Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (10,145 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 06:08 PM
esp13
Jan 6 2013, 05:59 PM
Jason47's website doesn't even list Beth Milstein as HW. It goes straight from JER to Hogan and that transition is in October. But I swear I remember reading that she was doing interim work from about June to when Sheffer's stuff started. And I did really kind of like that time period for the most part.
IIRC, Sheffer was hired, but there was a lag. IDK if this is true, but at the time I had heard that was a time period for him to become more acquainted with the show and it's history because apparently he wasn't familiar with Days. IDK how true anything I heard at that time is, but I do remember that Hogan's first preview didn't come until that fall. And if he'd stuck to the things he previewed, I think I'd have liked him. His first few months were great, IMO.
I agree and I'll go to my grave wondering how much of his stuff got screwed up by TPTB. My personal belief is a whole hell of a lot of it because when Ed Scott came in and they had those short few months together, things started clicking again. Then it all went to hell.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lumifan4life

LanaluvsBroe
Jan 6 2013, 06:07 PM
Matt
Jan 6 2013, 05:53 PM
LanaluvsBroe
Jan 6 2013, 05:51 PM
cord08
Jan 6 2013, 05:04 PM
While I think DAYS needs to do something, at a certain point, (we're probably already past it) changing writers every six months gives the show even less consistency and stability than it currently possesses. Constant upheaval is not usually good for business...and in the end, that's what DAYS is, a business.
That wouldn't be a problem if the new writer would quit trying to undo everything that was written by the previous writer.
If the previous writers would stop fucking shit up, there'd be nothing to undo. There's still a ton of crap I'm waiting to have undone. lolol
I could understand undoing some things that weren't well received by the fans (Eggbaby!) but to undo almost everything written by the previous writers the way Tomlin has, is going too far and damages the integrity of the characters and the show as a whole.
Exactly. It's like everytime the writers change especially when it comes to Tomlin, we must pretend that whatever happened a mere day ago is irrelevant now because he has no concept or respect for history or continuity.

Jason47
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 6 2013, 05:59 PM
Jason47's website doesn't even list Beth Milstein as HW. It goes straight from JER to Hogan and that transition is in October. But I swear I remember reading that she was doing interim work from about June to when Sheffer's stuff started. And I did really kind of like that time period for the most part.
The credits never officially listed Beth Milstein as the head writer. Here are the writer credits from those months (and the separate slates for each writer). Credits are for the first episode of each month:

AUGUST 2006:
Written by: James E. Reilly
Peter Brash, Rick Draughon, Renee Godelia, Jeanne Marie Ford
Sofia Landon Geier, Bruce Neckels, Jodie Scholz, Michael Slade, Susan Kirshenbaum

SEPTEMBER 2006:
Beth Milstein, Peter Brash, Rick Draughon, Renee Godelia, Hannah Shearer, Jeanne Marie Ford
Sofia Landon Geier, Bruce Neckels, Jodie Scholz, Michael Slade, Susan Kirshenbaum

OCTOBER 2006:
Beth Milstein, Peter Brash, Rick Draughon, Renee Godelia, Hannah Shearer, Jeanne Marie Ford
Sofia Landon Geier, Bruce Neckels, Jodie Scholz, Michael Slade, Susan Kirshenbaum, Meg Kelly, Anne M. Schoettle

NOVEMBER 2006:
Written by: Hogan Sheffer, Meg Kelly
Sofia Landon Geier, Bruce Neckels, Jodie Scholz, Michael Slade, Susan Kirshenbaum, Anne M. Schoettle

If she was considered a head writer, by WGA standards, then she should have been listed on the same slate as Jim Reilly, such as:

Written by: James E. Reilly, Beth Milstein
Edited by Jason47, Jan 6 2013, 06:56 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Thanks, Jason. And supposedly, JER was actually not writing by June.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Well that was encouraging... maybe! :shrug:

Jason47
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 06:53 PM
Beth wasn't in the credits at all until August. Here are May, June and July 2006:

MAY 2006:
Victor Gialanella, Peter Brash, Rick Draughon, Jeanne Marie Ford

JUNE 2006:
Victor Gialanella, Peter Brash, Rick Draughon, Jeanne Marie Ford
Sofia Landon Geier, Bruce Neckels, Jodie Scholz, Michael Slade

JULY 2006:
Peter Brash, Rick Draughon, Renee Godelia, Jeanne Marie Ford

Jason47
Member Avatar

lysie
I can only go by what the credits say!! You know who supposedly takes credit for creating EJ DiMera, yet there are no records to verify that.

lysie
Member Avatar

Jason47
Jan 6 2013, 06:59 PM
lysie
I can only go by what the credits say!! You know who supposedly takes credit for creating EJ DiMera, yet there are no records to verify that.
Oh, I was trying to get you to change yours, lol.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

The ending credits aren't always right.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

I think I'll wait for an official announcement from NBC regarding renewal/cancellation. I distinctly remember when cancellation rumors were flying about OLTL and AMC that there would occasionally be a statement from someone supposedly in the know, or the actors themselves, that the show was not being cancelled and it will go on for years, etc. Lo and behold, both got the ax after all the reassurances that both would be on for several more years. I'll just wait and see on this and nothing will surprise me. I won't be shocked if Days is cancelled and I won't be shocked if NBC gives it more time.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jan 6 2013, 07:13 PM
The ending credits aren't always right.
I don't know when they haven't been. At least pertaining to the writers. There's a memo I have back from the late 1960's, and Betty Corday profusely apologizes to Bill Bell for his name being left off the credits one day. Pat Falken Smith had written the dialogue and there was a substitute typist or something and she only listed the script writer, not the head writer. I think Bill could have been owed extra money for that mistake, but they came to terms. Haven't seen the memo in awhile, but a mistake even in the 60s was a big-to-do!

lysie
Member Avatar

Well, they weren't correct that summer, lol.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Great news for DAYS! I may not like everything that's going on right now, but I would be sad to see the show go.

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 09:18 PM
Not necessarily. They could have been working off JER's bible/longform scripts which Milstein was tweaking. Not sure how things get counted in that type of situation. After all, Hogan was listed as HW for scripts which included stuff we know (as much as possible) were not written by him.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 6 2013, 09:22 PM
lysie
Jan 6 2013, 09:18 PM
Not necessarily. They could have been working off JER's bible/longform scripts which Milstein was tweaking. Not sure how things get counted in that type of situation. After all, Hogan was listed as HW for scripts which included stuff we know (as much as possible) were not written by him.
Supposedly there were contract issues with JER which could account for differences in the credits, but I'd assume you're right that they had to be using his outlines. She got credit for more at the time though, but IDK how that works.

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Wikipedia (I know, I know) says Milstein was interim HW from August 10 to October 4, which pretty much squares with my memory. I was pretty sure JER (or whoever, lol) was writing through July. Deveraux burgers, anyone?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sariah
Member Avatar

Tomsell kill and steal babies. I'll never be a fan. And yes, that's my bias and favoritism showing. But it isn't just my favorites that Tomsell are butchering. I don't care if the story is fast/well-paced if the characters are completely unrecognizable. Soaps are characters. That's why people watch. Not for alien landings or exorcisms or exploding volcanoes. For the characters' reactions to those things.

And the prolonging of unsatisfying, unrootable stories has gone on for too long. I don't even care who Sami ends up with - but holy hell, have her choose one.

newlabone

well....................what to say !!??... i just read every post. there were only a few i disagreed with, but for the most part i agree with the general message that the writes have to go and go quickly. these two jokers got the show ran into the ground.how much longer will tptb allow this to go on ? let me make this statement>>>the only reason days might survive for another year is nbc got nothing to replace it with but you can be assured they are working on it.. now back to the change in writer lb would not be a good change. i have wated her work and its so/so and i feel we need new class a new bunch of writers. anyone can be educated and briefed and brought through dool wonderful history and to continue with fresh new ideas using the wonderful actors.Beth Milstein was mentioned she was writing for awhile and i thought he did well hs as hw was terrible. the worst thing that happened was loseing ed scott. he was getting things lined up and the direction was good but the head writer was terrible. isn't it time to ask him back perhaps along with Beth Milstein they would do better than the current writers and co-ep. i have watched days for 25 years this stuff is the worst. when a new team is in place tptb need to make another change stop tapeing so far ahead. 4 month is 1/3 of a year thats to long to see change is terrible story writing. what wroung with 6 weeks. i know i don;t understand the reasons why but something as to be done in this area as well . on y and r it din't take to long to see the new stuff when a new team was in place . if days changed writers tomorrow we got about 4 months more of this crap to watch. is there anyway around that? i still got Beth Milstein in my mind and thinking back she did do a good job filling in . i wonder what the ratings were like during her short time writing the show before hs screwed things up. heres a thought go to gh writers try and get them double there pay lol man i am desperate to get dool a great bunch of writers. well lets hope when corday is let off stefanos dessert island that he cleans house and some how changes the show for the best . i have to try and research the rating during the time Beth Milstein wrote briefly for days. :thanks:

darraholic
Member Avatar

It was probably kooky Kola ghostwriting y'all.

lysie
Member Avatar

darraholic
Jan 6 2013, 09:42 PM
It was probably kooky Kola ghostwriting y'all.
That's the third time in this thread. If she shows up, I"m blaming you.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply