Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Alison Sweeney Discusses 20 Years as Sami; Interview from about.com
Topic Started: Dec 19 2012, 02:02 PM (3,975 Views)
DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

The Scorpion
Dec 19 2012, 08:33 PM
A question? Reilly wrote EJ in order to match Sami?
No. Hogan Sheffer did. Reilly had left the building shortly after EJ first aired.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 08:53 PM
Aliaron
Dec 19 2012, 07:54 PM
DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 07:37 PM
Aliaron
Dec 19 2012, 07:21 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepI remember reading that Hogan's goal in Sami and EJ's story was to never let EJ do something to Sami or anyone else that Sami's never done herself. That way, they would always be on an equal playing level.
Has anyone ever said EJ wasn't mentally ill? I don't think so. I think Sami Brady is mentally ill, LOL. They're one in the same. Which was Hogan's original plan.
I disagree. I dont think Sami is mentally ill. But that's because Sami could be explained with a combination of her imaturity and her past. A 15-16 year old Sami kidnapped Belle because she, in her immature mind, thought she was protecting her father from her mother's infidelity, while saving her parents marriage and she thought she could still give her sister a good home. While screwed up, that's not mentally ill. That's why when John found out he didn't hold it as her. He just steered her into the right direction.

A 16 year old. Sami drugged Austin because she thought if only he would be with her then he would see how much she loved him and he loved her. And they would finally be together. Sami didn't do it to get pregnant. She did it because she was immature and like a lot if young girls thought sex equaled love.

Is that the reason EJ raped Sami? Not that reconned it wasnt rape it was a misunderstanding mess. Is there a rationale to faking Sydney's death? How about Rafe 2? Or stealing organs? Or threstening to kill Will? Or killing that cop... etc

Was it the way he was raised? But wasn't he raised in a normal home in Britain? That what he says when he talks about his childhood. So how does one decide murder, blackmail and rape is fine? Unless one is a nutjob.
Sami was 18 when she raped with Austin. Not 16.

Again, you're taking things that happened POST-Hogan Sheffer and trying to incorporate it to the idea I brought up. EJ hadn't done half the things you're talking about when Hogan Sheffer had his plan laid out.

As for explaining EJ's childhood, it's been changed so many damn times, that who knows if it was explained. I think the general idea is that EJ was raised by Stefano. That alone would fuck anybody up and explain any horrible crime committed, LOL.
I believe she was 17 because Lucas was 19. I tend to not care if she was 21. Still a big difference between that and grown man of Ej's alleged age.

I still hold firm to the rediculousness of being equal to someone by doing now what they did a decade ago. Didn't Sheffer write the rape? He went on to do it again on Y&R.

And EJ has said several times that he was raised by Susan and that nerd guy.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 19 2012, 09:06 PM.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 08:54 PM
The Scorpion
No. Hogan Sheffer did. Reilly had left the building shortly after EJ first aired.
Thanks for the reply, I meant created character EJ? :)

Helpless Romantic

The Scorpion
Dec 19 2012, 09:03 PM
DrewHamilton
The Scorpion
Yes JER created the EJ Wells DiMera character.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 19 2012, 09:06 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Dec 19 2012, 09:01 PM
And then said he was raised at Maison Blanche in New Orleans by Stefano. Who knows where the fucker was raised, LOL.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 09:04 PM
Aliaron
And then said he was raised at Maison Blanche in New Orleans by Stefano. Who knows where the fucker was raised, LOL.
I dont remember that. But I hated that entire storyline and didnt watch it much. Only days could ruin a shoot in News Orleans with their backwards understanding of the area.

The fact we know so little about EJ though he is constantly on is why I say he is the most overly used paper thin character on this show. He's on all the time but has no substance which is why he is on all the time. Its a vicious cycle. One that has damaged two of my favorite characters because both sami and Nicole are used to supplement his worthlessness.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 19 2012, 09:15 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Double post.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 19 2012, 09:09 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Yeah, apparently that's where Stefano brought EJ when he took him from Susan and Edmund. But then that was supposedly before Stefano then sent EJ to schools in Europe. What a traveler!

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Helpless Romantic
The Scorpion
DrewHamilton
The Scorpion
Thanks I think I read somewhere that he wanted a male Sami when he created EJ! :)

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

The Scorpion
Dec 19 2012, 09:11 PM
Helpless Romantic
The Scorpion
DrewHamilton

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Thanks I think I read somewhere that he wanted a male Sami when he created EJ! :)
Hmm. I never heard of Reilly's intentions for the character, just as that he wanted EJ to be Elvis. I thought's really all the input Reilly had in the character. Shortly after the character was created, Reilly was fired, and Kola Boof was brought and created most of the EJ that we saw the summer 2006 until Beth Milstein took over the writing for a couple months in August until Hogan Sheffer officially took over in October.

Helpless Romantic

The Scorpion
Helpless Romantic
The Scorpion
DrewHamilton

No problem :) The way they first started out when he first came on just as EJ Wells is when I actually enjoyed them together shocker I know LOL but all the crap that followed ruined everything for me. I wonder what JER would have done had he not been let go.. I guess we will never really know but if they continued writing them the way they were first written when he came on I would have been a fan as I said I am a Sami fan first but deciding to go the EJ is obsessive route ruined that for me.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 19 2012, 09:25 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Back to on topic, I do believe AS deserves props for sticking with Days for so long even though now she is more of a problem thsn a solution.

If they gave Sami her own storyline without this horrible nonsense of a triangle it would do a lot to fix her character.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Helpless Romantic
Dec 19 2012, 09:17 PM
The Scorpion
Helpless Romantic
The Scorpion

No problem :) The way they first started out when he first came on just as EJ Wells is when I actually enjoyed them together shocker I know LOL but all the crap that followed ruined everything for me. I wonder what JER would have done had he not been let go.. I guess we will never really know but if they continued writing them the way they were first written when he came on I would have been a fan as I said I am a Sami fan first but deciding to go the EJ is obsessive route ruined that for me.
Yes I know the writing has been a disaster for them many times, but I'm still sold on them just for their immense chemistry, Moreover despite the crappy writing I find them interesting together! IMO :)

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

DrewHamilton
Aliaron
maybe Gina baby sat him while she was there, too. lol. ;) (and who knows if it was the real Princess Gina or Hope as Gina that did that)

EJ_SamiFF
Member Avatar

I have always been a Sami fan, through the good and bad. Sami is one of the reasons I tuned into days. I rooted for her when she schemed with Lucas to break up Carrie and Austin :popcorn: , and shook my head during her Stan stage, :frustration: but that was Sami being Sami. I prefer Sami as the schemer and not the Carrie wannabe, Ali portrays the Sami that is selfish, narcassitic manipulator bitch better IMO.Congratulations Mrs.Sweeney on 20 years as one of the most dynamic characters in days/soap history.

vettejb

px780
Dec 19 2012, 02:24 PM
I gotta give it to her. She's one of the reasons I started watching the show, and she's one of the reasons I kept watching the show through stuff I didn't like in times past. I could always count on a Sami wedding to bring the drama. So she's given me a lot of entertainment over the years, and I appreciate that.

Also, I feel really old now.
Happy for you and others, but for me Sami is the sole reason I stopped watching DOOL this year.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

I think Ali deserves to be congratulated for all she does and for her 20th Days anniversary. Kudos to her. It's so rare that soaps keep their vets around so long and she's been the character that has had the most impact on the show and she continues to have the same impact today IMHO.

Now let's talk a bit about Sami. I don't know what it is, but I've had a love/hate relationship with Sami pretty much since the day Sweeney started playing the character, and in many ways I still consider myself a fan. That being said, my love for Sami is at an all time low and I feel that nothing aside from a brain chip, doppleganger of Sami would salvage the character in my eyes at this stage. I guess that is what happens when a set of writers continously do whatever they can to destroy the character I loved for so long.

I understood much of Sami's behavior early on, even if I didn't always agree with what she was doing, because she was a character that was good in the beginning until a few life changing events sent her spiraling out of control. What I always loved about Sami was her spitfire personality, the fact that at one point in time she loved one man and you had no doubt that she loved that one man, whether obsessive crush type 'stalkerish love' for Austin, truer love for Brandon, soul mate/love of my life love for Lucas or a more mature love for Rafe, she loved the man, and contrary to popular belief, she wasn't fickle and until a few years back, you absolutely knew who Sami loved because Sami would tell us, by either her dreams or her conversations with a mirror, or a stuffed toy, there was no question at all.....Another trait I loved was her selfishness and her desire to get her way no matter who she hurt in the process. How I stuck with the character through so much and still wanted her and Lucas paired I'll never know, because boy she did some shitty things to Lucas that prompted the shitty thing he did to her......maybe it was the kind of writing they gave characters back then, TRUE grey characters with layers, way more character driven and much less plot point BS. Or maybe it was that a teen Sami played by Sweeney came on in Jan and by April there was a teen Lucas played by Dattilo and they just clicked, but the stories were good too, partners in crime, doing awful shit to get those they thought would make them happy, they would start and extend schemes for what seemed like years, but the stories were so much better back then, so much more entertaining, with good drama but also humor built in. Sigh. How I miss those days.

I understood all of Sami's motivations, or at the very least could explain them until about mid/late 2007 and 2008. Even then, the basis of the story was still that if Lucas was around, maybe she wouldn't have been intimate with EJ, however, I still couldn't comprehend after everything she had been through and after watching Sami for so long how Sami would be able to be so easily manipulated by EJ. I guess it never made sense to me why Hogan would let Ej win out in the end there....Lumi being schemers should have united and come up with their own dastardly way to get around EJ and the Dimera Vendetta, screw Kate over too, as she was helping Ej and the Dimeras then and come out on top...but alas..that didn't happen and IMHO the show has been truly suffering ever since that time.....then came Rafe, Grace dying and all that and I could believe that Sami would fall in love with Rafe because he was the man she always wanted to land. Let's face it, it was never in her plan to fall in love with Lucas, but she did...however, in her mind I could buy her falling for Rafe because she had looked for her 'Austin' for so long, and she finally found him in Rafe.....he protected her, risked his job and jail time for her and pretty much was by her side through thick and thin....so yeah, I buy her love for the guy but I don't like what that relationship did to Sami's character. I don't like what the continous attempts to pair her with Ej do to her character either.....and I use to like Brami but the minute that Brandon got obsessive over Lexie, I was done.

I also agree with whomever said upthread that Ali should say if she thinks that something is completely out of character for Sami. What's wrong with that? I hate that PC stance she takes....it's something that has rubbed me the wrong way for so long...everyone knows she has a job to do and I frankly don't think that GG or JS really would give a crap if she would state her preference....but whatever....I'm sure one day she will tell us how she felt and what Sami relationship was in fact her favorite, of course by then the show will cease to exist and no one will really give a shit anymore.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NikiLani
Member Avatar

She was never the reason I watched (Jack/MA was) or the reason I stopped watching (Jack's illness and Nicole leaving after the mess with Chloe and the bacteria made me stop cold turkey). I still bother with show due to spoilers, day aheads and YouTube but that's only because of AZ's talent and EJole I haven't given up completely. however AS/Sami is the reason I hate this show as much as I do right now. I am glad she recognized the relationship that made me root for her for almost all these twenty years but no more, Lucas/BD deserves better that the crap deal he got this year and whatever nostalgia she's feeling.

Edited by NikiLani, Dec 19 2012, 11:10 PM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

px780
Dec 19 2012, 02:24 PM
I gotta give it to her. She's one of the reasons I started watching the show, and she's one of the reasons I kept watching the show through stuff I didn't like in times past. I could always count on a Sami wedding to bring the drama. So she's given me a lot of entertainment over the years, and I appreciate that.

Also, I feel really old now.
Pretty much all this. I'm a 25+ years Days watcher and for much of that time, Sami has been one of the major reasons I've tuned in. I don't always like her, but I usually find her interesting. That's more than I can say for most characters on this show and to sustain that for 20 years is pretty impressive.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2012, 02:59 PM
JtSmarts
Dec 19 2012, 02:58 PM
Hey Ali what about the "Brami" fans, don't we get a shoutout too LOL. :tounge:
The only man in Sami's life that NEVER gave anyone else his heart. The Brami fan in me still feels robbed.
Brandon was always my favorite guy for Sami. Plus it also gave us the Sami vs Lexie rivalry which I have always found to be underrated in terms of Sami's other rivals.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply