Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 12/10; Twitter/FB list, Contact info in first post
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 09:36 AM (16,507 Views)
Mirage75
Member Avatar

Jason47
Dec 11 2012, 04:17 AM
Matt
Dec 10 2012, 06:27 PM
Our beloved Jason47 lists all of the Horton ornaments here --> http://www.jason47.com/days/dayschristmas.html
Have I reached beloved status??

Yay!! :cart:

Thanks, Matt :)
WOW!

That's incredible. What an amazing history.

Awesome job, Jason. :)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

Jason47
Dec 11 2012, 04:16 AM
Will&Sonny
Dec 10 2012, 05:30 PM
AFaithL
Dec 10 2012, 05:06 PM
"Family friends" and "ex-spouses" should not be on the tree. Period.
Is that how Tom and Alice felt? (That's a serious question.)

That's the most important thing to me, and IMO, I don't think that they necessarily agreed with that statement. Some of the more serious history buffs could probably prove or disprove this theory more capably than I would be able to, though.

Sure, random spouses who never really interacted with the family afterward (like Nicole or Chloe) are one thing, but "family friends" are another matter entirely. I'm sure that Tom and Alice have probably given ornaments to people in the past who weren't "technically" Hortons (like Doug, as someone mentioned above) -- they were considered to be family, surnames and blood be damned, and that was all that would have mattered to Tom and Alice. Frankly, that's all that matters to a lot of people in real life, so I don't find it odd at all.

It's easy to try to apply our own rules to the tradition, but I think that it's important to remember that they're our rules -- not necessarily Tom and Alice's.
Christmas 1994, Alice said one of my favorite quotes:

"All the people who keep Tom Horton in their hearts are Hortons."

Thanks, Jason. That's exactly the kind of thing that I would expect Alice to say about the subject.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Mirage75
Dec 11 2012, 04:22 AM
WOW!

Thanks, Mirage75.

I'm currently working on adding in the recaps of the 1969, 1972 and 1973 Christmases, so be sure to check back again later this month. Eventually, I hope to get all the info on the yet-to-be researched Christmases of 1974-1982, so they will be up sometime in the future.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Quote:

Thanks, Jason. That's exactly the kind of thing that I would expect Alice to say about the subject.

Yes, it was nice to hear her say that, especially in 1994, the first full year without Tom.

I don't know how rare the "Alice" ornament replicas are (they sold it, and many other Horton ornaments for a brief time), but it's always one of my favorite ornaments to add to the tree when I decorate!!
Edited by Jason47, Dec 11 2012, 04:29 AM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Mirage75
Dec 11 2012, 04:22 AM
Jason47
Dec 11 2012, 04:17 AM
Matt
Dec 10 2012, 06:27 PM
Our beloved Jason47 lists all of the Horton ornaments here --> http://www.jason47.com/days/dayschristmas.html
Have I reached beloved status??

Yay!! :cart:

Thanks, Matt :)
WOW!

Hey Mirage....that's just one of the Christmas pages.

If you want even more Christmas fun, and to watch the complete first "Days" Christmas episode from 1965, check out this other Christmas link on my site:

http://www.jason47.com/days/dayschristmashistory.html

Tons of clips and history on that page!!

Will&Sonny

Jason47
Dec 11 2012, 04:28 AM
Yes, it was nice to hear her say that, especially in 1994, the first full year without Tom.

I don't know how rare the "Alice" ornament replicas are (they sold it, and many other Horton ornaments for a brief time), but it's always one of my favorite ornaments to add to the tree when I decorate!!
No matches on eBay, but damn, doing a search for "Days of our Lives" yields a lot of Playgirl magazines. :lol:

Jason47
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 11 2012, 04:34 AM
Jason47

No matches on eBay, but damn, doing a search for "Days of our Lives" yields a lot of Playgirl magazines. :lol:
Yeah I don't even have the complete set.

I know I saw Bo/Hope being sold at one point, but when I went to whatever site was selling them back then (this was like 10 years ago), they were no longer being sold. They were official Days merchandise, manufactured by Sony.

The set I have is just Alice/Jack/Jennifer/Shawn Douglas/Days logo. I know I'm at least missing Bo & Hope and who knows who else. But those ornaments are definitely some of the favorites of my varied "Days" collection!! Those and the Mac Carey awards. Since things like that are so unique and rare, it makes them more special than a magazine or script, etc...
Edited by Jason47, Dec 11 2012, 04:41 AM.

annie21

Will&Sonny
Dec 11 2012, 04:24 AM
Jason47
Will&Sonny
AFaithL
Dec 10 2012, 05:06 PM
"Family friends" and "ex-spouses" should not be on the tree. Period.
Is that how Tom and Alice felt? (That's a serious question.)

That's the most important thing to me, and IMO, I don't think that they necessarily agreed with that statement. Some of the more serious history buffs could probably prove or disprove this theory more capably than I would be able to, though.

Sure, random spouses who never really interacted with the family afterward (like Nicole or Chloe) are one thing, but "family friends" are another matter entirely. I'm sure that Tom and Alice have probably given ornaments to people in the past who weren't "technically" Hortons (like Doug, as someone mentioned above) -- they were considered to be family, surnames and blood be damned, and that was all that would have mattered to Tom and Alice. Frankly, that's all that matters to a lot of people in real life, so I don't find it odd at all.

It's easy to try to apply our own rules to the tradition, but I think that it's important to remember that they're our rules -- not necessarily Tom and Alice's.

Going by that Alice quote, there are quite a few people who have recently gotten ornaments who shouldn't have, including all of the ones last year. Victor? Keeping Tom Horton in his heart? Even for this potato-peeling, sweater-wearing, Santa-dressing version, that's a stretch.

When non-family members got ornaments in the past (e.g., Doug), it was a beautiful moment and a major milestone in the life of that character because it gave them a sense of belonging and peace that they had been searching for. And it was Alice herself choosing to extend that honor to someone who had somehow been through a lot with the family in some way.

Lately, it seems like the ornaments are being handed out like cocktail napkins. Just like other aspects of the show's legacy, modern-era writers don't seem to honor this tradition as much as they exploit it and contort it for their own plot-driven devices. We the audience have to work hard to see past these machinations and still try to enjoy what's left of the occasion.

[Thanks, Jason. I had fun browsing through the first link and will take a gander at the other one you provided.]

Daysofold

annie21
Dec 11 2012, 08:41 AM
Will&Sonny
Jason47
Will&Sonny

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepconsidered to be family, surnames and blood be damned, and that was all that would have mattered to Tom and Alice. Frankly, that's all that matters to a lot of people in real life, so I don't find it odd at all.

Going by that Alice quote, there are quite a few people who have recently gotten ornaments who shouldn't have, including all of the ones last year. Victor? Keeping Tom Horton in his heart? Even for this potato-peeling, sweater-wearing, Santa-dressing version, that's a stretch.

When non-family members got ornaments in the past (e.g., Doug), it was a beautiful moment and a major milestone in the life of that character because it gave them a sense of belonging and peace that they had been searching for. And it was Alice herself choosing to extend that honor to someone who had somehow been through a lot with the family in some way.

Lately, it seems like the ornaments are being handed out like cocktail napkins. Just like other aspects of the show's legacy, modern-era writers don't seem to honor this tradition as much as they exploit it and contort it for their own plot-driven devices. We the audience have to work hard to see past these machinations and still try to enjoy what's left of the occasion.

[Thanks, Jason. I had fun browsing through the first link and will take a gander at the other one you provided.]

Well said!!

anya
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Dec 10 2012, 10:27 PM
anya
Dec 10 2012, 07:52 PM
Can we get a filter for "ornament(s)"? :laugh:
It should clearly be BALLS.

http://youtu.be/_uPjgOsvGrc?t=5m27s
HA! That clip is cute.

six
Member Avatar

annie21
Dec 11 2012, 08:41 AM
Will&Sonny
Jason47
Will&Sonny

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepconsidered to be family, surnames and blood be damned, and that was all that would have mattered to Tom and Alice. Frankly, that's all that matters to a lot of people in real life, so I don't find it odd at all.

Isn't Doug the only person who got one while not on the way to being family? That quote is nice but it doesn't appear to apply here.

Cherianne

I think they should/can give ornaments to whoever they want to, but only actual Hortons (by birth or marriage) at the time of the ceremony OR in memorium should be hung during the ceremony. In other words, I don't mind them giving Victor (for instance) an ornament........but hanging it on the tree should be done after the ceremony is over.

But then......I'm still waiting for the big reveal that A) Daniel isn't Maggie's kid after all and B) Jack is alive and being held captive. And for Bo to come back. So obviously I'm living in a fantasy world where things actually make sense. :)

rosered

@RealNadiaB

Good Morning from DAYS hair/makeup room!

rosered

@BlakeBerris: Doing some scenes with the great @laurenkoslow. #DAYS

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

nbcdays: So true! RT @sourcewilliam The baby story is getting so good #days
https://twitter.com/nbcdays/status/278615212297424897

DJsMommy
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 11 2012, 04:34 AM
Jason47

Ok I HAD to go look at the magazines & JASON BROOKS is in one! Omg! Does anyone know if he's nekkid in it? If so, I may just have to treat myself to that! :lol:

OliveAnn

Supergirlx2
Dec 11 2012, 04:42 PM
nbcdays: So true! RT @sourcewilliam The baby story is getting so good #days
https://twitter.com/nbcdays/status/278615212297424897
"We're tooting our own horn because nobody else wants to"?

WillFan
Member Avatar

Blake Berrisū@BlakeBerris

Excited to attend the #NOH8 4th Anniversary tomorrow night! #dool

Kate Mansiū@KateMansi

@BlakeBerris ditto! looking forward to #NOH8 4th Anniversary! #dool

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Nick and Kate scenes in the future. Wonder if Nick is involved in Kate's "big" storyline coming up.

AFaithL

Deidre posted a really cute picture of her and Drake on her FB page. Too bad I can't link to it!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply