Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 12/10; Twitter/FB list, Contact info in first post
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 09:36 AM (16,130 Views)
Mirage75
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Dec 10 2012, 04:51 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't really give a fuck about the ornaments?
I could careless about the ornaments too . It's become such a joke anymore.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mirage75
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Dec 10 2012, 05:58 PM
First, Victor is peeling potatoes, now he's playing Santa and getting a Horton Tradition ornament. What is this soap world coming to? :fp2:
ugh! I hate what they have done with Victor. :(

I miss the old Victor that could careless about this shit.

This show is such a joke anymore.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Dec 10 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm a stickler for tradition. As much a I love Marlena, she shouldn't have an ornament. She's not a Horton or married to one.

Neither is Sami. Hence, no ornament. Johnny and Sydney, same thing. Unless either of them marries a Horton, no ornament. And if a divorce occurs? No ornament the next year. Like Nicole, for example, doesn't have an ornament because she's no longer marries to Lucas.

"Family friends" and "ex-spouses" should not be on the tree. Period. For example, I understand Gabby getting an ornament, because she's married to a Horton. But Rafe? Not a Horton relative or a Horton spouse. If he marries into the family, fine. But as of now, no ornaments.

It waters down the tradition if everyone, including ex-wives, ex-husbands, and friends, get onaments. it becomes meaningless at that point.
Honestly, it would make more sense for Marlena to have one than Chloe, Daniel, Melanie, Sami, Gabi and other randoms combined. All throughout the 80s, Marlena WAS Alice and Tom's daughter. They cared, loved and protected her like one (Tom arranged a wedding in a day for her, for crying out loud, he loved her that much - he didn't even bite at Alice's attempts to pick a fight with him to stop him. He loved her as a daughter, and so did Alice) and to Tom & Alice, that is what counted. It wasn't shown as much in the 90s, but it was still very much there.

Tom walked her down the isle and Alice was the one she sought out for motherly advice. She is not some "family friend". They were her second set of parents, and for her to have an ornament would be quite normal. Except that they've totally lost their meaning the last... 10 years, so I'll just remember Marlena and her extra-parents with the love they were shown onscreen, that's certainly more fun than the crap that's shown us now.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

OliveAnn
Dec 10 2012, 06:17 PM
talbab1994
Dec 10 2012, 05:58 PM
First, Victor is peeling potatoes, now he's playing Santa and getting a Horton Tradition ornament. What is this soap world coming to? :fp2:
I'm telling you, Maggie Simmons Horton is the worst thing to happen to Victor Kiriakis. Magic were a fun idea at first, but got really bad when Victor transformed into a teddy bear.
Maggie Simmons Horton has been a bad thing to happen for a long time. And the last thing I wanted is for them to stick them with Victor Kiriakis, who should be a total freaking badass, not a potato peeling wuss.

DAYSisHOT
Member Avatar

I would love to see the return of Bonnie's ordament!

MissLola
Member Avatar

Mirage75
Dec 10 2012, 06:30 PM
granolagirl
I could careless about the ornaments too . It's become such a joke anymore.
I also don't give a fuck about the ornaments. But maybe that's just because I don't celebrate Christmas.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

This is probably anti-tradition but...why don't the other families have their own Horton ornament equivalents, so that TPTB don't have to worry so much about them? Why can't there be the Horton stuff, and the Brady stuff (with characters crossing the lines as necessary based on marriage, visitation rights), and the Dimera stuff, and the Kiriakis stuff. Make it a thing for new couples too, to establish their own holiday tradition. Could be a neat little romantic thing, or whatever. Could also showcase diversity, if the show really had any of that.

I just don't see why there has to be just one holiday thing and that's it.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

granolagirl
Thank God I am not the only one, never meant that much for me.

anya
Member Avatar

Can we get a filter for "ornament(s)"? :laugh:

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

px780
Dec 10 2012, 07:05 PM
This is probably anti-tradition but...why don't the other families have their own Horton ornament equivalents, so that TPTB don't have to worry so much about them? Why can't there be the Horton stuff, and the Brady stuff (with characters crossing the lines as necessary based on marriage, visitation rights), and the Dimera stuff, and the Kiriakis stuff. Make it a thing for new couples too, to establish their own holiday tradition. Could be a neat little romantic thing, or whatever. Could also showcase diversity, if the show really had any of that.

Wait...now that you've mentioned that....didn't they start something last year at Horton Town Square where anyone could purchase an ornament to go on the town's tree? I could swear I remember Bradison doing that.

That gives them the option to expand the ornament thing across the cast and not just leave it with the Hortons...which I personally think is a shame.

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

I miss Bonnie's ornament :blush:

concerned
Member Avatar

Ally
Dec 10 2012, 08:34 PM
I miss Bonnie.... hope she makes it back for Nick and Gabi's wedding... I miss a bit of crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beVbo0yTaDI

The look on Sami's face Priceless.
And back when Jen was fun. and Lucas was shown.

Edited by concerned, Dec 10 2012, 08:42 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

greeneyedgirl
Member Avatar

concerned
Dec 10 2012, 08:41 PM
Ally
I miss Bonnie.... hope she makes it back for Nick and Gabi's wedding... I miss a bit of crazy.

Thanks for sharing! That was really fun... why can't Days do more fun stuff like this??

lysie
Member Avatar

In 2004, they made a point of saying that an engaged to Lucas Sami would not get an ornament until the following year when they got married. She already had a Horton offspring.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

px780
Dec 10 2012, 07:05 PM

Its the Horton tradition because the Hortons were the achor family of the show. They were the ones viewers wanted to spend the holidays with. The other families are nice but they will never will never embody the show like the hortons did. When they killed the hortons they killed the importance of their holiday show.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 10 2012, 09:48 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

concerned
Dec 10 2012, 08:41 PM
Ally

I miss Bonnie too :(

If anyone's interested, here's her infamous "ornament"!

granolagirl
Member Avatar

anya
Dec 10 2012, 07:52 PM
Can we get a filter for "ornament(s)"? :laugh:
It should clearly be BALLS.

http://youtu.be/_uPjgOsvGrc?t=5m27s

Jason47
Member Avatar

"DAYS" NABET CREW MEMBERS SET TO BE LAID OFF:

News is coming out that the "Days" NABET crew members have been laid off, effective December 31. NABET comprises most of the positions in the audio, lighting and video departments. Many are long-time veterans of the show. Of the group, technical directors Mike Caruso & J.C. O'Neill have been with the show the longest, since the early 1980's. Lighting director Ted Polmanski and cameramen John Sizemore and Mike Mecartea joined the show full-time after "Santa Barbara" was cancelled in 1992. Jackie Frazier, who "Days" had write a few episodes from 2001-2003, has been a boom operator with the show since the mid-1990's. Overall, the NABET crew members were responsible for 35 of 212 Daytime Emmy nominations that the show has received through the years.

In happier times, here was NABET's advertisement, congratulating "Days" on its 30th anniversary in 1995: http://www.jason47.com/jason47b/images/hr19.JPG

NABET-CWA Local 53 includes most, if not all, of these departments:

Technical Directors John C. O'Neill, Mike Caruso
Lighting Directors Ted Polmanski, Mark Levin
Audio Roger Cortes
Boom Operators Harry Young, Jacqueline Frazier
Cameras John Sizemore, Michael Mecartea, J.C. O'Neill, Mike Caruso
Post Production Associate Producer/A.D. Lugh Powers
Editors/A.D.s Tina Keller, Jenee Muyeau
Post Production Audio Zoli Osaze, C.A.S.
Assistant Editors Christopher Lewis, Kevin Martinez
Video Tape Operator Ken Williamson
Senior Video Alexis Dellar Hanson
Electronic Maintenance Ron Hanff
Digital Systems Maintenance Michael Vick, Chris Robertson, Byron Stultz

Here are some quotes regarding the planned layoffs, from the October 29, 2012 edition of The Burbank Leader:

More than 175 employees at entertainment-related companies in Burbank likely will be laid off starting in December...studio representatives said.

NBCUniversal issued 50 layoff notices effective Dec. 31, according to the state. The employees — who primarily fill technical and operations positions — are represented by the National Assn. of Broadcast Employees and Technicians - Communications Workers of America, Local 53.

Union president Steve Ross said NBCUniversal officials are saying the workers aren’t needed because the company no longer owns the studio lot in Burbank, which it sold in 2007. Some of the air-conditioning and building-services workers have been hired by the lot’s new owner, Ross said. However, production staffers who work on “Days of Our Lives” are still in limbo, he added.

Ross said he has filed grievances against NBCUniversal over the layoffs. “I don’t agree with what they’re doing,” he said.

http://articles.burbankleader.com/2012-10-29/news/tn-blr-1029-layoffs-scheduled-to-hit-entertainment-industry-in-burbank-and-glendale_1_layoff-notices-representatives-disney-employees

MONDAY 12/10 UPDATE
Matthew Borlenghi, who appeared in 11 episodes as the mayor of Salem on "Days" in 2008, has become involved in the legal dispute between "Modern Family" actress Ariel Winter and her mother. Ariel's mother has filed a defamation lawsuit against Borlenghi:

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The mother of "Modern Family" actress Ariel Winter sued an associate of her adult daughter for defamation Monday, claiming he falsely labeled her an "abusive monster" in an online comment about an ongoing custody struggle for the teenage star.

Chrisoula Workman filed the defamation and false light lawsuit against Matthew Borlenghi, claiming his comment attached to a Nov. 9 Los Angeles Times online story was false and has harmed her reputation.

Borlenghi is an actor who teaches at a studio operated by Shanelle Gray, Winter's adult sister who currently has custody of the 14-year-old actress. A judge temporarily stripped Workman of custody amid allegations she had been physically and emotionally abusive to the star.

A trial on whether Workman will be completely lose custody is scheduled to begin Wednesday.

Borlenghi said he had not yet seen the lawsuit and declined to say whether he posted a comment about the story on the Times website. The story centered on Workman's allegations that Winter was having an improper relationship with an 18-year-old actor.

"This is a total falsehood," the comment attributed to Borlenghi states. "The mother is grasping and clawing to find a way not to lose her money-maker, and hide the fact that she is an abusive monster."

The comment cites personal interactions with Workman for forming the opinions in the post.

"All I can say is that David (Gray) and Shanelle Gray are very close friends of mine and comments that Chris has made are absolutely fabricated," Borlenghi said when contacted about the case. "The negative comments she's made about her own daughter in order to try to get custody back of Ariel are truly disgusting."

Workman's lawsuit includes several pages of sworn declarations from tutors and other friends and associates denying she has been abusive to her daughter. The declarations have been filed in the guardianship case and may be considered by a judge who has to determine whether to allow Gray to continue caring for her sister.

A judge said last month that child protective investigators had evidence of emotional abuse toward Winter.

Workman has denied she has been abusive toward her daughter.

Guardianship cases in California are public record. Attorneys for Winter's sister requested the case and its proceedings be sealed, but a judge refused. The case was filed under Winter's birth name, Ariel Workman, in part to avoid attention.

Although The Associated Press does not generally name underage victims of abuse, Winter's name is being used because it is included in the public guardianship case.

Besides playing Alex Dunphy on ABC's "Modern Family," Winter's credits include appearances on several TV series, including "ER" and "Phineas and Ferb," and movies such as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," "Ice Age: The Meltdown" and "ParaNorman."
Edited by Jason47, Dec 12 2012, 01:42 AM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 10 2012, 05:30 PM
AFaithL
Dec 10 2012, 05:06 PM
"Family friends" and "ex-spouses" should not be on the tree. Period.
Is that how Tom and Alice felt? (That's a serious question.)

That's the most important thing to me, and IMO, I don't think that they necessarily agreed with that statement. Some of the more serious history buffs could probably prove or disprove this theory more capably than I would be able to, though.

Sure, random spouses who never really interacted with the family afterward (like Nicole or Chloe) are one thing, but "family friends" are another matter entirely. I'm sure that Tom and Alice have probably given ornaments to people in the past who weren't "technically" Hortons (like Doug, as someone mentioned above) -- they were considered to be family, surnames and blood be damned, and that was all that would have mattered to Tom and Alice. Frankly, that's all that matters to a lot of people in real life, so I don't find it odd at all.

It's easy to try to apply our own rules to the tradition, but I think that it's important to remember that they're our rules -- not necessarily Tom and Alice's.
Christmas 1994, Alice said one of my favorite quotes:

"All the people who keep Tom Horton in their hearts are Hortons."

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Dec 10 2012, 06:27 PM
Our beloved Jason47 lists all of the Horton ornaments here --> http://www.jason47.com/days/dayschristmas.html
Have I reached beloved status??

Yay!! :cart:

Thanks, Matt :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply