Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Alison Sweeney Discusses 20 Years as Sami; Interview from about.com
Topic Started: Dec 19 2012, 02:02 PM (3,907 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

http://daysofourlives.about.com/b/2012/12/19/alison-sweeney-discusses-20-years-as-days-sami.htm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nolagirl
Member Avatar

Geez more of Sami, Sami, Sami.

Love how when she mentioned the men in her life she barely spoke of Bryan (Lucas), it was all about Galen and James and them fighting over her and how they'd get upset if she didn't mention them. MAJOR EYE ROLL

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Congrats to Sweeney! 20 years is a big thing, especially in today's soap standards.

I do agree with Sweeney when she mentioned how Scott and Gering are under the assumption that Sami ALWAYS has men chasing after her. Like Sweeney said, that only started happening in the last five or six years. Before then, it was always Sami going after someone else's man. For 15 years! It does put people's complaining about Sami being a whore and leading men along into perspective. That really isn't the case.

In regards to the three main love stories Sami's had (Lucas, EJ and Rafe), I think she summed them up well. To me, Lucas is obviously the most important relationship Sami's ever had. He's been in her life the most. EJ is sort of a temptation, a challenge. I remember reading that Hogan's goal in Sami and EJ's story was to never let EJ do something to Sami or anyone else that Sami's never done herself. That way, they would always be on an equal playing level. Neither one is better than the other. I wish that aspect was still taken into consideration with the couple. And then there's Rafe, who love them or hate them, is Sami's first mature romance. Sami and Rafe are what soap opera couples are all about. They're the standard, so I totally get why they have fans, even though I'm a Lumi fan at heart. I can totally understand that Lucas will always be Sami's first love/soul mate, but Rafe could be considered the love of her life.

Again, congrats to Sweeney! She's come a long way since that 16 year old brat we first met back in 1993. Who would've thought that little girl would one day be the show's leading lady? Not me, that's for sure. And while I'll always enjoy bad girl/scheming Sami, I'll always respect Sweeney's role on the show right now, whether she's written as a heroine or villain. The girl deserves her place.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Dec 19 2012, 02:23 PM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I gotta give it to her. She's one of the reasons I started watching the show, and she's one of the reasons I kept watching the show through stuff I didn't like in times past. I could always count on a Sami wedding to bring the drama. So she's given me a lot of entertainment over the years, and I appreciate that.

Also, I feel really old now.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

px780
Dec 19 2012, 02:24 PM
I gotta give it to her. She's one of the reasons I started watching the show, and she's one of the reasons I kept watching the show through stuff I didn't like in times past. I could always count on a Sami wedding to bring the drama. So she's given me a lot of entertainment over the years, and I appreciate that.

Also, I feel really old now.
Same! Sami is the first character I saw when I turned DAYS for the first time when I was 8. From that moment on, Sami was always my favorite character on the show. I watched for her to see what she would do next.

And like you, I feel old now as well. LOL.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

20 years really is impressive - particularly considering how much of that time she's been a big part of the story. I may not always like the way Sami is written (I prefer the scheming shit stirrer over the Marlena-ized version) but the chemistry she has with James Scott is enough to make me continue to root for EJami even when I really would like to take Sami behind a shed and kick the shit out of her. :lol:

She definitely gave the most PC answer she could as to who/what her favorite pairing has been.

am103
Member Avatar

I completely agree with everything Drew said. I may not always want to root for Sami and I may complain about her character more often than is probably necessary (the EJ/Sami/Rafe triangle has been done to DEATH!), but I do have respect for Sweeney's work and I do love the character of Sami. When I got back into Days in 2003 after a long absence, Sami was the most interesting character to me and I found myself especially drawn into her stories. Alison Sweeney is a fantastic actress, and she really showed her depth during the baby switch/Sydnapping saga.

I hope that when Days eventually comes to an end that Sami wakes up and realizes that Lucas is the one for her. I adored Sami when she first met Rafe, and I've even been enjoying the chemistry she shares with EJ of late, but Lucas is her soulmate. Period. They were the rooting couple for quite a few years and I believe that what Sami shares with EJ and Rafe does not even come close in comparison to the history and relationship that she shares with Lucas. Congrats to 20 years, Ali!

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

Hey Ali what about the "Brami" fans, don't we get a shoutout too LOL. :tounge:

Anyway even though Sami is on my "hate" list at the moment, she still is my 2nd fave soap character ever behind Reva Shayne. And I will always cherish Ali actually responding to one of my posts on the 2nd Chances site way back in 2002.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

JtSmarts
Dec 19 2012, 02:58 PM
The only man in Sami's life that NEVER gave anyone else his heart. The Brami fan in me still feels robbed.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 02:59 PM
JtSmarts
The only man in Sami's life that NEVER gave anyone else his heart. The Brami fan in me still feels robbed.
Oh I agree! Also,I feel a long term Brami vs. Lumi triangle would have been epic and I would have enjoyed every minute of it. :D

lysie
Member Avatar

Now. Treat her like every other veteran please. Thank you.

BillieD
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
JtSmarts
I think all of her pairings were/are good, except Safe. I liked Brami, I even liked Frami...I was so sad when Franco called her "that beech!". :lol:

Great article. TFP!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Kudos to Ali on 20 years. That's a huge accomplishment.

Helpless Romantic

BillieD
Dec 19 2012, 03:22 PM
DrewHamilton
JtSmarts
I think all of her pairings were/are good, except Safe. I liked Brami, I even liked Frami...I was so sad when Franco called her "that beech!". :lol:

Great article. TFP!
For me being a Sami fan first I liked all of her pairings except Saustin and EJAMI though very early on I felt they could have had potential but I grew to really love SAFE and completely agree with DrewHamilton's post. My thoughts exactly. On AS PC crap what else is new? Though the blogs she writes are just meant to stir the pot I would have liked an honest answer instead of the typical fence sitting she does and while its "new" for her to have guys chasing her its getting old for me especially with this piss poor attempt at a more "balanced" SAFE / EJAMI tri this time. It sucked the first time with idiot Sami and it sucks even more now. PLEASE move on from the crap. I would go for the pairing of Sami and a therapists chair where she REALLY needs to park herself at.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 19 2012, 03:43 PM.

AFaithL

Sami should be written like she was the first 15 years on the show -- as a semi- bad girl. That's the "popular" Sami. Sami the vixen.

I've grown to hate Sami the last 5 years because of Tomlin's obsession with rewriting her character into a heroine. Sami was never supposed to be someone like Marlena/Hope/Jennifer. She's supposed to do shady, underhanded things. She can STILL have a love interest and be underhanded and scheming. Two schemers can be in love. See Sawyer and Kate from "Lost". Their motto was "outlaws in love".

The writing for Sami needs to change dramatically. Less Hope/Marlena-like and more underhanded Kate/Nicole like.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 02:22 PM
Congrats to Sweeney! 20 years is a big thing, especially in today's soap standards.

I do agree with Sweeney when she mentioned how Scott and Gering are under the assumption that Sami ALWAYS has men chasing after her. Like Sweeney said, that only started happening in the last five or six years. Before then, it was always Sami going after someone else's man. For 15 years! It does put people's complaining about Sami being a whore and leading men along into perspective. That really isn't the case.

In regards to the three main love stories Sami's had (Lucas, EJ and Rafe), I think she summed them up well. To me, Lucas is obviously the most important relationship Sami's ever had. He's been in her life the most. EJ is sort of a temptation, a challenge. I remember reading that Hogan's goal in Sami and EJ's story was to never let EJ do something to Sami or anyone else that Sami's never done herself. That way, they would always be on an equal playing level. Neither one is better than the other. I wish that aspect was still taken into consideration with the couple. And then there's Rafe, who love them or hate them, is Sami's first mature romance. Sami and Rafe are what soap opera couples are all about. They're the standard, so I totally get why they have fans, even though I'm a Lumi fan at heart. I can totally understand that Lucas will always be Sami's first love/soul mate, but Rafe could be considered the love of her life.

Again, congrats to Sweeney! She's come a long way since that 16 year old brat we first met back in 1993. Who would've thought that little girl would one day be the show's leading lady? Not me, that's for sure. And while I'll always enjoy bad girl/scheming Sami, I'll always respect Sweeney's role on the show right now, whether she's written as a heroine or villain. The girl deserves her place.
I really enjoyed this post and I agree with pretty much all of it, especially your reading of the positions Lucas and Rafe occupy in Sami's life.

Thanks to the OP for putting this up and congratulations, Alison Sweeney! I started out loving Sami, now I love to hate her (though occasionally I love her again), but I'd hate to ever see her go completely.

Love her or hate her, Sami has become integral to this show (that's not to say that the show should revolve around her, and mercifully, right now it doesn't).
Edited by JessicaLeigh, Dec 19 2012, 03:52 PM.

Helpless Romantic

AFaithL
Dec 19 2012, 03:46 PM
Sami should be written like she was the first 15 years on the show -- as a semi- bad girl. That's the "popular" Sami. Sami the vixen.

I've grown to hate Sami the last 5 years because of Tomlin's obsession with rewriting her character into a heroine. Sami was never supposed to be someone like Marlena/Hope/Jennifer. She's supposed to do shady, underhanded things. She can STILL have a love interest and be underhanded and scheming. Two schemers can be in love. See Sawyer and Kate from "Lost". Their motto was "outlaws in love".

The writing for Sami needs to change dramatically. Less Hope/Marlena-like and more underhanded Kate/Nicole like.
Her character started getting the more heroine writing under Hogan Sheffer in 2007 with the Vendetta and scarificing herself for the family. It has only continued where she was and still is the constant victim to EJ"s schemes against her with his introduction and periods like now where he plays the "I'm a good boy now " card while scheming and doing everything he can to hold onto her. Then the bipolar writing for EJ kicked in with promoting him as the leading man and villian all in one and that IMO was an EPIC fail on the part of all the writers who have been writing for him since 2006 on to the present. You can't have it both ways. Thats why I love EJOLE because both he and Nicole can be badass without pretending to change because lets face it bad girl or not Sami has never accepted him and I doubt ever will. Not that I will ever buy it no matter what.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 19 2012, 04:04 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sweeney "sitting on the fence" about the men in Sami's life doesn't bother me because that's exactly how it's written on the show. What else is Sweeney supposed to say? If it were written that Rafe was Sami's true love, then Sweeney should say that. If it's written that EJ is Sami's true love, then Sweeney should say it. If it's written that Lucas is Sami's true love, then Sweeney should say it. Unfortunately, Tomlin/Whitesell continue to fail giving any real direction in the story, so that's how Sweeney responds. The same way.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
whaaaaaat?

Good on Sweeney! I'm in agreement with many here that the Sami whom I enjoyed most died when she took on the good girl role.

Personally, I don't think the heroine role plays to the character's strengths of experience or Sweeney's strengths as an actor. I've always thought a mature Sami would look more like Phyllis Newman or Carly on GH; certainly able to possess positive, nurturing and caring characteristics which always end up being superseded by their survival instinct and selfishness. Sweeney does such a great job with that type of motivation. Her sincerity plays better in small samples otherwise it just feels false.

Sami spouting the virtues of her motherhood and how she has changed isn't nearly as entertaining as her bribing, gaslighting and lying her ass off for whatever stupid result she deemed important.

Daysdegrassi
Member Avatar

While Sami has annoyed the heck outta me lately, and I will always be Team Nicole over Team Sami, I love Alison Sweeney! She seems like a nice person and she is a great actress. I loathe EJami (that's the EJole fan in me), but I do like seeing Sami's different side. As much as I love Safe and seeing Sami as the good girl, she will never change into what Rafe wants her to be. I think Sami will ultimately wind up with Lucas, because he is the only man she can be herself with: good and bad. And I like Lumi a lot, so I'd be fine with that. Truly, I think Rafe belongs with Carrie, but I still really enjoy Sami with Rafe.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply