Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tuesday, December 18th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 14 2012, 02:38 PM (7,321 Views)
concerned
Member Avatar

I don't think EJ's lack of scenes with Allie have had anything to do with him caring or not caring about her.
Lucas has been pretty explicit in his requirements that her contact to EJ be limited.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

As I've always said, as far as I'm concerned, E.J. only cares about himself. He doesn't truly love any woman, any kids, or any family members -- just himself. He's kind to people when it benefits him, and he's cruel to those same people when he no longer cares about maintaining a fašade of love and compassion.

I've seen him treat people -- including the children (all four of them) -- with cruelty and malice too many times to believe otherwise. Those actions count for more than any throwaway scenes where E.J. is being superficially kind to the kids for his own selfish reasons (and he always has selfish reasons -- whether it's to lure Sami into his bed or simply make himself look like the better parent), because it's much easier to wear a mask when it suits your purposes than it is to hide your true nature.

That said...we all believe what we want to believe. Those who are fans of E.J. will vehemently deny these claims, and those who hate him as much as I do will wholeheartedly agree with them. Neither group will ever change the other's mind, and that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

Tammy
Member Avatar

We never see anyone with Allie. Not her mother, father or siblings. It's like they have stuck her in a closet somewhere!

spartan
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Dec 18 2012, 05:25 PM
lysie
Dec 18 2012, 05:12 PM
SocRMum1
Dec 18 2012, 03:24 PM
Hamilton
Dec 18 2012, 03:18 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepshouldall Sami's children? Come on. We've witnessed too many accounts of Ej acting in his own best interest to believe he is suddenly all about the meaning of Christmas and family harmony. He wants Sami! Plain and simple he is doing what he is doing because he sees it's working for him. If it weren't he would turn on a dime. The man is not his sincere self and therefore I take his proclamations to be self serving.

I disagree. I think EJ's hurt and bitterness at that time was well justified. Did it cloud his judgment and prevent him from acting in the best interest of the kids? Absolutely. But that's a human reaction that many people would have - and few would ever get over as thoroughly as EJ has.

But I think that incident is the exception in how he's behaved regarding all of the kids - not the rule. Looking back over the years EJ has generally been portrayed to care deeply about Allie and has been shown to go out of his way to include her. I agree that he's always been hung up on Sami but I don't think that's why he's been conscientious about Allie. I think that stems from all the time he spent with her when he and Sami were living together when the twins were babies.
I disagree with both of you. It mostly comes down to inconsistent writing. EJ hasn't consistently been written to show he cares for all the kids, especially Allie, and he hasn't consistently been shown to not care either. There's no rule, only exceptions. I find it weird that we're having this conversation in the first place though because I still don't see how what happens today is supposed to show EJ being considerate of Allie. IMO, it shows EJ and Sami both being inconsiderate to her. Maybe Allie will murder them. That would be nice.
I've always frowned upon this notion that Ej has always cared for Allie. I've seen posts at the old sites I use to frequent that would refer to him even helping raise her and that is so far from the truth it's not even funny. Just because he spent ONE documented night with Allie up at night helping her with croup and it's not like Sami wasn't there either to comfort her doesn't make for years of caring about her....and just because he brought her presents ONE TIME at Christmas, doesn't mean he's spent all this time showing love for her, or always including her in whatever he plans for his kids. He hasn't. We saw more Allie when Lucas and Chloe were dating, engaged and later married, than we saw her while she was with Sami, and Ej in the safe house and since. Ej has shown to not care about his own children at times, why should I believe he would care about Allie at all ??.....and frankly anyone can argue that at least in 2008 he showed to care about her because he was trying to win Sami over....

Allie/Johnny are born in the fall of 2007 and were cared for primarily by Lucas and Sami from that point until Lucas went to jail in Dec of 2007
Allie w/Johnny and Ejami in the safe house and later Dimansion....Jan of 2008 through May of 2008
Lucas returns from prison and from that point on immediately we see Allie more with him. Lucas would be so pissed at Chloe for cheating on him because she got so close to Allie and how that betrayal would impact his daughter.
Since Lucas left to HK we've barely seen Allie.....I'd say if anything 2009 was the year we saw Allie the most and we saw her more with Lucas than we did with Sami and Ej just showed ONCE that he ever remembered Allie existed.

There's more than those scenes you refer to that are reason enough for me to say EJ and Allie have always had a pretty positive and loving relationship. I mean in proportion to the number of scenes Allie has been in anyways.

When Sami came back from the safe house, EJ was shown carrying both kids to bed. Allie was fine then. We've had scenes of Allie running into EJ's arms alongside Johnny (EJami wedding, mayoral race off the top of my head. EJ talked at the EJami wedding about his relationship with Allie, how it was positive.

I know there's other stuff. Point is, my basis for believing EJ cares for Allie and Allie cares for EJ is based on more than ONE scene. Just the same as my believing Lucas cares for Johnny still. If I were to go by amount of scenes together and mentions, I would say without a doubt Lucas doesn't give a damn about Johnny. However, I know that's not the case. EJ hasn't moved overseas yet either seemingly abandoning his kids like Lucas did, and I still wouldn't say it.

lysie
Member Avatar

Seriously. There are enough scenes on both sides to prove both that EJ doesn't give a rip about Allie and that he cares. Both sides are right and both sides are wrong. Though saying "always" is just wrong, lol. It's not a consistent character trait of EJ's to care about Allie or disregard Allie. Actually, he has no consistent character traits, and I wish we could start campaigns for those kinds of things instead of just couple shipping.

Today was okay. I really just have nothing left to say anymore. The show is neither terrible nor interesting. I liked the Marlena/Hope scenes. I thought the Ejami/Safe scenes were stupid. I thought all of the talk about charity was OTT from EJ, Sami, and Brady. I think that was the intention with Brady, but it totally didn't play out that way. I kind of liked the Dannifer scenes, but it reminded me of my issue with them in the beginning...they're really good at banter but their actual banter ends up being really forced. But really..I've pretty much forgotten everything that happened.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

spartan
Dec 18 2012, 08:33 PM
LuvingLumi
lysie
SocRMum1
Dec 18 2012, 03:24 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepshouldall Sami's children? Come on. We've witnessed too many accounts of Ej acting in his own best interest to believe he is suddenly all about the meaning of Christmas and family harmony. He wants Sami!
I disagree with both of you. It mostly comes down to inconsistent writing. EJ hasn't consistently been written to show he cares for all the kids, especially Allie, and he hasn't consistently been shown to not care either. There's no rule, only exceptions. I find it weird that we're having this conversation in the first place though because I still don't see how what happens today is supposed to show EJ being considerate of Allie. IMO, it shows EJ and Sami both being inconsiderate to her. Maybe Allie will murder them. That would be nice.
I've always frowned upon this notion that Ej has always cared for Allie. I've seen posts at the old sites I use to frequent that would refer to him even helping raise her and that is so far from the truth it's not even funny. Just because he spent ONE documented night with Allie up at night helping her with croup and it's not like Sami wasn't there either to comfort her doesn't make for years of caring about her....and just because he brought her presents ONE TIME at Christmas, doesn't mean he's spent all this time showing love for her, or always including her in whatever he plans for his kids. He hasn't. We saw more Allie when Lucas and Chloe were dating, engaged and later married, than we saw her while she was with Sami, and Ej in the safe house and since. Ej has shown to not care about his own children at times, why should I believe he would care about Allie at all ??.....and frankly anyone can argue that at least in 2008 he showed to care about her because he was trying to win Sami over....

Allie/Johnny are born in the fall of 2007 and were cared for primarily by Lucas and Sami from that point until Lucas went to jail in Dec of 2007
Allie w/Johnny and Ejami in the safe house and later Dimansion....Jan of 2008 through May of 2008
Lucas returns from prison and from that point on immediately we see Allie more with him. Lucas would be so pissed at Chloe for cheating on him because she got so close to Allie and how that betrayal would impact his daughter.
Since Lucas left to HK we've barely seen Allie.....I'd say if anything 2009 was the year we saw Allie the most and we saw her more with Lucas than we did with Sami and Ej just showed ONCE that he ever remembered Allie existed.

There's more than those scenes you refer to that are reason enough for me to say EJ and Allie have always had a pretty positive and loving relationship. I mean in proportion to the number of scenes Allie has been in anyways.

When Sami came back from the safe house, EJ was shown carrying both kids to bed. Allie was fine then. We've had scenes of Allie running into EJ's arms alongside Johnny (EJami wedding, mayoral race off the top of my head. EJ talked at the EJami wedding about his relationship with Allie, how it was positive.

I know there's other stuff. Point is, my basis for believing EJ cares for Allie and Allie cares for EJ is based on more than ONE scene. Just the same as my believing Lucas cares for Johnny still. If I were to go by amount of scenes together and mentions, I would say without a doubt Lucas doesn't give a damn about Johnny. However, I know that's not the case. EJ hasn't moved overseas yet either seemingly abandoning his kids like Lucas did, and I still wouldn't say it.
Agreed. The bold is the stuff that stands out to me - Allie likes EJ. She's even been shown to have a preference for him on occasion. Those kinds of things point to them having a good relationship and to positive interactions that have taken place off screen.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Dec 18 2012, 08:54 PM
spartan
LuvingLumi
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepshouldall Sami's children? Come on. We've witnessed too many accounts of Ej acting in his own best interest to believe he is suddenly all about the meaning of Christmas and family harmony. He wants Sami!

Agreed. The bold is the stuff that stands out to me - Allie likes EJ. She's even been shown to have a preference for him on occasion. Those kinds of things point to them having a good relationship and to positive interactions that have taken place off screen.
Do you really want someone to sit here and list all the counter arguments? There's at least as many and they're just as valid.

peaches179

Kristen's scenes were really campy today. Being with Brady doesn't help either.

AFaithL

I liked the show for the most part, minus Ejami/Safe. EJ has just become so neutered. I want to see him and Kristen scheming as a team.

Enjoyed the Marlena/Hope scenes.

Enjoyed the Brady/Kristen scenes. Eileen and Eric Martsolf continue to have massive sexual chemistry. I'd like for her to continue pulling him into the dark side.

Dannifer was ok. Too much airtime, though.

All in all, solid show.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 18 2012, 08:57 PM
six
spartan
LuvingLumi

Do you really want someone to sit here and list all the counter arguments? There's at least as many and they're just as valid.
I've seen the counter arguments, but I think it's obvious that I disagree about their overall impact on the EJAllie relationship as a whole.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Dec 18 2012, 09:07 PM
lysie
six
spartan

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepshouldall Sami's children? Come on. We've witnessed too many accounts of Ej acting in his own best interest to believe he is suddenly all about the meaning of Christmas and family harmony. He wants Sami! We've had scenes of Allie running into EJ's arms alongside Johnny (EJami wedding, mayoral race off the top of my head. EJ talked at the EJami wedding about his relationship with Allie, how it was positive.

I've seen the counter arguments, but I think it's obvious that I disagree about their overall impact on the EJAllie relationship as a whole.
I realize I"m hung up on this, but I have an issue with the implication that there even is a relationship. That would imply some sort of consistency which there just hasn't been. On either side. The only way to to even show that there's one that's either positive or negative is to completely ignore just as many scenes that would prove the other side. TPTB aren't interested in showing Allie's relationship with anyone, whether it's EJ, Sami, Lucas, Rafe, Will, Johnny, Sydney, or any of her grandparents.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 18 2012, 09:14 PM
six
lysie
six

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepshouldall Sami's children? Come on. We've witnessed too many accounts of Ej acting in his own best interest to believe he is suddenly all about the meaning of Christmas and family harmony. He wants Sami! We've had scenes of Allie running into EJ's arms alongside Johnny (EJami wedding, mayoral race off the top of my head. EJ talked at the EJami wedding about his relationship with Allie, how it was positive.
I realize I"m hung up on this, but I have an issue with the implication that there even is a relationship. That would imply some sort of consistency which there just hasn't been. On either side. The only way to to even show that there's one that's either positive or negative is to completely ignore just as many scenes that would prove the other side. TPTB aren't interested in showing Allie's relationship with anyone, whether it's EJ, Sami, Lucas, Rafe, Will, Johnny, Sydney, or any of her grandparents.
I agree that they aren't showcasing her relationships with anyone , which is why I (and a lot of others) joke that no one cares about her), but when we do see her, she's happy and well taken care of, so someone is obviously caring for her and she's obviously formed off screen bonds with people. And most kids don't go around dashing into the arms of people they don't know well or like, so to me, it stands to reason to that EJ and Allie have spent some kind of quality time together off screen. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that she and EJ are besties who are together all the time, but at some point they must have built the kind of relationship that would result in her being so happy to see him that she'd run to him. I don't think we can do more than speculate about how consistently they've seen each other. I could create a whole scenario about them spending time together while he was living across the hall - we know Sami let him watch her on at least one occasion during that time period. I won't, because there's nothing to back it up either way. It just seems clear to me that they made a connection at some point that has lasted for awhile.

It's like when Eric mentioned knowing a random bit of information about someone Johnny was a fan of - over the years it almost seemed like Eric didn't exist, but we're clearly meant to believe that he was in some kind of contact with Johnny and has been taking an interest in his likes and dislikes.
Edited by six, Dec 18 2012, 09:37 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Dec 18 2012, 09:31 PM
lysie
six
lysie

I agree that they aren't showcasing her relationships with anyone , which is why I (and a lot of others) joke that no one cares about her), but when we do see her, she's happy and well taken care of, so someone is obviously caring for her and she's obviously formed off screen bonds with people. And most kids don't go around dashing into the arms of people they don't know well or like, so to me, it stands to reason to that EJ and Allie have spent some kind of quality time together off screen. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that she and EJ are besties who are together all the time, but at some point they must have built the kind of relationship that would result in her being so happy to see him that she'd run to him.

It's like when Eric mentioned knowing a random bit of information about someone Johnny was a fan of - over the years it almost seemed like Eric didn't exist, but we're clearly meant to believe that he was in some kind of contact with Johnny and has been taking an interest in his likes and dislikes.
Eh. I don't want to give the illusion that I care, so I'll shut up. And maybe I'm not wording things well because I think y'all are doing a fabulous job of proving my point, lol.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 18 2012, 09:40 PM
six
lysie
six

I agree that they aren't showcasing her relationships with anyone , which is why I (and a lot of others) joke that no one cares about her), but when we do see her, she's happy and well taken care of, so someone is obviously caring for her and she's obviously formed off screen bonds with people. And most kids don't go around dashing into the arms of people they don't know well or like, so to me, it stands to reason to that EJ and Allie have spent some kind of quality time together off screen. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that she and EJ are besties who are together all the time, but at some point they must have built the kind of relationship that would result in her being so happy to see him that she'd run to him.

Eh. I don't want to give the illusion that I care, so I'll shut up. And maybe I'm not wording things well because I think y'all are doing a fabulous job of proving my point, lol.
Maybe lol, because I think we have a lot more proof that things have been consistent than that they haven't so yes, agree to disagree.
Edited by six, Dec 18 2012, 09:44 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Dec 18 2012, 09:44 PM
lysie
Dec 18 2012, 09:40 PM
six
lysie

Maybe lol, because I think we have a lot more proof that things have been consistent than that they haven't so yes, agree to disagree.
Yeah. We're not going to be able to speak for a while.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

Sami's leather pants and sweater are not a good look for her as a business executive or anything else.I think this outfit is worse than the tight short dresses.

TinaJagger11
Member Avatar

Leather pants.... ugh - is AS having way too much say in her wardrobe? I get that she wants to show off her weight loss, but it just doesn't work for the character at all. Wish they would let some of the other actresses dress themselves too - they would look A LOT better.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

PatNS
Dec 14 2012, 02:38 PM
EJ's office:Sami - You were talking to the kids about this without me? EJ - Yes, on occasion I have been known to parent without consulting you just as you do. Besides all of these gifts are for Johnny and Sydney. None of them are for Allie. Don't you think she'd feel excluded? Sami - Of course she would. I didn't even think of that.
Of course you didn't, Sami. :rolleyes:

The thing (okay, one of many things) that bugs me about E.J. is that when he actually tries (usually when he has an agenda), he has the capacity to be a really great father. If he were consistent and didn't periodically do horrible things to the extreme detriment of his children's well-being he'd probably be the better parent of the two (lots of if's there, I know).

All in all, I liked today's episode. I'm glad Marlena told Hope about Bristen. She needs a sounding board, especially since her husband has been spectacularly lacking in the empathy department lately. I'm along for the ride with Bristen, but as usual Brady isn't very savvy for a guy who's made it to the top of two major corporations (albeit through nepotism). I'd be embarrassed for him if he weren't always so gung-ho and resistant to the well-meaning interventions of others (comes with being a stage 5 clinger, I guess). I'm looking forward to Kristen telling E.J. about them and Sami overhearing. The potential fallout of this is keeping me glued to it.
Edited by JessicaLeigh, Dec 19 2012, 06:03 AM.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 18 2012, 08:51 PM
Seriously. There are enough scenes on both sides to prove both that EJ doesn't give a rip about Allie and that he cares. Both sides are right and both sides are wrong. Though saying "always" is just wrong, lol. It's not a consistent character trait of EJ's to care about Allie or disregard Allie. Actually, he has no consistent character traits, and I wish we could start campaigns for those kinds of things instead of just couple shipping.
Just want to second this. I have no idea who the hell E.J. is. When he wants to play the good father, he does so very convincingly - but it requires that we forget his behavior at least half the time, and we never know when Good Daddy E.J. is going to show up again. I'm tired of it.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

TinaJagger11
Dec 19 2012, 12:32 AM
Leather pants.... ugh - is AS having way too much say in her wardrobe? I get that she wants to show off her weight loss, but it just doesn't work for the character at all. Wish they would let some of the other actresses dress themselves too - they would look A LOT better.
I am just hoping that it is a new day in Salem soon, so we don't have to see Sami in that atrocious outfit again....please.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply