she knew about it and essentially helped cover it up (accessory after the fact). But by the time things moved to the catacombs, Gabi was kidnapped too and the criminal conspiracy would no longer exist. So, she can't be held criminally responsible for Andrew's actions if she was not a co-conspirator, I don't think. I guess we'll see how it plays out down the line.
You msy be right about Gabi not facing criminal charges for the deaths, although I seem to recall reading just recently that when one enters into a conspiracy with someone that person is then held accountable for whatever that co-conspirator ends up doing (the case was about a robbery where one of the robbers shot someone yet both conspirators were held accountable).

In any case, while it might be difficult to prove criminal charges, I think it would be interesting if Abby pursued a wrongful death action against her "friend" Gabi in civil court.

None of this will happen though, because these writers prefer not to refer back to Daysaster any more than they have to.

As for characters existing or not in the minds of the writers, while I don't disagree with your assessment, I would prefer that these writers completely ignore off-canvas characters in lieu of using them (or the mention of their names) to prop up petty contrived plots. That's just my opinion.
Yes, there is co-conspirator liability. That's partly why Gabi would face criminal liability for Melanie's kidnapping. She didn't conspire with Andrew for it to happen, but once she learned of it and did nothing she became a co-conspirator (or, possibly, an accessory after the fact). But the criminal liability extends only as long as the conspiracy. So, the question is, how far does the conspiracy extend. At the time the tunnels exploded, Gabi had been kidnapped by Andrew as well and, arguably, was no longer part of any criminal conpiracy. Therefore, arguably, to the extent the deaths can be said to have been caused by the commission of a crime (Melanie's kidnapping), Gabi was no longer part of the criminal conspiracy at the time the deaths occurred.

That doesn't mean that various people can't blame Gabi for starting the chain that lead to the explosions and deaths. And I'm perfectly happy if they do. I just think her criminal liability is somewhat limited and, quite frankly, I don't have a problem with that. It's been clear from day one that Gabi didn't want Andrew to kidnap Melanie and never intended for any of the other things to happen. Given the number of people in Salem who have never served time for things they definitely intended to do, I've got no real problem with Gabi getting off (criminally) for things she never intended to happen.

Gabi had ample time (weeks) to report Melanie's kidnapping and stop Andrew after he'd gone beyond their original conspiracy plans. As you point out, she didn't, so it could be argued that she was still conspiring with him throughout that time, albeit reluctantly, and all the way up to the moment she was kidnapped. Anyway, i agree that the criminal aspect is questionable, but the grounds for a civil suit would be much stronger and clearer. She was responsible for setting in motion what happened.

As you know, if you bring a pit bull into a neighborhood, you're responsible for any damages he causes, even if you took precautions to keep him chained and fenced in and even if you weren't there when he attacked someone. If you start a small fire and it ends up burning down the entire forest, killing people, and destroying homes, you're still responsible even if you didn't intend to set off a conflagration and even if you took precautions against it. Gabi didn't even take precautions; she was too busy scheming and covering up her own part in things.

I don't care one way or the other what happens to Gabi. But it's a shame that the writers have glossed over events and used Justin to help cover it up. At the very least, they should try to make a better story out of all that happened instead of just picking out the Melanie part and letting the rest go.

six
Member Avatar

nolagirl
Dec 11 2012, 05:49 PM
six
Dec 11 2012, 05:45 PM
nolagirl
annie21

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepare

Abby - Jack's Daughter
Daniel - Melanie Father
Chad - Boyfriend
Maggie - egg grandmother
Adrienne - Jack's Sister in law

Did Sami/Madison ever repair their friendship? While we're here, let's also note that Jack is also Will's uncle and Jen is Sonny's aunt, meaning Wilson has an aunt and uncle (by marriage) in common. Not that this has anything to do with... well anything at all. The list just reminded me of this other example of how convoluted the Salem family tree is.
:'( I know really, when I started to name them I actually was like jeez Gaby should be truly hated by many that think she's oh so great. And if they don't have someone else beside Sami have kids or others that Sami's kids are related to, that gene pool will be really murky next generation.
It's unfortunate that it's not going to happen. Most of people will probably have a similar reaction to Nick's. I'd also be thrilled if some of the fallout hit Rafe, too. How many crimes are they going to let this guy cover up and still collect a paycheck from the SPD?

esp13
Member Avatar

annie21
Dec 11 2012, 06:19 PM
As you know, if you bring a pit bull into a neighborhood, you're responsible for any damages he causes, even if you took precautions to keep him chained and fenced in and even if you weren't there when he attacked someone. If you start a small fire and it ends up burning down the entire forest, killing people, and destroying homes, you're still responsible even if you didn't intend to set off a conflagration and even if you took precautions against it. Gabi didn't even take precautions; she was too busy scheming and covering up her own part in things.

I don't care one way or the other what happens to Gabi. But it's a shame that the writers have glossed over events and used Justin to help cover it up. At the very least, they should try to make a better story out of all that happened instead of just picking out the Melanie part and letting the rest go.
The pit bull thing depends on where you live. Some states have strict liability on the grounds that pit bulls are inherently dangerous. Other states/cities still maintain a negligence standard, where it must be proven that you failed to take the steps that a reasonable person would take to prevent the harm. The forest fire thing is the same way, generally speaking. If you were negligent in tending the fire/putting it out/etc., you can be liable for the destruction caused by the spread of the fire.

Strict liability exists in criminal conspiracies. That's why they big question in how much Gabi is criminally liable depends on when the conspiracy ended. For example, if two people plan to commit a robbery and one guy does it while the other stays home, the person who stays home is equally liable. But if the guy who commits the robbery then decided, independently, to commit a second robbery on his way home, the guy who stayed home is not criminally liable for the second robbery. In this case, if the conspiracy ended with Andrew kidnapping Gabi, then so does her co-conspiracy liability.

As for the rest, I'm not convinced they are letting all of the rest of it go. But, if they are, I agree that, from a moral standpoint, Gabi should face the heat from many people. My only point is that I don't think she should face jail time for Jack and Madison's deaths.

Chelsea
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton

She stopped being bearable for me whenever they made her Daniel's mom. Their scenes together are cringe worthly.

Chelsea
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Dec 11 2012, 06:15 PM
Daniel doesn't have a best pairing, I wish they would stop ruining good characters for him.

concerned
Member Avatar

Chelsea
Dec 11 2012, 06:40 PM
AFaithL
Dec 11 2012, 06:15 PM
Daniel doesn't have a best pairing, I wish they would stop ruining good characters for him.
But he's so Hot.... and generous... and he's a Doctor .... and he saves lives.

Seems like the audience are the only ones who can resist him.

esp13
Member Avatar

Aww, a Kayla and Eric hug. That's probably the only interaction they will ever have, so at least I got a hug out of it.

LMAO at Caroline's expression when Gabi and Nick were talking about not having a church wedding. PM played those awesomely.

Chandler looks like he's creating fanfic in his head during these scenes.

I seriously adore Father Eric.

I'd like to kick Maggie in the ass. First she's a shrew, then she's apologetic, then she's a shrew, then she's apologetic. Ugh. It's all ridiculous.

I'm still liking the baby story, if for no other reason than it keeps Sami and Rafe as supporting characters.

Sonny's hair is bugging me. I find his warnings to be hard to take seriously with that hair.

lysie
Member Avatar

I'm so torn. I like that Rafe and Sami (and EJ) are all in supporting roles. However, this is by far my least favorite version of Sami. I about can't take it. Some of it's the writing, and some of it's the acting. This isn't Sami, and she's so damn saccharine I just want to brush my teeth.

I feel like the concept of the story is good, though. It's just not reaching it's potential. It's a shame these are the only younger actors and characters they have to choose from. IMO, the only scenes in this story that are good are the ones with just Will and Gabi. Nick, Chad, Sonny (seriously what has happened to Freddie Smith?), Rafe, Sami, and Caroline are all responsible for stinking this story up. I was one of the people the most irritated that Gabi got to just walk away from the explosions like nothing happened. I still feel that way. But more than that, I'm annoyed with Chad's reaction and now Sonny's. I think it's the actors.

I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing Daniel stare at his hands again. I really liked Kayla's response to the whole thing, and I liked the Jennifer/Abby scene. Maggie touching Daniel's hands was just BAD.

I need Nicole to get drunk STAT. I remember three years ago thinking that AZ was such a good crier. IDK if I've just gotten over it or if she's doing it differently now, but it's not good anymore.

Caroline and Rafe's reunion hug was AWKWARD.

So yeah. I didn't care for today. Oh, and did we miss Abby and Maggie finding out about what happened to Jennifer or was that while I was looking a list of top sports memes for the year?

onceinalifetime
Member Avatar

Just watched on SoapNet - seriously they need to change their commercials.

Random thoughts about today's show.

When Abby hugged Jennifer in the hospital, all I could think was "ouch" Oh and I wish KM would have a front burner storyline, I loved her in the Austin/obsessed Abby SL.

I'm liking the baby/Gabi/Nick/Will/Chad storyline, it's very soapy...even if the characters don't interest me very much.

I'm so happy Nicole is finally out of the Dan/Jen storyline, I love AZ.

I wonder what or with whom Maggie will butt into now that Dan's shaky, trembling hands are cured.

I'm curious to see what will happen when Chloe comes to town. If she's just used as yet another prop for Dannifer then no, but anything else I'm interested to watch.

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 11 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm so torn. I like that Rafe and Sami (and EJ) are all in supporting roles. However, this is by far my least favorite version of Sami. I about can't take it. Some of it's the writing, and some of it's the acting. This isn't Sami, and she's so damn saccharine I just want to brush my teeth.

I feel like the concept of the story is good, though. It's just not reaching it's potential. It's a shame these are the only younger actors and characters they have to choose from. IMO, the only scenes in this story that are good are the ones with just Will and Gabi. Nick, Chad, Sonny (seriously what has happened to Freddie Smith?), Rafe, Sami, and Caroline are all responsible for stinking this story up. I was one of the people the most irritated that Gabi got to just walk away from the explosions like nothing happened. I still feel that way. But more than that, I'm annoyed with Chad's reaction and now Sonny's. I think it's the actors.

I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing Daniel stare at his hands again. I really liked Kayla's response to the whole thing, and I liked the Jennifer/Abby scene. Maggie touching Daniel's hands was just BAD.

I need Nicole to get drunk STAT. I remember three years ago thinking that AZ was such a good crier. IDK if I've just gotten over it or if she's doing it differently now, but it's not good anymore.

So yeah. I didn't care for today. Oh, and did we miss Abby and Maggie finding out about what happened to Jennifer or was that while I was looking a list of top sports memes for the year?
I'm very much afraid to say this because I am likely to receive a cyber-punch. But I liked Sami in the pub scenes. I understand why it doesn't make sense, but I still liked it. And I also liked the little moment when she told Rafe "unfortunately, not when it matters most" when Rafe said he trusted her. I thought that moment was well played.

I think my issue with Sami is that I missed out on her so-called glory days. So, I don't have a real issue with her being written as a better person than she used to be. My biggest problem with the character for so long is that everything revolved around her and the stories sucked. But as a supporting character, she's suprisingly tolerable.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
Dec 11 2012, 09:24 PM
lysie
Dec 11 2012, 09:10 PM

I'm very much afraid to say this because I am likely to receive a cyber-punch. But I liked Sami in the pub scenes. I understand why it doesn't make sense, but I still liked it. And I also liked the little moment when she told Rafe "unfortunately, not when it matters most" when Rafe said he trusted her. I thought that moment was well played.

I think my issue with Sami is that I missed out on her so-called glory days. So, I don't have a real issue with her being written as a better person than she used to be. My biggest problem with the character for so long is that everything revolved around her and the stories sucked. But as a supporting character, she's suprisingly tolerable.
My issue is less that it doesn't make sense and more that it's not her and AS is AWFUL at it. I think Sami is being completely genuine (which I don't like) but it comes across fake.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply