Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Alison Sweeney Discusses 20 Years as Sami; Interview from about.com
Topic Started: Dec 19 2012, 02:02 PM (3,781 Views)
AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

I thought it was a pretty good article. I can't believe it's been 20 years, where does the time go? As for AS's response to the romance question, I thought it was proper that she mentioned BD first, Lucas has been involved in one way or another for as long as I can remember. I had to laugh about James and Galen thinking that Sami has always had men chasing her around, she's so right that it has only been a recent development for her character. Considering the strained relationship that Sami and Carrie have with one another, the one thing EJ did that forever endeared him to me was not giving Carrie a second glance from the very beginning, and to this day he's never been interested in her. As a Sami fan, that was pretty special and significant to me.

As for Sami and her scheming, the best part for me was always how she would pick herself up, dust herself off, and go about getting what she wanted in the face of one failure after another. That perseverance of hers always blew me away.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 02:22 PM
Congrats to Sweeney! 20 years is a big thing, especially in today's soap standards.

I do agree with Sweeney when she mentioned how Scott and Gering are under the assumption that Sami ALWAYS has men chasing after her. Like Sweeney said, that only started happening in the last five or six years. Before then, it was always Sami going after someone else's man. For 15 years! It does put people's complaining about Sami being a whore and leading men along into perspective. That really isn't the case.

In regards to the three main love stories Sami's had (Lucas, EJ and Rafe), I think she summed them up well. To me, Lucas is obviously the most important relationship Sami's ever had. He's been in her life the most. EJ is sort of a temptation, a challenge. I remember reading that Hogan's goal in Sami and EJ's story was to never let EJ do something to Sami or anyone else that Sami's never done herself. That way, they would always be on an equal playing level. Neither one is better than the other. I wish that aspect was still taken into consideration with the couple. And then there's Rafe, who love them or hate them, is Sami's first mature romance. Sami and Rafe are what soap opera couples are all about. They're the standard, so I totally get why they have fans, even though I'm a Lumi fan at heart. I can totally understand that Lucas will always be Sami's first love/soul mate, but Rafe could be considered the love of her life.

Again, congrats to Sweeney! She's come a long way since that 16 year old brat we first met back in 1993. Who would've thought that little girl would one day be the show's leading lady? Not me, that's for sure. And while I'll always enjoy bad girl/scheming Sami, I'll always respect Sweeney's role on the show right now, whether she's written as a heroine or villain. The girl deserves her place.
That's not logical to me because comparing what a young girl did to what a grown man is doing is utterly rediculous. How can what you did ten years ago make you equal to a grown man doing the same thing now? That's why they have juvenile and adult courts. You can be screwed up at sixteen and people will understand and sympathize. At some point, you figure the person will grow up and realize the error of their ways.

Screwed up at 30 (which they've never really explained why EJ is so screwed up) should mean jailtime or some kind of mental illness.

In reguards to her straddling the fence, it is one of the many reasons I no longer have respect for her. I don't care how they write the character. She should know her character enough to be able to say what she considers out of character. I've seen actresses and actors do that. You can say something doesn't fit and still be respectful to the writers. By her pretending that it all makes sense, it just makes her look stupid.

I agree she deserves her place in Salem history. She is the reason I started watching. And she is the reason I stopped watching.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

I love Alison Sweeney, even though Sami pisses me off on an almost daily basis. Congrats on 20 years!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Dec 19 2012, 06:04 PM
DrewHamilton
Congrats to Sweeney! 20 years is a big thing, especially in today's soap standards.

I do agree with Sweeney when she mentioned how Scott and Gering are under the assumption that Sami ALWAYS has men chasing after her. Like Sweeney said, that only started happening in the last five or six years. Before then, it was always Sami going after someone else's man. For 15 years! It does put people's complaining about Sami being a whore and leading men along into perspective. That really isn't the case.

In regards to the three main love stories Sami's had (Lucas, EJ and Rafe), I think she summed them up well. To me, Lucas is obviously the most important relationship Sami's ever had. He's been in her life the most. EJ is sort of a temptation, a challenge. I remember reading that Hogan's goal in Sami and EJ's story was to never let EJ do something to Sami or anyone else that Sami's never done herself. That way, they would always be on an equal playing level. Neither one is better than the other. I wish that aspect was still taken into consideration with the couple. And then there's Rafe, who love them or hate them, is Sami's first mature romance. Sami and Rafe are what soap opera couples are all about. They're the standard, so I totally get why they have fans, even though I'm a Lumi fan at heart. I can totally understand that Lucas will always be Sami's first love/soul mate, but Rafe could be considered the love of her life.

Again, congrats to Sweeney! She's come a long way since that 16 year old brat we first met back in 1993. Who would've thought that little girl would one day be the show's leading lady? Not me, that's for sure. And while I'll always enjoy bad girl/scheming Sami, I'll always respect Sweeney's role on the show right now, whether she's written as a heroine or villain. The girl deserves her place.
That's not logical to me because comparing what a young girl did to what a grown man is doing is utterly rediculous. How can what you did ten years ago make you equal to a grown man doing the same thing now? That's why they have juvenile and adult courts. You can be screwed up at sixteen and people will understand and sympathize. At some point, you figure the person will grow up and realize the error of their ways.
I don't think comparing crimes or what time frame they were committed was the point. I think the point was that Sami could never say EJ did something worse than her. That was Hogan's original plan. It's what he had planned for their story. EJ could do all of these horrible things, but it was nothing Sami never did. It was like EJ was always going to be Sami's reminder of the terrible things she used to do, considering that was around the time Hogan was maturing the character, and taking her out of the scheming role Reilly regressed her into when he returned to the show and into more of a leading lady.

Sounded logical to me back then. Liked the idea back then. Still do.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Dec 19 2012, 06:29 PM.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Nice interview and congratulations to Ali's 20 years on the show! I thought she responded professionally to these questions when it comes to Sami and her men! I really liked Lumi back in the days, and today is my favorite definitely Sami and EJ! I find Sami duller than dirt with Rafe so that relationship has never appealed to me! Must also add that Sami and Brandon were hot together!
Edited by The Scorpion, Dec 19 2012, 06:37 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 06:17 PM
Aliaron
DrewHamilton

I don't think comparing crimes or what time frame they were committed was the point. I think the point was that Sami could never say EJ did something worse than her. That was Hogan's original plan. It's what he had planned for their story. EJ could do all of these horrible things, but it was nothing Sami never did. It was like EJ was always going to be Sami's reminder of the terrible things she used to do, considering that was around the time Hogan was maturing the character, and taking her out of the scheming role Reilly regressed her into when he returned to the show and into more of a leading lady.

I took it from the point of one of equality. But the time frame makes it worst. Its worse when an adult does something immature, stupid or even criminal. There is no adult action you can compare to a child action and it would be equal. Even little things.

I come home from work and I see my significant other has skipped work to spend the day playing video games. I go what the heck?! He says you used to do it too. I go, yes when I was ib high school. What's your excuse.

An adult cannot cannot compare themselves to a child and find them equal. You can't see someone as your equal when they are doing stuff you did when you were 16.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 19 2012, 06:47 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Dec 19 2012, 06:43 PM
DrewHamilton
Aliaron
DrewHamilton

But the time frame makes it worst. Its worse when an adult does something immature, stupid or even criminal. There is no adult action you can compare to a child action and it would be equal. Even little things.

I come home from work and I see my significant other has skipped work to spend the day playing video games. I go what the heck?! He says you used to do it too. I go, yes when I was ib high school. What's your excuse.

An adult cannot cannot compare themselves to a child and find them equal. You can't see someone as your equal when they are doing stuff you did when you were 16.
Sami's crimes didn't stop when she was 16. They just got worse as she got older. She continued to lie. Raped her sister's boyfriend. Lied about Will's paternity. Lied about amnesia/paralysis. Lied about Lucas hitting Will. Blackmailed left and right. All of that happened (and more) after Sami was an adult.

The idea was a good one to me, and one that really made me fall in love and support the pairing years ago. Can't say I'm still a supporter, but that's because of the terrible writing regimes that came after Hogan.

annie21

lysie
Dec 19 2012, 03:10 PM
Now. Treat her like every other veteran please. Thank you.
Okay. Does that mean we should start scheduling Twitterbombs to bring her back to the show? Or should we just clamor for her to get more airtime because she's so obviously underutilized and we barely see her?

Or were you talking to TPTB instead of us? LOL!

Anyway, not a fan, but I thought this was a nice article. TFP.

blueskies
Member Avatar

hey, NOT true Ali! Brandon was the first man who she didn't have to chase! And yet she still chased him away....
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 06:50 PM
Aliaron
DrewHamilton
Aliaron

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepI remember reading that Hogan's goal in Sami and EJ's story was to never let EJ do something to Sami or anyone else that Sami's never done herself. That way, they would always be on an equal playing level.

But the time frame makes it worst. Its worse when an adult does something immature, stupid or even criminal. There is no adult action you can compare to a child action and it would be equal. Even little things.

Sami's crimes didn't stop when she was 16. They just got worse as she got older. She continued to lie. Raped her sister's boyfriend. Lied about Will's paternity. Lied about amnesia/paralysis. Lied about Lucas hitting Will. Blackmailed left and right. All of that happened (and more) after Sami was an adult.

The idea was a good one to me, and one that really made me fall in love and support the pairing years ago. Can't say I'm still a supporter, but that's because of the terrible writing regimes that came after Hogan.
I must say that I really liked Hogan's writing for the characters, Higley and TomSell really sucks when it comes to writing interesting characters! IMO

blueskies
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 02:59 PM
JtSmarts
Dec 19 2012, 02:58 PM
Hey Ali what about the "Brami" fans, don't we get a shoutout too LOL. :tounge:
The only man in Sami's life that NEVER gave anyone else his heart. The Brami fan in me still feels robbed.
i knew i shoulda read the comments first! I'm still a Brami fan too. Never really liked any of her other pairings. Just annoying when she ignores him & says EJ & Rafe were the first two she didn't have to chase, wtf.

Anyway, congrats Ali.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Aliaron
DrewHamilton
Aliaron

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepI remember reading that Hogan's goal in Sami and EJ's story was to never let EJ do something to Sami or anyone else that Sami's never done herself. That way, they would always be on an equal playing level.

Most of thst happened when she was a teenager. She did her worst when she was young. And even college age people get more leadway that Ej age.

He is too old to be considered misunderstood. Too old to be kidnapping babies and saying momma don't love you.

I liked Brandon until he cheated and became obsessed with Lexie. Then he became a super good guy. That's why I call what they did with Lucas, making him a super nice guy, as Brandonizing him.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 19 2012, 07:30 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Dec 19 2012, 07:21 PM
DrewHamilton
Aliaron
DrewHamilton

Most of thst happened when she was a teenager. She did her worst when she was young. And even college age people get more leadway that Ej age.

He is too old to be considered misunderstood. Too old to be kidnapping babies and saying momma don't love you.
Has anyone ever said EJ wasn't mentally ill? I don't think so. I think Sami Brady is mentally ill, LOL. They're one in the same. Which was Hogan's original plan.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Dec 19 2012, 07:38 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 07:37 PM
Aliaron
DrewHamilton
Aliaron

Has anyone ever said EJ wasn't mentally ill? I don't think so. I think Sami Brady is mentally ill, LOL. They're one in the same. Which was Hogan's original plan.
I disagree. I dont think Sami is mentally ill. But that's because Sami could be explained with a combination of her imaturity and her past. A 15-16 year old Sami kidnapped Belle because she, in her immature mind, thought she was protecting her father from her mother's infidelity, while saving her parents marriage and she thought she could still give her sister a good home. While screwed up, that's not mentally ill. That's why when John found out he didn't hold it as her. He just steered her into the right direction.

A 16 year old. Sami drugged Austin because she thought if only he would be with her then he would see how much she loved him and he loved her. And they would finally be together. Sami didn't do it to get pregnant. She did it because she was immature and like a lot if young girls thought sex equaled love.

Is that the reason EJ raped Sami? Not that reconned it wasnt rape it was a misunderstanding mess. Is there a rationale to faking Sydney's death? How about Rafe 2? Or stealing organs? Or threstening to kill Will? Or killing that cop... etc

Was it the way he was raised? But wasn't he raised in a normal home in Britain? That what he says when he talks about his childhood. So how does one decide murder, blackmail and rape is fine? Unless one is a nutjob.

How is anything EJ has done equal to what Sami has done in anything other than the most superficial of layers? Like describing the Ouachita River as being equal to the Atlantic Ocean because they are both bodies of water.

Nothing EJ has done can be rationized without some sickness or emotional abuse involved.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 19 2012, 08:13 PM.

Mean, Mean, Mean!
Member Avatar

(Didn't read all 3 pages so, sorry if someone already said this but...)

I'm dissapointed in the lack of Lumi love too, but, for history's sake, I'm flabbergasted that Austin wasn't mentioned once. I think in the 20 years shes been on the show she's been after Austin for at least 10.

lysie
Member Avatar

I'm going to have to go back and check the definition of mentally ill. Spoiler alert: I'm going to agree with Drew Hamilton.

Helpless Romantic

I don't know.... Sami's behaviour post hate boink last year and up until now screams certifiable and mentally ill what she says and does especially in relation to Elvis MAKES NO SENSE!! :drunk: There is no attempt at explaining her behaviour AT ALL like in the past other than "he is the father of my kids" mantra or "I'm only thinking about what's best for my kids". BS! :rolleyes: There is no excuse for her willingly cozying up to Elvis and then have her wonder WHY Rafe or Lucas JUST might have a problem! Brain dead Sami forgot EVERYTHING even as early as last year and had cutesy talks while drinking wine to "never ever do that shit to each other" with a disgusting grin to boot and was mad all of TWO seconds if that, that her son was being blackmailed. I do consider that mentally ill and delusional especially in the next breath when they have her spew how horrible Kristen and Stefano are but Elvis to her gets a pass.. okay...
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 19 2012, 08:56 PM.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

A question? Reilly wrote EJ in order to match Sami?

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

Thanks, Lysie! Great article! Sami is one of the reasons I watched and stay with the show. Even when I was solely a Passions viewers, I knew who she was. Congrats to Ali. She is definitely a superwoman.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Dec 19 2012, 07:54 PM
DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 07:37 PM
Aliaron
DrewHamilton

I disagree. I dont think Sami is mentally ill. But that's because Sami could be explained with a combination of her imaturity and her past. A 15-16 year old Sami kidnapped Belle because she, in her immature mind, thought she was protecting her father from her mother's infidelity, while saving her parents marriage and she thought she could still give her sister a good home. While screwed up, that's not mentally ill. That's why when John found out he didn't hold it as her. He just steered her into the right direction.

A 16 year old. Sami drugged Austin because she thought if only he would be with her then he would see how much she loved him and he loved her. And they would finally be together. Sami didn't do it to get pregnant. She did it because she was immature and like a lot if young girls thought sex equaled love.

Is that the reason EJ raped Sami? Not that reconned it wasnt rape it was a misunderstanding mess. Is there a rationale to faking Sydney's death? How about Rafe 2? Or stealing organs? Or threstening to kill Will? Or killing that cop... etc

Was it the way he was raised? But wasn't he raised in a normal home in Britain? That what he says when he talks about his childhood. So how does one decide murder, blackmail and rape is fine? Unless one is a nutjob.
Sami was 18 when she raped with Austin. Not 16.

Again, you're taking things that happened POST-Hogan Sheffer and trying to incorporate it to the idea I brought up. EJ hadn't done half the things you're talking about when Hogan Sheffer had his plan laid out.

As for explaining EJ's childhood, it's been changed so many damn times, that who knows if it was explained. I think the general idea is that EJ was raised by Stefano. That alone would fuck anybody up and explain any horrible crime committed, LOL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply