Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tuesday, December 11th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 02:29 PM (7,551 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 11 2012, 09:25 PM
esp13
Dec 11 2012, 09:24 PM
lysie
Dec 11 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm so torn. I like that Rafe and Sami (and EJ) are all in supporting roles. However, this is by far my least favorite version of Sami. I about can't take it. Some of it's the writing, and some of it's the acting. This isn't Sami, and she's so damn saccharine I just want to brush my teeth.

I feel like the concept of the story is good, though. It's just not reaching it's potential. It's a shame these are the only younger actors and characters they have to choose from. IMO, the only scenes in this story that are good are the ones with just Will and Gabi. Nick, Chad, Sonny (seriously what has happened to Freddie Smith?), Rafe, Sami, and Caroline are all responsible for stinking this story up. I was one of the people the most irritated that Gabi got to just walk away from the explosions like nothing happened. I still feel that way. But more than that, I'm annoyed with Chad's reaction and now Sonny's. I think it's the actors.

I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing Daniel stare at his hands again. I really liked Kayla's response to the whole thing, and I liked the Jennifer/Abby scene. Maggie touching Daniel's hands was just BAD.

I need Nicole to get drunk STAT. I remember three years ago thinking that AZ was such a good crier. IDK if I've just gotten over it or if she's doing it differently now, but it's not good anymore.

Caroline and Rafe's reunion hug was AWKWARD.

So yeah. I didn't care for today. Oh, and did we miss Abby and Maggie finding out about what happened to Jennifer or was that while I was looking a list of top sports memes for the year?
I'm very much afraid to say this because I am likely to receive a cyber-punch. But I liked Sami in the pub scenes. I understand why it doesn't make sense, but I still liked it. And I also liked the little moment when she told Rafe "unfortunately, not when it matters most" when Rafe said he trusted her. I thought that moment was well played.

I think my issue with Sami is that I missed out on her so-called glory days. So, I don't have a real issue with her being written as a better person than she used to be. My biggest problem with the character for so long is that everything revolved around her and the stories sucked. But as a supporting character, she's suprisingly tolerable.
My issue is less that it doesn't make sense and more that it's not her and AS is AWFUL at it. I think Sami is being completely genuine (which I don't like) but it comes across fake.
What do you mean by it's not her? I'm not disagreeing, I'm justn ot sure what that means.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

lysie
(seriously what has happened to Freddie Smith?)
The question's a bit vague, so I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but...Freddie Smith sent out a tweet around the time that Will and Sonny first made love on-screen that revealed that he had been suffering from Bell's Palsy at the time of those scenes. In addition to not having full use of his facial muscles due to that fact, I have also seen speculation elsewhere that he's taking medications that are causing water retention, which would explain the weight gain that some viewers believe that they have seen recently.

The only thing that isn't clear is how long that condition remained an issue for Freddie. It might have cleared up quickly, in which case this would no longer be relevant.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
Dec 11 2012, 09:27 PM
lysie
esp13
lysie
I'm so torn. I like that Rafe and Sami (and EJ) are all in supporting roles. However, this is by far my least favorite version of Sami. I about can't take it. Some of it's the writing, and some of it's the acting. This isn't Sami, and she's so damn saccharine I just want to brush my teeth.

I feel like the concept of the story is good, though. It's just not reaching it's potential. It's a shame these are the only younger actors and characters they have to choose from. IMO, the only scenes in this story that are good are the ones with just Will and Gabi. Nick, Chad, Sonny (seriously what has happened to Freddie Smith?), Rafe, Sami, and Caroline are all responsible for stinking this story up. I was one of the people the most irritated that Gabi got to just walk away from the explosions like nothing happened. I still feel that way. But more than that, I'm annoyed with Chad's reaction and now Sonny's. I think it's the actors.

I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing Daniel stare at his hands again. I really liked Kayla's response to the whole thing, and I liked the Jennifer/Abby scene. Maggie touching Daniel's hands was just BAD.

I need Nicole to get drunk STAT. I remember three years ago thinking that AZ was such a good crier. IDK if I've just gotten over it or if she's doing it differently now, but it's not good anymore.

So yeah. I didn't care for today. Oh, and did we miss Abby and Maggie finding out about what happened to Jennifer or was that while I was looking a list of top sports memes for the year?
I'm very much afraid to say this because I am likely to receive a cyber-punch. But I liked Sami in the pub scenes. I understand why it doesn't make sense, but I still liked it. And I also liked the little moment when she told Rafe "unfortunately, not when it matters most" when Rafe said he trusted her. I thought that moment was well played.

I think my issue with Sami is that I missed out on her so-called glory days. So, I don't have a real issue with her being written as a better person than she used to be. My biggest problem with the character for so long is that everything revolved around her and the stories sucked. But as a supporting character, she's suprisingly tolerable.
My issue is less that it doesn't make sense and more that it's not her and AS is AWFUL at it. I think Sami is being completely genuine (which I don't like) but it comes across fake.
What do you mean by it's not her? I'm not disagreeing, I'm justn ot sure what that means.

I just don't think it's in character. I think my biggest issue is the portrayal, but even if the portrayal was spot on, it's just not in character.

Will&Sonny
Dec 11 2012, 09:30 PM
lysie
The question's a bit vague, so I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but...Freddie Smith sent out a tweet around the time that Will and Sonny first made love on-screen that revealed that he had been suffering from Bell's Palsy at the time of those scenes. In addition to not having full use of his facial muscles due to that fact, I have also seen speculation elsewhere that he's taking medications that are causing water retention, which would explain the weight gain that some viewers believe that they have seen recently.

The only thing that isn't clear is how long that condition remained an issue for Freddie. It might have cleared up quickly, in which case this would no longer be relevant.

I more meant his acting. He's just become so bland.

Will&Sonny

Honeybees
Dec 11 2012, 06:18 PM
Honestly, it was a true sabotage of Gabi's character to have her not report Melanie's kidnapping. She's the sister of a cop, and she should have known that she wouldn't really be liable for Andrew's actions (and if by some quirk of the law it was, her reporting the whole thing would go a long way to getting her off the hook). And she wasn't portrayed as being afraid that Andrew would hurt her or kill Melanie, two things that would have made her actions make some kind of sense. Instead, she was just being stupid and cowardly.
Gabi's first instinct was the go to the cops, but Andrew convinced her that they would both go to prison if she did. She also really wanted Chad, so she agreed to let Andrew keep Melanie locked up for a while longer. She later had a change of heart, but Andrew revealed that he had recorded one of their conversations that made her look guilty. He used that recording to blackmail her into keeping her mouth shut.

Will&Sonny

lysie
Dec 11 2012, 09:32 PM
Will&Sonny
Dec 11 2012, 09:30 PM
lysie

I more meant his acting. He's just become so bland.
Yeah, that's what I assumed that you meant. My point was that the Bell's Palsy could explain that, but we don't know that for certain. He looks like he has full use of his facial muscles at this point, IMO.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 11 2012, 09:38 PM
Honeybees
Honestly, it was a true sabotage of Gabi's character to have her not report Melanie's kidnapping. She's the sister of a cop, and she should have known that she wouldn't really be liable for Andrew's actions (and if by some quirk of the law it was, her reporting the whole thing would go a long way to getting her off the hook). And she wasn't portrayed as being afraid that Andrew would hurt her or kill Melanie, two things that would have made her actions make some kind of sense. Instead, she was just being stupid and cowardly.
Gabi's first instinct was the go to the cops, but Andrew convinced her that they would both go to prison if she did. She also really wanted Chad, so she agreed to let Andrew keep Melanie locked up for a while longer. She later had a change of heart, but Andrew revealed that he had recorded one of their conversations that made her look guilty. He used that recording to blackmail her into keeping her mouth shut.
That was my point. She was never afraid for her life. She let Melanie rot because she was afraid of going to prison. She knew what the right thing to do was, and she didn't do it to save her own skin. Melanie was being held prisoner in a basement, terrified for her life (possibly being sexually assaulted, though that was never addressed on screen). That is no small thing. Andrew was clearly nuts at this point, but she still stayed in cahoots with him to save her own skin.

Hamilton
Member Avatar

Yea! Daniel's hand is all better. Now he can shave and take a shower! Maybe he will even be able to comb his hair... Naaa that might be too much to wish for.

Chad is a whiny baby tattletale - oh woe is him. :huh:

Sonny is not much better.

I'm on the 'give Nicole a batch of dirty martinis and let her loose' train. Enough of these damn wasted tears. Breathe some life back in the spunky bitch.

Ouch Rafe, you might want to avoid the word 'trust' in future conversations with Sami. You know how Above Board Brady is sensitive about everyone being honest with her. :rolleyes:

Will&Sonny

As far as I can recall, the show never blamed Andrew for the explosion. He did set off the first explosion with a lighter, but he didn't cause the gas leak (or any of the subsequent explosions, which were the result of sparks from broken light fixtures and exposed wires), and Melanie was worried about the possibility of an explosion from the moment that she first noticed the gas leak, five or six episodes before the first explosion. There were also a number of cave-ins before the first explosion.

I think that the show treated the explosion as an inevitable disaster. It had been established that the underground tunnels had been leaking gas for a number of years, because that was also what had caused Lexie's brain tumor, and it seemed like the implication was that it was only a matter of time before the pressure would have caused an explosion. Andrew might have accelerated the process, which happened on a particularly bad day due to the big event that was happening that evening (Brady and Madison's wedding), but I'm not convinced that the writers ever intended for viewers to blame Andrew or Gabi for the explosion and subsequent deaths.

Perhaps that will change once the truth about Gabi's involvement in Melanie's kidnapping is revealed (and I do agree that it would make the stakes that much higher), but for now, I just don't see that happening.

six
Member Avatar

Honeybees
nolagirl
Dec 11 2012, 06:06 PM
Honeybees
Dec 11 2012, 06:00 PM
Gabi could have avoided all criminal liability if she had simply reported Andrew's kidnapping of Melanie immediately. Hiring someone to pretend to stalk you is not illegal, as long as she wasn't doing it to try and con money out of Chad. She made a big deal about refusing to report the stalking to the cops. So, there was no real crime or conspiracy until Andrew kidnapped Melanie, but the moment Gabi chose not to reveal Melanie's captivity or try and aid her - Gabi became part of the conspiracy and is liable. The fact that Andrew kidnapped Gabi before the explosion might make Gabi legally exempt from the consequences of the explosion, it doesn't make her morally exempt. She knew Andrew was crazy and committing a crime by holding Melanie, and she did nothing and he remained free to commit more crimes.
Good valid point about the stalking, if the cops had been involved THEN she would have been in trouble for that because of cops pay and lying to the police, but since that wasn't the case technically she gets a pass on criminal part there.
Andrew had her convinced that Chad wouldn't believe her even if the cops did. Not that this is a good reason to become an accomplice in a kidnapping.

Ireland98

six
Dec 11 2012, 11:21 PM
Honeybees
nolagirl
Dec 11 2012, 06:06 PM
Honeybees
Dec 11 2012, 06:00 PM
Gabi could have avoided all criminal liability if she had simply reported Andrew's kidnapping of Melanie immediately. Hiring someone to pretend to stalk you is not illegal, as long as she wasn't doing it to try and con money out of Chad. She made a big deal about refusing to report the stalking to the cops. So, there was no real crime or conspiracy until Andrew kidnapped Melanie, but the moment Gabi chose not to reveal Melanie's captivity or try and aid her - Gabi became part of the conspiracy and is liable. The fact that Andrew kidnapped Gabi before the explosion might make Gabi legally exempt from the consequences of the explosion, it doesn't make her morally exempt. She knew Andrew was crazy and committing a crime by holding Melanie, and she did nothing and he remained free to commit more crimes.
Good valid point about the stalking, if the cops had been involved THEN she would have been in trouble for that because of cops pay and lying to the police, but since that wasn't the case technically she gets a pass on criminal part there.
Andrew had her convinced that Chad wouldn't believe her even if the cops did. Not that this is a good reason to become an accomplice in a kidnapping.
Personally, I really don't give a lick about this whole kidnapping Melanie stuff. We all know Gabi isn't going anywhere and that she'll probably have Will and Sami defending her when the truth comes out. For some horrid reason, Gary Tomlin loves the Gabi, Will, Sami, and Rafe quad. :drunk:

I expect the DiMera's to come out looking like the bad guys and the Hernandez duo looking like innocent victims. :censored:

Will&Sonny

Ireland98
Dec 11 2012, 11:30 PM
We all know Gabi isn't going anywhere and that she'll probably have Will and Sami defending her when the truth comes out.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not the least bit convinced that this will happen. I think that Gabi's going to die or get sent to prison, but it's all just speculation at this point. Even if neither of those things happen, I still expect Will to be angry enough to fight for full custody of the child, but again...speculation, nothing more.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I am just not liking Nicole working in a church, I want her spunk and personality back and while its awesome she's out of Dannifer's orbit finally, trying to redeem her and make her good is just going to drain the life out of her even more. Sighs :(
Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

Hopeless_Dreamer
Dec 11 2012, 11:44 PM
I am just not liking Nicole working in a church, I want her spunk and personality back and while its awesome she's out of Dannifer's orbit finally, trying to redeem her and make her good is just going to drain the life out of her even more. Sighs :(
I would like to see her working for Kate just to stick it to Sami and Ej. Highly unlikely due to her and Kate's animosity towards each other. But it could be fun.

Ireland98

Will&Sonny
Dec 11 2012, 11:41 PM
Ireland98
We all know Gabi isn't going anywhere and that she'll probably have Will and Sami defending her when the truth comes out.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not the least bit convinced that this will happen. I think that Gabi's going to die or get sent to prison, but it's all just speculation at this point. Even if neither of those things happen, I still expect Will to be angry enough to fight for full custody of the child, but again...speculation, nothing more.
I disagree. Not a snowballs chance in Hell will Gary Tomlin let either Rafe or Gabi suffer. If anything, I think it's rather transparent he's trying to make Gabi look like a victim, Rafe look like the rootable hero, and the DiMera's looking like the bad guys. :eyeroll:
Gary was desperate to get Gabi/Rafe more connected to the core families and he found a disgusting way to do it. :puke:

lysie
Member Avatar

Ireland98
Dec 11 2012, 11:56 PM
Will&Sonny
Ireland98
I disagree. Not a snowballs chance in Hell will Gary Tomlin let either Rafe or Gabi suffer. If anything, I think it's rather transparent he's trying to make Gabi look like a victim, Rafe look like the rootable hero, and the DiMera's looking like the bad guys. :eyeroll:
Gary was desperate to get Gabi/Rafe more connected to the core families and he found a disgusting way to do it. :puke:
He didn't have a problem killing of Arianna.

Ireland98

lysie
Dec 11 2012, 11:59 PM
Ireland98
Dec 11 2012, 11:56 PM
Will&Sonny
Ireland98
True! But, given the writing for Gabi and Rafe, I just don't see either of them coming across as 'bad characters'. I see Tomlin writing Gabi as the victim and Rafe as the 'hero'.

Regardless of the "lock, stock, barrel" romance for EJAMI, I already foresee Sami going back to Rafe after discovering some 'scheme' committed by EJ.

So far I just see that Tomlin wants Hernandez to equal good and DiMera to equal bad. :sleep2:
Edited by Ireland98, Dec 12 2012, 12:16 AM.

Will&Sonny

Ireland98
Dec 12 2012, 12:10 AM
lysie
True! But, given the writing for Gabi and Rafe, I just don't see either of them coming across as 'bad characters'. I see Tomlin writing Gabi as the victim and Rafe as the 'hero'.
What lysie said. I've mentioned that in at least one other thread before, too. But I'm not necessarily on the "Hernandez Hate" bandwagon, so there's that.

If Tomlin is writing Gabi as the victim, why is he allowing Chad to tell people about her crimes? I just don't see it.

But, like I said before, it's all just speculation at this point. We'll find out soon enough.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 12 2012, 01:06 AM
Ireland98
Dec 12 2012, 12:10 AM
lysie
What lysie said. I've mentioned that in at least one other thread before, too. But I'm not necessarily on the "Hernandez Hate" bandwagon, so there's that.

If Tomlin is writing Gabi as the victim, why is he allowing Chad to tell people about her crimes? I just don't see it.

But, like I said before, it's all just speculation at this point. We'll find out soon enough.
So far I'm not seeing Gabi being portrayed as a victim at all. In the Melanie situation she was clearly and unequivocally written as a nutcase and a villain and in this situation it's uncertain where they're going. Sonny looks more like a victim right now than anyone, because he's being lied to and made a fool of (telling Gabi he doesn't want Will brought down by her drama without realizing it's very much Will's drama too). I will grant that the current writing has tried to rehabilitate Gabi somewhat, by having her confess to Melanie and by having her - at least so far - try to do the right thing about the baby. Some may not like the directions she's taken (considering an abortion, allowing Nick to claim paternity) but it seems pretty clear to me that her actions have been motivated primarily by wanting to do 'what is best', whatever that is. This 'rehabilitation' only goes so far though and the overriding picture is of a very flawed person. It's still not really clear what she's capable of if she thinks she has something to lose. It's also been emphasized that she hasn't been punished for what she did to Melanie (we have Chad emphasizing this frequently and now Sonny is emphasizing it to his father), which seems to imply to me that that punishment is coming in one way or another.

We won't know whether Gabi is intended to be the 'victim' until we see how the story develops, but right now all parties (Chad, Will, Nick and Gabi, with the possible exception of Sonny) are coming across as varying degrees of flawed and screwed up to me (and Sonny's halo may be tarnished soon depending on how he handles things going forward).

Lil
Member Avatar

lysie
esp13
lysie

I feel that way abou tAS myself. Any time she is supposed to be "sweet" or "sincere" she comes off completely fake to me. Definitely the actress there and not the writing. I also think any scenes she does with kids comes off completely fake and horrible too. The kids that are supposed to be her kids on the show have better chemistry with virtually EVERYONE else on the show lol

* Not JUST the writing I should say. SlamPig hasn't been written in character in ages.
Edited by Lil, Dec 12 2012, 10:14 AM.

Lil
Member Avatar

MissLola
Dec 11 2012, 11:48 PM
Hopeless_Dreamer
Dec 11 2012, 11:44 PM
I would like to see her working for Kate just to stick it to Sami and Ej. Highly unlikely due to her and Kate's animosity towards each other. But it could be fun.
I think Kate would look past it if it's in Kate's best interest. But I'd rather Kate and Victor work together. Maybe Nicole could work with John at Basic Black or something? I dunno. I'd like Nicole and kristen to become drinking buddies lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply