Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide's Best of 2012
Topic Started: Dec 18 2012, 01:44 PM (1,596 Views)
dragonflies
Member Avatar

not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in

Best Soap
General Hospital

TV Guide says this was a soap that was DOA last year, and was merely waiting to be cancelled like AMC & OLTL were in favor of cheap reality programming. Instead Brian Frons exited the network and GH was handed to OLTL's HW Ron Carlivati & EP Frank Valentini who amped up the action, humor & romance, and energized the cast by adding top stars from GH's past as well as popular refugees from Llanview. Dreary messy GH became a thrilling, surprise-packed can't-miss experience.

TV Guide says the moral of the story is, don't get rid of the soaps, make them better

Best Actor
James Scott

TV Guide wonders why he's not the biggest move star on the planet (me: rolleyes: ) They say JS had a dynamite year from EJ as mayor, flip-flopping between Nicole & Sami, and blackmailing Will into a skeevy master-slave relationship

Best Actress
Jane Elliott

Too long relegated supporting others, she finally achieved leading lady status as GH's uberbitch Tracy Quartermaine & left us breathless with her hilarious, ferocious, utterly brilliant work. There's no reason at all that we should care about Tracy, but we just can't help ourselves. That's the magic of Jane Elliott

Best Supporting Actor
Doug Davidson

They call him a quiet powerhouse-who plays one of the few true heros in soaps, and wonder why he has yet to win a much deserved emmy He had one of his toughest storylines this year when his character unintentionally killed his own son and nearly went to jail. Davidson's performance was so beautiful & poignant that it made our souls ache

Best Supporting Actress
Robin Mattson

Mattson returned to GH in all her high-camp madness, her character Heather somehow declared sane & released from Ferncliff asylum. She's so fab, we don't care if she bumps off half the peeps of Port Charles
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I really thought that Jason Thompson, Patrick from GH, had an awesome year in terms of storyline. I don't know if I would call him a leading actor on the show but still, he was fantastic this past year, IMHO. I just don't see James Scott as the best leading man out of all 4 soaps. I know, not a popular opinion..... :wink:

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

No Sharon Case? :shrug: Had one hell of a year on a soap with the shittiest writing.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Sharon Case shines through the shit that is and has been Y&R, but I will never argue with Jane Elliot. She is the BEST actress in Daytime and its not even close, IMO. I really would have been happier with Finola Hughes taking Lead and Jane Elliot taking Supporting. Those two have been phenomenal. That isn't a knock on Robin Mattson. Her acting was superb, but the storylines did go off the rails even more than Heather Webber herself. There should have been honorable mentions or something because it is way too hard to compare the soaps.

Lead Actor is pretty much a "what could have been..." award, IMO. I think James Scott is one of the most talented men in daytime and could be a massive star if he was on a Showtime, HBO, or AMC show...DAYS is just not capable of utilizing what he has so he is just wasted. I think Jason Thompson could have gotten this for the period when Robin "died" and the aftermath of that. His work was on another level from everyone else. Not sure if he ever qualified as "lead" though aside from that short period of time. I don't even have a recommendation for this award because I think the women on soaps far out-shined the men this year.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

I'm glad Doug Davidson was mentioned, he did some of his best acting I have ever seen when he shot his son Ricky. it was a terrible storyline but he did a wonderful job

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I'm not even going to address the choice for Lead Actor. Ugh.

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

I agree with all of this, expect for Robin winning supporting.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I love Jane Elliot so I'm glad she was listed as best actress, though I also feel like Arianne Zucker and Sharon Case should have been mentioned as well. They have both been doing a fabulous job with the SL's they have been given.

I love James Scott too, I just haven't been able to enjoy his scenes for a while. It has nothing to do with his acting, I think he's a very talented actor. For me not enjoying Ej has all to do with the wishy washy writing for his character.
Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

I completely disagree with everything that the TV Guide writers said, but especially the stuff that they wrote about James Scott, who is, IMO, the absolute worst actor in daytime.

However, I will answer their question: he's not "the biggest movie star on the planet" because he's an overrated, over-the-top mess of an actor who blinks too much. He's in daytime because he doesn't stand a chance of making it as an actor anywhere else.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm fully aware that I'm probably in the minority here.

Thanks for posting the article, though!
Edited by Will&Sonny, Dec 18 2012, 11:56 PM.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I liked JS better on AMC myself. EJ was fun the first year or two he was on but so many writers have changed the character so much that he's just not as much fun to watch anymore. The Mayor story was ok because he wasn't chasing after anyone.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

I've always felt the blinking was actually done purposely in his acting. If you notice, Scott only does it when EJ is lying, trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes, distract them, or "hypnotize" them. IMO, it's an acting choice and a very creative one at that. He's done it ever since he started on DAYS in 2006 and I watched him on AMC and he never did it there.

I actually think Scott is overrated by the soap "press" right now, but highly underrated by the fans

Will&Sonny

juniorz1
Dec 19 2012, 12:41 AM
I've always felt the blinking was actually done purposely in his acting. If you notice, Scott only does it when EJ is lying, trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes, distract them, or "hypnotize" them. IMO, it's an acting choice and a very creative one at that. He's done it ever since he started on DAYS in 2006 and I watched him on AMC and he never did it there.
I never watched AMC, so I can't really dispute your comment about what he did there, but I've read plenty of comments from other people who watched AMC who claimed that he also blinked incessantly there. :shrug: I don't know which is true.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the observation that James only blinks when E.J. is lying or trying to charm someone -- I've considered that in the past, and I've certainly seen him blink incessantly when he wasn't trying to do any of the things that you mentioned, so I remain unconvinced that that's true. He blinked incessantly when he was telling Nicole off in the Horton Town Square just a few weeks ago; I don't think that he was trying to lie, pull the wool over Nicole's eyes, distract Nicole, or hypnotize Nicole in that particular scene. He also blinks incessantly when he's angry or upset -- like every time that he learns that he's been deceived or that one of his plans has backfired.

However...it's kind of a futile debate, since one could argue that E.J. is always lying, trying to charm someone, or doing something else that would, according to that theory, warrant incessant blinking. It's basically like saying that blinking incessantly is simply a trait that the character was born with, like being right- or left-handed, and James is simply displaying that trait. (Perhaps a better example would be Joe Mascolo's rolled "R"s when he's portraying Stefano, but either way, you get the point.) Short of asking James, there's no real way to prove or disprove that claim, so that debate's always going to end in a stalemate. :lol:

I can believe that using everyone's full name -- Samantha, William, Alexandra, etc. -- is a character trait / acting choice, but I'm not sold on the idea that the incessant blinking is.

In any case, his blinking is certainly not the only thing that makes me believe that he is a terrible actor. It's simply one of the most glaring examples.
Edited by Will&Sonny, Dec 19 2012, 01:51 AM.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

I agree with all of this including that both Doug Davidson and Jason Thompson should be the two actors that really only matter come next summer's awards (whether that be in the Supporting or Lead category).

But I'm afraid "General Hospital" is going to play it safe and submit the same names: Anthony Geary, Maurice Benard, Laura Wright, etc. leaving Elliott, Mattson, etc. no chance to compete.

It's also going to be interesting to see if Roger Howarth and Michael Easton get pre-noms next month and if that might ruffle the feathers of those not happy with the addition of the "One Life to Live" actors in 2012.

lysie
Member Avatar

I just think it's a weird year to pick James Scott. He really hasn't had any good material anyway. But maybe none of the other actors have either.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think James Scott deserves a lot of credit. From my perspective EJ is a weird character. He's poorly defined, and always up to a lot while accomplishing very little. Yet the character is popular and, at this point, enduring, and that seems to be all because of Scott.

I can also see wondering why he's not a movie star. He's charming (British) and handsome, and there aren't a lot of actors of his type/age who are big right now. I think it's easy to imagine him as an updated Hugh Grant, yet he's still in soaps.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 19 2012, 12:23 PM
I just think it's a weird year to pick James Scott. He really hasn't had any good material anyway. But maybe none of the other actors have either.
Like I said, I think they are just forgetting the writing and saying "James Scott because he could potentially be doing great things." Like you said, he has had NO material that warrants him getting a Lead Actor award. But this has been a very weak year for male actors, IMO. I don't think James Scott deserves to win this award, but I don't have anyone different to offer up to argue for. Jason Thompson was only a lead for like two months at most, so its hard to call him a Lead for the year. Doug Davidson is incredible, but not a lead at all.

As for the Roger Howarth, Michael Easton question...Michael Easton is not a good actor (although I don't hate John McBain like everyone else and I'm fine with him being on GH) so he's out of this equation come Emmy time. Roger Howarth, on the other hand, is amazing and it would be interesting to see him nominated for the end of OLTL and nominated again for General Hospital. Can that happen? I know you can be nominated for different roles on different shows like Debbi Morgan last year, but can you be nominated for the same character on two different shows? He probably deserves it. Not a win though.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

Eric83
Dec 18 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm not even going to address the choice for Lead Actor. Ugh.
Exactly. I'm fine with Best Show though, but that's about it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply