Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: January Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 31 2012, 10:53 PM (9,232 Views)
Checkers
Member Avatar

LPS
Jan 13 2013, 10:37 PM
I think the current writers are better than MAB, but nothing to brag home about.

This is how I feel. Characterization is better. Less crazy.

Though I feel this writing teams tells us more than shows us. As boring as YR is right now, I'm amazed at how much is not shown. Then what they do focus on is repetitive.

Ex: the cupcakes, Sharon/Adam saying a million goodbyes, Chelsea asking to leave, same old weakly written business scenes.

This show lacks romance. I know there are a lot of couples going but there is no warmth to the scenes. All very generic. Besides Villy's Jamaica themed scenes nothing is really unique.

They need to reopen the Colonnade room.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

Checkers
Jan 14 2013, 12:00 AM
LPS
Jan 13 2013, 10:37 PM
I think the current writers are better than MAB, but nothing to brag home about.

This is how I feel. Characterization is better. Less crazy.

Though I feel this writing teams tells us more than shows us. As boring as YR is right now, I'm amazed at how much is not shown. Then what they do focus on is repetitive.

Ex: the cupcakes, Sharon/Adam saying a million goodbyes, Chelsea asking to leave, same old weakly written business scenes.

This show lacks romance. I know there are a lot of couples going but there is no warmth to the scenes. All very generic. Besides Villy's Jamaica themed scenes nothing is really unique.

They need to reopen the Colonnade room.
I miss the Colonade room, it was soooo elegant.

Quote:

I think the current writers are better than MAB, but nothing to brag home about

At least they aren't worse, we have that to be thankful for. lol
Edited by Sammie Jo, Jan 14 2013, 12:16 AM.

Checkers
Member Avatar

The colonnade room was the best. That was The Young and the Restless. This show is suppose to revolve around rich people living in a relatively small city in Wisconsin. You wouldn't know by watching the show.

The Abbott's are old WASP money and so is Mrs. Chancellor they should not be slummin.

No way should Victoria be living in that ugly house. The only reason she lived in the tack house was because of Cole. Nick shouldn't have that fugly nightclub.

The Winters need to be integrated more. Somebody needs to throw an extravagant party and the characters need to be dressed to the nines.
Hair & dresses need to be on point.

HotPepper
Member Avatar

I agree. When the show was good there was love, romance, corp. intrigue. Not many murders and no silly stories that were supposed to make you laugh. They showed the elegant and their high fashion of living, Dressed to the hilt everyday like Katherine still dresses. No one had messy looking hair or dressed sloppy. If you wanted to romance your present partner or lover then you were wined and dined in a private room. You danced with your lover and showed the love between you. You never went to a place like Gloworm where there are a lot of customers in a bright lit room. It just wasn't done that way. There is nothing romantic about that.
The corp. wars were good. The companies that were lost were lost by stupidity like Jack having Jabot go public and not some wacko like Sharon being able to bring a company to it's knees.

Yes the show has changed over the years and not for the good. The stories were interesting and you never wanted to miss the show. Today many have even stopped watching the show because now the show is filled with silliness like Chloe stealing the money from Noah. No way would the old writers have written silly crap like that. No way. The show will never be the same because writers of today think they have to bring in a new character every week and no one gets invested in them or gives a crap what they do on the show. So all in all this is one reason that soaps will soon be history. The writers ruined the show and the viewers gave up waiting for a good story they know they will never get.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

If I could give you a dozen likes, I would!
Right on point!
Another thing they had was legal and medical fact checkers, the sharon Hawaii trial would have never happened, Victor would have never had a heart transplant and 2 weeks later jumped out of a plane and gotten shocked standing in water and lived to tell about it, nor would he have been "cured" of epilepsy.
The list of ridiculous plots is never ending, and it would be so simple for them to check things out on the net, but they don't.
Edited by Sammie Jo, Jan 14 2013, 10:55 AM.

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

Two weeks into the new year and I'm already fed up with the Adam show. Sad part is, there is much more to come :puke: The show is snoozeville.

Checkers
Member Avatar

Hope's son is eating the show up.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

3WishGenie
Jan 14 2013, 07:48 PM
Two weeks into the new year and I'm already fed up with the Adam show. Sad part is, there is much more to come :puke: The show is snoozeville.
I don't think it's a snooze, we have the whole Victor, NE, Jack, dead hooker caper going on, Avery's ex coming back to probably gum up the works for her & Nick, the possibility that Nick's new club might burn down, what with all the electrical probs, a wedding in Feb, noah and the dirty cop, chloe and goofy and the bag of money, etc etc
Edited by Sammie Jo, Jan 15 2013, 12:18 AM.

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

Sammie Jo
Jan 15 2013, 12:17 AM
3WishGenie
Jan 14 2013, 07:48 PM
I don't think it's a snooze, we have the whole Victor, NE, Jack, dead hooker caper going on, Avery's ex coming back to probably gum up the works for her & Nick, the possibility that Nick's new club might burn down, what with all the electrical probs, a wedding in Feb, noah and the dirty cop, chloe and goofy and the bag of money, etc etc
Except none of those are compelling in any way. There are so many holes in all those s/ls its crazy. The only story grabbing my attn is the bullying one. :shrug:

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Some days it is downright difficult to sit through an hour of Young and the Restless. I feel like I could be enjoying something far more entertaining -- watching a King of the Hill marathon on Adult Swim on OnDemand, taking my car in for an oil change, clipping my fingernails, etc.

Listen, I have NEVER been a champion of the 30-minute soap opera format. I'm greedy. I want as much time with the last couple of soaps I have left. If I could have Santa Barbara, Guiding Light and As the World Turns back, I would just eat them up .... BUT I seriously think cutting this show back to just 30 minutes would only do it good.

And possibly ensure that it has several more years left.

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

Renegade_Killerbee
Jan 15 2013, 12:04 PM
Some days it is downright difficult to sit through an hour of Young and the Restless. I feel like I could be enjoying something far more entertaining -- watching a King of the Hill marathon on Adult Swim on OnDemand, taking my car in for an oil change, clipping my fingernails, etc.

Listen, I have NEVER been a champion of the 30-minute soap opera format. I'm greedy. I want as much time with the last couple of soaps I have left. If I could have Santa Barbara, Guiding Light and As the World Turns back, I would just eat them up .... BUT I seriously think cutting this show back to just 30 minutes would only do it good.

Sometimes I wonder how Y&R is still #1 when the 3 shows below it are far more exciting to watch. Even the lowly DOOL has me tuning in again.

Checkers
Member Avatar

3WishGenie
Jan 15 2013, 01:11 PM
Renegade_Killerbee

Sometimes I wonder how Y&R is still #1 when the 3 shows below it are far more exciting to watch. Even the lowly DOOL has me tuning in again.
I know people say it's the time slot but for me it was always the consistency. Y&R has definitely lost that the last 7 or 8 years.

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

The show has improved. But, Adam needs to be backburned. He's an airhog. Others should have more airtime with interesting storylines.

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

And what the hell happened to the GCPD?? Should they not be breathing down everyone's neck trying to find Stephanie's killer? That would at least light some fire under these ppl's butts. I know law enforcement on this show is a joke but you still need it to put pressure to the characters.

Or if she isn't dead, perhaps we can see Adam paying her a visit or talking to her on the phone...

Checkers
Member Avatar

I was gonna ask who Stephanie was and then I realized she is the dead hooker. The daughter of the politician.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Checkers
Jan 15 2013, 01:13 PM
3WishGenie
Jan 15 2013, 01:11 PM
Renegade_Killerbee

I know people say it's the time slot but for me it was always the consistency. Y&R has definitely lost that the last 7 or 8 years.
Agreed.

I think the show captured a vast majority of the soap audience with SUPERIOR soap telling from around 1988 to 1992 and it has really been riding on that momentum for the past twenty years.

Resting on it's laurels, so to speak. Only the past five or six years, when the show has been certifiably HORRENDOUS -- seriously, it won Soap Opera Digest's Worst Show of the Year trophy two years in a row -- that we are able to see that it does not deserve that Nielsen rank and that it's a pity to watch.

Then when you have General Hospital, which is cranking and churning out one excellent storyline after another and you can compare the two, well Young and Restless is simply a sight for sore eyes.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

3WishGenie
Jan 15 2013, 01:37 PM
And what the hell happened to the GCPD?? Should they not be breathing down everyone's neck trying to find Stephanie's killer? That would at least light some fire under these ppl's butts. I know law enforcement on this show is a joke but you still need it to put pressure to the characters.

Or if she isn't dead, perhaps we can see Adam paying her a visit or talking to her on the phone...
Quote:

Yanno, that wouldn't have surprised me in the least, if they hadn't found her body.
I like your version better! lol

Checkers
Member Avatar

I loved Y&R in the 90s. In 1993 that was Y&R's highest ratings year. Victor's "death" and return was huge for the show ratings wise. I loved the prime time episodes. I found the show very compelling though there were times it was slow. Y&R kept it's identity. The show lost it's way with Smith and then LML, imo.

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

Sammie Jo
Jan 15 2013, 02:56 PM
3WishGenie
Jan 15 2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Yanno, that wouldn't have surprised me in the least, if they hadn't found her body.
I like your version better! lol
I keep thinking that perhaps that isn't her body LOL. Its a fake. But who am I kidding, Y&R is not creative in the least. Their current idea of cops is Alex going back and forth btwn Chlovin and Nadriana harassing them about a bag of money... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: big whoop.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

They missed a great opportunity there, Adam could have stashed her at his cottage or sent her off to a rehab spa somewhere, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, we kill her and dump her.
Jack really wasn't responsible, but he's going to play hell proving it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply