Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (10,148 Views)
knots

Dany_E
Jan 7 2013, 07:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I frequently am, but the headwriter's job is to lay out the basic story structure. He/she doesn't actually write breakdowns or daily scripts. If that's true, then, given that the current stories are, to a great degree, a rehash of the same stories that were happening during the Tomlin/Higley era (if better executed now in terms of dialogue and pacing), I think it makes sense to believe that Tomlin, more than Higley was doing most of the headwriting when they were both employed together.
Tomlin was the executive producer and the executive producer is connected to every aspect of the show. But the headwriters were christopher whitesell and dena higley. Christoopher whitesell is back with gary tomlin as headwriter.
Edited by knots, Jan 7 2013, 07:54 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

knots
Jan 7 2013, 07:38 PM
annie21
Jan 7 2013, 07:32 PM
knots
Jan 7 2013, 07:15 PM
annie21
Jan 7 2013, 07:11 PM
See? I can't agree that the show is good now at all. It may arguably be better than Higley's era in some respects, but it's still pretty abysmal, imo.

If things seem better now, then it may be because Tomlin doesn't have himself to deal with. By that, I mean that there seemed to be tension between Higley and Tomlin during much of that time as if they were jostling for position. We heard. for example, that Tomlin was pushing his favorites, like GG. And that may not have been how Higley would have preferred it. Now, he is free to pursue his agenda-driven stories without that kind of conflict.

In addition, Higley was at least somewhat backed by Corday, but not necessarily free from network interference. This time, Tomlin seems to have the backing of the network via Bruce Evans, and Corday/Meng are relatively in a weakened position. Again, Tomlin seems to have freer reign, at least for now.

Still, with all that freedom, he hasn't done anything to bring up the ratings, which continue to bump along in a generally downward trend, and often are tied with or worse than MarDar's. He hasn't done anything stellar or exciting to improve the overall show, but rather has basically taken things back to the Higley era and is bringing those same stories back around. Of the four main stories on air now, three of them were started or ongoing under Higley: Dannifer, WilSon/Gabi, and the neverending triangle. The only real difference is the return of Kristen, and I can't give him credit for that idea, because it apparently was imposed upon him by Sony. Maybe we can credit him with the return of Eric, but that return hasn't really gone anywhere, so it's hard to tell.

Where are your sources? We heard are not sources. THere is no evidence for any of this backstage antics that you all seem to know in detail based on rumor and gossip.
LOL! Maybe I should rethink the olive branch I extended to you in my previous post.

You're right. We don't have a crystal clear picture of what happens behind the scenes. I'm basing my opinion and speculation (which is what my post was) on a hodgepodge of interview statements made by actors, producers, and executives over the last 2-3 years, as well as other sources like Dena's blog entries (some of which were subsequently deleted) and various tweets, FB postings, and press releases.

My view that the stories being aired now are basically extensions of ones started in September 2011, and that Tomlin has his favorites, isn't just my opinion, but I suppose one could argue differently.

As for my assertions about the ratings, those are more readily sourced, as the numbers are available on the internet and are posted here in another thread on this board.

Bottom line, I was disagreeing with an assertion that the show is good now -- an opinion -- by asserting my own opinion that it is not good now.

It is fine. I guess what I am saying is that a lot of people say things on messageboards based on things they have heard or read that they cannot really source and to make a huge issue out of it is not worth it. As a reader you can decide to take it for what it is or not. :D
It was all well documented over the summer. Unfortunately, it was mostly through social media which makes it harder to go back and find.

annie21

knots
Jan 7 2013, 07:38 PM
annie21
Jan 7 2013, 07:32 PM
knots
Jan 7 2013, 07:15 PM
annie21
See? I can't agree that the show is good now at all. It may arguably be better than Higley's era in some respects, but it's still pretty abysmal, imo.

If things seem better now, then it may be because Tomlin doesn't have himself to deal with. By that, I mean that there seemed to be tension between Higley and Tomlin during much of that time as if they were jostling for position. We heard. for example, that Tomlin was pushing his favorites, like GG. And that may not have been how Higley would have preferred it. Now, he is free to pursue his agenda-driven stories without that kind of conflict.

In addition, Higley was at least somewhat backed by Corday, but not necessarily free from network interference. This time, Tomlin seems to have the backing of the network via Bruce Evans, and Corday/Meng are relatively in a weakened position. Again, Tomlin seems to have freer reign, at least for now.

Still, with all that freedom, he hasn't done anything to bring up the ratings, which continue to bump along in a generally downward trend, and often are tied with or worse than MarDar's. He hasn't done anything stellar or exciting to improve the overall show, but rather has basically taken things back to the Higley era and is bringing those same stories back around. Of the four main stories on air now, three of them were started or ongoing under Higley: Dannifer, WilSon/Gabi, and the neverending triangle. The only real difference is the return of Kristen, and I can't give him credit for that idea, because it apparently was imposed upon him by Sony. Maybe we can credit him with the return of Eric, but that return hasn't really gone anywhere, so it's hard to tell.

Where are your sources? We heard are not sources. THere is no evidence for any of this backstage antics that you all seem to know in detail based on rumor and gossip.
LOL! Maybe I should rethink the olive branch I extended to you in my previous post.

You're right. We don't have a crystal clear picture of what happens behind the scenes. I'm basing my opinion and speculation (which is what my post was) on a hodgepodge of interview statements made by actors, producers, and executives over the last 2-3 years, as well as other sources like Dena's blog entries (some of which were subsequently deleted) and various tweets, FB postings, and press releases.

My view that the stories being aired now are basically extensions of ones started in September 2011, and that Tomlin has his favorites, isn't just my opinion, but I suppose one could argue differently.

As for my assertions about the ratings, those are more readily sourced, as the numbers are available on the internet and are posted here in another thread on this board.

Bottom line, I was disagreeing with an assertion that the show is good now -- an opinion -- by asserting my own opinion that it is not good now.

It is fine. I guess what I am saying is that a lot of people say things on messageboards based on things they have heard or read that they cannot really source and to make a huge issue out of it is not worth it. As a reader you can decide to take it for what it is or not. :D
I understand your point. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my original post.

I don't think people on this board demand sources for every single post or every single assertion. But when it comes to things like length of contract, about which there's a lot of keen interest here, then many are curious to know where the information came from. Three things that may be helpful to know as context: (a) when it was first annouced that Eileen was coming to Days, the subject of her contract was discussed at length, and people were scouring all the interviews and messages for clues. No one seemed to know for sure. So the fact that you did seem to know for sure stood out; (b) a five-year contract seems really long, especially these days. We mostly hear about 1-2 year contracts -- maybe three. So again, the number stood out as unusual and posed a question mark; (c) there's this amazing guy named Jason who is like a guru for Days statistics (and all manor of facts and dates and such). He regularly posts his estimates here of contract dates based on information he's gathered. So when your info seemed to be different from what we'd heard from him, again, there were some who questioned it.

As for me, I don't think contracts mean that much since TPTB can fire anyone at any time, as they did with the returned vets as soon as Tomlin arrived back on the set. (Hence, one of the many, MANY reasons I'm no fan of either him or Whitesell.)

Nate
Member Avatar

Why don't give the DAYS cast a 1 1/2 month break? Damn... it could writers more time to plan and actually use their brain..

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

annie21

Well to be fair about Eric, he's only been back a month and a half. And given the nature of his storyline (and his past history with Nicole) I can understand why they're taking their time with it.
But I do agree with the rest of your post. :)
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Jan 7 2013, 08:24 PM.

knots

Social media is not a well documented source either. That is still people's opinions and gossip. An official source is an interview with the parties involved on the record. other than that it is not a well documented source.

lysie
Member Avatar

knots
Jan 7 2013, 08:25 PM
Social media is not a well documented source either. That is still people's opinions and gossip. An official source is an interview with the parties involved on the record. other than that it is not a well documented source.
And many of them choose to do those interviews through social media. ;) I know what a well documented source is. That's kind of what we do.

six
Member Avatar

I think the argument that we're seeing the same stories DH did is only true in the most shallow sense. Yes a lot of the same people that interacted in the HigSell era are interacting now, but that's generally the way all soaps work, across every regime. Back in Higley's day, it seemed like stories would frequently take turns that made no sense at all, the show would constantly force one character, or a character would descend into OTT mustache twirling evil... Everything seems a lot more balanced overall, now.

I do think that TomSell's take on some of the character personalities is incorrect, but at least once they choose a personality they stick with it, instead of changing things up week to week.
Edited by six, Jan 7 2013, 08:45 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jan 7 2013, 08:40 PM
I think the argument that we're seeing the same stories DH did is only true in the most shallow sense. Yes a lot of the same people that interacted in the HigSell era are interacting now, but that's generally the way all soaps work, across every regime. Back in Higley's day, it seemed like stories would frequently take turns that made no sense at all, the show would constantly force one character, or a character would descend into OTT mustache twirling evil... Everything seems a lot more balanced overall, now.
I agree that there's better balance. To me, the main standouts in repeats from the Higley era are Dannifer, WilSon/Gabi, and Danloe to a point. Those three (two) stories seem to have just rewound and gone back to where they were before. I don't think everyone else is in the same place. I mean, EJSAMIRAFE are but that probably won't change until at least one of them is gone.

knots

lysie
Jan 7 2013, 08:28 PM
knots
And many of them choose to do those interviews through social media. ;) I know what a well documented source is. That's kind of what we do.

If they did the interview through social media then it is a source but since no one can tell me where the backstage shenagians come from I personally cannot take it as a credible source. Most of social media is rumor and gossip that is why I tell my students to be careful when they use it in a formal paper. When I was writing my dissertation I had to be careful as well. Like for my paper I would need a much more credible source to use it in my paper
Edited by knots, Jan 7 2013, 08:44 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

knots
Jan 7 2013, 08:42 PM
lysie
knots

If they did the interview through social media then it is a source but since no one can tell me where the backstage shenagians come from I personally cannot take it as a credible source. Most of social media is rumor and gossip that is why I tell my students to be careful when they use it in a formal paper. When I was writing my dissertation I had to careful as well. Like for my paper I would need a much more credible source to use it in my paper.
We're not writing papers, and most of us all read the same stuff so we don't have to cite it for one another. When someone says something we don't recognize, we ask. I'm not going back through every single interview for one person who also hasn't gone back and found for me where ED has a five year contract. The main "source" was Dena's blogs which she took down. His involvement is fact. What's not fact is how involved he was and at which points.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
six
I agree that there's better balance. To me, the main standouts in repeats from the Higley era are Dannifer, WilSon/Gabi, and Danloe to a point. Those three (two) stories seem to have just rewound and gone back to where they were before. I don't think everyone else is in the same place. I mean, EJSAMIRAFE are but that probably won't change until at least one of them is gone.
What was Gabi even doing in 2011? The last thing I remember was her breaking up with Will. I do have a feeling the other writers wanted a wabi baby, but since it never got off the ground and they incorporated MarDar's history into it, I don't really see it as a rehash. I have an idea about where Danloe is going, so that might be a repeat of the semi triangle Dannifer had going with Carly, but the introduction of Parker should shake things up.

knots

lysie
Jan 7 2013, 08:51 PM
knots
lysie
knots

If they did the interview through social media then it is a source but since no one can tell me where the backstage shenagians come from I personally cannot take it as a credible source. Most of social media is rumor and gossip that is why I tell my students to be careful when they use it in a formal paper. When I was writing my dissertation I had to careful as well. Like for my paper I would need a much more credible source to use it in my paper.
We're not writing papers, and most of us all read the same stuff so we don't have to cite it for one another. When someone says something we don't recognize, we ask. I'm not going back through every single interview for one person who also hasn't gone back and found for me where ED has a five year contract. The main "source" was Dena's blogs which she took down. His involvement is fact. What's not fact is how involved he was and at which points.

I do not understand your hostility towards me I simply said why I do not believe it to be credible and I said myself that i ceded the thing on eileen davidson so I do not have to source it because I said I could have been wrong. I have a right to believe something is credible or not and to give my opinion on it. If you do not agree you can say so or not respond. To me if Dena took down her blogs it must mean she knew she could get sued for defamation and that maybe all she said was not factual. If it is factual you can defend yourself.
Edited by knots, Jan 7 2013, 09:00 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jan 7 2013, 08:57 PM
lysie
six
What was Gabi even doing in 2011? The last thing I remember was her breaking up with Will. I do have a feeling the other writers wanted a wabi baby, but since it never got off the ground and they incorporated MarDar's history into it, I don't really see it as a rehash. I have an idea about where Danloe is going, so that might be a repeat of the semi triangle Dannifer had going with Carly, but the introduction of Parker should shake things up.
Rehash may be the wrong term. Picking up where they left off. And they left off with her and Will sleeping together for the first time and him not feeling right about something.

lysie
Member Avatar

knots
Jan 7 2013, 08:57 PM
lysie
Jan 7 2013, 08:51 PM
knots
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I do not understand your hostility towards me I simply said why I do not believe it to be credible and I said myself that i ceded the thing on eileen davidson so I do not have to source it because I said I could have been wrong. I have a right to believe something is credible or not and to give my opinion on it. If you do not agree you can say so or not respond. To me if Dena took down her blogs it must mean she knew she could get sued for defamation and that maybe all she said was not factual. If it is factual you can defend yourself.
Well, I thought you were the one being hostile to a few of us, lol. Let's just stop this particular portion of the conversation.

knots

well, I just want to make a statement I was not being hostile to anyone I just have a particular view about repeating backstage gossip and rumor as fact and since I did not read dena's blogs that is the way it came across to me. And even if I had read her blogs it was one side of the story. I feel the same about Chrystal chappel. She is telling one side of the story for me to have accurate account I would have had to have been there or hear kristian's side of what went on. I simply came on this board because I was so happy about dool and I am loving the show right now. I curse the moment I mentioned Eileen davidson's contract because clearly it rubbed some of you all the wrong way. Let me make this clear I concede the point. Acutally I wish I had never posted at all on this subject. I try very hard in my posts not to attack anyone personally because I do not know you personally. I wish everyone on here well and I hope whatever you want from dool you get it. Soaps have been my pleasure since I was six years old and I want them to stay on television as long as possible and I will support every soap because the alernataive is crap.
Edited by knots, Jan 7 2013, 09:36 PM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

:headbang:

lysie
Member Avatar

Anyway, did anyone else see this today? The spokesperson is the same one who commented on Days. I first saw it at Jezebel and their automatic assumption was that the guy was full of it. His statement about Community is pretty similar to his statement about Days.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/up-all-night-news.html

blueskies
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 7 2013, 09:34 PM
Anyway, did anyone else see this today? The spokesperson is the same one who commented on Days. I first saw it at Jezebel and their automatic assumption was that the guy was full of it. His statement about Community is pretty similar to his statement about Days.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/up-all-night-news.html
if i didn't know better I'd think they're setting this guy up as the fall guy when all these shows get canned :huh:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

That, or maybe they just don't want fan campaigns mailing a bunch of crap to the studio. Days fans, Community fans...I get the sense they're similarly passionate people. Smarter to be optimistic until the last second and kill the show.

Bonus- the network is the optimistic party, right? So if they just can't come to an agreement, well, it's not like they didn't want things to work out.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply