Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (10,049 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

http://tvline.com/2013/01/06/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled/

Quote:

It appears the sands will continue to flow through the hourglass for the foreseeable future.

Addressing the fate of its only daytime soap, NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt expressed confidence that Days of Our Lives would remain on the air beyond its current contract cycle, which expires in September.

ďI think Days is going to stick around,Ē Greenblatt told reporters Sunday at the Television Critics Associationís winter press tour in Pasadena. ďI donít know that Iím at liberty to say that officially yet, but itís not going anywhere.Ē

Days currently ranks last in the ratings among the four remaining soaps, averaging 2.3 million viewers. It recently tied an all-time in women 18-49 (0.7).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

Yay! Go Days!

lysie
Member Avatar

I feel like the headline should be: Days Most Likely Not Cancelled.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

So excited that I get to continue seeing Marlena/John/Kristen/Brady on my screen (in theory) for the foreseeable future!

michr544125

That's strangely worded. "I think". But I hope it's true and they are just waiting to give official word.
Edited by michr544125, Jan 6 2013, 02:59 PM.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

No matter how much I hate Days sometimes, I can't help but love it as an entity. I may complain about it and hate the majority of storylines, but the day they announce it is cancelled, I am sure that I will be a mess!

Will&Sonny

I'm not surprised, since I never expected it to be cancelled, but it's always nice to have confirmation...even if this can barely be called "confirmation".

It sounds like a more official statement might be coming soon, though.

lysie
Member Avatar

I hope this means Corday will be able to bring in new headwriters. And if he does, I hope he keeps the scriptwriters.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 02:59 PM
I hope this means Corday will be able to bring in new headwriters. And if he does, I hope he keeps the scriptwriters.
Are you sure you want that?

We had headwriters that appreciated the history of the show with a horrible sense of pacing - and were replaced with Tomsell, who wouldn't know the history of Salem's denizens if their lives depended on it.

I'll take reasonably compelling, plot-driven stories with excellent scripts for now. Let's ride this horse as long as we can.

We all know that Corday is going to freak out momentarily when Days stays in 4th place and replace Tomsell with a cigar-smoking monkey.

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
I don't know how to feel about that. It seems like everytime we wish for new screenwriters, we end up regretting it one way or another. People hated JER and we got Hogan. People hated him and we got Dena (way worse). People hated her and we got MarDar (differently bad). People hated MarDar and we got TomSell (differently bad). I don't love TomSell by any means, but their brand of bad is far more tolerable to me than previous regimes.

If I had even a tiny bit of hope that we'd get somebody that was actually better, not just differently bad, I'd be all for it. But my bigger fear is that we'd get somebody who's particular brand of bad was even worse.

salempc
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
Jan 6 2013, 03:10 PM
lysie

We had headwriters that appreciated the history of the show with a horrible sense of pacing - and were replaced with Tomsell, who wouldn't know the history of Salem's denizens if their lives depended on it.

I'll take reasonably compelling, plot-driven stories with excellent scripts for now. Let's ride this horse as long as we can.

We all know that Corday is going to freak out momentarily when Days stays in 4th place and replace Tomsell with a cigar-smoking monkey.
A cigar-smoking monkey would do a better job than Tomlin.

lumifan4life

salempc
Jan 6 2013, 03:12 PM
nickyj12345
Jan 6 2013, 03:10 PM
lysie

A cigar-smoking monkey would do a better job than Tomlin.
And as a fan of characters I never get to see because of TomSell's unbelievably ridiculous bias and favoritism, I hope for new writers too.

am103
Member Avatar

Yay for Days (probably) not getting cancelled! I think I would be devastated if Days went off the air, especially now that we finally have Eileen Davidson back. I don't want to give her back to Y&R, lol.

I would keep the script-writers. I think they do a fantastic job.

As for a head writer, I wouldn't mind another change. We really need someone in there who really knows what they're doing. My biggest complaint with TomSell is the lack of a rooting interest. Corday always tells us that the rooting interest is there, but I don't think he's watching the same show we are. This much is clear in the EJ/Sami/Rafe triangle. It's not necessarily the stories I can't stand, it's the lack of rootable characters.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Every head writer or producer has a bias towards certain characters or actors based on the stories they want to tell. People only have a problem with it if it's not in the favor of the characters they want or have their own bias and favoritism for.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
lysie
I don't know how to feel about that. It seems like everytime we wish for new screenwriters, we end up regretting it one way or another. People hated JER and we got Hogan. People hated him and we got Dena (way worse). People hated her and we got MarDar (differently bad). People hated MarDar and we got TomSell (differently bad). I don't love TomSell by any means, but their brand of bad is far more tolerable to me than previous regimes.

If I had even a tiny bit of hope that we'd get somebody that was actually better, not just differently bad, I'd be all for it. But my bigger fear is that we'd get somebody who's particular brand of bad was even worse.
With legitimate change comes hope. TomSell wasn't a legitimate change, so there was no hope there. But someone actually different could at least make me hopeful again.

ShaneDOOLFan

I say Lorraine Brodderick would be a good choice, keep Tomlin and Whitsell as writers. they know the history of the show.

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 03:25 PM
esp13
lysie

With legitimate change comes hope. TomSell wasn't a legitimate change, so there was no hope there. But someone actually different could at least make me hopeful again.
That's a fair point, I suppose. But, what constitutes legitimate change? Somebody truly new, or just another recycled failure? That's my fear. I guess, at this point anyway, I'm in the devil you know category. A month from now, I might not feel the same way.

leela46
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 6 2013, 03:23 PM
Every head writer or producer has a bias towards certain characters or actors based on the stories they want to tell. People only have a problem with it if it's not in the favor of the characters they want or have their own bias and favoritism for.
Thank you. I don't know why people think that Tomsell are something unusual. All writers have their favorite characters they like to write for. Also no matter who the HW is, the producers and network are going to want to focus on younger characters. I don't like Dannifer but I do find the show a lot more watchable now than it was under Higley or MarDar.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

This is good to hear, considering that they can't make any "official" statement that Days is sticking around until (I heard) March.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 6 2013, 03:35 PM
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 03:25 PM
esp13
lysie

That's a fair point, I suppose. But, what constitutes legitimate change? Somebody truly new, or just another recycled failure? That's my fear. I guess, at this point anyway, I'm in the devil you know category. A month from now, I might not feel the same way.
Well, the only true recycled failure they could bring back would be MarDar. So no, I wouldn't consider that legitimate change, lol.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply