Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (9,982 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 02:59 PM
I hope this means Corday will be able to bring in new headwriters. And if he does, I hope he keeps the scriptwriters.
It would be the next logical step right? IF we suspect that NBC pushed for TOmlin to return and they are sucking now more than MarDar were, then it's the perfect opportunity for Corday to be allowed to at the very least fire one of them and promote LB into the CW capacity. If I were Corday, I'd fire BOTH of them and just promote LB into HW.....maybe the favoritism and agendas would be less and less at that point.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

LonePirate
Jan 6 2013, 05:18 PM
camera shy
Jan 6 2013, 04:20 PM
Yes I would love to see Tomlin get fired. Lets get a headwriter who's willing to write for the entire cast and not just his favorites.
The only regular characters who do not seem to have much of a story or are seldom seen nowadays are Abe, Kate, Lucas and Roman and that apparently changes soon for Kate. For a cast with around 30 regular characters, I think it is quite the accomplishment that so many cast members have an active story, regardless if fans like that story or not. I also think it dispels any notion that these writers are only writing for their favorites, unless 90% of the cast qualifies as being a favorite of the writers.
i wouldn't say Hope has been burning up the screen and we'll wait to see if Abby's more than a cameo for Chad to cause wedding trouble. Also Maggie and Victor's roles are only to pimp Dan.

concerned
Member Avatar

camera shy
lumifan4life
Jan 6 2013, 03:15 PM
salempc
Jan 6 2013, 03:12 PM
nickyj12345
Jan 6 2013, 03:10 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
A cigar-smoking monkey would do a better job than Tomlin.
And as a fan of characters I never get to see because of TomSell's unbelievably ridiculous bias and favoritism, I hope for new writers too.
Yes I would love to see Tomlin get fired. Lets get a headwriter who's willing to write for the entire cast and not just his favorites. Let everyone have a story, that story comes to an end and those particular actors are backburned for a while, while others get the front burner stories. I don't believe Melanie was back burned for years.
Do the writers / head writers get any say over how often a character is used?

Wouldn't they have to comply with the contractual agreements with the actors?

Is there a time limit on their contractual agreements or just an episode agreement?

ie could we foreseeably see Lucas have a 10 second hand over of children twice a week to see out his contract.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 04:09 PM
esp13
Jan 6 2013, 03:50 PM
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 03:47 PM
esp13
Jan 6 2013, 03:35 PM

Well, the only true recycled failure they could bring back would be MarDar. So no, I wouldn't consider that legitimate change, lol.
Or Dena. Or Hogan. Or anybody from between JER's two runs. And, just as importantly, MarDar weren't recycled failures when they were hired and they didn't work at all.

I understand the desire for better. I even understand the desire to hope for better. I think I'm just too gunshy at this point. But, like I said, that may change in a month.
I completely forgot Higley existed. Sheffer is still employed, right? That's why I wasn't counting him. I liked Beth Milstein, though.
When did she write? There was another HW team I really liked back in the 90s.

HS is still holding on at Y&R, but since the regime he started out worth got replaced, who knows if he's there long term.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar

LonePirate
camera shy
Yes I would love to see Tomlin get fired. Lets get a headwriter who's willing to write for the entire cast and not just his favorites.
The only regular characters who do not seem to have much of a story or are seldom seen nowadays are Abe, Kate, Lucas and Roman and that apparently changes soon for Kate. For a cast with around 30 regular characters, I think it is quite the accomplishment that so many cast members have an active story, regardless if fans like that story or not. I also think it dispels any notion that these writers are only writing for their favorites, unless 90% of the cast qualifies as being a favorite of the writers.
IMHO, the fact that they are writing the SAME DAMN STORIES that they were writing before they got fired, featured the SAME DAMN FEW is what makes it a favoritism issue IMHO. For example if they were writing a story with Kate and Lucas running a company to compete with CW, or they were writing a story for Nicole and Rafe, or they were writing a story for Daniel away from Jennifer, then I could see what your trying to say. But they are back and they put the show exactly where it was story wise at the time Tomlin got fired. It was heavily suspected at the time that they would go with a gay storyline but Wabi would sleep together before he was willing to come out to the world and then they'd have to deal with her pregnancy after he was out. Same with Dannifer.....Daniel was shown to be very much into Jen, Jen was shown to be very much into Dan and their relationship would have continued to escalate if it was not for TOmlin getting the boot. We are back to them fawning over one another....and now guess who returns? Chloe, who conveniently got fired when Tomlin did.....

Notice how I didn't even mention what occurred with Ejami/Safe.....but you get my drift.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I've started to think the problem isn't with the writers at Days. Whoever they are the show still winds up in approximately the same place with people wishing for some kind of HW change to salvage it. So another swap...meh.

For what it's worth, though, I would want MarDar back. Their pacing was horrible and eggbaby is pretty close to unforgivable, but I feel like now that GH has proven ratings success working in older characters and history and whatnot, maybe MarDar would be left alone to do their thing, which I imagine based on their relaunch would be similar.

Glad to hear the mild endorsement from NBC, though. Even if I'm not super into it, it's nice to think the Days title will live on a bit longer.

Harmony233

concerned
Jan 6 2013, 05:25 PM
camera shy
lumifan4life
Jan 6 2013, 03:15 PM
salempc

And as a fan of characters I never get to see because of TomSell's unbelievably ridiculous bias and favoritism, I hope for new writers too.
Yes I would love to see Tomlin get fired. Lets get a headwriter who's willing to write for the entire cast and not just his favorites. Let everyone have a story, that story comes to an end and those particular actors are backburned for a while, while others get the front burner stories. I don't believe Melanie was back burned for years.
Do the writers / head writers get any say over how often a character is used?

Wouldn't they have to comply with the contractual agreements with the actors?

Is there a time limit on their contractual agreements or just an episode agreement?

ie could we foreseeably see Lucas have a 10 second hand over of children twice a week to see out his contract.
yes as someone who had to deal with guza on gh for years and years he only wrote for his favs which was jason/sonny/carly the rest fought for at and no vets was written for

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 6 2013, 03:35 PM
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 03:25 PM
esp13
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 02:59 PM
I hope this means Corday will be able to bring in new headwriters. And if he does, I hope he keeps the scriptwriters.
I don't know how to feel about that. It seems like everytime we wish for new screenwriters, we end up regretting it one way or another. People hated JER and we got Hogan. People hated him and we got Dena (way worse). People hated her and we got MarDar (differently bad). People hated MarDar and we got TomSell (differently bad). I don't love TomSell by any means, but their brand of bad is far more tolerable to me than previous regimes.

If I had even a tiny bit of hope that we'd get somebody that was actually better, not just differently bad, I'd be all for it. But my bigger fear is that we'd get somebody who's particular brand of bad was even worse.
With legitimate change comes hope. TomSell wasn't a legitimate change, so there was no hope there. But someone actually different could at least make me hopeful again.
That's a fair point, I suppose. But, what constitutes legitimate change? Somebody truly new, or just another recycled failure? That's my fear. I guess, at this point anyway, I'm in the devil you know category. A month from now, I might not feel the same way.
Anyone wonder what might happen if Dena were to return without TOmlin/Whitesell around? Do you think that Corday, who loved the woman so much apparently would fire the other two, rehire her and keep LB as co-hw with Dena?

WowItsJustine
Member Avatar

Yay,Happy for somewhat of a confirmation.I complain about the show but don't know what I'd do without it I've
been watching it since I was nine years old.

Now I'll just wait for the lastest round of Cordays yearly headline making "How to fix days".My dream scenario would be Sheri Anderson but we all know the chances of that are nil.A changeup with TomSell is of course in order.I hope they're out the door sooner rather than later.

As far as stories it's time to backburner the select few for awhile .Please.
Edited by WowItsJustine, Jan 6 2013, 05:47 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jan 6 2013, 05:27 PM
lysie
esp13
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 03:47 PM

Or Dena. Or Hogan. Or anybody from between JER's two runs. And, just as importantly, MarDar weren't recycled failures when they were hired and they didn't work at all.

I understand the desire for better. I even understand the desire to hope for better. I think I'm just too gunshy at this point. But, like I said, that may change in a month.
I completely forgot Higley existed. Sheffer is still employed, right? That's why I wasn't counting him. I liked Beth Milstein, though.

HS is still holding on at Y&R, but since the regime he started out worth got replaced, who knows if he's there long term.
She was writing during the JER/Sheffer transition. Seriously. That cast was epic.

John
Marlena
Jack
Jennifer
Steve
Kayla
Bo
Hope
Carrie
Austin
Sami
Lucas
EJ
Belle
Shawn
Philip (but not JKJ...)
Frankie
Billie
Stephanie (though not my favorite one)
Chelsea
Abby
Max
Roman
Kate
Abe
Lexie
TEK
Bonnie
Patrick
Mimi (i could do without those three)
Caroline
Shawn Sr.
Victor
Alice
Maggie

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jan 6 2013, 05:28 PM
LonePirate
camera shy
IMHO, the fact that they are writing the SAME DAMN STORIES that they were writing before they got fired, featured the SAME DAMN FEW is what makes it a favoritism issue IMHO. For example if they were writing a story with Kate and Lucas running a company to compete with CW, or they were writing a story for Nicole and Rafe, or they were writing a story for Daniel away from Jennifer, then I could see what your trying to say. But they are back and they put the show exactly where it was story wise at the time Tomlin got fired. It was heavily suspected at the time that they would go with a gay storyline but Wabi would sleep together before he was willing to come out to the world and then they'd have to deal with her pregnancy after he was out. Same with Dannifer.....Daniel was shown to be very much into Jen, Jen was shown to be very much into Dan and their relationship would have continued to escalate if it was not for TOmlin getting the boot. We are back to them fawning over one another....and now guess who returns? Chloe, who conveniently got fired when Tomlin did.....

Notice how I didn't even mention what occurred with Ejami/Safe.....but you get my drift.
Thank you! Jen/Dan, Rafe/Sami/EJ - it's a all a reset of 2011. Only it didn't work then and it ain't working now. Only it's worse now because of all the characters that were sacrificed for this reset.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I freaking loved Beth Milstein's interim stint. By the time Sheffer's stuff started airing, I actually wanted her to stay and him to just go away. In fact, Milstein's brief tenure is infinitely greater than anything the show did under either JER or Sheffer, IMO.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

cord08
Jan 6 2013, 05:04 PM
While I think DAYS needs to do something, at a certain point, (we're probably already past it) changing writers every six months gives the show even less consistency and stability than it currently possesses. Constant upheaval is not usually good for business...and in the end, that's what DAYS is, a business.
That wouldn't be a problem if the new writer would quit trying to undo everything that was written by the previous writer.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 05:46 PM
six
lysie
esp13

She was writing during the JER/Sheffer transition. Seriously. That cast was epic.

John
Marlena
Jack
Jennifer
Steve
Kayla
Bo
Hope
Carrie
Austin
Sami
Lucas
EJ
Belle
Shawn
Philip (but not JKJ...)
Frankie
Billie
Chelsea
Abby
Max
Roman
Kate
Abe
Lexie
TEK
Bonnie
Patrick
Caroline
Shawn Sr.
Victor
Alice
Maggie
How many months was that? About 8? JER got fired in the beginning of 2006 right and Sheffer got there in the fall of 2006 right? Or was it less?

The biggest problem I see at Days is the fact that they film 3 months ahead.....they have NO WAY to tackle a story that isn't being well received by the audience, what they do is come out with half assessed Corday statements that' things will change by xx date' and to keep watching to see the conclusion...then he goes on and tells them the fans want something else. That is not the way to tackle a soap story failure.....if they only had 4 to 6 week lead time then they'd easily correct the story, shift it or stop it altogether, now they have to wait for 3 months until they do anything.
Edited by LuvingLumi, Jan 6 2013, 05:53 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

LanaluvsBroe
Jan 6 2013, 05:51 PM
cord08
While I think DAYS needs to do something, at a certain point, (we're probably already past it) changing writers every six months gives the show even less consistency and stability than it currently possesses. Constant upheaval is not usually good for business...and in the end, that's what DAYS is, a business.
That wouldn't be a problem if the new writer would quit trying to undo everything that was written by the previous writer.
If the previous writers would stop fucking shit up, there'd be nothing to undo. There's still a ton of crap I'm waiting to have undone. lolol

lysie
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jan 6 2013, 05:52 PM
lysie
six
lysie

John
Marlena
Jack
Jennifer
Steve
Kayla
Bo
Hope
Carrie
Austin
Sami
Lucas
EJ
Belle
Shawn
Philip (but not JKJ...)
Frankie
Billie
Chelsea
Abby
Max
Roman
Kate
Abe
Lexie
TEK
Bonnie
Patrick
Caroline
Shawn Sr.
Victor
Alice
Maggie
How many months was that? About 8? JER got fired in the beginning of 2006 right and Sheffer got there in the fall of 2006 right? Or was it less?

The biggest problem I see at Days is the fact that they film 3 months ahead.....they have NO WAY to tackle a story that isn't being well received by the audience, what they do is come out with half assessed Corday statements that' things will change by xx date' and to keep watching to see the conclusion...then he goes on and tells them the fans want something else. That is not the way to tackle a soap story failure.....if they only had 4 to 6 week lead time then they'd easily correct the story, shift it or stop it altogether, now they have to wait for 3 months until they do anything.
I'm pretty sure it was significantly less. JER wasn't really gone until late spring and Sheffer's stuff started in the fall. But I have long maintained that if this show ever does a nightmare scenario, someone needs to wake up in August of 2006.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
six
lysie
esp13

John
Marlena
Jack
Jennifer
Steve
Kayla
Bo
Hope
Carrie
Austin
Sami
Lucas
EJ
Belle
Shawn
Philip (but not JKJ...)
Frankie
Billie
Chelsea
Abby
Max
Roman
Kate
Abe
Lexie
TEK
Bonnie
Patrick
Caroline
Shawn Sr.
Victor
Alice
Maggie
Oh, I was only watching sporadically back then, so I don't really remember that period. Thanks.

esp13
Member Avatar

Jason47's website doesn't even list Beth Milstein as HW. It goes straight from JER to Hogan and that transition is in October. But I swear I remember reading that she was doing interim work from about June to when Sheffer's stuff started. And I did really kind of like that time period for the most part.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 6 2013, 05:53 PM
LanaluvsBroe
Jan 6 2013, 05:51 PM
cord08
If the previous writers would stop fucking shit up, there'd be nothing to undo. There's still a ton of crap I'm waiting to have undone. lolol
I could understand undoing some things that weren't well received by the fans (Eggbaby!) but to undo almost everything written by the previous writers the way Tomlin has, is going too far and damages the integrity of the characters and the show as a whole.
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Jan 6 2013, 06:16 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 6 2013, 05:59 PM
Jason47's website doesn't even list Beth Milstein as HW. It goes straight from JER to Hogan and that transition is in October. But I swear I remember reading that she was doing interim work from about June to when Sheffer's stuff started. And I did really kind of like that time period for the most part.
IIRC, Sheffer was hired, but there was a lag. IDK if this is true, but at the time I had heard that was a time period for him to become more acquainted with the show and it's history because apparently he wasn't familiar with Days. IDK how true anything I heard at that time is, but I do remember that Hogan's first preview didn't come until that fall. And if he'd stuck to the things he previewed, I think I'd have liked him. His first few months were great, IMO.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply