Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spoilers for the week of January 21st; *updated 1/15*
Topic Started: Jan 9 2013, 07:30 AM (48,064 Views)
Dazefan4now
Member Avatar

Everything's better with EJ!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

lysie
Jan 9 2013, 07:30 AM
Nick pressures Will to give up all rights to his baby.
Go away, you piece of shit! :flipoff:

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

Is it too much to ask for Justin and Sonny to be in conflict due to his involvement with Nick? I'd really love Sonny fighting for Will, not to mention both Freddie and Wally need more to do, and some conflict would spice things up! :)
Edited by NocturnalBlondie, Jan 16 2013, 12:54 AM.

appleblossom

Dazefan4now
Jan 16 2013, 12:49 AM
What's better with a reformed sicko! Sami's an idiot! What kind of twisted message is Days sending, cuddle up with a cute, rich guy that once emotionally tortured and raped you!

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

appleblossom
Jan 16 2013, 01:37 AM
Dazefan4now
What's better with a reformed sicko! Sami's an idiot! What kind of twisted message is Days sending, cuddle up with a cute, rich guy that once emotionally tortured and raped you!
The message that you shouldn't rely on soap operas to provide a moral compass? :shrug:

elci525
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 16 2013, 01:42 AM
appleblossom
Dazefan4now
The message that you shouldn't rely on soap operas to provide a moral compass? :shrug:
But viewers can still find the premise upsetting, and that is fair. It doesn't make them fools with misplaced moral compasses (compii??). And viewers want different things from their stories, from fictions they invest in, and this is also ok.

Whatever EJ's intentions were in that scene is irrelevant to me. Looking at the snapshot as it is, with EJ's face as it is, devoid of context, he does look a little creepy and borderline sinister, where a caption like "His plan is working" would be apt. Not that that is what happened or is happening or is going to happen in the show - just that the image as it is rings of that attitude. Which is not a bad attitude for EJ to wear - sinister and calculating. That is how I enjoy him (with gray characteristics mixed in). This is only an opinion and snap reaction.

Sami can have EJ and he she. As I was asking for since last summer, let's just get the show on the road so I don't have to hear again how EJ and Sami never got a story (which still sort of flummoxes me, as when I think over the last few years, seems like it's been nothing but EJ and Sami, but admittedly that might not be an accurate recollection, and I guess that no, they haven't been together together for an extended period of time, and their fans want to see that, which is fair). That at least would be different than more triangle nonsense, not that I would want to tune in that much. But at least it would be different, and allow for different story possibilities that might create new conflict for EJ, Sami or both, and those other characters also tied up in EJ and Sami's s/lines. There is no moving forward until the current repeat cycle ends, so I guess I have to acknowledge that and in some ways crave an at least temporarily permanent pairing. And this is the last I really want to try to comment on that impending relationship, at least until it happens and something very interesting occurs. Let's see if I can keep it up.
Edited by elci525, Jan 16 2013, 02:19 AM.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Jesus, these spoilers... what the hell have they done to Sami and Ej's characters. Unrecognisable from years ago.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

elci525
Jan 16 2013, 02:16 AM
tomsawyer
appleblossom
Dazefan4now
But viewers can still find the premise upsetting, and that is fair. It doesn't make them fools with misplaced moral compasses (compii??). And viewers want different things from their stories, from fictions they invest in, and this is also ok.
Of course they can. People can have whatever opinions they want to have and, no, I don't believe their opinions on soap stories are a reflection of their morals. Nor do I think I implied that with my response.

The poster simply asked what kind of message was Days sending and I think all soaps send pretty much the same message with their constant storylines about baby swapping, bed hopping, and back stabbing. And that message is that they are here to entertain and not to send a moral message. If they ARE trying to send a moral message, they are doing a heinous job at it IMO.

ETA: I should've phrased my original response better to say that "soaps send the message that people shouldn't rely on them to provide a moral compass," as I meant my "you" in the collective sense, not as a reference to the poster.
Edited by tomsawyer, Jan 16 2013, 02:42 AM.

elci525
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 16 2013, 02:31 AM
elci525
tomsawyer
appleblossom

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Of course they can. People can have whatever opinions they want to have and, no, I don't believe their opinions on soap stories are a reflection of their morals. Nor do I think I implied that with my response.

The poster simply asked what kind of message was Days sending and I think all soaps send pretty much the same message with their constant storylines about baby swapping, bed hopping, and back stabbing. And that message is that they are here to entertain and not to send a moral message. If they ARE trying to send a moral message, they are doing a heinous job at it IMO.
LOL, I anticipated I response like this, so let me clarify as well. I am sure you understand that anyone is allowed any opinion he or she wants to have, and I wasn't implying that you were implying that one's attitude regarding a soap, what they like and find delicious in a storyline, reflects what they would like or find delicious in real life.

But for some, they want different or better or whatever from stories they have invested in, and a soap opera - as a narrative that in some ways reflects current times, that is transmitted to millions of home - has the power to send a messages if a viewer wishes to look for it in certain situations (such as the portrayal of women, or the portrayal of a gay relationship, or single-parent relationships, or in some cases storylines to do with real issues such as abuse, ptsd, eating disorders, etc). I tire of this idea that it's just entertainment. For some people for some issues it's not, and to expect more or different of one's show is not an unreasonable expectation or grievance.

I know you wouldn't deny anyone his or her own strong opinion or reaction, or judge it as wrong or bad or whatever. I am just suggesting that in some cases, viewers might want their soaps held to a different standard. Perhaps it IS a foolhardy wish, but I can understand.

ETA - I understood you meant "you" as "one" ;)
ETalsoA - that LOL was not directed at you, in case it came off obnoxiously like that. It directed at me, as most of my laughing often is, to show my, mmmmm, displeasure with myself that I didn't do a better job clearly articulating in the first post.
Edited by elci525, Jan 16 2013, 02:59 AM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

elci525
Jan 16 2013, 02:44 AM
tomsawyer
elci525
tomsawyer

LOL, I anticipated I response like this, so let me clarify as well. I am sure you understand that anyone is allowed any opinion he or she wants to have, and I wasn't implying that you were implying that one's attitude regarding a soap, what they like and find delicious in a storyline, reflects what they would like or find delicious in real life.

But for some, they want different or better or whatever from stories they have invested in, and a soap opera - as a narrative that in some ways reflects current times, that is transmitted to millions of home - has the power to send a messages if a viewer wishes to look for it in certain situations (such as the portrayal of women, or the portrayal of a gay relationship, or single-parent relationships, or in some cases storylines to do with real issues such as abuse, ptsd, eating disorders, etc). I tire of this idea that it's just entertainment. For some people for some issues it's not, and to expect more or different of one's show is not an unreasonable expectation or grievance.

I know you wouldn't deny anyone his or her own strong opinion or reaction, or judge it as wrong or bad or whatever. I am just suggesting that in some cases, viewers might want their soaps held to a different standard. Perhaps it's a foolhardy wish, but there you go.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I definitely understand that some people may wish for their soaps to provide more than just mere entertainment and expect them to have more of a social or moral conscience. I obviously don't have that expectation from my soaps or from any form of entertainment for that matter. If a TV show or movie or book decides to imbue itself with a moral conscience then I'm cool with that. That's obviously their prerogative. But it's never my expectation. At the end of the day, I consider all movies, books, TV, music, etc. to be art forms. Sometimes they are totaly crappy art, but they still are art and as such their creators are entitled to do what they want with them. And, of course, as the audience, we are allowed to have our opinions about that art and to say we think it sucks.

Bottom line for me... I have no expectation that soaps send any kind of message - positive, moral or otherwise. And based on the stories that soaps have been churning out for years, I think it's probably an exercise in futility to place that expectation on them. People can certainly wish for more from their soaps, but I think pretty much every soap will churn out a number of stories that will end up disappointing them in that regard.

elci525
Member Avatar

Fair enough. =)

I am not outraged by every morally questionable storyline or character decision on the show - most of the time I love them! Certain storylines and certain characterizations hold more of a meaning, for whatever reason, more of resonance, which is probably why I am able to muster any amount of moral displeasure. An exercise in futility I am sure it is, but I have kept up with this show for this long - I am used to futile wishes and dead-end dreaming =) The fact I love the show so much is due at least in small part to my masochistic tendencies.

And thank YOU for your thoughtful response.
Edited by elci525, Jan 16 2013, 03:23 AM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

elci525
Jan 16 2013, 03:05 AM
Fair enough. =)

I am not outraged by every morally questionable storyline or character decision on the show - most of the time I love them! Certain storylines and certain characterizations hold more of a meaning, for whatever reason, more of resonance, which is probably why I am able to muster any amount of moral displeasure. An exercise in futility I am sure it is, but I have kept up with this show for this long - I am used to futile wishes and dead-end dreaming =) The fact I love the show so much is due at least in a small part to my masochistic tendencies.

And thank YOU for your thoughtful response.
:cheers:

Don't get me wrong, I definitely understand the pursuit of too lofty expectatuons. I've spent HOURS posting about how this show needs to do more consistent character development (I've probably logged 10 hours complaining about the writing for EJ alone). If that is not an exercise in futility, I don't know what is. I'm slowly stating to lower my expectations though and just fanwank it. That's why EJ is now Everett in my mind.

Ljay
Member Avatar

Vicky4Mimi
Jan 15 2013, 11:21 PM
Ljay
Jan 15 2013, 07:05 PM
Posted Image

I found this and thought it was a little appropriate for the occasion
Under the picture the line was "Ej's PLAN seems to be working"....

Something must be up...

Isnt Ej's plan to be good to her and lure her in? Whats gonna happen when something clicks and Ej turns back into his old self with Stefano? Curious?

La_Laa

Partnersincrime
Jan 15 2013, 05:08 AM
Will rushes off to tell Sonny about his baby and they wind up kissing.

http://blog.soapoperafan.com/2013/01/days-of-our-lives-spoilers-for-january-21-25/#more-114605
I'm not happy they kiss again so soon. But I'll wait to see how this plays out.

supercool74
Member Avatar

La_Laa
Jan 16 2013, 08:50 AM
Partnersincrime

http://blog.soapoperafan.com/2013/01/days-of-our-lives-spoilers-for-january-21-25/#more-114605
Yeah, just because they kiss doesn't mean they are automatically going to be getting back to together right away. I don't know. I don't think it's going to be too long before they are back together, but I'm thinking it's not going to be easy either. Sonny was really hurt and I can't see him just getting over the fact that Will lied and didn't trust him enough to tell him the truth. I hope that they do drag it out just a little bit. We know Sonny still loves Will (re: the kiss) but that doesn't mean he's ready to forgive and forget.

LonePirate
Member Avatar

La_Laa
Jan 16 2013, 08:50 AM
Partnersincrime

I'm hoping Will is so excited that he plants one on Sonny who immediately pushes him away and chastises him, just like last August when Sonny kissed him and Will had a fit. I think it is a story killer to have them instantly repair their relationship after a single kiss. I don't believe Will has yet fully grasped the extent of the pain he inflicted other than knowing he caused some. Sonny also needs time to think about what it means to be in a relationship with a ticking time bomb like Will. Then there are the competing secrets that will be bubbling to the surface soon - Will's secret about the EJ shooting and Sonny's secret about Gabi's involvement in Melanie's kidnapping. Once they have made peace with the paternity lies and these secrets, then maybe they should move forward. I still think Sonny can do better than Will and he should cut his ties to the young Horton, even though Sonny's only purpose in Salem is to be Will's better half/trophy boyfriend.

salempc
Member Avatar

I can't stand EJ/Sami, but at this point I say let them have their "story". I'll sit back and enjoy watching the ratings hit record lows and hopefully that will lead to Days finally saying buh-bye to useless EJ permanently, freeing all of us from the hell we've been trapped in since May 30, 2006.

camera shy

tomsawyer
Jan 16 2013, 02:58 AM
elci525
Jan 16 2013, 02:44 AM
tomsawyer
elci525

I know you wouldn't deny anyone his or her own strong opinion or reaction, or judge it as wrong or bad or whatever. I am just suggesting that in some cases, viewers might want their soaps held to a different standard. Perhaps it's a foolhardy wish, but there you go.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I definitely understand that some people may wish for their soaps to provide more than just mere entertainment and expect them to have more of a social or moral conscience. I obviously don't have that expectation from my soaps or from any form of entertainment for that matter. If a TV show or movie or book decides to imbue itself with a moral conscience then I'm cool with that. That's obviously their prerogative. But it's never my expectation. At the end of the day, I consider all movies, books, TV, music, etc. to be art forms. Sometimes they are totaly crappy art, but they still are art and as such their creators are entitled to do what they want with them. And, of course, as the audience, we are allowed to have our opinions about that art and to say we think it sucks.

Bottom line for me... I have no expectation that soaps send any kind of message - positive, moral or otherwise. And based on the stories that soaps have been churning out for years, I think it's probably an exercise in futility to place that expectation on them. People can certainly wish for more from their soaps, but I think pretty much every soap will churn out a number of stories that will end up disappointing them in that regard.
But aren't they trying to send out a certain message with say.....Wilson? I see they certainly don't have many people on this show hating on gay people because that's not the message they want to send. All they've done with Wilson is preach love and acceptance. We won't be seeing any of the major characters making any nasty remarks because they care about what kind of message they're sending to the public.
Edited by camera shy, Jan 16 2013, 09:31 AM.

camera shy

salempc
Jan 16 2013, 09:22 AM
I can't stand EJ/Sami, but at this point I say let them have their "story". I'll sit back and enjoy watching the ratings hit record lows and hopefully that will lead to Days finally saying buh-bye to useless EJ permanently, freeing all of us from the hell we've been trapped in since May 30, 2006.
Yes, I'm sure the ratings will should exactly how huge their fanbase really is.

Harmony233

salempc
Jan 16 2013, 09:22 AM
I just want the other two to stop pining after sami's skanky fickle ass lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply