Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Rafe Breaks up with Sami; airs week of 12/24
Topic Started: Dec 20 2012, 02:25 PM (9,273 Views)
Helpless Romantic

gailwinters
Dec 21 2012, 10:15 AM
Helpless Romantic
Dec 21 2012, 10:03 AM
tomsawyer
Dec 21 2012, 09:57 AM
Becki
Dec 21 2012, 03:06 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
EJ and Kristin's "scheme" is for EJ to work with Sami at CW so he can spend time with her. Which is remarkably similar to Rafe's "scheme" of having Sami plan Gabi's wedding so he can spend time with her. Really, I don't consider either to be a scheme. I consider it to be a normal thing a guy does when he likes a girl and is trying to get her to like him too.
Actually the scheme to "plan Gabi's wedding" is all Sami, she voluntarily named herself wedding planner and enlisted Rafe's help to "tell her everything about Gabi's likes and dislikes" at the pub meeting they had when she summoned him to meet her, which is when Rafe brought up Arianna always being the one that was going to do it. This was later confirmed by Caroline when she talked to Rafe at the pub and said "don't kid yourself she is doing it all for you", meaning planning Gabi's wedding. After Rafe complimented her on doing so to Caroline.
Yep, but Rafe ran to Sami to get her "help" in befriending Gabi, which was his version of EJ's "scheme".
Sami was more than willing and even said she thought about calling him to see how the Gabi situation was after the fact. While Sami has not gone out on a limb for EJ in this he is the one trying to "impress her" and all the other BS they are trying to pull with this revamped triangle.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 21 2012, 10:39 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Daysdegrassi
Member Avatar

I read somewhere that there was a renewal option through 2014 for Days and Y&R. I believe it was on wikipedia last year. I can see Days being renewed, and I hope it happens, but the lackluster ratings will fire TIIC I think.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Dec 21 2012, 10:07 AM
tomsawyer
Becki
JamaicanBeauty7
Dec 20 2012, 11:41 PM

-Unless you count being Sami's boss, EJ isn't even scheming. He's just there spending time with Sami.
I thought EJ and Kristen were talking or hatching a plan at one point so EJ can be with Sami? If that isn't scheming, I don't know what is.
EJ and Kristin's "scheme" is for EJ to work with Sami at CW so he can spend time with her. Which is remarkably similar to Rafe's "scheme" of having Sami plan Gabi's wedding so he can spend time with her. Really, I don't consider either to be a scheme. I consider it to be a normal thing a guy does when he likes a girl and is trying to get her to like him too.
Or pretty much like when a woman joins a group because there's a guy she is interested in.
Pretty much. I don't think either is a scheme. Rafe asked Sami to reach out to Gabi. EJ inserted himself as Sami's boss. They are both trying to find a way to be part of her life and to have her in their lives. Again, pretty normal behavior when you like someone. In fact, it's so normal that it's boring as hell, LOL.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

tomsawyer
Dec 21 2012, 10:40 AM
gailwinters
tomsawyer
Becki

Or pretty much like when a woman joins a group because there's a guy she is interested in.
Pretty much. I don't think either is a scheme. Rafe asked Sami to reach out to Gabi. EJ inserted himself as Sami's boss. They are both trying to find a way to be part of her life and to have her in their lives. Again, pretty normal behavior when you like someone. In fact, it's so normal that it's boring as hell, LOL.
EJ's is a scheme because he wants her at all costs while Rafe though he loves her WALKS AWAY and is not obsessed with her being with him. While Elvis does not get the meaning of the word no and can't stand to lose. Sami is a prize to be won to him always has been otherwise he wouldn't be "bragging about his accomplishments about how he is winning" that will backfire in the end. As always. Rafe also doesn't get help from others so Sami is near him, she just chooses to be of her own will free from manipulation.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 21 2012, 10:53 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Daysdegrassi
Member Avatar

^^^EJ doesn't understand no, we saw that when he raped Sami. You are right.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Becki
JamaicanBeauty7

-Unless you count being Sami's boss, EJ isn't even scheming. He's just there spending time with Sami.
I thought EJ and Kristen were talking or hatching a plan at one point so EJ can be with Sami? If that isn't scheming, I don't know what is.
While I COMPLETELY agree, the way EJ keeps talking about its makes me think Tomlin thinks its a big deal scheme.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

lysie
Dec 21 2012, 10:58 AM
tomsawyer
Becki
JamaicanBeauty7

While I COMPLETELY agree, the way EJ keeps talking about its makes me think Tomlin thinks its a big deal scheme.
That is what I was thinking too. Why does Ej keep mentioning what he's doing as some sort of a 'scheme'...unless Tomlin is setting it up for Sami to overhear a conversation later between Kristen and EJ and think it's something else. Who knows with these writers but really, is this the only thing they can come up with?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

LuvingLumi
Dec 21 2012, 11:04 AM
lysie
tomsawyer
Becki

That is what I was thinking too. Why does Ej keep mentioning what he's doing as some sort of a 'scheme'...unless Tomlin is setting it up for Sami to overhear a conversation later between Kristen and EJ and think it's something else. Who knows with these writers but really, is this the only thing they can come up with?
No, as proven in the past his schemes were far more sinister against her with R2 and bloody baby clothes but now since they are trying to pull off this "more balanced" triangle you know.. his schemes need to be more neutered and possibly blamed all on Kristen in the end. I can so see them doing this and history of Ej blaming others repeats itself yet again! Especially if Kristen is the one to out the scheme to Sami in her game and you know EJ will play the sympathy card as all he is doing is "trying to be more like Lexie" Didn't you know?! :sarcasm: :flipoff: PTB!
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 21 2012, 11:35 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

lysie
tomsawyer
I agree and it doesn't make sense to me since EJ's actions themselves are not nefarious. My only thought is that this is Tomlin's lame way of trying to make the triangle legitimate while somewhat retaining EJ's "personality." That is, it's a legit triangle because EJ isn't really doing anything bad to keep Safe apart, but they want EJ to seem sneaky since that's his character so they write these surfacey allusions to it. It's stupid, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

What I don't get is why don't they make it a legit triangle that highlights the contrast between the men based on REAL actions, as supposed to shallow mis-characterizations of what they're doing. They could keep the triangle legitimate by not having EJ do underhanded things to win Sami, but at the same time have him trying to convince Sami to do underhanded things for CW to beat the competition. EJ could be the devil on her shoulder who is trying to bring out the bad girl while Rafe is the angel trying to get her to walk the straight and narrow, but with both men being honest with Sami about who they are and what they want from her. I'd actually be interested in that story and it would be an effective way to resolve the triangle once and for all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Dec 21 2012, 11:48 AM
lysie
tomsawyer
I agree and it doesn't make sense to me since EJ's actions themselves are not nefarious. My only thought is that this is Tomlin's lame way of trying to make the triangle legitimate while somewhat retaining EJ's "personality." That is, it's a legit triangle because EJ isn't really doing anything bad to keep Safe apart, but they want EJ to seem sneaky since that's his character so they write these surfacey allusions to it. It's stupid, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

What I don't get is why don't they make it a legit triangle that highlights the contrast between the men based on REAL actions, as supposed to shallow mis-characterizations of what they're doing. They could keep the triangle legitimate by not having EJ do underhanded things to win Sami, but at the same time have him trying to convince Sami to do underhanded things for CW to beat the competition. EJ could be the devil on her shoulder who is trying to bring out the bad girl while Rafe is the angel trying to get her to walk the straight and narrow, but with both men being honest with Sami about who they are and what they want from her. I'd actually be interested in that story and it would be an effective way to resolve the triangle once and for all.
I agree. Unfortunately, the way they've done it has pretty much stripped EJ and Sami both of any personality. Meanwhile, they've retained my least favorite part of EJ (at least as it retains to being in a relationship with Sami) in that they have him pushing her to commit before she's ready. They've never addressed that as an issue with him, but it's definitely been consistent from the beginning and it drives me crazy. They'd be in a relationship by now if he had even a fraction of the patience he bragged to Will about having. He's such a girl! IMO, having Rafe walk away makes him look a lot better. Of course since they're all going to kiss the following week, I guess it doesn't even matter anyway.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

lysie
Dec 21 2012, 11:53 AM
tomsawyer
Dec 21 2012, 11:48 AM
lysie
tomsawyer

I agree. Unfortunately, the way they've done it has pretty much stripped EJ and Sami both of any personality. Meanwhile, they've retained my least favorite part of EJ (at least as it retains to being in a relationship with Sami) in that they have him pushing her to commit before she's ready. They've never addressed that as an issue with him, but it's definitely been consistent from the beginning and it drives me crazy. They'd be in a relationship by now if he had even a fraction of the patience he bragged to Will about having. He's such a girl! IMO, having Rafe walk away makes him look a lot better. Of course since they're all going to kiss the following week, I guess it doesn't even matter anyway.
This is precisely why this lame triangle and pairing does not work. No matter how hard they try and I mean no offence, as if both were in character and not dumbed down( Sami) or in EJ's case made to look pathetic desperately chasing her and recieved better writing from the start I could have been a fan. At this point though too much has gone on that is a deterioration and dis- service to both characters and nothing at this point will sell me that she is in love with EJ in LUST yes, in love no and I would feel that way even not having a preference for her. The sugar coating and bltant ignorance of their issues by the PTB only adds to this problem when they decide to go there again and again. Each time being worse than the last. The chemistry that JS and AS as actors have IMO can't solve anything when their whole story has just been written poorly and I need a good story to get behind my couples and truly believe through action that they BOTH love each other, and I don't get that with EJ and Sami. He may be her temptation but time and again when push comes to shove EJ is never good enough for her and that is why I can't root for them to be together above all else.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Dec 21 2012, 12:39 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SafenSound

Helpless Romantic
Dec 21 2012, 10:44 AM
tomsawyer
Dec 21 2012, 10:40 AM
gailwinters
tomsawyer

EJ's is a scheme because he wants her at all costs while Rafe though he loves her WALKS AWAY and is not obsessed with her being with him. While Elvis does not get the meaning of the word no and can't stand to lose. Sami is a prize to be won to him always has been otherwise he wouldn't be "bragging about his accomplishments about how he is winning" that will backfire in the end. As always. Rafe also doesn't get help from others so Sami is near him, she just chooses to be of her own will free from manipulation.
I agree w/your post, spot on! Rafe and Sami both love each other, there's no denying that. Despite Ej's attempt to redeem himself by distancing himself from Stefano, he is a Dimera and the writers need him to go back to his grass roots instead of being manipulated by Kristen just to get closer to Sami by working together, it'll backfire for sure. Rafe walking away from Sami will only cause her to want him more and I luv that! Maybe it's just me but whenever Sami is at work, when alone, she is constantly thinking about Rafe, that's a good thing. Don't really care for the triangle again but hey if it'll bring Safe together, I'm all for it! :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

SafenSound

hellencatherine
Dec 21 2012, 08:05 AM
I guarantee that Sami and Rafe are not over and by next year November 2013 they will get back together, after reading this interview with Galen Gering, I just have a feeling SAFE are not done, and I am not a fan of SAFE or EJAMI. I think maybe the twist is that Sami's love and feelings for Rafe will become bigger and Rafe will try to move on and maybe get a love interest but Sami won't be happy about it, she will be jealous I wouldn't be surprised if Sami confess her love to Rafe and tells Rafe she wants to be with him and only him, and apologizes for hurting him and destroying their love and family etc. Then they will make love and EJ will see it and get angry and wants revenge, I bet Sami will get pregnant with Rafe's baby the rest is history. I am sure GT will give SAFE a baby I can see it coming
I read that interview as well. KC's hint of a big surprise coming could be Gabi/Will's baby, to discovering Ejole's baby (I hope) or Rafe's blast from the past, Emily. I would hope they would write all three, that would be interesting to watch unfold, imo.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Quote:

Yes, it's my least favorite aspect of how they've often written Ejami. I didn't mind EJ's pursuit of her initially because it was a pretty fresh angle for Sami back in 2006, but it's long since lost it's charm for me. That's why I actually somewhat enjoyed the Spring-Summer 2012 Ejami story because they were writing Sami as drawn to EJ in spite of herself and EJ as the confident, sexy seducer who knew he could reel her in. That made him and the pairing much more attractive IMO. Right now, EJ looks desperate which is so not sexy. But I assume that is what Tomlin wants since I think odds are decent he will have Rafe/Safe prevail in the end.

Quote:

This is precisely why this lame triangle and pairing does not work. No matter how hard they try and I mean no offence, as if both were in character and not dumbed down( Sami) or in EJ's case made to look pathetic desperately chasing her and recieved better writing from the start I could have been a fan. At this point though too much has gone on that is a deterioration and dis- service to both characters and nothing at this point will sell me that she is in love with EJ in LUST yes, in love no and I would feel that way even not having a preference for her. The sugar coating and bltant ignorance of their issues by the PTB only adds to this problem when they decide to go there again and again.

While I agree that the triangle doesn't work for me as it's currently being written, I think they could write a good triangle and retain the core of the characters if they wanted to. To me, EJ and Rafe could and should represent two different sides to Sami. She should be drawn to EJ because he represents her desire for power, to get what she wants even if it hurts others and her questionable moral compass. At the same time, she should be leary of EJ because of their violent history and his tendency to lead her down a dark path that isn't what she wants for her life now. On the flip side, she should be drawn to Rafe because he represents her desire for a stable family, the fairytale romance and to be with a man who makes her family proud. At the same time, she should be leary of Rafe because he doesn't trust her and tends to try to make her somebody she's not.

To me, the most frustrating aspect of the Ejami-Safe triangle is that it actually COULD have been a good triangle. The core of the characters is enough to present a legitimate choice for Sami without writing anybody inconsistently or dumbing them down. In fact, a well-written Ejami-Safe triangle could have been used to explore who the characters really are, who they want to be and to bring some consistency to them. Instead, we got the Sydnap, summer of suck, the shooting and R2 - a bunch of disjointed plots without any sort of character consistency, insight or growth. Don't get me wrong, I love plots and drama, but the best ones are those rooted in the characters and their development.
Edited by tomsawyer, Dec 21 2012, 12:56 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

tomsawyer
Dec 21 2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:

Yes, it's my least favorite aspect of how they've often written Ejami. I didn't mind EJ's pursuit of her initially because it was a pretty fresh angle for Sami back in 2006, but it's long since lost it's charm for me. That's why I actually somewhat enjoyed the Spring-Summer 2012 Ejami story because they were writing Sami as drawn to EJ in spite of herself and EJ as the confident, sexy seducer who knew he could reel her in. That made him and the pairing much more attractive IMO. Right now, EJ looks desperate which is so not sexy. But I assume that is what Tomlin wants since I think odds are decent he will have Rafe/Safe prevail in the end.

Quote:

This is precisely why this lame triangle and pairing does not work. No matter how hard they try and I mean no offence, as if both were in character and not dumbed down( Sami) or in EJ's case made to look pathetic desperately chasing her and recieved better writing from the start I could have been a fan. At this point though too much has gone on that is a deterioration and dis- service to both characters and nothing at this point will sell me that she is in love with EJ in LUST yes, in love no and I would feel that way even not having a preference for her. The sugar coating and bltant ignorance of their issues by the PTB only adds to this problem when they decide to go there again and again.

While I agree that the triangle doesn't work for me as it's currently being written, I think they could write a good triangle and retain the core of the characters if they wanted to. To me, EJ and Rafe could and should represent two different sides to Sami. She should be drawn to EJ because he represents her desire for power, to get what she wants even if it hurts others and her questionable moral compass. At the same time, she should be leary of EJ because of their violent history and his tendency to lead her down a dark path that isn't what she wants for her life now. On the flip side, she should be drawn to Rafe because he represents her desire for a stable family, the fairytale romance and to be with a man who makes her family proud. At the same time, she should be leary of Rafe because he doesn't trust her and tends to try to make her somebody she's not.

To me, the most frustrating aspect of the Ejami-Safe triangle is that it actually COULD have been a good triangle. The core of the characters is enough to present a legitimate choice for Sami without writing anybody inconsistently or dumbing them down. In fact, a well-written Ejami-Safe triangle could have been used to explore who the characters really are, who they want to be and to bring some consistency to them. Instead, we got the Sydnap, summer of suck, the shooting and R2 - a bunch of disjointed plots without any sort of character consistency, insight or growth. Don't get me wrong, I love plots and drama, but the best ones are those rooted in the characters and their development.
TomSawyer, I think we are just at their mercy and for what you described to happen would actually involve character driven stories and not plot driven your feelings on Rafe changing Sami is what I feel Sami does to EJ hence him feeling the need to manipulate situations to his advantage and do good things for her benefit. Rafe also admited early in their relationship that he was wrong to try and change her as he fell in love with the schemer. In the safehouse they were at their best and the writing should have continued in that way. Sami pulls something and Rafe shakes his head but understands her scheming in busniess for example, while I will also say that EJ is not responsible for their lack of trust entirely a big part of why that trust was broken to begin with is because of her sleeping with EJ. I would like to see those issues dealt with but that has as much chance of happening as the Mayan's prediction of the "world coming to an end today." LOL.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

lysie
tomsawyer
Becki
JamaicanBeauty7

Agreed. And that is a perfect example of what has happened to the 'villains' on this show and why they are so uninspiring. :shame:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ljay
Member Avatar

Why does ANY man have to scheme to get Sami? Shes the mother of four kids. You could get her kids a stuffed animal or offer her a job at your company and she would fall in love with ya...Oops...Nevermind.
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

Ljay
Dec 21 2012, 03:43 PM
Why does ANY man have to scheme to get Sami? Shes the mother of four kids. You could get her kids a stuffed animal or offer her a job at your company and she would fall in love with ya...Oops...Nevermind.
You forgot the cook a stew option.
Offline Profile Goto Top

camera shy

You really don't have to scheme to get Sami. All it takes is for her to be lonely and to say the right things.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Helpless Romantic
Dec 21 2012, 11:09 AM
LuvingLumi
Dec 21 2012, 11:04 AM
lysie
tomsawyer

No, as proven in the past his schemes were far more sinister against her with R2 and bloody baby clothes but now since they are trying to pull off this "more balanced" triangle you know.. his schemes need to be more neutered and possibly blamed all on Kristen in the end. I can so see them doing this and history of Ej blaming others repeats itself yet again! Especially if Kristen is the one to out the scheme to Sami in her game and you know EJ will play the sympathy card as all he is doing is "trying to be more like Lexie" Didn't you know?! :sarcasm: :flipoff: PTB!
His schemes in the past were far more sinister because he was usually throwing in some vengeance.

Right now, he ain't pissed off at anyone.

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic