Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Paul Rauch has passed away
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 04:12 PM (1,201 Views)
Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Link

Sadly, legendary daytime producer Paul Rauch has passed away. He produced ANOTHER WORLD from 1972 to 1982, then ONE LIFE TO LIVE (1983 to 1991), SANTA BARBARA (1991-1993) and GUIDING LIGHT (1996-2002). His most recent work was as executive producer for THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS from 2008 to 2011.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Love him or hate him, the man is definitely one of the greatest people ever involved in the production of daytime drama.

Nate
Member Avatar
Bitch!

RIP :(

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

I had my issues with him but there's no denying his legacy and I'm sad to hear the news.

Checkers
Member Avatar

RIP. :frownie:

King
Member Avatar

So sad. :(

cajnej
Member Avatar

My sympathy to his family and friends.

LPS
Member Avatar

My sympathy to his family, but I thought his tenure at Y&R was awful.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

^His time at Y&R was pretty bad. I'd say his best years as an exec were at OLTL in the 80's. Nevertheless, RIP Paul Rauch!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Very sad news.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Matt
Dec 10 2012, 04:20 PM
Love him or hate him, the man is definitely one of the greatest people ever involved in the production of daytime drama.

Come on, you had to have to known that I was going to give this post a "dislike" once I saw it. I watched the last scene of my beloved "Santa Barbara" and it was him snuffing out his cigarette, much like he snuffed out my show.

I will NEVER forgive him for allowing the Dobsons to opt out of writing 'SB' and bringing Pam Long on. Sure, I do place much of the blame for 92-93 on Pam Long and the writing, but Rauch was the one in charge and he was the one who went down with the ship. It's not like he was incapable of producing great daytime drama. My mother raved about his "Another World," and I've heard (mostly) good things about his OLTL tenure, but he was just Oh-So-WRONG for Santa Barbara, which will always be MY soap and the one closest to MY heart.

May he rest in peace, but after watching him decimate the greatest piece of Daytime Drama (and Daytime Television and most of Primetime for that matter) in record time, I in no way can come on here and say he was one of the greatest people involved in the production of daytime drama.

That's like saying Ed Wood and Russ Meyer were two of the greatest people ever involved in the production (and direction) of film. It simply isn't true.

Irna Philips. Bill Bell. Agnes Nixon. Harding Lemay. Wes Kenney. Betty Corday. Bridget & Jerry Dobson. Doug Marland.

Those are the greatest people ever involved in the production of daytime drama. Paul Rauch wasn't even in their league.

But of course he may rest in peace.
Edited by juniorz1, Dec 20 2012, 03:43 AM.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Grandpa Hughes
Dec 10 2012, 05:19 PM
I had my issues with him but there's no denying his legacy.......
Yes. There's no denying that he was VERY lucky to have a writer as gifted as Harding Lemay on 'Another World.' That's his legacy- producing the work of one of the greatest writers in the history of soaps. Not exactly a tough job.

But EVERYTHING that came after (One Life To Live, SB w/Pam Long, GL w/the Claire Labine (another great writer), Millee Taggart, and Megan McTavish debacles, and Y&R with the AWFUL Maria Arena Bell) was pretty much crap, save the mixly reviewed (but critically panned) 'One Life to Live.'

Bill Bell has a daytime legacy. So do Irna Philips, Betty Corday, and Agnes Nixon.

But PAUL RAUCH?

Let's just say his production is only as strong as the writing of his shows, which he has nothing to do with except for hiring & firing all of the wrong people on every soap he worked on and contributed to the cancellation of.

But again, let me re-emphasize, may he Rest In Peace.
Edited by juniorz1, Dec 20 2012, 03:46 AM.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Shick
Dec 11 2012, 12:27 AM
^His time at Y&R was pretty bad. I'd say his best years as an exec were at OLTL in the 80's. Nevertheless, RIP Paul Rauch!
Uh, you must have been born in the mid to late 80s or early 90s because it's widely known and agreed upon that Paul Rauch's best years were at AW in the 70s and many say he is the one who pretty much killed OLTL's legacy. Both Ellen Holly & Robin Strasser left on his watch. Hell, Strasser was already fired under Rauch on 'Another World' (as Rachel Davis, the main character) in favor of Victoria Wyndham before he came to 'OLTL' and dumped her again.

So no, his best years certainly weren't over at OLTL.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

juniorz1
Dec 20 2012, 03:23 AM
Shick
Dec 11 2012, 12:27 AM
Uh, you must have been born in the mid to late 80s or early 90s because it's widely known and agreed upon that Paul Rauch's best years were at AW in the 70s and many say he is the one who pretty much killed OLTL's legacy. Both Ellen Holly & Robin Strasser left on his watch. Hell, Strasser was already fired under Rauch on 'Another World' (as Rachel Davis, the main character) in favor of Victoria Wyndham before he came to 'OLTL' and dumped her again.

So no, his best years certainly weren't over at OLTL.
Robin Strasser quit Another World because of her husband at the time.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply