Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Sonny Learns the Truth about Gabi!; Airs the week of December 17th
Topic Started: Dec 13 2012, 03:31 PM (6,482 Views)
Nate
Member Avatar

I don't like Nick, so I try to not include him in the Baby SL in my mind lol
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

So this is what it has come to in the DOOL section now. your absolutely right, no one cares anymore and we've all seemed to lost hope after waiting and waiting for change.

This article is shit, just like all the others. Marlena, John and Lucas etc are all now supporting characters for these half ass written teens? They continue to fail in all aspects. I know their trying to make the show focus more on the younger set but no one gives a fuck about this little Gabi slut. she's the new Melanie..
Offline Profile Goto Top

Will&Sonny

Queen B
Dec 16 2012, 11:52 PM
So this is what it has come to in the DOOL section now. your absolutely right, no one cares anymore and we've all seemed to lost hope after waiting and waiting for change.

This article is shit, just like all the others. Marlena, John and Lucas etc are all now supporting characters for these half ass written teens? They continue to fail in all aspects. I know their trying to make the show focus more on the younger set but no one gives a fuck about this little Gabi slut. she's the new Melanie..
Re: the bolded...on the contrary, this thread clearly shows that some of us do care about this storyline. Personally, it's the storyline that I'm most interested in (with Kristen's storyline being the second-most interesting one for me).

John and Marlena aren't supporting players in this storyline -- they have their own storyline going on with Kristen.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Also, Gabi is many things and not my favorite, but she is not a slut. She's slept with two young men in her whole life, both of whom she has strong feelings for. And since most people would here would be horrified if someone called Will or Sonny a fag (and there's fear that Nick might do that), I wonder why misogynist language is still fair game.

Not only am I enjoying this storyline, I'm very happy with how Will treated Gabi when he discovered she was pregnant. He didn't blame her, he didn't get upset with her. He said they would face it together. Even prior to that, after the sex, Will and Gabi talked about it being a mistake and remained friends with little shame or recrimination on either side, and given that neither of them was in a relationship at the time, that's appropriate. That's a great message to send, and the show has the luxury of sending it since Will's sexuality provides other avenues for drama.
Offline Profile Goto Top

supercool74
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 16 2012, 08:03 PM
Ljay
Dec 16 2012, 06:49 PM
knots
Dec 13 2012, 07:45 PM

I think they are going to attach his homophobia to an attack he may have had in prison.
Did Nick get attacked in prison?
No one knows yet. There has been speculation about a possible prison rape from the moment that the first spoiler about Nick's homophobia appeared online, but I'm still not convinced that there's any truth to the rumor.
Actually, no one knows if he was raped...but he DID get attacked in prison. During the parole hearings Julie mentioned it to Maggie trying to convince her that prison was too awful for him to stay there. I think someone did jump him and beat him up....I just always kind of imagine maybe it was more than that and he just hasn't talked about it yet.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I've been enjoying this storyline so far, surprisingly. I didn't like that they were going this route in the beginning, but I'm invested now. Like others have said, it's not your typical questioned paternity storyline. And it's not your typical soap opera generic gay love story either.

As for this part of the story, I'm glad to see Lucas involved. I'm glad John and Marlena get involved as well. Especially Marlena. I just love her being used as a "core" in town. The way she should be. Fuck Maggie. If they aren't going to use Julie, Marlena should be the town's next Alice Horton.

As for Nick's homophobia, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just because he's an educated man, doesn't mean he can't think homosexuality is wrong. We may not have seen anything regarding his views on the issue when he was on the show from 2006 until 2009, but then again, there were no gay characters on the show at that point. The issue NEVER came up. Why would we have any idea how Nick felt if there was nothing for him to feel a way about? We wouldn't.

Nothing had to happen to Nick in order to make him uncomfortable around gay people. It doesn't happen that way in real life, and it doesn't have to happen on the show. It could just be an opinion Nick has always had since his upbringing back in Ohio with Marie, Jessica and Joshua. I don't understand why fans are having such an issue with the idea.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ilovecandy
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Dec 17 2012, 08:09 AM
Also, Gabi is many things and not my favorite, but she is not a slut. She's slept with two young men in her whole life, both of whom she has strong feelings for. And since most people would here would be horrified if someone called Will or Sonny a fag (and there's fear that Nick might do that), I wonder why misogynist language is still fair game.

Not only am I enjoying this storyline, I'm very happy with how Will treated Gabi when he discovered she was pregnant. He didn't blame her, he didn't get upset with her. He said they would face it together. Even prior to that, after the sex, Will and Gabi talked about it being a mistake and remained friends with little shame or recrimination on either side, and given that neither of them was in a relationship at the time, that's appropriate. That's a great message to send, and the show has the luxury of sending it since Will's sexuality provides other avenues for drama.
in my book you dont have to sleep with alot of people to be consider a SLUT Gabitch is a slunt
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

DrewHamilton
Dec 17 2012, 01:23 PM
Nothing had to happen to Nick in order to make him uncomfortable around gay people. It doesn't happen that way in real life, and it doesn't have to happen on the show. It could just be an opinion Nick has always had since his upbringing back in Ohio with Marie, Jessica and Joshua. I don't understand why fans are having such an issue with the idea.
That's a great point. The other thing that keeps coming to mind for me is that for some people- they can be OK with the idea of something, but when they have to interact with it a different picture emerges. I think it'd be much more interesting if they went that route with Nick and his feelings about homosexuality. Sometimes nothing happens to you to bring out prejudice, you just have a different side of yourself than you might know (or consciously acknowledge).
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 17 2012, 12:15 AM
Queen B
Dec 16 2012, 11:52 PM

Re: the bolded...on the contrary, this thread clearly shows that some of us do care about this storyline. Personally, it's the storyline that I'm most interested in (with Kristen's storyline being the second-most interesting one for me).

John and Marlena aren't supporting players in this storyline -- they have their own storyline going on with Kristen.
Which is another shitty story. Its pretty sad when even Kristen DiMera can't make people watch. I always thought that if ANY return could bring up the ratings, it would be Kristen. Apparently not

This show is fucked
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

Ilovecandy
Dec 17 2012, 03:03 PM
Honeybees
Dec 17 2012, 08:09 AM

in my book you dont have to sleep with alot of people to be consider a SLUT Gabitch is a slunt
She may not be a slut, but I still hate the bitch and she is the main reason I am not longer watching.

The only thing I EVER watch are Nicole clips on youtube here and there, I couldn't even give two fucks about Kristen boinking Brady. I'd rather watch clips from 1995-97 of Kristen/John/Marlena then this shit
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

px780
Dec 17 2012, 03:20 PM
DrewHamilton
Dec 17 2012, 01:23 PM
That's a great point. The other thing that keeps coming to mind for me is that for some people- they can be OK with the idea of something, but when they have to interact with it a different picture emerges. I think it'd be much more interesting if they went that route with Nick and his feelings about homosexuality. Sometimes nothing happens to you to bring out prejudice, you just have a different side of yourself than you might know (or consciously acknowledge).
There's always an explanation for homophobic behavior and just because we don't get an explanation in real life doesn't mean the show shouldn't give us a reason.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

I also don't think the show needs a reason for Nick to be homophobic. Isn't Salem supposed to be set in the middle of America? Sometimes people here don't need a reason to be homophobic or racist or misogynistic--they just are. I think that's more true to reality than slapping a random reason on it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

Spencer Hastings
Dec 17 2012, 05:06 PM
I also don't think the show needs a reason for Nick to be homophobic. Isn't Salem supposed to be set in the middle of America? Sometimes people here don't need a reason to be homophobic or racist or misogynistic--they just are. I think that's more true to reality than slapping a random reason on it.
People are racist/homophobic for a reason, even if they were just taught to be that way. This is 2012 and the show should give the viewers an explanation as to what his insecurities stem from, because that's what he is - insecure.

If they continue to write Nick as a homophobic ass then no one will like the character anymore, and people need to be able to sympathize with every character on some level or else they will start to tune out
Offline Profile Goto Top

Will&Sonny

supercool74
Dec 17 2012, 12:52 PM
Will&Sonny
Dec 16 2012, 08:03 PM
Ljay
Dec 16 2012, 06:49 PM
knots
Dec 13 2012, 07:45 PM

I think they are going to attach his homophobia to an attack he may have had in prison.
Did Nick get attacked in prison?
No one knows yet. There has been speculation about a possible prison rape from the moment that the first spoiler about Nick's homophobia appeared online, but I'm still not convinced that there's any truth to the rumor.
Actually, no one knows if he was raped...but he DID get attacked in prison. During the parole hearings Julie mentioned it to Maggie trying to convince her that prison was too awful for him to stay there. I think someone did jump him and beat him up....I just always kind of imagine maybe it was more than that and he just hasn't talked about it yet.
Yeah, I thought about mentioning that previously, but I felt that a physical attack wasn't really what the original question was about, so I decided that it wasn't relevant to the conversation about Nick's homophobia. A purely physical assault (which is all that we've ever been led to believe that particular "attack" was) isn't likely to make someone homophobic. If that were the case, Nick would have had a much stronger reaction to Chad's assault.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I guess I just don't agree that prejudice always has a concrete reason, and I have a bad reaction to the idea of a television show like Days exploring the roots of prejudice. I'm concerned it will be overly simplistic, condescending, or pitched as some kind of Life Lesson people can learn through Nick. I prefer television just entertain, especially a show like Days.

We'll see where they go with it though. Who knows, maybe this will be the one time they surprise me in a good way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

But hasn't Nick given the reason already? I thought when he and Gabi had the discussion when Nick first showed resistance to being around Will and Sonny, Nick said that he just felt being gay was wrong. That was his opinion. Does more really have to be stated? I mean, his grandmother was a nun for quite a while. Religion could have been a big thing in Nick's growing up. If that's the case, I don't think it's that much of a stretch that Nick could possibly still believe the "right" thing is a man and woman. Nothing else.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 17 2012, 05:31 PM
But hasn't Nick given the reason already? I thought when he and Gabi had the discussion when Nick first showed resistance to being around Will and Sonny, Nick said that he just felt being gay was wrong. That was his opinion. Does more really have to be stated? I mean, his grandmother was a nun for quite a while. Religion could have been a big thing in Nick's growing up. If that's the case, I don't think it's that much of a stretch that Nick could possibly still believe the "right" thing is a man and woman. Nothing else.
I don't think you need a reason to be prejudiced, and I think part of the seeking a reason is that Nick was such a sweet and lovely character when he was first on the show, that it's still hard to accept that he has a dark side but the show did take him to a dark place.. But he's clearly got a sinister, controlling side to him - so much that with the help of drugs he murdered someone to control Melanie. It's not a stretch that someone capable of that would not accept that being gay isn't a choice and that it's somehow wrong. Ever since Nick returned, more than one dark impulse has been hinted at, not just his homophobia.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Dec 17 2012, 05:38 PM
DrewHamilton
I don't think you need a reason to be prejudiced, and I think part of the seeking a reason is that Nick was such a sweet and lovely character when he was first on the show, that it's still hard to accept that he has a dark side but the show did take him to a dark place.. But he's clearly got a sinister, controlling side to him - so much that with the help of drugs he murdered someone to control Melanie. It's not a stretch that someone capable of that would not accept that being gay isn't a choice and that it's somehow wrong. Ever since Nick returned, more than one dark impulse has been hinted at, not just his homophobia.
People keep referring to the way the character was written on his first run. I don't think that can be used as a reference. There were no gay characters on the show back then. The subject never needed brought up. So who knows how Hogan Sheffer intended to write Nick when it came to homosexuality and his views on the subject. One thing I'll give Tomlin/Whitesell is that they really had a blank slate when it came to Nick's views on homosexuality. I think they could've gone either way. They chose to have him be against it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, considering I know a whole bunch of 20something year old men that feel the same way as Nick. They weren't raped in prison. They weren't raised in a hardcore religious family. No reason needs to be given as to why they feel that way. It's just how they feel.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Dec 17 2012, 05:49 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Will&Sonny

DrewHamilton
Yes, Nick has already given a reason. That doesn't necessarily mean that he was telling the truth, though.

Re: the bolded...does more need to be stated? Of course not. However, some viewers do seem to want more to be stated. Other viewers simply suspect that there is more to the story. Blake Berris has sent out at least one tweet that has fueled this fire of speculation, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

To be clear, I don't necessarily believe that there is more to the story -- I just find it hard to believe that Nick is religious. In the end, that doesn't really matter -- if the writers tell me that Nick is religious, then I have to believe it -- but it still seems dumb to me. People like Nick (who was previously portrayed as a man of science) usually don't just blindly accept something just because "that's how they were raised". My entire family is religious, and I am not the least bit religious. That doesn't mean that Nick has to be "like me" -- I'm not suggesting that. I'm simply saying that, for a character like Nick, the religious angle doesn't ring true to me, and it probably never will. It's a personal issue -- nothing more.

In any case, I don't believe that Nick was raped in prison. Nothing has been shown or said on-screen yet that would make me think that. As I said before, at this point, the speculation that Nick was raped in prison is nothing more than fan fiction.

That doesn't mean that it won't one day be more than fan fiction, though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

As of now, I'm satisfied with Tomlin/Whitesell's writing for Nick and his views on homosexuality. At this point, I don't need anything more to be said or explained. Scientists can be religious. I think that's a common belief in a profession where it's the persons job to prove something that can't be proved, such as faith. A scientist has a job. A professional life. That doesn't mean the scientist doesn't have a personal life where he/she still believes in religion.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic