Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Line: NBC Boss Addresses Days of Our Lives Future; 'It's Not Going Anywhere'
Topic Started: Jan 6 2013, 02:46 PM (10,026 Views)
bomber
Member Avatar

At the end of the day NBC have got nothing to replace Days with. if some new amazingly original reality show concept comes along I could see them cancelling it but until then it's safe. Talk shows are the only viable alternative and they're rating lower than soaps.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

Well if NBC has payed any attention to ABC and how well one of their "replacement shows" worked out... they would think twice about cancelling DAYS! Granted those talk shows and cooking shows may be cheaper to make. But in the long run when they keep having to come up with new show ideas every 6 months to replace the ones that are bombing. It just seems smarter to to stick with what works, and make CHANGES to that! IMO
Edited by Tammy, Jan 7 2013, 10:52 PM.

Ireland98

Did anyone else think that it was odd to release a press statement just saying that they "think" Days is going to stick around?
To me it seems more of like a warning. As in, this is a critical period for Days and you better watch, or else....
But then again, the failure of talk shows/other daytime programming and the re-emergence of AMC & OLTL does help.

It just seems convenient that Days is releasing this press statement at the same time that ratings are very low and are also nearing the renewal date.
I support Days, but if they get better writers, then I'll support it even more. For the most part Days has been difficult for me to watch since TomSell took over. There's been some highlights, but mostly just WTFery.
Rehiring Tomlin, a person that was previously fired due to bad ratings, is just mind boggling to me... :shrug:
It just all comes down to the writing. If GH can rebound, then so can Days!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I LOVE Community and I used to LOVE DAYS...but both shows have very very poor ratings....I am shocked that NBC is even considering keeping both to be honest.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

bomber
Jan 7 2013, 10:46 PM
At the end of the day NBC have got nothing to replace Days with. if some new amazingly original reality show concept comes along I could see them cancelling it but until then it's safe. Talk shows are the only viable alternative and they're rating lower than soaps.
You're probably right.

Stupid question time- would they benefit by just giving the hour back to the affiliates, who could fill it with infomercials or reruns of primetime shows or whatever they wanted? I've never been very clear on how all that works, but couldn't they dump Days and not really have to stress too much about what takes its place?

annie21

Tammy
Jan 7 2013, 10:51 PM
Well if NBC has payed any attention to ABC and how well one of their "replacement shows" worked out... they would think twice about cancelling DAYS! Granted those talk shows and cooking shows may be cheaper to make. But in the long run when they keep having to come up with new show ideas every 6 months to replace the ones that are bombing. It just seems smarter to to stick with what works, and make CHANGES to that! IMO
This is true. And I think that cautionary tale is what has helped keep Days on the air. As others have pointed out, NBC doesn't have anything viable to put in its place.

Now, if only NBC would learn from another ABC experience -- what they did with their last remaining soap GH. They gave it a challenge that lit a fire under them. They allowed the show to bring in an EP and a writer who were highly motivated to not only save the show from cancellation, but also to bring back some of what made it great in the first place. GH has found more than half a million viewers that conventional wisdom would have said were gone forever.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And GH still has viewers that are bitching about the show being destroyed and want said EP & HW's heads on a spike.

annie21

That's very true. I would think that especially the Sonny/Carly/Jason fans are not thrilled. But when I visit the boards, I see a shift. There used to be constant complaining and moping about the status of the show, with very little praise. Now, that has flipped. There is much more praise and general optimism to counter the complaints. Meanwhile, the ratings tell us that a growing number of people are choosing to tune in, so the net overall effect is still positive, imo.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Matt
Jan 8 2013, 01:03 AM
And GH still has viewers that are bitching about the show being destroyed and want said EP & HW's heads on a spike.
The complainers can go get The Sopranos on DVD or maybe Netflix if they need a mob fix..... :hmmph:

tylerbo20

when the renewal is announced it wont be long before there is a new writing team announced mark my words...NBC is looking at what ABC has done lately

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Jan 8 2013, 01:22 AM
Matt
The complainers can go get The Sopranos on DVD or maybe Netflix if they need a mob fix..... :hmmph:
It's possible to dislike both Guza and Carlivati's writing.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Matt
I don't think the show is all that awesome, honestly. It has it's good moments to be sure. I think RC and FV did a good thing by bringing back the vets that they have, and they have made the pacing better and more spread thought the cast. But I really don't think they did themselves to many favors by bringing so many OLTL characters to GH. Some hardcore GH fans probably felt like like they were trying to turn GH in OLTL 2.0

Evan
Member Avatar

I still think NBC won't renew DAYS

dragonflies
Member Avatar

Quote:

Days currently ranks last in the ratings among the four remaining soaps, averaging 2.3 million viewers. It recently tied an all-time in women 18-49 (0.7).

Uhm yeah this right here is why i don't believe a word of this, I can't imagine NBC is all too happy with these ratings

"I think" doesn't exactly inspire confidence

Dany_E

annie21
Jan 8 2013, 12:49 AM
Tammy
This is true. And I think that cautionary tale is what has helped keep Days on the air. As others have pointed out, NBC doesn't have anything viable to put in its place.

Now, if only NBC would learn from another ABC experience -- what they did with their last remaining soap GH. They gave it a challenge that lit a fire under them. They allowed the show to bring in an EP and a writer who were highly motivated to not only save the show from cancellation, but also to bring back some of what made it great in the first place. GH has found more than half a million viewers that conventional wisdom would have said were gone forever.

The talk shows are cheap though so the ratings can be small but the network doesn't run at a loss.

I wonder if someone has finally managed to capture online viewership numbers? Fewer and fewer people watch "TV" anymore. Those Neilsen numbers are just TV numbers, aren't they?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

Dany_E
Jan 8 2013, 01:18 PM
I wonder if someone has finally managed to capture online viewership numbers? Fewer and fewer people watch "TV" anymore. Those Neilsen numbers are just TV numbers, aren't they?
They're not even just "television" numbers -- they're "numbers from a select group of people across the country who have boxes set up in their homes to report their viewing habits (or, alternatively, have agreed to list their viewing habits in journals of sorts)".

In other words, unless you are a "Nielsen family", your viewing habits are not actually influencing the ratings at all. They simply take statistics from a select group of people and make estimates based on those statistics. The Nielsen ratings system is notoriously archaic and lame, but, unfortunately, that's what they've chosen to use, and it's the only game in town, so to speak.

They do have ways to measure online viewing, to an extent, and they do measure DVR viewing (still only in a select number of homes, though -- I'm not saying that you're automatically a Nielsen family just because you have a DVR; instead, what I'm saying is that if a Nielsen family, for instance, taped a week's worth of Days episodes and watched all five episodes on Saturday night, as opposed to watching them live each day, that would be reflected in a different rating known as Live + 7 [airdate + the first seven days after the airdate]), but the live statistics are the ones that truly matter.

Oh, and SoapNet's nightly airings (and weekend marathons) of Days probably dilute the show's ratings even further, but the same can also be said for Y&R and GH.
Edited by Will&Sonny, Jan 8 2013, 08:50 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Dany_E
Jan 8 2013, 01:18 PM
annie21
Jan 8 2013, 12:49 AM
Tammy

The talk shows are cheap though so the ratings can be small but the network doesn't run at a loss.

I remember a while back they talked about the online ratings. I thought Days was one of the higher ranked soaps online.
Edited by blueskies, Jan 8 2013, 11:28 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

I think it was pretty much even with Y&R and GH online for the last set of numbers that I saw. All three were among the top 5 or 10 television shows overall (probably because they have so many new episodes compared to other shows).

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

Mitchapalooza
Jan 8 2013, 12:08 AM
I LOVE Community and I used to LOVE DAYS...but both shows have very very poor ratings....I am shocked that NBC is even considering keeping both to be honest.
Community doesn't have poor ratings... I think social media proved that when the show was first threatened with cancellation. A lot of fans even occupied NBC at one point. Collectively, this made the network rethink its cancellation decision. The problem isn't ratings, the problem is that we have an outdated ratings method that doesn't provide accurate data.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply