Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (9,910 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 03:47 PM
esp13
Jan 6 2013, 03:35 PM
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 03:25 PM
esp13
Jan 6 2013, 03:12 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
With legitimate change comes hope. TomSell wasn't a legitimate change, so there was no hope there. But someone actually different could at least make me hopeful again.
That's a fair point, I suppose. But, what constitutes legitimate change? Somebody truly new, or just another recycled failure? That's my fear. I guess, at this point anyway, I'm in the devil you know category. A month from now, I might not feel the same way.
Well, the only true recycled failure they could bring back would be MarDar. So no, I wouldn't consider that legitimate change, lol.
Or Dena. Or Hogan. Or anybody from between JER's two runs. And, just as importantly, MarDar weren't recycled failures when they were hired and they didn't work at all.

I understand the desire for better. I even understand the desire to hope for better. I think I'm just too gunshy at this point. But, like I said, that may change in a month.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 6 2013, 03:50 PM
lysie
esp13
lysie

That's a fair point, I suppose. But, what constitutes legitimate change? Somebody truly new, or just another recycled failure? That's my fear. I guess, at this point anyway, I'm in the devil you know category. A month from now, I might not feel the same way.
Well, the only true recycled failure they could bring back would be MarDar. So no, I wouldn't consider that legitimate change, lol.
Or Dena. Or Hogan. Or anybody from between JER's two runs. And, just as importantly, MarDar weren't recycled failures when they were hired and they didn't work at all.

I understand the desire for better. I even understand the desire to hope for better. I think I'm just too gunshy at this point. But, like I said, that may change in a month.
What they need is someone with experience as a headwriter. Something MarDar did not have. TomSell are recycled failures. So is Dena. MarDar were knew but lacked experience. Whoever they hire, they need to be able to write their stories and not be dictated to by NBC execs. I've said this many times but Ken Corday needs to stay the hell out of the writers room.
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Jan 6 2013, 03:58 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

LanaluvsBroe
Jan 6 2013, 03:57 PM
esp13
lysie
esp13

What they need is someone with experience as a headwriter. Something MarDar did not have. TomSell are recycled failures. So is Dena. MarDar were knew but lacked experience. Whoever they hire, they need to be able to write their stories and not be dictated to by NBC execs. I've said this many times but Ken Corday needs to stay the hell out of the writers room.
Experience as a HW does not a good HW make. Wherefor art thou, Megan McTavish....

Jason47
Member Avatar

Yay!!

Working simultaneously on the 12,000th Episode Tribute and the Ali Sweeney 20th Anniversary Tribute, that's a nice quote to hear to end this week!!

I didn't want my next tribute to have to be a Goodbye to Days.

Lots of fun in store for the 12.000th & Ali 20th tributes. Hope you will all enjoy them!! Don't forget to PM me your "congratulations to Days on 12.000 episodes" messages, so they can be included in the tribute later in the week.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 6 2013, 03:23 PM
Every head writer or producer has a bias towards certain characters or actors based on the stories they want to tell. People only have a problem with it if it's not in the favor of the characters they want or have their own bias and favoritism for.
What's happened with Days goes beyond plain bias. You have writers recycling stories from 1-2 years ago that people hated the first time around. The actors are bored and it shows in their performance. Vets are either fired or backburned. I wouldn't mind a certain bias if the stories were at least intersting but with the exception of a few storylines (Kristen, Nicole/Eric), the rest is nothing but recycled crap. The bias you speak of is killing this show.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
lysie
esp13
lysie

I completely forgot Higley existed. Sheffer is still employed, right? That's why I wasn't counting him. I liked Beth Milstein, though.

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 04:09 PM
esp13
lysie
esp13

I completely forgot Higley existed. Sheffer is still employed, right? That's why I wasn't counting him. I liked Beth Milstein, though.
I think Hogan's still at Y&R, but I don't know that for sure. I haven't heard a word about him in the writing changes there.

Beth Milstein is an interesting idea. I want to know how much of what was going on between JER and Hogan was really her stuff though.

world50

Then Please TPTB......for gosh goodness sakes.......give Days some good s/l's to sink their teeth into.And please no more Dannifer and these cockamamie couplings with no believable lovestories.They need to strengthen the show with talented writers and not hack it up as they have been doing.*sigh* :drunk: I never get what I want anyway. :hmmph:

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

lysie
Sheffer is still employed, right?
I thought I read somewhere that Hogan left when Maria Arena Bell was let go? I could be wrong about that, though.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 6 2013, 04:15 PM
lysie
esp13
lysie

I think Hogan's still at Y&R, but I don't know that for sure. I haven't heard a word about him in the writing changes there.

Beth Milstein is an interesting idea. I want to know how much of what was going on between JER and Hogan was really her stuff though.
She had an amazing cast.

camera shy

lumifan4life
Jan 6 2013, 03:15 PM
salempc
nickyj12345
Jan 6 2013, 03:10 PM
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 02:59 PM
I hope this means Corday will be able to bring in new headwriters. And if he does, I hope he keeps the scriptwriters.
Are you sure you want that?

We had headwriters that appreciated the history of the show with a horrible sense of pacing - and were replaced with Tomsell, who wouldn't know the history of Salem's denizens if their lives depended on it.

I'll take reasonably compelling, plot-driven stories with excellent scripts for now. Let's ride this horse as long as we can.

We all know that Corday is going to freak out momentarily when Days stays in 4th place and replace Tomsell with a cigar-smoking monkey.
A cigar-smoking monkey would do a better job than Tomlin.
And as a fan of characters I never get to see because of TomSell's unbelievably ridiculous bias and favoritism, I hope for new writers too.
Yes I would love to see Tomlin get fired. Lets get a headwriter who's willing to write for the entire cast and not just his favorites. Let everyone have a story, that story comes to an end and those particular actors are backburned for a while, while others get the front burner stories. I don't believe Melanie was back burned for years.

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

It's going anywhere right now.

lumifan4life

camera shy
Jan 6 2013, 04:20 PM
lumifan4life
Jan 6 2013, 03:15 PM
salempc
nickyj12345
Jan 6 2013, 03:10 PM

A cigar-smoking monkey would do a better job than Tomlin.
And as a fan of characters I never get to see because of TomSell's unbelievably ridiculous bias and favoritism, I hope for new writers too.
Yes I would love to see Tomlin get fired. Lets get a headwriter who's willing to write for the entire cast and not just his favorites. Let everyone have a story, that story comes to an end and those particular actors are backburned for a while, while others get the front burner stories. I don't believe Melanie was back burned for years.
Yeah like they do at GH who coincidentally happens to not be in dead last place. Guess using a variety of characters in storylines while giving everyone almost an equal share of airtime and not blatantly backburning a few just to fit an agenda works for them. Go figure.

DoolMT

Did anyone else read the title of this thread and think "it's not going anywhere" applied to the lack of direction in storylines? LOL

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 6 2013, 03:23 PM
Every head writer or producer has a bias towards certain characters or actors based on the stories they want to tell. People only have a problem with it if it's not in the favor of the characters they want or have their own bias and favoritism for.
Yes and no. All writers have their favorites but some of them still manage to write for the whole show.

halee74
Member Avatar

So glad to hear it. Been a fan of days since I was 12.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

esp13
lysie
esp13
lysie

I don't see how SSM or C&B would be recycled failures if they ever came back.

cord08

While I think DAYS needs to do something, at a certain point, (we're probably already past it) changing writers every six months gives the show even less consistency and stability than it currently possesses. Constant upheaval is not usually good for business...and in the end, that's what DAYS is, a business.

blueskies
Member Avatar

thank goodness! :) Although his "I think" is a bit disturbing.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LonePirate
Member Avatar

camera shy
Jan 6 2013, 04:20 PM
Yes I would love to see Tomlin get fired. Lets get a headwriter who's willing to write for the entire cast and not just his favorites.
The only regular characters who do not seem to have much of a story or are seldom seen nowadays are Abe, Kate, Lucas and Roman and that apparently changes soon for Kate. For a cast with around 30 regular characters, I think it is quite the accomplishment that so many cast members have an active story, regardless if fans like that story or not. I also think it dispels any notion that these writers are only writing for their favorites, unless 90% of the cast qualifies as being a favorite of the writers.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply