Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC retires message boards
Topic Started: Dec 27 2012, 10:26 AM (5,599 Views)
chazbone

I'm sure many of you have seen or heard that the NBC message boards have been down since last Fall when their website was hacked. I am (was) a moderator on one of their other boards and found out yesterday that they are officially "retiring" them. My opinion is that they didn't like the negative opinions expressed and decided to just avoid that by not restoring them. "Days" is a perfect example. The opinions expressed here were mirrored on the "Days" boards on NBC, although there was much more censoring over there. Anyway, just wanted to say that here is proof that NBC does not care about the opinions of their viewers and will proceed on their merry way... :moon:
Edited by chazbone, Dec 27 2012, 11:24 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

Lol. Interesting! It's been obvious for a while that the don't care what anyone thinks. Example: Dannifer

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

Message boards in general are dying though. This board is one of the few Days boards that remains active. As someone who has ran soap forums, my personal opinion is that Twitter has taken over. Actors used to interact with fans through boards, now they don't have to. They have Twitter. The show gets plenty of feedback on Twitter - and the official Days boards have been pretty dead if you ask me. Maybe they didn't think they were worth it anymore?

Not that I think this show pays much attention to feedback mind you... but I don't think this decision is some kind of act of evil against fans.
Edited by NocturnalBlondie, Dec 27 2012, 10:35 AM.

KathyB16
Member Avatar

I have to agree. NBC didn't really care.

I got my notice Christmas evening. What a great present.

I really miss the people there. We had great topics.

if no one has figured it out, I was "mouse" there. I'm posting at
Sony now. I don't like the format though.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

chazbone
Dec 27 2012, 10:26 AM
I'm sure many of you have seen or heard that the NBC message boards have been down since last Fall when their website was hacked. I am (was) a moderator on one of their other boards and found out yesterday that they are officially "retiring" them. My opinion is that they didn't like the negative opinions expressed and decided to just avoid that by not restoring them. "Days" is a perfect example. The opinions expressed here were mirrored on the "Days" boards on NBC, although there was much more censoring over there. Anyway, just wanted to say that here is proof that NBC does not care about the opinions of their viewers and will proceed on their merry way... :moon:
Thanks. I agree that NBC doesn't care about what we as fans think and are obviously writing what THEY want anyway. Too bad-I used to enjoy posting over there.

esp13
Member Avatar

I despised the NBC Days message board. It was the only one that was worse than Sony (back when Sony actually had any activity). So I can't say I much care that they have gone away.

I agree that Twitter, and maybe Facebook, have taken over for the message boards as far as the show is concerned. They get the feedback they want (and probably some that they don't) immediately. Plus because twitter is limited, they don't have to read well-written posts that make valid points. They can stick to "We love this" or "We hate that."

I don't believe that TPTB don't care what the fans think. I do believe that they think they can win over fans even in the face of negative reactions now. Listening to fans is always a double-edged sword. If you listened to fans about everything, nobody would have have any conflict about anything ever. People would always be happy, truthful, trusting, and perfect. And the show would suck even worse.

michr544125

This may be because there are too many other boards. It seems many fans flock to a board like this where they can pretty much speak their mind without being censored. They censor on official sites and they probably don't want to wast their time having to monitor their own site. While, I do think twitter and facebook have taken over feedback for most shows, I think they probably just find it easier to monitor board such at this. Plus this board is much more organized.

But like you all just mentioned it probably doesn't matter what the majority of fans think any way. They don't seem to listen. After all Dannifer, Sami and her constant back and forth between Rafe and EJ, and Gabi are the center of this show.
Edited by michr544125, Dec 27 2012, 10:45 AM.

daysfan92

It is not about the fact they do not care about us fans...it is about the fact that no matter what they do everyone complains about everything..every story line and every couple. There is hardly ever anthing postive on any of the sites. I have been a fan of Days for over 26 yrs and until this year never went to any of the spoliers or comments boards. It is very depressing as a fan to see all of the negative stuff all of the time. They are not going to be able to make everyone happy all of the time. I do not like all of the storylines all of the time but I am still a loyal fan. I love Days of our Lives and will continue to love it no matter what. Why would they want to listen or see nothing but the bad stuff. We do not see good comments posted very much because the negative people will attack the comment and the person making it. It has become personal and it should not be personal it should be about enjoying a show with other people who enjoy the show. I go to the facebook pages and it is just so much Negative stuff it is depressing. I just love the show and Salem has become part of my life and the Brady, Hortons and all the others are a part of my family. I want it to continue...will I like everything they do no but they have drama and that is what the show is about.

chazbone

I don't think that NBC retired the boards BECAUSE they didn't like the negative feedback, but I do believe that it played a part in their decision... I do know that the main board that I moderated was VERY ACTIVE, especially on show night. I miss the discussions we had with a core group of viewers (@20-25) and many others chiming in with their opinions. I miss it... I say it further proves their opinion of viewers because NBC was not really involved all that much. It was mainly the administators and moderators running the show, with guidelines that NBC provided us with. And BTW, KathyB16, I figured out PRETTY QUICKLY that you were Mouse, it wasn't difficult ;)

dc cubs
Member Avatar

daysfan92
Dec 27 2012, 10:54 AM
It is not about the fact they do not care about us fans...it is about the fact that no matter what they do everyone complains about everything..every story line and every couple. There is hardly ever anthing postive on any of the sites. I have been a fan of Days for over 26 yrs and until this year never went to any of the spoliers or comments boards. It is very depressing as a fan to see all of the negative stuff all of the time. They are not going to be able to make everyone happy all of the time. I do not like all of the storylines all of the time but I am still a loyal fan. I love Days of our Lives and will continue to love it no matter what. Why would they want to listen or see nothing but the bad stuff. We do not see good comments posted very much because the negative people will attack the comment and the person making it. It has become personal and it should not be personal it should be about enjoying a show with other people who enjoy the show. I go to the facebook pages and it is just so much Negative stuff it is depressing. I just love the show and Salem has become part of my life and the Brady, Hortons and all the others are a part of my family. I want it to continue...will I like everything they do no but they have drama and that is what the show is about.
You are right that most of the comments about the show are negative. I used to feel the same way and it was depressing as a long time loyal fan to read some of the nastiness posted on message boards. I used to try and post some positive things about the show.

I was like you in thinking that I would forever remain a fan of the show and would always be loyal. However, there comes a time for some fans like myself where you reach a point where the negative far outweighs the positive and that is all you seem to post about. When that happened for me I knew that it was time to stop watching the show. I no longer enjoyed it and couldn't find much positive to say about it. After 28 years I was done but I still manage to get in some negative Dannifer posts because that is one of the things that ticked me off most about this show.

I don't know how to answer the question of how the show should listen to feedback from fans. It is a tricky one. Everyone wants different things and you can't please all the fans. Yes, there needs to be conflict for couples. I always understood that fact. However, there is some good constructive criticism out there that should be heard by Days.

I still check in here to see what is going on with the show. I do hope Days continues for those fans that still enjoy it and for the actors on the show to still have a job.

reagon

I think its just a sign of the times. Negativity seems to permeate everything online these days. And we've all fallen into that mold to an extent.

There was a time when you could have a real discussion on the boards without rampant bias coming into play. That doesn't exist much anymore. And the Sony board is so overly moderated, you can't say anything that isn't at all positive.

annie21

Interesting, TFP.

While I agree that the show can't listen to every single viewpoint, they should be looking for a preponderance of views -- identify trends, patterns, etc. -- from a variety of sources, including Twitter, FB, message boards, cards and letters, the 800-number feedback line, their own surveys, and so on. They should be trying to figure out why so many are turning away from the show, especially in their key demographics, so they should try to elicit views not only from current viewers, but also from lapsed viewers.

Let's face it, people are more likely to take the trouble to post or tweet if they're dissatisfied. And from what I've seen on the FB page and in tweets, at least some people have an agenda and are keeping up a drumbeat over and over (e.g., more airtime for their favorite character). But if someone is paying even the slightest bit of attention, they can pick up on these things and filter through the negativity.

Meanwhile, I see the posts on the GH-related message boards and the tweets, and I'm envious of their general positive mood. While there are still some complaints in the mix, the overall trend is now much more positively inclined. You can feel the excitement and energy and goodwill in so many of these postings. So, at the very least, the GH show's writers and producers are showing they can turn the tide if they care enough to do so.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Thanks to Reese for the Avi♥

I use to actively post in their forum until it became less enjoyable to do so because I was always challenged as to the pairings/characters I preferred. Pretty much the posting culture at NBC was what stopped me from posting there....I didn't enjoy it so I stopped posting.....funny how that is what occurred at the Sony board too.....but that really was affected more by the hacking than anything else, but Sony had some stupid rules (pro and anti threads) and some really bad moderators that made everything really difficult . Now the place is dead, DEAD....and it's probably going to be the next casualty. NBC had been dead for sometime too.

desertgal

daysfan92
Dec 27 2012, 10:54 AM
This is a really well written post. You really hit the nail on the head.

OliveAnn

I don't think it's a sign that NBC/TPTB don't care. The CW shut down their message boards last year and switched all social-media activities to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. Message boards are great places for discussing and debating, but networks don't care about discussions and debates. They want to hear concrete opinions ("I like this", "I despise that") and other social media are better for such purposes.

annie21

reagon
Dec 27 2012, 11:43 AM
I think its just a sign of the times. Negativity seems to permeate everything online these days. And we've all fallen into that mold to an extent.

There was a time when you could have a real discussion on the boards without rampant bias coming into play. That doesn't exist much anymore. And the Sony board is so overly moderated, you can't say anything that isn't at all positive.
While I agree with the general point, in the specific case of Days of Our Lives, it's hard to deny that they've given us reasons to go negative.

I had no intention of being negative about the show when I came back to it for last year's reboot. I believed Meng and was looking forward to them delivering on what they promised. For a few weeks, I was actually able to watch entire episodes and look forward to the next show. But by November, there was a shift. And by January, it was clear they were not going to deliver on those promises. It just continued downhill from there. And when they decided to bring back most of the same people who'd been there before the reboot, well...

My point is that this show is giving too many reasons for people to be negative. Meanwhile, it's not giving any indication that it's even trying to address some fundamental flaws.

Also, I still maintain that the show itself created fanbase wars, and it continues to fan the flames of fanbase wars in the mistaken belief that this will generate "good buzz" and keep people tuned in.

Edited by annie21, Dec 27 2012, 12:17 PM.

wkline
Member Avatar

MissLola
Dec 27 2012, 10:32 AM
Lol. Interesting! It's been obvious for a while that the don't care what anyone thinks. Example: Dannifer
LOL that's a great example

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I've always tended to stay away from ANY of the official show or network boards because they always seem to be the primary focus destination of any varied group of crazies who never managed to fail to push my button to make me want to openly call them psychotic idiots. Likewise, with so many crazies, the mods would crack down to curtail them and would often scoop up strongly opinionated, yet rational, sane posters in the process,eventually driving away the actual good ones. They've always been a hot mess of crazy on the whole, though.

Ana75
Member Avatar

I got the e-mail about this and it went right to my spam folder. Found it to be quite funny. LOL

reagon

annie21
Dec 27 2012, 12:16 PM
reagon
Dec 27 2012, 11:43 AM

While I agree with the general point, in the specific case of Days of Our Lives, it's hard to deny that they've given us reasons to go negative.

I had no intention of being negative about the show when I came back to it for last year's reboot. I believed Meng and was looking forward to them delivering on what they promised. For a few weeks, I was actually able to watch entire episodes and look forward to the next show. But by November, there was a shift. And by January, it was clear they were not going to deliver on those promises. It just continued downhill from there. And when they decided to bring back most of the same people who'd been there before the reboot, well...

My point is that this show is giving too many reasons for people to be negative. Meanwhile, it's not giving any indication that it's even trying to address some fundamental flaws.

Also, I still maintain that the show itself created fanbase wars, and it continues to fan the flames of fanbase wars in the mistaken belief that this will generate "good buzz" and keep people tuned in.

I have yet to see any "buzz" translate to anything meaningful. I would discount a lot of online feedback because its all about shipping couples now and characters. I used to goto the L&O: SVU board until it became all about shipping Stabler and Benson and some other lessor couples that were not couples and I doubt most people watched SVU for a specific couple. Twiitter and facebook are the same.

The fact is that TV shows need to use a variety of feedback channels to gauge interest but I'd say the most important are the numbers they get from the network showing who is tuning in and out at 5 minute increments of a show. That to me says more about what the audience is interested in. And while Dannifer seems to be disliked here, there has to be something somewhere that NBC and Days is receiving saying that the audience is interested. What it is, I have no clue. I don't like them and they don't interest me but they must interest someone.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply