Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 12/10; Twitter/FB list, Contact info in first post
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 09:36 AM (16,179 Views)
Mirage75
Member Avatar

freddie smith ‏@freddiemsmith
@wallykurth hey man just watched today's ep. Love working you!

https://twitter.com/freddiemsmith/status/279037062085218304

Edited by Mirage75, Dec 12 2012, 11:29 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

WillFan
Dec 12 2012, 09:30 PM
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8764233/1/

Did not Know where to post this but If Scott Reeves is leaving Gh,do you all think that his wife
Missy Reeves will leave Days?
Oh god, I hope so! :pray:
Edited by NocturnalBlondie, Dec 12 2012, 11:21 PM.

michr544125

Hope it's ok to post this but I hadn't seen this posted here unless I missed it from Dec 6. It sounds like Wally probably hadn't been taping in weeks if not months prior to this

Wally Kurth ‏@wallykurth
Spending day in Salem. Great to see old friends!

Lucky
Member Avatar
Rafe proves EJ is a little bitch

WillFan

Did not Know where to post this but If Scott Reeves is leaving Gh,do you all think that his wife
Hopefully not. Missy's amazing and so is Jennifer. She definitely needs to stay! :)

michr544125

Mirage75
Dec 12 2012, 11:16 PM
freddie smith ‏@freddiemsmith

@wallykurth hey man just watched today's ep. Love working you!

Wally Kurth ‏@wallykurth
@freddiemsmith thanks 'sonny' ill have to check it out.

ShaneDOOLFan

Melissa Reeves extended her contract I thought? Im sure Scott will get work, pretty good actor.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

Lucky
Dec 12 2012, 11:21 PM
WillFan

Hopefully not. Missy's amazing and so is Jennifer. She definitely needs to stay! :)
Yes... stay away! ;)

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

ShaneDOOLFan
Dec 12 2012, 11:24 PM
Melissa Reeves extended her contract I thought? Im sure Scott will get work, pretty good actor.
I'm not sure if she did or not. I know Jason's site originally had her contract up for September 2012, but I'm not sure if that was a logical assumption, or actual fact. I seem to recall people not being 100% sure on the duration of her contract, so it could be that it was a 3 year contract all along, and that its actual expiration is September 2013.

Maybe Jason can provide more info.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Please send Melissa Reeves packing with Scott Reeves. Jennifer used to be one of my top 5 favorite characters, but now her and her real life husband both drag their respective shows down when they are part of it.

Its also pathetic that Wally Kurth has to include DAYS as his "old friends." He should be a regular. If not let him go to GH where he's appreciated. He rocked it as Ned!

happy
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Dec 12 2012, 11:52 PM
Please send Melissa Reeves packing with Scott Reeves. Jennifer used to be one of my top 5 favorite characters, but now her and her real life husband both drag their respective shows down when they are part of it.

Its also pathetic that Wally Kurth has to include DAYS as his "old friends." He should be a regular. If not let him go to GH where he's appreciated. He rocked it as Ned!
:hail:

ITA. Preach!

Love Wally Kurth. GH is the better soap now, so I hope they get him.
Edited by happy, Dec 13 2012, 12:38 AM.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Regarding the crew terminations, I want to expand on what I was trying to explain last night, because I think people may be jumping to conclusions. There really could be a legitimate explanation that is based on the sale of the studio where Days is filmed. Now that NBC no longer owns the studio, there may be a question about who employs the technical crew and what unions they should come from.

Hollywood has a lot of strange union arrangements that are historical anachronisms. The crew positions for lighting, sound, camera, and video- and sound-editing are done on most television productions by different locals of the IATSE. But on Days, the employees who perform those duties are represented by NABET, which mainly represents workers involved in local television and live productions (such as local news broadcasts). I suspect that is a holdover from when soaps were live productions, because the same lighting and sound guys would work the entire day and just go from show to show. So they were employed by the NBC studio in Burbank and NBC negotiated a union agreement with NABET to cover those "broadcast employees" (and, for people who know LA, similar arrangements exist with KTTV or KTLA, major local channels that also have agreements with NABET). That just seems to have carried over even though Days has been recorded for decades, so that certain jobs are performed by NABET workers while others are performed by members of IATSE locals. (It isn't that different from how AFTRA and SAG remained divided for so long, even though they both represented actors. Because AFTRA historically represented actors in live TV and radio and SAG represented actors in filmed theatrical and television productions, there was a divide between which shows contracted with which unions that lasted well beyond the point when it made much sense to distinguish between AFTRA and SAG TV programs. When AFTRA finally began to hone in on traditional SAG territory, the merger took place.)

What I think happened here is that, due to the history of soaps, NBC had an agreement with NABET covering the technical crew members that worked on Days while NBC owned the Burbank studio where Days is shot. But when NBC sold the studio, that agreement would no longer have applied. That left an open question of who is responsible for providing those crew members. Is it still NBC, even though it no longer owns the studio and is not the producer? That seems unlikely. Is it Sony, which produces Days, and probably is considered the employer of the rest of the crew (like the actors, hairdressers, makeup artists, etc.)? Or is it the new owner of the studio? And if it is either of the latter two, what does that mean for the crew members if neither Sony nor the new owner have agreements with NABET (which, as far as I know, they don't)?

Obviously, Days will need boom operators, cameramen, and lighting technicians -- and it will get them. (Sony is signatory to all the basic IATSE agreements.) The real question is where they are going to come from and who will pay for them. It sounds like some offer was made to the former NABET workers to remain, but who knows the details or whether the workers could take the jobs without violating the terms of their union memberships. It just sounds like the layoffs of those crew members in this instance may not have been the result of cost-cutting as much as the result of the odd staffing arrangement.

Also, I don't think we should assume that laying off these workers will save money. We have to presume that the Days techs were getting the rates set forth in the NABET agreements, which are on their website. Under the NABET rate structure, the Technical Director and Lighting Director would have received $1,769 per week and an experienced rigger would have earned 1,557 per week. That may seem like a lot, but $1,769 per week translates to $44.25 per hour. IATSE Local 728, which is the Studio Electrical Lighting Technicians local, has a rate sheet online that I found, which showed its rates through July 2012. It had a weekly guaranteed rate for a Chief Lighting Tech of more than $2,400 per week. And the day rates may be lower for Local 728 workers, running from $35.55 to $40.91 per hour, but they come with minimum 9-hour calls. So employing Chief Lighting Techs as day workers would cost $40.91 per hour multiplied by five 9-hour days (45 hours), for a total of $1,840.95, which is more than the NABET workers made. The same is true for day workers at the lower pay rates, like riggers, who under Local 728's rates, would cost $1,599 for five days, more than employing the full-time NABET worker.

The disparity is much greater for editing. The hourly and weekly rates that the members of the Motion Picture Editors Guild ("MPEG") get are much higher than what NABET members get. The most-experienced videotape engineer receives $1,759 under the NABET agreement. A videotape editor under the MPEG dramatic agreement gets $425 daily (equivalent to $2,100 per week). In fact, under most agreements, rates are designed so that hourly rates with their built-in guarantees of the number of hours an employee is guaranteed to be paid to work (whether he or she works those hours or not) will come out higher than weekly rates. The agreements try to encourage employers to keep a stable group of workers, by giving them a discount for paying weekly rates. So I don't think that hiring a group of day workers would necessarily be cheaper than what NBC was paying.

Finally, since I mentioned editing, I should add that the decision to lay off crew that do things like post-production sound and video editing may be different. Days could be planning on having that work done at other facilities, either by outsourcing it, having it done at other NBC facilities, or moving it to Sony. That could be work that is consolidated with other studio work as a cost-cutting measure.

ChampagneRiver
Member Avatar

Could this end up being an additional financial burden for the show? Does NBC get to shift the costs of these employees entirely over to Sony and/or Corday?

WillFan
Member Avatar

Blake Berris■@BlakeBerris
These are the days of our lives... @KateMansi @camilabanus @freddiemsmith @NOH8Campaign
http://t.co/wfKpGZdQ

#noh8
http://t.co/dxsGEQNd

WillFan
Member Avatar

camila banus■@camilabanus
Blast with @camilabanus@KateMansi @BlakeBerris @freddiemsmith @NOH8Campaign
http://t.co/fkOfIA5G

WillFan
Member Avatar

freddie smith■@freddiemsmith
NoH8
http://t.co/ms1vOTno

annie21

jwsel
Dec 13 2012, 01:50 AM
Regarding the crew terminations, I want to expand on what I was trying to explain last night, because I think people may be jumping to conclusions. There really could be a legitimate explanation that is based on the sale of the studio where Days is filmed. Now that NBC no longer owns the studio, there may be a question about who employs the technical crew and what unions they should come from.

Hollywood has a lot of strange union arrangements that are historical anachronisms. The crew positions for lighting, sound, camera, and video- and sound-editing are done on most television productions by different locals of the IATSE. But on Days, the employees who perform those duties are represented by NABET, which mainly represents workers involved in local television and live productions (such as local news broadcasts). I suspect that is a holdover from when soaps were live productions, because the same lighting and sound guys would work the entire day and just go from show to show. So they were employed by the NBC studio in Burbank and NBC negotiated a union agreement with NABET to cover those "broadcast employees" (and, for people who know LA, similar arrangements exist with KTTV or KTLA, major local channels that also have agreements with NABET). That just seems to have carried over even though Days has been recorded for decades, so that certain jobs are performed by NABET workers while others are performed by members of IATSE locals. (It isn't that different from how AFTRA and SAG remained divided for so long, even though they both represented actors. Because AFTRA historically represented actors in live TV and radio and SAG represented actors in filmed theatrical and television productions, there was a divide between which shows contracted with which unions that lasted well beyond the point when it made much sense to distinguish between AFTRA and SAG TV programs. When AFTRA finally began to hone in on traditional SAG territory, the merger took place.)

What I think happened here is that, due to the history of soaps, NBC had an agreement with NABET covering the technical crew members that worked on Days while NBC owned the Burbank studio where Days is shot. But when NBC sold the studio, that agreement would no longer have applied. That left an open question of who is responsible for providing those crew members. Is it still NBC, even though it no longer owns the studio and is not the producer? That seems unlikely. Is it Sony, which produces Days, and probably is considered the employer of the rest of the crew (like the actors, hairdressers, makeup artists, etc.)? Or is it the new owner of the studio? And if it is either of the latter two, what does that mean for the crew members if neither Sony nor the new owner have agreements with NABET (which, as far as I know, they don't)?

Obviously, Days will need boom operators, cameramen, and lighting technicians -- and it will get them. (Sony is signatory to all the basic IATSE agreements.) The real question is where they are going to come from and who will pay for them. It sounds like some offer was made to the former NABET workers to remain, but who knows the details or whether the workers could take the jobs without violating the terms of their union memberships. It just sounds like the layoffs of those crew members in this instance may not have been the result of cost-cutting as much as the result of the odd staffing arrangement.

Also, I don't think we should assume that laying off these workers will save money. We have to presume that the Days techs were getting the rates set forth in the NABET agreements, which are on their website. Under the NABET rate structure, the Technical Director and Lighting Director would have received $1,769 per week and an experienced rigger would have earned 1,557 per week. That may seem like a lot, but $1,769 per week translates to $44.25 per hour. IATSE Local 728, which is the Studio Electrical Lighting Technicians local, has a rate sheet online that I found, which showed its rates through July 2012. It had a weekly guaranteed rate for a Chief Lighting Tech of more than $2,400 per week. And the day rates may be lower for Local 728 workers, running from $35.55 to $40.91 per hour, but they come with minimum 9-hour calls. So employing Chief Lighting Techs as day workers would cost $40.91 per hour multiplied by five 9-hour days (45 hours), for a total of $1,840.95, which is more than the NABET workers made. The same is true for day workers at the lower pay rates, like riggers, who under Local 728's rates, would cost $1,599 for five days, more than employing the full-time NABET worker.

The disparity is much greater for editing. The hourly and weekly rates that the members of the Motion Picture Editors Guild ("MPEG") get are much higher than what NABET members get. The most-experienced videotape engineer receives $1,759 under the NABET agreement. A videotape editor under the MPEG dramatic agreement gets $425 daily (equivalent to $2,100 per week). In fact, under most agreements, rates are designed so that hourly rates with their built-in guarantees of the number of hours an employee is guaranteed to be paid to work (whether he or she works those hours or not) will come out higher than weekly rates. The agreements try to encourage employers to keep a stable group of workers, by giving them a discount for paying weekly rates. So I don't think that hiring a group of day workers would necessarily be cheaper than what NBC was paying.

Finally, since I mentioned editing, I should add that the decision to lay off crew that do things like post-production sound and video editing may be different. Days could be planning on having that work done at other facilities, either by outsourcing it, having it done at other NBC facilities, or moving it to Sony. That could be work that is consolidated with other studio work as a cost-cutting measure.
Thanks for this. I knew about the sale of the studio and its resulting uncertainties, but it's nice to see the rate information. The weekly rates are undoubtedly part of what NBC is saving when it tapes so far in advance.

So what about benefits (e.g., health, pensions)? I'm assuming the day hires get their benefits exclusively through their unions, and Days/NBC/Sony are not covering those costs. But when it comes to the old crew members, were they considered full-time employees and thus entitled to benefits? Not having to pay benefits is a huge reason why companies outsource, and I heard that some crew members retired early when they saw this whole thing coming down. That to me implies a pension package coming from somewhere.

Yes, I understand that much of this change has to do with sorting out the studio sale implications (and the old labor agreements), but it's interesting that it's happening at the same time as the other layoffs mandated from Comcast. Is it truly a coincidence? Even if it is, the executives have to be making money somewhere by doing this. Perhaps they negotiated with the new studio owners that the owners would cover certain maintenance worker staff (e.g., air conditioning). That would allow individual rates to rise slightly while reducing the total production costs for the show by having to cover fewer staff positions. Just a thought.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

rosered
Dec 12 2012, 07:21 PM
@laurenkoslow

@dsrtprincess @ShawnC4realNews @daysofourlives @nbcdays yay Amal!!!! Really ' complicated' story on the way....messy & kinda wonderful
Oh goody, does this mean that SC will be involved in yet another major storyline? :drunk: Who wants to start taking bets on which legacy character and/or classic couple get ruined next for Daniel Jonas? :flipoff: As for Melissa Reeves, sorry that her husband lost his job, that sucks. However, this would be the perfect time for her to mercifully exit Days and move to Tennessee permanently with her "sweet" family and never never never never look back. ;)

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

WillFan

well it all depends, if they decide to go back to Tennessee, then I say yeah it's only a matter of time.

mrfixit
Member Avatar

Blake Berris■ @BlakeBerris

These are the days of our lives... @KateMansi @camilabanus @freddiemsmith @NOH8Campaign pic.twitter.com/wfKpGZdQ

Posted Image

ohgreatone22
Member Avatar

WillFan
Dec 13 2012, 02:19 AM
These are the days of our lives... @KateMansi @camilabanus @freddiemsmith @NOH8Campaign
http://t.co/wfKpGZdQ

#noh8
http://t.co/dxsGEQNd
Who are those other two people in the second picture? Is the girl Freddie's girlfriend?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply