Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Agnes Nixon confirms AMC and OLTL online is a go
Topic Started: Dec 17 2012, 04:45 PM (1,572 Views)
Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Prospect Park Proposed Plans For AMC & OLTL: 30 Minute Episodes, Shooting in Stamford, CT!

As we head towards the New Year more details of Prospect Parkís plan to finally put All My Children and One Life to Live online are coming out or, shall we say, perhaps leaking out?

In the latest issue of Soap Opera Uncensored, Nelson Branco relates that through his inside sources and leaked documents it has have revealed that Prospect Park intends on shooting AMC and OLTL in studio spaces in Stamford, Connecticut, and that sets are currently being designed! In addition, the Prospect Park plan calls for their to be half hour episodes of both shows, with four new episodes a week and a recap show on Fridayís.

The licensing fees between Prospect Park and ABC have also been reportedly revealed by SOU which illustrates that All My Children was valued at half a million more than One Life! Even though, as we know, One Life was performing better in the ratings that AMC in the last few years of both shows network existence.

Additionally, there is an executive summary of the outline of the plans from Prospect Park posted by Branco which apparently contains more details into what Prospect Park powers-that-be Jeff Kwatinetz, Rich Frank, and Mike Lang are thinking and how they are constructing bringing the beloved soaps to the web.

Michael Fairman Soaps

Link

Agnes Nixon's Facebook post:

Dear Friends,
We did it!!
Here is the statement I am about to release to the press.
I am so pleased to share it with YOU first. This could never have happened without your unwavering support.
With deepest gratitude,
... Agnes

We of the One Life to Live and All My Children families are thrilled to bring our beloved viewers new, ongoing stories from Llanview and Pine Valley.

Iím overjoyed that so many actors you love have voiced their desire to bring their characters back to life.

Iím especially grateful to Prospect Park for deploying the power of you, our fans, to enable this exciting transition to dramatic production for the Internet. It's a historic moment, comparable to how life was changed when television took over from radio.

We hope this wonderful opportunity will be embraced by all as our creative teams gear up to bring our beloved serials back to our daily lives.

Agnes Nixon.
Edited by Eric83, Jan 4 2013, 10:28 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
KMan101
Member Avatar

More news, in a sense, though I think most of it's been said before:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/all-my-children-one-life-to-live-revival-update-location-format-fi-core-writers/

Mason
Member Avatar

I would love to be optimistic about this, but even if they did manage to get these shows to the point where they could actually be aired (and that alone is a big 'if'), I just have the sense that it would be last year and a half of Guiding Light level disastrous.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I don't know if I would pay to watch these online. OLTL maybe and only if Bo and Nora were on there. AMC, just no.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Without Valentini and Carlivati I don't see the point.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

If it looks like Bullsh*t and when you drop your feet into Bullsh*t, you are walking in hourse crap.

Eric83
Member Avatar

I am not getting excited over this just yet.

I do wish instead of canceling ABC would have tried to do 30 minute episodes/shooting in CT.

KMan101
Member Avatar

If the networks cared, and appreciated the value their soaps COULD have instead of what they were lacking, they might have. All of us here came up with so many ideas. Half hour, shared production, less cast (maybe more recurring, especially with veterans who want to reduce their workload or are just 'done' but still want to appear), it could have worked.

I know a lot are used to the hour format, but I really really believe half hour is the best way for a daily soap to survive. And besides, an 'hour' soap without commercials is 36 minutes now, if not 35. B&B feels like 15 minutes sometimes, though it's probably 18-20 minutes. And plus, IF these get off the ground, I have to imagine it's easier pushing a soap block for just one hour with two shows compared to two hours with two hour long soaps with bloated casts. JMO.

And, besides Santa Barbara, I think half hour soaps would do better overseas. B&B is huge. Loving was big somewhere, right? Both half hours.

I hope we hear something about Agnes being involved. I think Smith needs to look at the original core families, see who's realistic, who's available, who they could revisit, and build a new core that has familiarty, yet new watchability to draw all kinds of different viewers in. Delivering us the SAME thing is not going to keep these shows around in the future. IMO.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

BalscoFan5
Dec 17 2012, 05:32 PM
I don't wanna get my hopes up again since a lot of those cast members have moved onto other projects.
That's what I was wondering.

My fave, Todd, is on GH now.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I dont really care about Todd. Vicki and Blair on the other hand ...

KMan101
Member Avatar

I'm pretty sure Erika Slezak will do it, especially if it will film in CT.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Both shows had such potential to go somewhere when the deal was initially drawn up. Both endings gave us wanting more. And it seemed like it was the right place to pick back up. A year later, a lot of the actors have moved on, not only in work, but in their personal lives as well. Would any of those AMC actors that moved all the way to LA to continue on the show really be interested in moving back to the east coast, and to Connecticut at that? Doesn't seem likely, at least not to me. Especially for an online show.

I loved both AMC and OLTL right up until the end. They were my favorite soaps on the air at the time. Of course I want to revisit Pine Valley and Llanview to see what everyone is up to. But like I said before, without Broderick and Valentini/Carlivati at the helms, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

The writing worried me much more than the cast. Since the shows are only half hour they'll likely have to cut out certain families and trim the casts anyway. I don't think they'll have trouble coming up with solid casts. I can see each getting enough key vets to anchor it, along with some of the younger actors who've struggled to get work (think of how many we haven't seen since the shows ended!), plus they can throw in some recasts and of course new characters. I'm sure there are out-of-work daytime actors who would jump at the chance to appear. Look at how many people the web soaps dug out.

So cast is nothing to me, it's the writing that scares me. If the writing is bad this just won't work. I don't expect the other stuff to be that bad (directing, sets, production values, cast), but the writing is the big unknown. I wonder why they weren't able to close a deal with the writers guild? This severely limited the pool they can choose from. Hopefully the EPs have some power to pick the headwriters since we know the EPs will have strong soap experience.

King of Hearts
Member Avatar

What about the fates of OLTL characters on GH since Prospect Park own the characters?

I hear Prospect Park contacted the WGA (Writers' Guild Association).

They also have found someone to helm both shows.

Also Vincent Irizarry has signed on to play Dr. David Hayward. I tweeted him about how excited I was and he responded back instead of retweeting. I was super excited lol. I also did that when Lindsay Hartley, Chrishell Stause, and Jordi Vilauso wished me a happy birthday.

Meprincess

I don't care what happens with AMC and OLTL. I won't be watchingI don't even like OLTL.

dooldooldool

Drew
Dec 24 2012, 12:16 AM
CT? Who's going to agree to go there?
With a reduced schedule (40 weeks@4x30 minutes) and DOOL-like taping techniques, this would barely be longer than a movie shoot. Add in a decent sized cast, and actors would likely get only 3-5 weeks of work.

I haven't watched either show since the early 90s, but I hope they give it a shot and that it succeeds. This format seems to move toward a telenovela-type approach.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

That approach is too similar to Port Charles, and we saw how well that works in the event they decide to cancel it. If we're going to be stuck with a cliffhanger ending of sorts I'd take Ron's OLTL ending over some abrupt cancelled-during-studio-darkness ending any day.

And I'm hoping that they take the opportunity while they're doing this great experiment to really play with how they tell a story. If they try to do a bloated cast with the standard American soap story telling in 22 minutes this will fail. They need to really look to the success the UK and overseas have with the format. (Hollyoaks in particular as it combines the best of both worlds IMO, or Home and Away)
Edited by Drew, Dec 31 2012, 12:06 AM.

Eric83
Member Avatar

Agnes Nixon posted this on her Facebook.

Dear Friends,
We did it!!
I am so pleased to share it with YOU first. This could never have happened without your unwavering support.
With deepest gratitude,
... Agnes

We of the One Life to Live and All My Children families are thrilled to bring our beloved viewers new, ongoing stories from Llanview and Pine Valley.

Iím overjoyed that so many actors you love have voiced their desire to bring their characters back to life.

Iím especially grateful to Prospect Park for deploying the power of you, our fans, to enable this exciting transition to dramatic production for the Internet. It's a historic moment, comparable to how life was changed when television took over from radio.

We hope this wonderful opportunity will be embraced by all as our creative teams gear up to bring our beloved serials back to our daily lives.

Agnes Nixon.

Daytime
Member Avatar

Agnes Nixon Confirms AMC/OLTL Relaunch

By SOD ē Posted: Jan 5, 2013

Agnes Nixon, the creator of ALL MY CHILDREN and ONE LIFE TO LIVE, has released a statement regarding the future of her two beloved series, which will be relaunched by Prospect Park. She first posted it on her Facebook page on January 4, with additional comments of gratitude to the shows' fans. Here is the text in full:

Dear Friends,
We did it!!
I am so pleased to share it with YOU first. This could never have happened without your unwavering support. With deepest gratitude,
Agnes

Agnes Nixon January 4, 2013

SOD Web

Daytime
Member Avatar

Debbi Morgan Joins New ALL MY CHILDREN
Emmy-winner Debbi Morgan tweeted the news that she's signed on for Prospect Park's upcoming ALL MY CHILDREN revival.
Ok, I can finally announce how thrilled I am 2 B on board w/the "All My Children" re-boot & Prospect Park! Agnes Nixon, you're my HERO!!!
Morgan played Angie Hubbard on and off for the last 30 years of AMC's run on ABC. She most recently played Harmony on THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.

We love Soaps

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

:)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply