Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 12/10; Twitter/FB list, Contact info in first post
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 09:36 AM (16,426 Views)
six
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Dec 10 2012, 04:04 PM
six
Dec 10 2012, 03:59 PM
lysie
Dec 10 2012, 03:47 PM
Victor got one last year but Sami has never had one.
Oh, right. I was going to complain about this, but actually, it makes sense to me. The only people who shouldn't have one, imo are Sami and Johnny, unless they make one for Syd, too.
I could see the Johnny connection...his twin is a Horton, it fits a bit better, and I don't get the Victor thing though....he should never have an ornament on that tree....
I don't think the twin thing matters at all, unless they're going to start giving ornaments to everyone else's half siblings as well. Victor makes sense to me because Maggie was married to Mickey and loyal to the Hortons for so long that she is a Horton, AFAIC, which makes her husband and children Hortons, at least for the purposes of the ceremony. It's a nice gesture to Maggie to keep including her and her new family.
Edited by six, Dec 10 2012, 04:25 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

six
Dec 10 2012, 04:21 PM
LuvingLumi
six
lysie
Dec 10 2012, 03:47 PM
Victor got one last year but Sami has never had one.
Oh, right. I was going to complain about this, but actually, it makes sense to me. The only people who shouldn't have one, imo are Sami and Johnny, unless they make one for Syd, too.
I could see the Johnny connection...his twin is a Horton, it fits a bit better, and I don't get the Victor thing though....he should never have an ornament on that tree....
I don't think the twin thing matters at all, unless they're going to start giving ornaments to everyone else's half siblings as well. Victor makes sense to me because Maggie was married to Mickey and loyal to the Hortons for so long that she is a Horton, AFAIC, which makes her husband and children Hortons.
It's very common (in my experience, at least) for one (young) sibling to get something simply because another (young) sibling is. Birthday gifts, for example -- if one sibling is having a birthday party, everyone that I know will purchase a small gift for the other sibling(s) as well, so that they don't feel left out. This continues until the kids are old enough to understand why they don't deserve gifts on another person's birthday.

Based on that, I find it perfectly acceptable to give Johnny an ornament so that he doesn't feel left out. :shrug:

I don't really have a problem with Victor receiving an ornament, either. This debate over who is or isn't a "real" Horton doesn't make sense to me, given all of the adoptions and such in the family. The Horton family is a blended family, and Tom and Alice weren't really in the business of excluding people for arbitrary reasons. I can't imagine Alice ever denying one of Maggie's kids an ornament simply because he wasn't a fan favorite or the storyline that made him one of her kids was contrived.

What bothers me is the people who should have an ornament, but don't -- like Marlena. However, that doesn't mean that it's okay to exclude other people just because Marlena has been excluded.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Am I the only one who doesn't really give a fuck about the ornaments?

six
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 10 2012, 04:43 PM
six
Dec 10 2012, 04:21 PM
LuvingLumi
six

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I don't think the twin thing matters at all, unless they're going to start giving ornaments to everyone else's half siblings as well. Victor makes sense to me because Maggie was married to Mickey and loyal to the Hortons for so long that she is a Horton, AFAIC, which makes her husband and children Hortons.
It's very common (in my experience, at least) for one (young) sibling to get something simply because another (young) sibling is. Birthday gifts, for example -- if one sibling is having a birthday party, everyone that I know will purchase a small gift for the other sibling(s) as well, so that they don't feel left out. This continues until the kids are old enough to understand why they don't deserve gifts on another person's birthday.

Based on that, I find it perfectly acceptable to give Johnny an ornament so that he doesn't feel left out. :shrug:

As I said in one of the earlier posts, nested in the one you quoted, I don't have an issue with Johnny having an ornament if Sydney gets one as well, but as it stands now, Johnny doesn't have an ornament because they don't want him to feel excluded on the off chance that he'll attend Christmas at the Horton house one day (if he does, where is the concern for Sydney's feelings?); he has an ornament that's left over from the time they thought he was a Horton, and since it turns out that he's not a Horton,, it's time for his ornament to go the way of Carrie's, Chloe's, Nicole's etc.

AFaithL

I'm a stickler for tradition. As much a I love Marlena, she shouldn't have an ornament. She's not a Horton or married to one.

Neither is Sami. Hence, no ornament. Johnny and Sydney, same thing. Unless either of them marries a Horton, no ornament. And if a divorce occurs? No ornament the next year. Like Nicole, for example, doesn't have an ornament because she's no longer marries to Lucas.

"Family friends" and "ex-spouses" should not be on the tree. Period. For example, I understand Gabby getting an ornament, because she's married to a Horton. But Rafe? Not a Horton relative or a Horton spouse. If he marries into the family, fine. But as of now, no ornaments.

It waters down the tradition if everyone, including ex-wives, ex-husbands, and friends, get onaments. it becomes meaningless at that point.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Dec 10 2012, 04:51 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't really give a fuck about the ornaments?
I want to see the tradition every year and I certainly have preferences for who and who shouldn't have an ornament, but I don't care too much as the I haven't watched the show regularly since the Ava mess.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Well, Doug received an ornament before he was a Horton. True, he was having an affair with Julie at the time but no one knew it (he hadn't met Addie yet). The Hortons gave it to him because of his relationship with Bill in prison and because he had no family of his own. I admit I was annoyed when Daniel, Victor, and Melanie all received theirs in one fell swoop but I think my annoyance had a lot to do with the contrivance and haste of that storyline. I love the Hortons and the ornament tradition but I don't believe they were ever as strict in giving them out as some of the viewers are.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I personally don't like that they've started handing out Horton ornaments willy nilly. They were originally made by Tom's mother as gifts for Tom & Alice and each of the kids and Alice kept the tradition going. I'm sure Tom's mother never intended Daniel Jonas to have a damn ornament.

Will&Sonny

six
Dec 10 2012, 04:58 PM
As I said in one of the earlier posts, nested in the one you quoted, I don't have an issue with Johnny having an ornament if Sydney gets one as well, but as it stands now, Johnny doesn't have an ornament because they don't want him to feel excluded on the off chance that he'll attend Christmas at the Horton house one day (if he does, where is the concern for Sydney's feelings?); he has an ornament that's left over from the time they thought he was a Horton, and since it turns out that he's not a Horton,, it's time for his ornament to go the way of Carrie's, Chloe's, Nicole's etc.

Re: the bolded portion...until recently, Sydney would have been too young to have feelings of exclusion, so that's a moot point. Beyond that, my final statement would apply -- that [IMO, at least] the fact that certain people have been unfairly excluded doesn't mean that we should be upset about other people not being excluded.

I'd be fine with Sydney receiving an ornament simply so that she doesn't feel left out (not that there aren't other reasons that she could receive one; I'm just saying that would be enough of a reason for me), but if that's not why Johnny received his ornament, then it doesn't really matter, I suppose.

I disagree that Johnny's ornament privileges should be revoked, unless Sami's privileges are also revoked -- otherwise, it doesn't make sense for a woman's children to not be consider at least half-Horton, if that woman is considered to be a(n honorary) Horton herself. But I feel like this is all just a circular argument, because now we're back to the fact that Sydney apparently doesn't have an ornament yet. I can only reiterate what I've said before -- finding examples where the "rules" haven't been followed isn't, IMO, an acceptable justification for those "rules" to continue to be ignored in other situations.

Will&Sonny

AFaithL
Dec 10 2012, 05:06 PM
"Family friends" and "ex-spouses" should not be on the tree. Period.
Is that how Tom and Alice felt? (That's a serious question.)

That's the most important thing to me, and IMO, I don't think that they necessarily agreed with that statement. Some of the more serious history buffs could probably prove or disprove this theory more capably than I would be able to, though.

Sure, random spouses who never really interacted with the family afterward (like Nicole or Chloe) are one thing, but "family friends" are another matter entirely. I'm sure that Tom and Alice have probably given ornaments to people in the past who weren't "technically" Hortons (like Doug, as someone mentioned above) -- they were considered to be family, surnames and blood be damned, and that was all that would have mattered to Tom and Alice. Frankly, that's all that matters to a lot of people in real life, so I don't find it odd at all.

It's easy to try to apply our own rules to the tradition, but I think that it's important to remember that they're our rules -- not necessarily Tom and Alice's.
Edited by Will&Sonny, Dec 10 2012, 05:31 PM.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

KJAlfonso: Oh my gosh!; ))))) I received an early Christmas Gift ,WOW!! Took my breath away Thank youuuuuuu http://lockerz.com/s/267970088 http://lockerz.com/s/267970095
https://twitter.com/KJAlfonso/status/278258774798651393

KJAlfonso: This is soo Gorgeous ,what an incredible gift,Pure perfection; )) Thank Youuu all soo Very much.XO http://lockerz.com/s/267970326
https://twitter.com/KJAlfonso/status/278259182556311552

blueskies
Member Avatar

^Doug is married to Julie, was married to Addie, and is the father of Hope, so he has a very strong Horton connection.

As far as I know, they have never handed out ornaments to family friends.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Dec 10 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm a stickler for tradition. As much a I love Marlena, she shouldn't have an ornament. She's not a Horton or married to one.

Neither is Sami. Hence, no ornament. Johnny and Sydney, same thing. Unless either of them marries a Horton, no ornament. And if a divorce occurs? No ornament the next year. Like Nicole, for example, doesn't have an ornament because she's no longer marries to Lucas.

"Family friends" and "ex-spouses" should not be on the tree. Period. For example, I understand Gabby getting an ornament, because she's married to a Horton. But Rafe? Not a Horton relative or a Horton spouse. If he marries into the family, fine. But as of now, no ornaments.

It waters down the tradition if everyone, including ex-wives, ex-husbands, and friends, get onaments. it becomes meaningless at that point.
Totally agree here, If you're no longer part of the family by marriage you should not have an ornament on the tree. Johnny is not at the Horton house on Christmas he is with the Brady or DiMera families as is Sydney.

Allie is with Lucas at the Horton house and FINALLY that poor child actually gets recognition from someone, although you'd never know she was a Horton for as much as before Lucas came back to town she was involved with them. Poor child has never gotten anything in recognition like Johnny and Sydney.

As for Ex's Nicole, Chloe, Sami and others ornaments should have been given to them when they were no longer part of the family to put on their own trees, at their own homes. Now Jack should still have one because he died (killed).

My bet is though that Rafe gets an ornament, via Gaby. Irony Gaby will have an ornament now on the same tree with Daniel and Melanie, wonder how But in skee Maggie is going to feel about her when or if the truth ever comes out, as well as Orange glow. Now that's a Christmas celebration I'd love to see, Nick defending his wife from his cousin the girl whose (supposed) father he murdered, and from her real father for his wife having his daughter kidnapped, not even mentioning Abby and Saint Jenn for her being responsible for Jack's death. :popcorn:

jam6242
Member Avatar

blueskies
Dec 10 2012, 05:36 PM
^Doug is married to Julie, was married to Addie, and is the father of Hope, so he has a very strong Horton connection.

As far as I know, they have never handed out ornaments to family friends.
I love Doug but he wasn't married or engaged to a Horton (or even met Addie, let alone had Hope) when he was given his ornament. The Hortons took him under their wing(s) because of his association with Bill.

six
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 10 2012, 05:21 PM
six

Re: the bolded portion...until recently, Sydney would have been too young to have feelings of exclusion, so that's a moot point. Beyond that, my final statement would apply -- that [IMO, at least] the fact that certain people have been unfairly excluded doesn't mean that we should be upset about other people not being excluded.

I'd be fine with Sydney receiving an ornament simply so that she doesn't feel left out (not that there aren't other reasons that she could receive one; I'm just saying that would be enough of a reason for me), but if that's not why Johnny received his ornament, then it doesn't really matter, I suppose.

I disagree that Johnny's ornament privileges should be revoked, unless Sami's privileges are also revoked -- otherwise, it doesn't make sense for a woman's children to not be consider at least half-Horton, if that woman is considered to be a(n honorary) Horton herself. But I feel like this is all just a circular argument, because now we're back to the fact that Sydney apparently doesn't have an ornament yet. I can only reiterate what I've said before -- finding examples where the "rules" haven't been followed isn't, IMO, an acceptable justification for those "rules" to continue to be ignored in other situations.
It's not like Sydney was just sorased. She's been old enough to notice the exclusion for at least two years now. Or she would, if the Dimera kids ever attended the celebration, which they haven't, thus far. I don't think Sami should have an ornament at all, no matter what happens with Johnny's.

Anyway, I think if Tom and Alice were in the habit of handing ornaments out to every kid, Sami would have had one way back in the 80s when they considered her their granddaughter, but she didn't.
Edited by six, Dec 10 2012, 05:48 PM.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

six
Dec 10 2012, 05:42 PM
Will&Sonny
Dec 10 2012, 05:21 PM
six

It's not like Sydney was just sorased. She's been old enough to notice the exclusion for at least two years now. Or she would, if the Dimera kids ever attended the celebration, which they haven't, thus far. I don't think Sami should have an ornament at all, no matter what happens with Johnny's.
Like I said give Sami, her and Johnny their ornaments for her home, jeez Sami has enough kids and spouses to fill up her tree. She's have to make ones for Allie and Sydney at her home.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

First, Victor is peeling potatoes, now he's playing Santa and getting a Horton Tradition ornament. What is this soap world coming to? :fp2:

OliveAnn

talbab1994
Dec 10 2012, 05:58 PM
First, Victor is peeling potatoes, now he's playing Santa and getting a Horton Tradition ornament. What is this soap world coming to? :fp2:
I'm telling you, Maggie Simmons Horton is the worst thing to happen to Victor Kiriakis. Magic were a fun idea at first, but got really bad when Victor transformed into a teddy bear.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Of course, it's not like they've never retired an ornament either. Just because you've gotten an ornament once, doesn't mean it gets put up every year in perpetuity.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Our beloved Jason47 lists all of the Horton ornaments here --> http://www.jason47.com/days/dayschristmas.html

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply