Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (10,009 Views)
annie21

lysie
Jan 7 2013, 11:28 AM
knots
Jan 7 2013, 11:23 AM
LuvingLumi
Jan 7 2013, 10:43 AM
knots
Jan 7 2013, 09:36 AM
First of all Tomlin was ep not headwriter a lot of these stories were dena higley's and some were christpher whitesell. Frankly I like the paternity angle and it is a new story because a gay angle is involved and Will knew from the beginning it was not a who's the daddy. Plus eric as the priest is new angle. And I know the kristen with brady is new so to say these are recycled stories is ridiculous. They are new angles to all of these stories. I am enjoying the new angles. You get new writers I guarantee we may go back to kristen being written off because it was not their story, Wilson being deemphasazied like with mar dar and other things. Based on last week days is on fire and I am loving it.
It's not ridiculous to say that the majority of the show has recycled stories, or stories that appeared back only two years ago, it's a fact, YOU CAN SEE IT, there is no denying it, it's playing out on screen now. I wouldn't say that the entire show has a new angle because of Kristen and Eric. They are two characters who came back and haven't been seen in over a decade. If they didn't have new stories for these two characters I'd be surprised, so it's a no brainer that the two who haven't been on forever could introduce new angles to stories, but why can't the writers do something else with the rest of the canvas? Why do they have to go back to telling the same exact stories they were telling when one was a co-hw and the other was the co-EP??

There was heavy speculation at the time (and it's sort of proven now with Dena nowhere around) that Gary Tomlin was in control of the stories via Chris Whitesell, who was the Co-HW with Dena then. There had been heavy talk of how Dena would lose control of the writing and it seemed that someone else was in control. I think we can pretty much say, that it does look like Tomlin used Whitesell as his arm into the writing department at Days, to either dictate or push his 'ideas' along. I'm not saying that Dena was not to blame for some of the crappy stories we got in 2011, but when you think about it...who green lighted those stories? Tomlin as Co-EP, Corday, The network....all of those deserve credit for how awful the show got too....and those are also the same idiots running the show now, or writing it....I am worried and if you think Days is on fire based on solely last weeks shows then we have an even bigger issue.....unless they continue to only showcase Bristen/Jarlena...everything else seemed like it was more of the same crap and just another day.
what you are saying is speculation about backstage gossip that is no proof of that. I am taking the show as is tomlin was ep. Again they are not the same stories. I do not think everything is perfect but I am enjoying the show. I am sorry that you are not. I see you are a lumi fan frankly Iwould have preferred sami with lucas too but that does not mean because one thing I want to happen did not that I am leaving the show. days is my favorite show it is the only soap that I look forward too and I look at all four shows. Eileen sighned a 5year contract and tomlin brought her on so i doubt she is going anywhere. I have looked at all the soaps and I have had favorites and my favorites have been kicked to the curb because I support soap operas. During mar dar's reign this show was getting on my nerves it is not anymore. people are connected to each other better. When will came out where was the scene with his uncle austin and aunt carrie. The wedding involves the families which is fun for me plus kristen and brady.
Where did you get that Eileen signed a five year contract?

Tomlin's involvement in stories isn't speculation. It was referenced constantly in previews while he was EP. The speculation is over just how much involvement there was.

And I would like new writers but that doesn't mean I'm "leaving" the show.
Also, I thought it was pretty well established that someone at Sony brought Kristen to Days. We have seen nothing to indicate that Tomlin was a part of that decision.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tylerbo20

I think the deal was with sony so ED could float between YR if Days did not want her or need her so she couldnt jump to an ABC soap and dump Sony...anyway this is kinda terrible news because KC will think there is nothing wrong with the show and keep on pimping Dan/Rafe/Jen/Sami/Gabi show...so i say congrats to 2 more years of fast forwarding...

knots

LuvingLumi
Jan 7 2013, 01:00 PM
knots
LuvingLumi
knots
Jan 7 2013, 09:36 AM
First of all Tomlin was ep not headwriter a lot of these stories were dena higley's and some were christpher whitesell. Frankly I like the paternity angle and it is a new story because a gay angle is involved and Will knew from the beginning it was not a who's the daddy. Plus eric as the priest is new angle. And I know the kristen with brady is new so to say these are recycled stories is ridiculous. They are new angles to all of these stories. I am enjoying the new angles. You get new writers I guarantee we may go back to kristen being written off because it was not their story, Wilson being deemphasazied like with mar dar and other things. Based on last week days is on fire and I am loving it.
It's not ridiculous to say that the majority of the show has recycled stories, or stories that appeared back only two years ago, it's a fact, YOU CAN SEE IT, there is no denying it, it's playing out on screen now. I wouldn't say that the entire show has a new angle because of Kristen and Eric. They are two characters who came back and haven't been seen in over a decade. If they didn't have new stories for these two characters I'd be surprised, so it's a no brainer that the two who haven't been on forever could introduce new angles to stories, but why can't the writers do something else with the rest of the canvas? Why do they have to go back to telling the same exact stories they were telling when one was a co-hw and the other was the co-EP??

There was heavy speculation at the time (and it's sort of proven now with Dena nowhere around) that Gary Tomlin was in control of the stories via Chris Whitesell, who was the Co-HW with Dena then. There had been heavy talk of how Dena would lose control of the writing and it seemed that someone else was in control. I think we can pretty much say, that it does look like Tomlin used Whitesell as his arm into the writing department at Days, to either dictate or push his 'ideas' along. I'm not saying that Dena was not to blame for some of the crappy stories we got in 2011, but when you think about it...who green lighted those stories? Tomlin as Co-EP, Corday, The network....all of those deserve credit for how awful the show got too....and those are also the same idiots running the show now, or writing it....I am worried and if you think Days is on fire based on solely last weeks shows then we have an even bigger issue.....unless they continue to only showcase Bristen/Jarlena...everything else seemed like it was more of the same crap and just another day.
what you are saying is speculation about backstage gossip that is no proof of that. I am taking the show as is tomlin was ep. Again they are not the same stories. I do not think everything is perfect but I am enjoying the show. I am sorry that you are not. I see you are a lumi fan frankly Iwould have preferred sami with lucas too but that does not mean because one thing I want to happen did not that I am leaving the show. days is my favorite show it is the only soap that I look forward too and I look at all four shows. Eileen sighned a 5year contract and tomlin brought her on so i doubt she is going anywhere. I have looked at all the soaps and I have had favorites and my favorites have been kicked to the curb because I support soap operas. During mar dar's reign this show was getting on my nerves it is not anymore. people are connected to each other better. When will came out where was the scene with his uncle austin and aunt carrie. The wedding involves the families which is fun for me plus kristen and brady.
Who says I'm leaving the show because one thing I want isn't happening? Seriously now? You don't know me enough to make assumptions about my viewing habits just because I have an avi or signature banner, so please don't do that. I have watched this show pretty consistently since well before high school and just because my favorites aren't featured doesn't mean I don't like some aspects of what is currently playing out or that I'll leave the show if they aren't featured. I'm not saying that I haven't left the show before, I have and it was only after every character that once held me to the show little by little were written out. That isn't the case this time around, and I've never said it is...so where you are getting that from I don't know.

Also, where did you read that Eileen signed a 5 year deal? Can you please link that article as nothing I've read says anything to that effect.

Again...the show for the most part is telling the same stories that it was telling in 2010/2011. That doesn't mean that you don't enjoy it, or you can't...it just means that I don't. That's fine though, as we can express our differences here, that's what a message board is for.
I was not attacking you and I defend your right to your opinion. Ifeel as if I am getting attacked just for supporting days and the head writers. I am new but I started to post because I liked the board but I am feeling very unwelcome. I also explained my comment about leaving the show

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 6 2013, 09:43 PM
darraholic
Jan 6 2013, 09:42 PM
It was probably kooky Kola ghostwriting y'all.
That's the third time in this thread. If she shows up, I"m blaming you.
I hope she does. It's been a bit slow

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

knots
Jan 7 2013, 03:54 PM
LuvingLumi
knots
LuvingLumi

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Who says I'm leaving the show because one thing I want isn't happening? Seriously now? You don't know me enough to make assumptions about my viewing habits just because I have an avi or signature banner, so please don't do that. I have watched this show pretty consistently since well before high school and just because my favorites aren't featured doesn't mean I don't like some aspects of what is currently playing out or that I'll leave the show if they aren't featured. I'm not saying that I haven't left the show before, I have and it was only after every character that once held me to the show little by little were written out. That isn't the case this time around, and I've never said it is...so where you are getting that from I don't know.

Also, where did you read that Eileen signed a 5 year deal? Can you please link that article as nothing I've read says anything to that effect.

Again...the show for the most part is telling the same stories that it was telling in 2010/2011. That doesn't mean that you don't enjoy it, or you can't...it just means that I don't. That's fine though, as we can express our differences here, that's what a message board is for.
I was not attacking you and I defend your right to your opinion. Ifeel as if I am getting attacked just for supporting days and the head writers. I am new but I started to post because I liked the board but I am feeling very unwelcome. I also explained my comment about leaving the show
I think I posted my second post before you explained what you meant. Maybe in the future, just express yourself without quoting someone. The minute you quote someone and say things like

Quote:

I see you are a lumi fan frankly I would have preferred sami with lucas too but that does not mean because one thing I want to happen did not that I am leaving the show.

or this

Quote:

Again they are not the same stories. I do not think everything is perfect but I am enjoying the show. I am sorry that you are not.

It makes it look like you were speaking about me specifically. BTW, I never said I didn't like the show now. There are some things I do like. Since you are new to the board, you might have not read how I have been vocal about how much I'm enjoying Bristen, but I've also said that probably my enjoyment of them will soon come to an end because I see the story climaxing and then there will be nothing left for me to get out of the story, especially if they take Marlena and John out of it, as has already been spoiled. I also like the Wabi story and how it affects Wilson. I'm also a fan of Ericole and I've voiced that too and look forward to what might be a good story there. As far as everything else, I don't find much happiness in stories that feature the overused Sami/Ej/Rafe/Dan/Jen and I still don't think TomSell are a good fit for Days period. That is my personal opinion, which you have a right to feel differently about....no problem at all, it's why I enjoy Daytime Royalty so much, we seem to all differ from time to time and still at times we find common ground on other things.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

knots
Jan 7 2013, 12:05 PM
lysie
Jan 7 2013, 11:57 AM
knots
Jan 7 2013, 11:45 AM
I read on one of the sites when she first came on that she had a signed a 5 year contract. I can't remember now. Also Lysie I did not say you were leaving the show. I was not referring to anyone in particular. I was just hearing in general on other sites that because jack, or bo or whoever was not on the show they were leaving it. I was saying that is not my response. One of my favorite soap characters was laura on gh when they wrote her off I was upset but I still supported the show. Of course an ep is involved with story but I was responding to the backstage scenario that lovinglumi wrote which I would need more evidence of in order to use as proof of anything. I am sorrysome of you are not enjoying the show. I do not like every storyline but I do not like every story of any show. But I like most of what is going on and I fully support the writing team. If you do not that you opinion I may not agree with it but I support to the death your right to have it. About eileen remember sony own both dool and y& r it might have to do with the two shows.
I'm pretty positive she doesn't have a five year contract.
I may have been wrong about that but that is not the main point of my post. I did read it I just do not remeber where. It could be a contract that says she goes back to young and the restless if days is cancelled. But I did read it.
Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

For example,

Lysie had a steamy affair with Brady and tried to kill Chloe so she could have Parker all to herself.

Just because I wrote that doesn't make it true, although I wouldn't be surprised, so unless they actually have a source don't believe it.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

darraholic
Jan 7 2013, 04:59 PM
knots
lysie
knots
I read on one of the sites when she first came on that she had a signed a 5 year contract. I can't remember now. Also Lysie I did not say you were leaving the show. I was not referring to anyone in particular. I was just hearing in general on other sites that because jack, or bo or whoever was not on the show they were leaving it. I was saying that is not my response. One of my favorite soap characters was laura on gh when they wrote her off I was upset but I still supported the show. Of course an ep is involved with story but I was responding to the backstage scenario that lovinglumi wrote which I would need more evidence of in order to use as proof of anything. I am sorrysome of you are not enjoying the show. I do not like every storyline but I do not like every story of any show. But I like most of what is going on and I fully support the writing team. If you do not that you opinion I may not agree with it but I support to the death your right to have it. About eileen remember sony own both dool and y& r it might have to do with the two shows.
I may have been wrong about that but that is not the main point of my post. I did read it I just do not remeber where. It could be a contract that says she goes back to young and the restless if days is cancelled. But I did read it.

For example,

Lysie had a steamy affair with Brady and tried to kill Chloe so she could have Parker all to herself.

Just because I wrote that doesn't make it true, although I wouldn't be surprised, so unless they actually have a source don't believe it.
Go on Lysie! Go on Girl! :rockon:

annie21

knots
LuvingLumi
knots
LuvingLumi

Sorry you're feeling unwelcome. I've seen some people support and agree with points your making, while others have taken issue with particular points or facts. It happens. People are just asking you to cite your sources, because length of contract is just one of the many things that are keenly scrutinized and followed and talked about on this board.

Anyway, I hope you stick around. You say that you "fully support this writing team," which I find intriguing, because I just find it so hard to fathom, lol! So it will be interesting to see and hear about a point of view that is so completly opposite from my own. But, writing team aside, there may be other things we can agree upon, so, like I said, I hope you feel up to posting again.

lysie
Member Avatar

darraholic
knots
lysie
knots

For example,

I can confirm most of this. I didn't kill her though. But you'll notice she returns with a Fake Parker. Wonder why...

knots

annie21
Jan 7 2013, 05:42 PM
knots
LuvingLumi
knots

Sorry you're feeling unwelcome. I've seen some people support and agree with points your making, while others have taken issue with particular points or facts. It happens. People are just asking you to cite your sources, because length of contract is just one of the many things that are keenly scrutinized and followed and talked about on this board.

Anyway, I hope you stick around. You say that you "fully support this writing team," which I find intriguing, because I just find it so hard to fathom, lol! So it will be interesting to see and hear about a point of view that is so completly opposite from my own. But, writing team aside, there may be other things we can agree upon, so, like I said, I hope you feel up to posting again.
I said I did not remember and I conceded that the info may have been wrong. Also I myself said I needed evidence about tomlins major interference with higley. I know about citing sources I teach English for a living. Plus I am writing an academic paper on the show at an academic conference. I did not mean everybody on the board.
Edited by knots, Jan 7 2013, 06:56 PM.

knots

I am writing on my phone and I cannot edit my post. I meant to say I am writing a paper.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

talbab1994
Jan 7 2013, 05:01 PM
darraholic
knots
lysie

For example,

Go on Lysie! Go on Girl! :rockon:
Pfft... Lysie doesn't have all of Brady you know! 😜

knots

I do not believe everything I hear on the internet and I conceded that I could have been wrong. It was also a minor point in what I said.

six
Member Avatar

knots
Jan 7 2013, 06:10 PM
annie21
Jan 7 2013, 05:42 PM
knots
LuvingLumi

I said I did not remember and I conceded that the info may have been wrong. Also I myself said I needed evidence about tomlins major interference with higley. I know about citing sources I teach English for a living. Plus I writing an academic paper on the show at an academic conference. I did not mean everybody on the board.
The reason I can't buy that Tomlin was writing the show in 2010 is that the show is good, now. There's room for improvement, but it's leaps and bounds above Higley's work.

annie21

See? I can't agree that the show is good now at all. It may arguably be better than Higley's era in some respects, but it's still pretty abysmal, imo.

If things seem better now, then it may be because Tomlin doesn't have himself to deal with. By that, I mean that there seemed to be tension between Higley and Tomlin during much of that time as if they were jostling for position. We heard. for example, that Tomlin was pushing his favorites, like GG. And that may not have been how Higley would have preferred it. Now, he is free to pursue his agenda-driven stories without that kind of conflict.

In addition, Higley was at least somewhat backed by Corday, but not necessarily free from network interference. This time, Tomlin seems to have the backing of the network via Bruce Evans, and Corday/Meng are relatively in a weakened position. Again, Tomlin seems to have freer reign, at least for now.

Still, with all that freedom, he hasn't done anything to bring up the ratings, which continue to bump along in a generally downward trend, and often are tied with or worse than MarDar's. He hasn't done anything stellar or exciting to improve the overall show, but rather has basically taken things back to the Higley era and is bringing those same stories back around. Of the four main stories on air now, three of them were started or ongoing under Higley: Dannifer, WilSon/Gabi, and the neverending triangle. The only real difference is the return of Kristen, and I can't give him credit for that idea, because it apparently was imposed upon him by Sony. Maybe we can credit him with the return of Eric, but that return hasn't really gone anywhere, so it's hard to tell.

knots

annie21
Jan 7 2013, 07:11 PM
See? I can't agree that the show is good now at all. It may arguably be better than Higley's era in some respects, but it's still pretty abysmal, imo.

If things seem better now, then it may be because Tomlin doesn't have himself to deal with. By that, I mean that there seemed to be tension between Higley and Tomlin during much of that time as if they were jostling for position. We heard. for example, that Tomlin was pushing his favorites, like GG. And that may not have been how Higley would have preferred it. Now, he is free to pursue his agenda-driven stories without that kind of conflict.

In addition, Higley was at least somewhat backed by Corday, but not necessarily free from network interference. This time, Tomlin seems to have the backing of the network via Bruce Evans, and Corday/Meng are relatively in a weakened position. Again, Tomlin seems to have freer reign, at least for now.

Still, with all that freedom, he hasn't done anything to bring up the ratings, which continue to bump along in a generally downward trend, and often are tied with or worse than MarDar's. He hasn't done anything stellar or exciting to improve the overall show, but rather has basically taken things back to the Higley era and is bringing those same stories back around. Of the four main stories on air now, three of them were started or ongoing under Higley: Dannifer, WilSon/Gabi, and the neverending triangle. The only real difference is the return of Kristen, and I can't give him credit for that idea, because it apparently was imposed upon him by Sony. Maybe we can credit him with the return of Eric, but that return hasn't really gone anywhere, so it's hard to tell.

Where are your sources? We heard are not sources. THere is no evidence for any of this backstage antics that you all seem to know in detail based on rumor and gossip.

annie21

knots
Jan 7 2013, 07:15 PM
annie21

Where are your sources? We heard are not sources. THere is no evidence for any of this backstage antics that you all seem to know in detail based on rumor and gossip.
LOL! Maybe I should rethink the olive branch I extended to you in my previous post.

You're right. We don't have a crystal clear picture of what happens behind the scenes. I'm basing my opinion and speculation (which is what my post was) on a hodgepodge of interview statements made by actors, producers, and executives over the last 2-3 years, as well as other sources like Dena's blog entries (some of which were subsequently deleted) and various tweets, FB postings, and press releases.

My view that the stories being aired now are basically extensions of ones started in September 2011, and that Tomlin has his favorites, isn't just my opinion, but I suppose one could argue differently.

As for my assertions about the ratings, those are more readily sourced, as the numbers are available on the internet and are posted here in another thread on this board.

Bottom line, I was disagreeing with an assertion that the show is good now -- an opinion -- by asserting my own opinion that it is not good now.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I will get excited about this when I see news of a "Reboot Number 3". Because with this current writing team... I have no excitement about this.

And for the love of all that is holy... STOP taping 3 months ahead!!!!

knots

annie21
Jan 7 2013, 07:32 PM
knots
Jan 7 2013, 07:15 PM
annie21

LOL! Maybe I should rethink the olive branch I extended to you in my previous post.

You're right. We don't have a crystal clear picture of what happens behind the scenes. I'm basing my opinion and speculation (which is what my post was) on a hodgepodge of interview statements made by actors, producers, and executives over the last 2-3 years, as well as other sources like Dena's blog entries (some of which were subsequently deleted) and various tweets, FB postings, and press releases.

My view that the stories being aired now are basically extensions of ones started in September 2011, and that Tomlin has his favorites, isn't just my opinion, but I suppose one could argue differently.

As for my assertions about the ratings, those are more readily sourced, as the numbers are available on the internet and are posted here in another thread on this board.

Bottom line, I was disagreeing with an assertion that the show is good now -- an opinion -- by asserting my own opinion that it is not good now.

It is fine. I guess what I am saying is that a lot of people say things on messageboards based on things they have heard or read that they cannot really source and to make a huge issue out of it is not worth it. As a reader you can decide to take it for what it is or not. :D

Dany_E

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I frequently am, but the headwriter's job is to lay out the basic story structure. He/she doesn't actually write breakdowns or daily scripts. If that's true, then, given that the current stories are, to a great degree, a rehash of the same stories that were happening during the Tomlin/Higley era (if better executed now in terms of dialogue and pacing), I think it makes sense to believe that Tomlin, more than Higley was doing most of the headwriting when they were both employed together.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply