Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (9,912 Views)
JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

I'm generally with what knots says above. We're getting some fresh angles and while the show is far from perfect, it's in a pretty good place right now comparatively speaking. How long it stays that way is anyone's guess. At the moment I definitely like it more than I liked things under MarDar and I'm hesitant in any desire to see the apple cart upset unless things really start to go south. I'm glad NBC seems to be indicating that the show isn't going anywhere. I have my complaints, but I keep watching...and I can 99.9% guarantee NBC that I won't be watching anything they might replace it with.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

knots
Jan 7 2013, 09:36 AM
First of all Tomlin was ep not headwriter a lot of these stories were dena higley's and some were christpher whitesell. Frankly I like the paternity angle and it is a new story because a gay angle is involved and Will knew from the beginning it was not a who's the daddy. Plus eric as the priest is new angle. And I know the kristen with brady is new so to say these are recycled stories is ridiculous. They are new angles to all of these stories. I am enjoying the new angles. You get new writers I guarantee we may go back to kristen being written off because it was not their story, Wilson being deemphasazied like with mar dar and other things. Based on last week days is on fire and I am loving it.
It's not ridiculous to say that the majority of the show has recycled stories, or stories that appeared back only two years ago, it's a fact, YOU CAN SEE IT, there is no denying it, it's playing out on screen now. I wouldn't say that the entire show has a new angle because of Kristen and Eric. They are two characters who came back and haven't been seen in over a decade. If they didn't have new stories for these two characters I'd be surprised, so it's a no brainer that the two who haven't been on forever could introduce new angles to stories, but why can't the writers do something else with the rest of the canvas? Why do they have to go back to telling the same exact stories they were telling when one was a co-hw and the other was the co-EP??

There was heavy speculation at the time (and it's sort of proven now with Dena nowhere around) that Gary Tomlin was in control of the stories via Chris Whitesell, who was the Co-HW with Dena then. There had been heavy talk of how Dena would lose control of the writing and it seemed that someone else was in control. I think we can pretty much say, that it does look like Tomlin used Whitesell as his arm into the writing department at Days, to either dictate or push his 'ideas' along. I'm not saying that Dena was not to blame for some of the crappy stories we got in 2011, but when you think about it...who green lighted those stories? Tomlin as Co-EP, Corday, The network....all of those deserve credit for how awful the show got too....and those are also the same idiots running the show now, or writing it....I am worried and if you think Days is on fire based on solely last weeks shows then we have an even bigger issue.....unless they continue to only showcase Bristen/Jarlena...everything else seemed like it was more of the same crap and just another day.

Deleted User
Deleted User

The show is still crap. It's going to need new head writers before I consider giving this show the time of day. TomSell continue recycling the most hated SLs and triangles while making all the villains minus Kristen good and boring.
Quote Post Goto Top

lumifan4life

knots
First of all Tomlin was ep not headwriter a lot of these stories were dena higley's and some were christpher whitesell. Frankly I like the paternity angle and it is a new story because a gay angle is involved and Will knew from the beginning it was not a who's the daddy. Plus eric as the priest is new angle. And I know the kristen with brady is new so to say these are recycled stories is ridiculous. They are new angles to all of these stories. I am enjoying the new angles. You get new writers I guarantee we may go back to kristen being written off because it was not their story, Wilson being deemphasazied like with mar dar and other things. Based on last week days is on fire and I am loving it.
Judging that Kristen is with Brady in the first place, I honestly don't see her sticking around for all that long. Brady's women usually end up dead sooner than later.
Edited by lumifan4life, Jan 7 2013, 10:57 AM.

knots

LuvingLumi
Jan 7 2013, 10:43 AM
knots
It's not ridiculous to say that the majority of the show has recycled stories, or stories that appeared back only two years ago, it's a fact, YOU CAN SEE IT, there is no denying it, it's playing out on screen now. I wouldn't say that the entire show has a new angle because of Kristen and Eric. They are two characters who came back and haven't been seen in over a decade. If they didn't have new stories for these two characters I'd be surprised, so it's a no brainer that the two who haven't been on forever could introduce new angles to stories, but why can't the writers do something else with the rest of the canvas? Why do they have to go back to telling the same exact stories they were telling when one was a co-hw and the other was the co-EP??

There was heavy speculation at the time (and it's sort of proven now with Dena nowhere around) that Gary Tomlin was in control of the stories via Chris Whitesell, who was the Co-HW with Dena then. There had been heavy talk of how Dena would lose control of the writing and it seemed that someone else was in control. I think we can pretty much say, that it does look like Tomlin used Whitesell as his arm into the writing department at Days, to either dictate or push his 'ideas' along. I'm not saying that Dena was not to blame for some of the crappy stories we got in 2011, but when you think about it...who green lighted those stories? Tomlin as Co-EP, Corday, The network....all of those deserve credit for how awful the show got too....and those are also the same idiots running the show now, or writing it....I am worried and if you think Days is on fire based on solely last weeks shows then we have an even bigger issue.....unless they continue to only showcase Bristen/Jarlena...everything else seemed like it was more of the same crap and just another day.
what you are saying is speculation about backstage gossip that is no proof of that. I am taking the show as is tomlin was ep. Again they are not the same stories. I do not think everything is perfect but I am enjoying the show. I am sorry that you are not. I see you are a lumi fan frankly Iwould have preferred sami with lucas too but that does not mean because one thing I want to happen did not that I am leaving the show. days is my favorite show it is the only soap that I look forward too and I look at all four shows. Eileen sighned a 5year contract and tomlin brought her on so i doubt she is going anywhere. I have looked at all the soaps and I have had favorites and my favorites have been kicked to the curb because I support soap operas. During mar dar's reign this show was getting on my nerves it is not anymore. people are connected to each other better. When will came out where was the scene with his uncle austin and aunt carrie. The wedding involves the families which is fun for me plus kristen and brady.
Edited by knots, Jan 7 2013, 11:25 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

knots
Jan 7 2013, 11:23 AM
LuvingLumi
knots

what you are saying is speculation about backstage gossip that is no proof of that. I am taking the show as is tomlin was ep. Again they are not the same stories. I do not think everything is perfect but I am enjoying the show. I am sorry that you are not. I see you are a lumi fan frankly Iwould have preferred sami with lucas too but that does not mean because one thing I want to happen did not that I am leaving the show. days is my favorite show it is the only soap that I look forward too and I look at all four shows. Eileen sighned a 5year contract and tomlin brought her on so i doubt she is going anywhere. I have looked at all the soaps and I have had favorites and my favorites have been kicked to the curb because I support soap operas. During mar dar's reign this show was getting on my nerves it is not anymore. people are connected to each other better. When will came out where was the scene with his uncle austin and aunt carrie. The wedding involves the families which is fun for me plus kristen and brady.
Where did you get that Eileen signed a five year contract?

Tomlin's involvement in stories isn't speculation. It was referenced constantly in previews while he was EP. The speculation is over just how much involvement there was.

And I would like new writers but that doesn't mean I'm "leaving" the show.
Edited by lysie, Jan 7 2013, 11:29 AM.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

lumifan4life
Jan 7 2013, 10:57 AM
knots
Judging that Kristen is with Brady in the first place, I honestly don't see her sticking around for all that long. Brady's women usually end up dead sooner than later.
Brady's other women were also irrelevant, which plays into why they died in the first place. Kristen is no where near irrelevant.

Arianna and Madison were no where close to being in the same league as Kristen.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 7 2013, 11:28 AM
knots
LuvingLumi
knots

Where did you get that Eileen signed a five year contract?

Tomlin's involvement in stories isn't speculation. It was referenced constantly in previews while he was EP. The speculation is over just how much involvement there was.

And I would like new writers but that doesn't mean I'm "leaving" the show.
I didn't think they offered anything above a standard 2 year contract. Not to mention, why offer a long term deal with the show's renewal still up in the air? It doesn't make sense.
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Jan 7 2013, 11:41 AM.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

And as other people have referenced, Arianna wasn't even with Brady when she died. So I don't really get the "doomsday" connection when it comes to Brady and his love life. Technically only one of his girlfriends died. Arianna was his ex.

knots

I read on one of the sites when she first came on that she had a signed a 5 year contract. I can't remember now. Also Lysie I did not say you were leaving the show. I was not referring to anyone in particular. I was just hearing in general on other sites that because jack, or bo or whoever was not on the show they were leaving it. I was saying that is not my response. One of my favorite soap characters was laura on gh when they wrote her off I was upset but I still supported the show. Of course an ep is involved with story but I was responding to the backstage scenario that lovinglumi wrote which I would need more evidence of in order to use as proof of anything. I am sorrysome of you are not enjoying the show. I do not like every storyline but I do not like every story of any show. But I like most of what is going on and I fully support the writing team. If you do not that you opinion I may not agree with it but I support to the death your right to have it. About eileen remember sony own both dool and y& r it might have to do with the two shows.
Edited by knots, Jan 7 2013, 11:46 AM.

lumifan4life

NocturnalBlondie
Jan 7 2013, 11:42 AM
And as other people have referenced, Arianna wasn't even with Brady when she died. So I don't really get the "doomsday" connection when it comes to Brady and his love life. Technically only one of his girlfriends died. Arianna was his ex.
Women associated with Brady tend to die. Whether Arianna was with Brady at the time of her death or not, they were romantically linked for the brief time she was on the show. Even Chloe "died" while with Brady but she came back from the dead. Not saying Kristen will definitely die but it's always a possibility as with any other character. "Relevant" characters die too.

AFaithL

Tomlin/Whitesell aren't going anywhere. I venture to say they will be the HWs at least through late 2013.

AFaithL

lumifan4life
Jan 7 2013, 11:46 AM
NocturnalBlondie
Women associated with Brady tend to die. Whether Arianna was with Brady at the time of her death or not, they were romantically linked for the brief time she was on the show. Even Chloe "died" while with Brady but she came back from the dead. Not saying Kristen will definitely die but it's always a possibility as with any other character. "Relevant" characters die too.
These women "died" because they weren't well received in their pairings with Brady. Kristen doesn't have that problem.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

lumifan4life
NocturnalBlondie
Ummm... was Chloe ever killed off? I know she faked her death, but the writers never actually killed her off though I believe?

Assuming Kristen will die because of her association to Brady is stupid though, it's not like Arianna or Madison died because they were with Brady... and you can't even compare Kristen to these two IMO. Arianna and Madison were new characters... Kristen is not. The conditions are no where near the same. Someone more comparable to Kristen though would be Nicole... she was with Brady too, and she's very much alive.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Jan 7 2013, 11:49 AM
lumifan4life
NocturnalBlondie
These women "died" because they weren't well received in their pairings with Brady. Kristen doesn't have that problem.
These women were not killed off because they were with Brady. Arianna wasn't even with Brady when she died! Madison and Arianna were both new characters, new characters with mixed reviews... they could both be seen as disposable by TPTB.

But anyway, we all know Madison was a goner because she was a MarDar creation... keeping her was useless to TomSell. This whole "Brady conspiracy" is total nonsense.

lysie
Member Avatar

knots
Jan 7 2013, 11:45 AM
I read on one of the sites when she first came on that she had a signed a 5 year contract. I can't remember now. Also Lysie I did not say you were leaving the show. I was not referring to anyone in particular. I was just hearing in general on other sites that because jack, or bo or whoever was not on the show they were leaving it. I was saying that is not my response. One of my favorite soap characters was laura on gh when they wrote her off I was upset but I still supported the show. Of course an ep is involved with story but I was responding to the backstage scenario that lovinglumi wrote which I would need more evidence of in order to use as proof of anything. I am sorrysome of you are not enjoying the show. I do not like every storyline but I do not like every story of any show. But I like most of what is going on and I fully support the writing team. If you do not that you opinion I may not agree with it but I support to the death your right to have it. About eileen remember sony own both dool and y& r it might have to do with the two shows.
I'm pretty positive she doesn't have a five year contract.

knots

lysie
Jan 7 2013, 11:57 AM
knots
I may have been wrong about that but that is not the main point of my post. I did read it I just do not remeber where. It could be a contract that says she goes back to young and the restless if days is cancelled. But I did read it.

KweenBoda
Member Avatar

Part of me is glad that they aren't cancelling DAYS but then again we will have to be fucking forced to watch Dr. Dorito's continued climb to godhood..when is fucking Tomlin going to have statues built so people can fucking worship the almighty fucking Dorito?!

blueskies
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 7 2013, 11:57 AM
knots
No, in fact in one article she just said that her contract with Days was "kind of fluid".

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Eileen-Davidson-Days-of-our-Lives-1054275.aspx

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

knots
LuvingLumi
knots

Who says I'm leaving the show because one thing I want isn't happening? Seriously now? You don't know me enough to make assumptions about my viewing habits just because I have an avi or signature banner, so please don't do that. I have watched this show pretty consistently since well before high school and just because my favorites aren't featured doesn't mean I don't like some aspects of what is currently playing out or that I'll leave the show if they aren't featured. I'm not saying that I haven't left the show before, I have and it was only after every character that once held me to the show little by little were written out. That isn't the case this time around, and I've never said it is...so where you are getting that from I don't know.

Also, where did you read that Eileen signed a 5 year deal? Can you please link that article as nothing I've read says anything to that effect.

Again...the show for the most part is telling the same stories that it was telling in 2010/2011. That doesn't mean that you don't enjoy it, or you can't...it just means that I don't. That's fine though, as we can express our differences here, that's what a message board is for.
Edited by LuvingLumi, Jan 7 2013, 01:02 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply