Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 12/24; Twitter/FB list, Contact info in first post
Topic Started: Dec 24 2012, 01:42 AM (17,146 Views)
The Scorpion
Member Avatar

It is strange that Drake should have to use twitter for support for his character John! Either way, it's the writers who are completely out of touch in terms of stories and the use of characters! It's a shame not that GH's writers where employee of NBC / Days in place since the show had probably been a lot more exciting with them on the writing board! TomSell sucks and are worthless writers! IMO
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

gailwinters
Dec 30 2012, 08:55 PM
lumifan4life
Dec 30 2012, 08:29 PM
LuvingLumi
Dec 30 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm now expecting to hear the firing announcement any minute now, I wouldn't be surprised if Dee, Drake and Bryan are gone...the three vets left after the reboot who weren't fired initially.... I'll tell you one thing though, if they are all gone, I'm done with the show... There was a time that I didn't recognize what I was trying to watch and after Bryan was fired the last time I didn't find anything about Days that reminded me of Days, so I said bye to the show and only came back fully when the vets came back.
I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 are gone too and we hear something after the holidays. I know Hope is safe cause she has story coming up next year and KC talked about her in his interview. It's no coincidence that John, Marlena, & Lucas were left out. The only mention of J&M in the 2013 previews was that they are out of the Kristen/Brady story. That's basically saying that they have no story coming up. And of course Lucas has no story coming up and no mention of him anywhere. Tomlin clearly has no use for these 3 so I can see J&M heading back to Switzerland and Lucas back to Hong Kong.
Wasn't Bryan's first day on set Dec. 8? He taped on Dec. 13, so he should be into the second year of his contract.
He's fine as of now...his 26 wk cycle now ends around the first week of June. I think he might be safe for now, and they might not send him off till the Wabi baby is born, but hope they give him something in the meantime but I'm sure they won't and Rafe will be more heavily featured in the Wabi post reveal than Lucas...

bomber
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Dec 30 2012, 09:04 PM
gailwinters
lumifan4life
LuvingLumi
I'm now expecting to hear the firing announcement any minute now, I wouldn't be surprised if Dee, Drake and Bryan are gone...the three vets left after the reboot who weren't fired initially.... I'll tell you one thing though, if they are all gone, I'm done with the show... There was a time that I didn't recognize what I was trying to watch and after Bryan was fired the last time I didn't find anything about Days that reminded me of Days, so I said bye to the show and only came back fully when the vets came back.
I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 are gone too and we hear something after the holidays. I know Hope is safe cause she has story coming up next year and KC talked about her in his interview. It's no coincidence that John, Marlena, & Lucas were left out. The only mention of J&M in the 2013 previews was that they are out of the Kristen/Brady story. That's basically saying that they have no story coming up. And of course Lucas has no story coming up and no mention of him anywhere. Tomlin clearly has no use for these 3 so I can see J&M heading back to Switzerland and Lucas back to Hong Kong.
Wasn't Bryan's first day on set Dec. 8? He taped on Dec. 13, so he should be into the second year of his contract.
He's fine as of now...his 26 wk cycle now ends around the first week of June. I think he might be safe for now, and they might not send him off till the Wabi baby is born, but hope they give him something in the meantime but I'm sure they won't and Rafe will be more heavily featured in the Wabi post reveal than Lucas...
Can't they be fired every 13 weeks?

gailwinters
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
gailwinters
lumifan4life
LuvingLumi
I'm praying that when Rafe starts giving Will grief at the wedding (and you know that's going to happen) that he says something that gives Lucas reason to punch his lights out! Please let that happen!!!!

lumifan4life

bomber
Dec 30 2012, 09:05 PM
LuvingLumi
gailwinters
lumifan4life

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
That's what I thought too. I don't know much about contracts but my understanding was that they could be fired at any time. I have no reason at all to believe BD is safe judging by the fact that he has no story currently and no story in the future. I believe they are taping March now and the 2013 spoilers were at least through the spring.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Is it the writer's fault or is it TPTB at NBC and Sony at fault here? Maybe these two entities are putting their two cents in and what you see is too many chefs in the kitchen......know what I mean? B-)
Edited by talbab1994, Dec 30 2012, 10:12 PM.

lumifan4life

bomber
Dec 30 2012, 08:36 PM
Assuming that Drake is hinting at being let go, it is highly likely that the show itself has been renewed. IMO if you were looking at wrapping up the show, you would want as many vets as possible for the finale.
That's probably true. If there is a good possibility they will be renewed and they are coincidentally "cleaning house" of some of the vets, that probably means they are confident that the current frontburner storylines are working so no need for the so called dead weight who aren't being written for.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Dec 30 2012, 09:08 PM
Is it the writer's fault of is it TPTB at NBC and Sony at fault here? Maybe these two entities are putting their two cents in and what you see is too many chefs in the kitchen......know what I mean? B-)
It's probably a bit of both, but it doesn't matter these old guys who writes now are completely out of touch with what is exciting and interesting! They do not have what it takes to write well written also as they're just too bias to believe their characters suck!

leela46
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Is it the writer's fault of is it TPTB at NBC and Sony at fault here? Maybe these two entities are putting their two cents in and what you see is too many chefs in the kitchen......know what I mean? B-)
I'm sure that the network is a big part of it but I doubt that the writers and Sony object. Look at most TV show, the featured characters are in their twenties and thirties mostly. The oldest characters are mostly in their forties. Even in the 80's and 90's, Days main storylines featured younger characters. The network probably see Drake and Deidre as aged out of what they want to write for. Isn't Matt in his fifties? TPTB probably considered him too old as well. They've never shown much interest in writing for Lucas outside of Sami's orbit. They won't get rid of all the older actors, but the ones that remain will probably be strictly supporting characters.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

lumifan4life
bomber
LuvingLumi
gailwinters

That's what I thought too. I don't know much about contracts but my understanding was that they could be fired at any time. I have no reason at all to believe BD is safe judging by the fact that he has no story currently and no story in the future. I believe they are taping March now and the 2013 spoilers were at least through the spring.
They probably could be fired at any time, but they can only be fired every 13 weeks without having to be paid for the balance of their episode guarantee. Veterans can be released every 26 weeks, and I'm pretty sure Bryan is considered a vet, so he has started on a new 26 week period and should be safe til it ends.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

lumifan4life
bomber
LuvingLumi
gailwinters

Vets get 26 wk cycles, newbies 13. Last I heard, Bry's cycle was 26 weeks. He can still be fired but the show would have to pay his cycle out regardless it wouldn't be cost effective for them to fire him but still needing to pay him.
Edited by LuvingLumi, Dec 30 2012, 10:00 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Drake should be near the beginning of a cycle, too. It really could be all about screen time...at this point. As in, they're speaking up now rather than waiting until it's too late.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

lumifan4life
bomber
LuvingLumi
gailwinters

It really doesn't matter though.. If Bry's epi guarantee is only 2 a week, then the can still do what they've been doing thus far. He'll live out the remainder of his cycle or contract and I hope we get a new writing team before his contract expires next year

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 30 2012, 10:05 PM
Drake should be near the beginning of a cycle, too. It really could be all about screen time...at this point. As in, they're speaking up now rather than waiting until it's too late.
I sincerely hope you're right. I am tired of this show treating it's vets like shit. If your writer doesn't want to or doesn't know how to write for the vets than fire the damn writer. The vets are the fabric of your show, you let them go, the show comes apart. Proof's in the ratings. And I do NOT want Marlena without John. We already have Hope, Jen and Kayla without their husbands. Jen has been ruined and Kayla & Hope are backburned or used as props. The execs at NBC need to realize that the majority of their viewers are long-term viewers that grew up watching Bo & Hope, John & Marlena, Jack & Jen etc., so they're not helping the show by getting rid of the characters that fans have grown up with. Damn the demographics. If they're looking for dead weight to get rid of, Roman and Daniel should be the first to go since neither is liked or needed.
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Dec 30 2012, 11:02 PM.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

LanaluvsBroe
Dec 30 2012, 11:00 PM
lysie
I sincerely hope you're right. I am tired of this show treating it's vets like shit. If your writer doesn't want to or doesn't know how to write for the vets than fire the damn writer. The vets are the fabric of your show, you let them go, the show comes apart. Proof's in the ratings. And I do NOT want Marlena without John. We already have Hope, Jen and Kayla without their husbands. Jen has been ruined and Kayla & Hope are backburned or used as props. The execs at NBC need to realize that the majority of their viewers are long-term viewers that grew up watching Bo & Hope, John & Marlena, Jack & Jen etc., so they're not helping the show by getting rid of the characters that fans have grown up with. Damn the demographics.
The best thing about the argument that these networks want to target and grab a younger crowd is that they are pretty much focusing mainly on the 35-45 crowd with the focus on Ej, Sami, Rafe, Nicole, Dan and Jen most of the time not the younger crowd at all if you ask me. The only OTHER story getting enough airtime now that DOES feature a younger crowd is Wabi's story, but let's face it that is the 20s crowd, there is NO TEEN SET on this show....you'd think if the network was truly serious they'd at least try to get a teen scene going for the summer of 2013, which pretty much you'd have to go and start now developing the characters....the easiest way to do it is to SORAS the kids now....make Theo, Ciara, Johnny, Allie and Syd be in that 13-18 age group...Theo and Ciara can be around 16, while Johnny and Allie are 14 and Syd is 12 or something like that, maybe add JJ and Joe to that mix have them be around 12/13 ....it's time for a major shake up on Days....and an entire new teen set to come on....Although not fond of the teen scene myself I truly don't think I would have been attached this much to Days if something didn't attract me when I was a teen and it was mainly the teen storylines that did it to me at the time.

Frankly I don't remember a time that there was such a lack of a teen scene on Days

In the 90s there was Lucas, Sami, Carrie, Jaime, Austin
In the 2000s there was Belle, Shawn, Chloe, Philip, Mimi, etc
It appears that an attempt was made in 2009/2010 to have something set up with Chad, Will, Mia, etc...but that was more to further story with the baby switch than anything else....

lysie
Member Avatar

If it's just a screen time thing, though, that means that they're concerned about what happens when their contracts are actually up. That's why they want support NOW.

BJ Deveraux
Member Avatar

LanaluvsBroe
lysie
I sincerely hope you're right. I am tired of this show treating it's vets like shit. If your writer doesn't want to or doesn't know how to write for the vets than fire the damn writer. The vets are the fabric of your show, you let them go, the show comes apart. Proof's in the ratings. And I do NOT want Marlena without John. We already have Hope, Jen and Kayla without their husbands. Jen has been ruined and Kayla & Hope are backburned or used as props. The execs at NBC need to realize that the majority of their viewers are long-term viewers that grew up watching Bo & Hope, John & Marlena, Jack & Jen etc., so they're not helping the show by getting rid of the characters that fans have grown up with. Damn the demographics. If they're looking for dead weight to get rid of, Roman and Daniel should be the first to go since neither is liked or needed.
ITA! We grew up watching the supercouples and if we take the time to tune in (DVR, whatever) in 2012 that's what we want to see.

lumifan4life

LuvingLumi
Dec 30 2012, 11:11 PM
LanaluvsBroe
lysie
I sincerely hope you're right. I am tired of this show treating it's vets like shit. If your writer doesn't want to or doesn't know how to write for the vets than fire the damn writer. The vets are the fabric of your show, you let them go, the show comes apart. Proof's in the ratings. And I do NOT want Marlena without John. We already have Hope, Jen and Kayla without their husbands. Jen has been ruined and Kayla & Hope are backburned or used as props. The execs at NBC need to realize that the majority of their viewers are long-term viewers that grew up watching Bo & Hope, John & Marlena, Jack & Jen etc., so they're not helping the show by getting rid of the characters that fans have grown up with. Damn the demographics.
The best thing about the argument that these networks want to target and grab a younger crowd is that they are pretty much focusing mainly on the 35-45 crowd with the focus on Ej, Sami, Rafe, Nicole, Dan and Jen most of the time not the younger crowd at all if you ask me. The only OTHER story getting enough airtime now that DOES feature a younger crowd is Wabi's story, but let's face it that is the 20s crowd, there is NO TEEN SET on this show....you'd think if the network was truly serious they'd at least try to get a teen scene going for the summer of 2013, which pretty much you'd have to go and start now developing the characters....the easiest way to do it is to SORAS the kids now....make Theo, Ciara, Johnny, Allie and Syd be in that 13-18 age group...Theo and Ciara can be around 16, while Johnny and Allie are 14 and Syd is 12 or something like that, maybe add JJ and Joe to that mix have them be around 12/13 ....it's time for a major shake up on Days....and an entire new teen set to come on....Although not fond of the teen scene myself I truly don't think I would have been attached this much to Days if something didn't attract me when I was a teen and it was mainly the teen storylines that did it to me at the time.

Frankly I don't remember a time that there was such a lack of a teen scene on Days

In the 90s there was Lucas, Sami, Carrie, Jaime, Austin
In the 2000s there was Belle, Shawn, Chloe, Philip, Mimi, etc
It appears that an attempt was made in 2009/2010 to have something set up with Chad, Will, Mia, etc...but that was more to further story with the baby switch than anything else....
I actually think Will/Sonny/Gabi/Chad/Abby fit perfectly fine in the younger croud/teen scene. Will and Gabi could at the most be 19/20 while Sonny, Chad and Abby are slightly older and of course if you add Nick he's probably mid 20s. But I don't see that as much of a big difference from the teen set of the past. Will and Gabi were recently portrayed in storyline while they were teenagers in high school so you could say the teen scene has just continued into the college/workforce stage. Just like in the 90s, Carrie and Austin weren't exactly teens when Lumi joined their circle but they were still young enough to be in story with Lucas and Sami who were teenagers. Then all 4 continued to be in story into their 20s as well. Same can be said for the 2000s set. But I do think it might be time to soras the little ones. That many little kids under the age of 10 is unnecessary. We could use a few 15/16 year olds especially if JJ is coming back to town.
Edited by lumifan4life, Dec 30 2012, 11:37 PM.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

There is no way they can realistically Soras Johnny or Allie without sorasing Will. It just wouldn't work.

leela46
Member Avatar

LanaluvsBroe
Dec 31 2012, 01:07 AM
There is no way they can realistically Soras Johnny or Allie without sorasing Will. It just wouldn't work.
Oh, I don't know. Will was born before EJ and now EJ is old enough to be Will's father. It's hard to take any of the SORASing seriously. So aging Johnny or Allie wouldn't bother me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply