Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: MAB Friend Tommy is Mad as Hell!
Topic Started: Dec 21 2012, 05:19 PM (3,554 Views)
Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

I don't like JFP either, i just hate seeing MAB being written like some saint who was so gracious during her time at Y&R. She was a joke, and that "rumour" regarding Sharon Case being threatened of dismissal was confirmed by Jamey Giddens at Daytime Confidential and another insider (can't remember his name). Sharon had to suck it up and kiss some 70 year old for three months until MAB was finally let go.
Edited by Shick, Dec 22 2012, 12:48 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LPS
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Dec 22 2012, 12:14 AM
JFP gets the ball rolling when it comes to shows she EP's. AW started to decline when she was in charge there from 95 to 96 when that damn storyline about a serial killer named after a freaking FAX MACHINE played out... She resigned from AW after a year. I blame her for the horrific death of Frankie Frame which was absolutely uncalled for.

Quote:

Budget cuts caused Phelps to institute a serial killer storyline, culminating in the death of Dr Courtney Evans, as well as the gruesome murder of Frankie (Alice Barrett). The story had actually called for Donna to be offed, but massive fan protest caused Phelps to rewrite the episodes. Phelps decided to then kill off either Frankie or Paulina, and when a focus group responded lukewarm to Frankie but warmer to Paulina, Phelps gave the greenlight to axe Frankie. However, this caused another massive rampage of upset protest from loyal viewers of the show and fans of Frankie, and Phelps quickly asked then-head writer Margaret DePriest to re-write Frankie's exit so that the character would at least still live. DePriest, eager to satisfy her wish to see Cass return to his former rogue ways, vehemently refused and left Frankie's death as written.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(TV_series)

Quote:

Violence Against Female Characters

Phelps' career in daytime television has demonstrated a predilection for depicting violence against women. While Phelps served as executive producer of Santa Barbara, the character Eden Capwell Castillo, seeking treatment for infertility, was raped by her gynecologist and thus was unsure who fathered her child. During Phelps' stint at Another World, the character Frankie Frame Winthrop was brutally murdered by a stalker in what remains one of the most gratuitously gruesome portrayals of violence in daytime television history.

During Phelps' time at General Hospital, the character Dr. Patrick Drake exposed a patient and a partner to HIV after a condom broke—which he was aware had happened—while he was romantically involved with Robin Scorpio, an HIV-positive character. Previous General Hospital producers had received critical accolades and industry awards for stories involving this character and her HIV status, whereas Phelps did not. In 2011, another story line featuring the character Robin Scorpio involved her blood being used as a biological weapon by an escaped mental patient. Also during Phelps' time at General Hospital, a plot similar to the Santa Barbara fertility/ rape story line unfolded involving the character Sam Morgan, who underwent an experimental fertility procedure and who was later drugged and possibly raped on her honeymoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Farren_Phelps
I'll sort of defend JFP on the Frankie storyine. I did not watch it and know little about it, but according to Jamey from DC and JFP, herself, she was forced by the higher ups to write that storyline. However, she was responsible for killing off another character.

Why is that storyline so famous?

Quote:

I don't like JFP either, i just hate seeing MAB being written like some saint who was so gracious during her time at Y&R. She was a joke, and that "rumour" regarding Sharon Case being threatened of dismissal was confirmed by Jamey Giddens at Daytime Confidential and another insider (can't remember his name). Sharon had to suck it up and kiss some 70 year old for three months until MAB was finally let go.

Agreed! That's what annoys me about this column. The current writers suck, but them portraying Maria as the savior of Y&R is ridiculous.

kelly777
Member Avatar

Shick
Dec 22 2012, 12:47 AM
MAB was no Saint. But JFP is a dyed in the wool bitch. People on this board and others said what she was made of and by golly they were right on the mark even including firing of MR who I didn't expect. They said Sophia would go down first because she is heavy. It happened. People said she had a vendetta against GF and she would go. She did. I think she did need to go by never the less it comes down to the prediction before she stepped foot on the set. They said she would bring on all kinds of young meat and keep the shirtless (metaphor) and that has come to pass. It was said she would bring on her own brand of poison to the screen and even though I didn't care for the Tucker, I don't think it was fair to kick his ass to the curb to make room for one of her FOJ. She lied in that interview too. Everything that people said she would do, she has done. But the worst of the worst was starting her bloodbath before the Holiday's! What a bitch. That could have waited until AFTER the Holidays but noooooooooooo!! I think she is a power freak and she will take YR down with her if she keeps on this control freak train.

Personally I'm not seeing shit with the new writer either. It's still the same old shit. Different day, different hacks but the same old shit. That was the ONE thing I hated about MAB and her hacks was that regurgitated bullshit day after day after day. If they are going to keep on in the same vein I don't know why the hell they bothered canning MAB. Her writing was the problem but it this group is going to carry on in her shoes, why bother? The dialog is better. I'll give them that but the stories are still the same. And the characters still bear the same scars MAB put on them. I really had high hopes that things would improve and there was a time a few weeks ago where it looked like they might be fixing some of MAB's mistakes but I saw those spoilers and the articles about the firings along with MS Tweet and I realized that this woman is doing the very same damned thing. Pitching out the old to make way for the new. A little new is fine but the landscape has changed so much that I don't even recognize the show anymore.

Rant over!

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

This article is BS except for that Jill Farren Phelps is a liar and a bitch. Maria Arena Bell wasn't going to quit. Marcy Rylan should NOT have been rehired as Abby. She's over 10 years too old to play the role. The role should've been recast with someone around 20 years old!

natdot99
Member Avatar

Are you freaking kidding me, MAB destroyed the legacy of the Y&R along with Sony and CbS help.
Viewers were crying to end Shictor, but she did not listen to them.
Now that she gone, someone wants to sing her praises??
Well I not going to and that why I stopped watching the Y&R.

Queen B
Member Avatar

LOL this guy is so full of shit it's ridiculous.

obviously JFP and JG aren't terribly exciting but they aren't near as destructive as MAB. Bringing in their own newbies, changing up the music and getting rid of some shitty sets is expected when a new regime comes in, and frankly I think it's pretty harmless. JFP WAS spot on with the actors she fired, those characters were all shit and no one can deny that. Oh and I don't believe MR has a whole lot of talent either, I don't mind the actress but even if she was overly talented, the character still sucks and should have never beeb recast with a fucking 30 something year old. Give me a damn break

Shick
Member Avatar

JFP got rid of Harmony, Tucker, Genevieve, Heather, Daniel and Danny. All useless character's in the grand scheme of things. These people were going nowehere..

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

kelly777
Dec 22 2012, 05:46 AM
Shick
Dec 22 2012, 12:47 AM
MAB was no Saint. But JFP is a dyed in the wool bitch. People on this board and others said what she was made of and by golly they were right on the mark even including firing of MR who I didn't expect. They said Sophia would go down first because she is heavy. It happened. People said she had a vendetta against GF and she would go. She did. I think she did need to go by never the less it comes down to the prediction before she stepped foot on the set. They said she would bring on all kinds of young meat and keep the shirtless (metaphor) and that has come to pass. It was said she would bring on her own brand of poison to the screen and even though I didn't care for the Tucker, I don't think it was fair to kick his ass to the curb to make room for one of her FOJ. She lied in that interview too. Everything that people said she would do, she has done. But the worst of the worst was starting her bloodbath before the Holiday's! What a bitch. That could have waited until AFTER the Holidays but noooooooooooo!! I think she is a power freak and she will take YR down with her if she keeps on this control freak train.

Personally I'm not seeing shit with the new writer either. It's still the same old shit. Different day, different hacks but the same old shit. That was the ONE thing I hated about MAB and her hacks was that regurgitated bullshit day after day after day. If they are going to keep on in the same vein I don't know why the hell they bothered canning MAB. Her writing was the problem but it this group is going to carry on in her shoes, why bother? The dialog is better. I'll give them that but the stories are still the same. And the characters still bear the same scars MAB put on them. I really had high hopes that things would improve and there was a time a few weeks ago where it looked like they might be fixing some of MAB's mistakes but I saw those spoilers and the articles about the firings along with MS Tweet and I realized that this woman is doing the very same damned thing. Pitching out the old to make way for the new. A little new is fine but the landscape has changed so much that I don't even recognize the show anymore.

Rant over!
Posted Image

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

metitle
Dec 22 2012, 12:18 AM
Sammie Jo
Dec 21 2012, 05:49 PM
The ranch isn't being rebuilt? Then why is victor always talking about the rebuilding?
maybe it wasn't feasible to build another large set, since the ensemble is so large and they have planning to make room for all.
anyway just guessing.
I don't believe it's not being rebuilt, that ranch is so much a part of victor, I'm betting they do it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shick
Member Avatar

MAB fired Don Diamont during the holidays in 2008, did she not? Just as cruel and just as much of a bitch as JFP. And I'd look at blaming the storylines on JOSH GRIFFITH, not JFP. He's the one writing up the story boards.

SchaNich
Member Avatar

MAB friend or not he's spot on about JFP. She's no better and will likely end up being worse for Y&R.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

soapgoddess
Dec 21 2012, 11:07 PM
Shick
Dec 21 2012, 10:55 PM
MAB was a nasty bitch who had no trouble letting go of actors and apparently threatened to axe SC because of Shictor. And I call bullshit on that "Mab was going to quit soon" ... yeah, sure she was.
MAB was a bitch, but JFP is worse. Where she is it's mayhem, drama, and trouble. I'm sorely dissapointed JFP is in charge,
although MAB was a force to be reckoned with, she didn't leave a trail of soap-opera cancellations in her path. At the rate
things are going, I'd be surprised if Y & R lasts until 2014.

EDIT: Rumor has it EB wanted Shictor, but SC was uncomfortable with it. Possibly that's why she wanted to let SC
go. It wasn't right, but JFP is a bitch as well.
THANK YOU!
Jill Farren Phelps ruined General Hospital
only two years into her ten year's of destruction at that once glorious show

msbooker1976
Member Avatar

I'm pretty sure after wrting that rant, MAB probably gave him a treat and a pat on the head; but besides that y'all do know it's been over two months since the new regime has taken over, and I expect it to slow going. And considering that you're in high-profile position such as JFP, you will have do things that people are not going to like especially being a bitch. You'll be a bitch too if you're dealing with all kinds of personalities and whatnot everyday. Don't really know much about her except what I read and I've never met her, but from what I'm seeing so far on Y&R, it's not all that bad. If anything, it's work in progress

Queen B
Member Avatar

msbooker1976
Dec 26 2012, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty sure after wrting that rant, MAB probably gave him a treat and a pat on the head; but besides that y'all do know it's been over two months since the new regime has taken over, and I expect it to slow going. And considering that you're in high-profile position such as JFP, you will have do things that people are not going to like especially being a bitch. You'll be a bitch too if you're dealing with all kinds of personalities and whatnot everyday. Don't really know much about her except what I read and I've never met her, but from what I'm seeing so far on Y&R, it's not all that bad. If anything, it's work in progress
Totally agree! I'm still going to bitch about the show but it's getting much better than before.

Leisha
Member Avatar

MAB's friend Tommy must still be Mad as Hell because he has written another article attacking Y&R and he's posting the links to it on Y&R's Facebook Page. :mutley: Do most soap journalists post on Y&R's Facebook page or he he actively trying to get Y&R viewers riled up?

Posted ImageTommy Lightfoot Garrett http://www.highlighthollywood.com/2012/12/31/cbss-the-young-and-the-restless-ratings-continue-to-plummet-and-sony-stubbornly-stands-by-jill-farren-phelps-and-josh-griffith-highlight-hollywood-news/
33 minutes ago

ratfink
Member Avatar

Leisha
Dec 31 2012, 07:31 PM
MAB's friend Tommy must still be Mad as Hell because he has written another article attacking Y&R and he's posting the links to it on Y&R's Facebook Page. :mutley: Do most soap journalists post on Y&R's Facebook page or he he actively trying to get Y&R viewers riled up?

Posted ImageTommy Lightfoot Garrett http://www.highlighthollywood.com/2012/12/31/cbss-the-young-and-the-restless-ratings-continue-to-plummet-and-sony-stubbornly-stands-by-jill-farren-phelps-and-josh-griffith-highlight-hollywood-news/
33 minutes ago
That guy is weird :embarrassed: Happy New year !!!

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

msbooker1976
Dec 26 2012, 03:31 PM
ITA with you, it seems like some people want to see instant presto chang-o, it doesn't work that way, it's just like a diet, it took you years to pack the fat on, you're not going to lose it all in a few weeks.
I've been liking the majority of the changes, not thrilled they threw more than one new character at a time at us, but, that's no biggie.
I also like the directing and production.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

Leisha
Dec 31 2012, 07:31 PM

33 minutes ago
I love his lead in, Ratings continue to plummet, but sony still sticks by phelps.
Well, the ratings were plummeting with mab and look how long she stuck around.
People are so impatient.
I want to see victor get his company back, but I want to see all the drama and twists and turns leading up to it, I don't want him to just walk in and take it back without some good ole corporate espionage like the old days.

Soapwatcher

I think I saw a flub the other day, when Victor called Nick to come to the GAC, it showed a shot of Jack entering the dining area, then the next scene was him at home buying his drugs. Oh well if that's the only flub up this show makes it will be doing damm good.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

It's been how many months since MAB was let go? Honey, GET OVER IT! You aren't the first and you sure won't be the last to lose your job! Geez!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply