Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spoilers for the week of January 21st; *updated 1/15*
Topic Started: Jan 9 2013, 07:30 AM (47,778 Views)
nolagirl
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Jan 16 2013, 09:42 AM
I no more expect the TV shows I watch to give me my moral compass than I believe the Real World on MtV is in fact, the real world.

Movies or television or neither good ways to learn about life or good examples about how situation should be handled.

As in The Kardasian's or the Hilton's - but unforunately many actually do. :drunk: :'(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nolagirl
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 16 2013, 10:16 AM
SoapGal1
Jan 16 2013, 09:42 AM
I no more expect the TV shows I watch to give me my moral compass than I believe the Real World on MtV is in fact, the real world.

Movies or television or neither good ways to learn about life or good examples about how situation should be handled.

I don't agree. At their best, soaps have touched on subjects that nobody else would. They were pretty much the first shows to deal with interacial marriage, AIDS, and homosexuality. Bianca's coming out story on AMC and Robin and Stone's HIV and AIDS story on GH educated and enlightened viewers in many ways. I seem to recall that Kayla's rape story in 1988 shined a light on marital rape in a different way. And I think that Will's coming out story is having a similar impact. And I think all of those examples are very good things.

But, by the same token, not every storyline on a soap is intended to be a life lesson. It's up to the viewer to decide what works for them and what they can accept and what they cannot. For some of us, it's easy to ignore the ridiculousness of some story lines and how serious issues are treated so cavalierly. For others, not so much. But I agree with earlier posters who say there is nothing wrong with expecting more, even from a soap.
While I agree with most of what you said I will disagree with soaps being the first to deal with certain subjects, they deal with them but on a different level as the charcter are on going by being shown 5 day's a week, while sitcoms are shown 1 day per week and their characters (with the Jefferson's exempted) are usually not on every eppisode or exposed the way you're referring. Ironically George Jefferson was probably the first Black Racial Bigot on TV that I recall.

Interacial marriage for instance - I think The Jefferson's hit that one first, comically I wikipedia'd this and found that I Love Lucy was actually the first interacial marriage :laugh:

Homosexuality - started featuring character in sitcoms dated back to 1972, first real charcter though that I remember was Soap - Billy Crystal was gay.

AIDS - Designing women 1987

appleblossom

I was just a kid then and my family did not watch Days then, but I have read that Days was the first soap to have an interracial engaged couple. I think it was Alice's nephew.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

appleblossom
Jan 16 2013, 02:31 PM
I was just a kid then and my family did not watch Days then, but I have read that Days was the first soap to have an interracial engaged couple. I think it was Alice's nephew.
Soaps have a tendency to touch lightly on serius issues due to the fact that it becomes more of an actual issue with their storylines because of them airing 5 days a week. Homosexuality for instance seems to be widely just accepted in characters on prime time show because it's not necessarily part of the weekly context of the show. The character may be gay but it's not an issue in his profession on the show it's probably not directly hit on. Chicago Fire is the first show I have seen recently where they actually have an openly lesbian with lovers and kissing and even had eppisode where they pranked a newcomer into asking her out only for her to tell them they where punking him that she likes women.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

appleblossom
Jan 16 2013, 01:37 AM
Dazefan4now
Jan 16 2013, 12:49 AM
Everything's better with EJ!
What's better with a reformed sicko! Sami's an idiot! What kind of twisted message is Days sending, cuddle up with a cute, rich guy that once emotionally tortured and raped you!
This is just my opinion but I don't think Days is trying to send any message at all; especially the type described below.

jam6242
Member Avatar

appleblossom
It was Alice's great-grandson, David Banning (Julie's son), who was engaged to Valerie Grant. On the show, the only real opposition to the couple came from Valerie's mother, who worried that Valerie would suffer from further discrimination if she were part of an interracial couple. I thought they were a cute couple but apparently the show received a lot of hate mail from bigots and the network caved in.

But, even before that, I remember a soap from the 60s called "Love is a Many Splendored Thing," that had an interracial couple, although in that case it was White/Asian-American. Also on Days in the 70s, Doug's first wife showed up and she was Polynesian (played by a Japanese-American actress).
Edited by jam6242, Jan 16 2013, 05:44 PM.

six
Member Avatar

appleblossom
You're talking about David and Valerie. David is Alice's great grandson (Julie is his mom). I wasn't watching then either, not being alive at the time, lol, so I don't have first hand knowledge of how the story was handled. I did read a sad article about the story being dropped and the actress getting fired. The fan reaction was overwhelmingly negative. The actors weren't allowed to kiss, or even touch at one point (on screen of course), but they were portraying an engaged couple. ^o) Everything has to start somewhere, and I guess every little bit helps, but even though the story was groundbreaking on some level, I'm not sure how much of an effect it had on the social consciousness of the viewership.
Edited by six, Jan 16 2013, 06:11 PM.

annie21

When it comes to the issue of morality in soaps, I have a slightly different take. On the one hand, I don't expect soaps to give me MY moral compass by preaching to me or otherwise coming across as straight-laced or "moralistic." I do think however, that every character on the show should each have THEIR own moral compass, even if it's the "honor among thieves" variety of a villain like Victor or Stefano. And the writers should stick to that compass for each character, no matter what that might be. That's how we know when a character is facing a moral dilemma, which I do think is a fundamental aspect of all soaps.

For example, those baby switches, bed hoppings, and betrayals only have dramatic impact if there is some kind of understood notion (by the audience and by the characters) that this is wrong. The writers rely on the backdrop of our collective moral sense of right and wrong, combined with various character reactions, to create shock value in a particular story. If, when someone walked out of a hospital with someone else's baby, everyone in Salem just yawned and said, "oh well, that's just what happens around here," there would be no drama in that.

Many of the storylines that are currently on have a fundamental moral aspect that creates the drama for the characters:
-- Kristen's lies and manipulations are weighed against her own sense of being wronged by those she's now hurting.
-- Marlena wrestled with whether to tell John the truth about Brady and Kristen and is now being confronted by that choice.
-- Will agonized over whether to step forward and tell the truth or keep a secret and risk hurting others.

Moral dilemmas are powerful tools in driving dramatic storytelling, even and especially when characters go against generally accepted notions of right and wrong.

My problem with this show in the last few years is that they have a shallow and cynical approach to the use of this tool. They either manufacture a weak moral dilemma and blow it all out of proportion or skim too lightly over a major one. A character's moral compass can change or disappear in a flash, only to conveniently reappear when the plot calls for it. We get a shocking moment where characters do "bad" things, but then there's no follow through and no consequences. Just a big shrug and we're moving on to the next thing.

I, for one, would like more consistency and follow-through, and more character-based storytelling. If a character is "bad," fine. Then have that character's motivations and moral sense of right and wrong reflect that. But to make a character skate around on the surface and have no real depth makes it hard for me to relate. And it definitely makes for flat, superficial, and boring stories.

six
Member Avatar

nolagirl
Jan 16 2013, 01:55 PM
six
Jan 15 2013, 09:46 PM
nolagirl
Jan 15 2013, 05:03 PM
michelle
Jan 15 2013, 02:05 PM
Let me get this right, a slut is still someone who has sex with a bunch of people without caring for any of them, right?

Cause, I don't see ANY sluts on this show.

Fickle, insecure, confused, torn, indifferent, angry, hostile, people on this show, I see everywhere.

Like LIE SEE's coral. ALL I SEE.
:laugh: Urban Dictionary

Slut - Someone who provides a very needed service for the community and sleeps with everyone, even the guy that has no shot at getting laid and everyone knows it. (this would be poor Lucas since Tomlin won't let him have anyone else)

On-Line Dictionary

Slut - A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous

Wikipedia -

The accepted denotative meaning is a sexually promiscuous woman or "a woman of a low or loose character; a bold or impudent girl; a hussy, jade." These definitions identify a slut as a person of low character a person who lacks the ability or chooses not to exercise a power of discernment to order their affairs, such as a cad, rake, or womanizer

But neither of those definitions apply to Sami. Since when is two or three people "everybody"? And we know she has feelings for everyone she's been with, so she doesn't seem to lack discernment, either.
I'd say the on line version suits Sami - A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous

She may have feelings but that doesn't excuse her jumping from bed to bed, she's fickle with men and is using them as a comfort sex being the way she comforts herself. She used Lucas when Rafe dumped her ass. She used EJ when she thought she'd lost her son, she's used Rafe when mad at EJ or especially when she shot EJ in the head. If a person jumps from one person to another in a short amount of time while even claiming to have feeling for all three people that's still looks like a slut.

I think Sami would be having a lot more sex, if this was about using the men. Even if we count the times she was ready and got interrupted that only adds up to three or four times from summer til now. I think it's been wrong of her to string people along, but each idiot who stood in line waiting for his turn to think he and Sami might build something real has to take responsibility for that.

annie21
Jan 16 2013, 11:22 PM
When it comes to the issue of morality in soaps, I have a sligKmhtly different take. On the one hand, I don't expect soaps to give me MY moral compass by preaching to me or otherwise coming across as straight-laced or "moralistic." I do think however, that every character on the show should each have THEIR own moral compass, even if it's the "honor among thieves" variety of a villain like Victor or Stefano. And the writers should stick to that compass for each character, no matter what that might be. That's how we know when a character is facing a moral dilemma, which I do think is a fundamental aspect of all soaps.

For example, those baby switches, bed hoppings, and betrayals only have dramatic impact if there is some kind of understood notion (by the audience and by the characters) that this is wrong. The writers rely on the backdrop of our collective moral sense of right and wrong, combined with various character reactions, to create shock value in a particular story. If, when someone walked out of a hospital with someone else's baby, everyone in Salem just yawned and said, "oh well, that's just what happens around here," there would be no drama in that.

Many of the storylines that are currently on have a fundamental moral aspect that creates the drama for the characters:
-- Kristen's lies and manipulations are weighed against her own sense of being wronged by those she's now hurting.
-- Marlena wrestled with whether to tell John the truth about Brady and Kristen and is now being confronted by that choice.
-- Will agonized over whether to step forward and tell the truth or keep a secret and risk hurting others.

Moral dilemmas are powerful tools in driving dramatic storytelling, even and especially when characters go against generally accepted notions of right and wrong.

My problem with this show in the last few years is that they have a shallow and cynical approach to the use of this tool. They either manufacture a weak moral dilemma and blow it all out of proportion or skim too lightly over a major one. A character's moral compass can change or disappear in a flash, only to conveniently reappear when the plot calls for it. We get a shocking moment where characters do "bad" things, but then there's no follow through and no consequences. Just a big shrug and we're moving on to the next thing.

I, for one, would like more consistency and follow-through, and more character-based storytelling. If a character is "bad," fine. Then have that character's motivations and moral sense of right and wrong reflect that. But to make a character skate around on the surface and have no real depth makes it hard for me to relate. And it definitely makes for flat, superficial, and boring stories.

This is a good point, although I don't think a character's moral center needs to be set in stone, because people change. This was the issue I had every time the SPD decided to cover up a crime. For a long time, the show wrote for shock value and not like a long running drama.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

six
Jan 17 2013, 09:18 AM
nolagirl
six
nolagirl

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepThese definitions identify a slut as a person of low character a person who lacks the ability or chooses not to exercise a power of discernment to order their affairs, such as a cad, rake, or womanizer

But neither of those definitions apply to Sami. Since when is two or three people "everybody"? And we know she has feelings for everyone she's been with, so she doesn't seem to lack discernment, either.
I'd say the on line version suits Sami - A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous

She may have feelings but that doesn't excuse her jumping from bed to bed, she's fickle with men and is using them as a comfort sex being the way she comforts herself. She used Lucas when Rafe dumped her ass. She used EJ when she thought she'd lost her son, she's used Rafe when mad at EJ or especially when she shot EJ in the head. If a person jumps from one person to another in a short amount of time while even claiming to have feeling for all three people that's still looks like a slut.

I think Sami would be having a lot more sex, if this was about using the men. Even if we count the times she was ready and got interrupted that only adds up to three or four times from summer til now. I think it's been wrong of her to string people along, but each idiot who stood in line waiting for his turn to think he and Sami might build something real has to take responsibility for that.

annie21
When it comes to the issue of morality in soaps, I have a sligKmhtly different take. On the one hand, I don't expect soaps to give me MY moral compass by preaching to me or otherwise coming across as straight-laced or "moralistic." I do think however, that every character on the show should each have THEIR own moral compass, even if it's the "honor among thieves" variety of a villain like Victor or Stefano. And the writers should stick to that compass for each character, no matter what that might be. That's how we know when a character is facing a moral dilemma, which I do think is a fundamental aspect of all soaps.

This is a good point, although I don't think a character's moral center needs to be set in stone, because people change. This was the issue I had every time the SPD decided to cover up a crime. For a long time, the show wrote for shock value and not like a long running drama.
Oh I have no doubt that all three men are idiots for even wanting her, but whether or not they voluntarily went into her bed does not counter the fact that Sami has been for the most part acting the part of a slut. I guess you could argue the term slut may or maynot be the appropriate word BUT if you look at it on a (RL perspective yes I know this is a soap) but she would be looked at by many as a slut.

six
Member Avatar

I don't dispute that many people in real life would consider her a slut. I just think that's a bit...puritanical to look down on her for having close bonds with three people that she never truly got over and whom she's not actually bed hopping with.

It's not like she's using these guys for financial gain or something. She's casually dating two men and made the decision to end things with one of them before having sex with the other.
Edited by six, Jan 17 2013, 12:53 PM.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

nolagirl
Jan 16 2013, 01:38 PM
BeeBee
Jan 15 2013, 07:30 PM
nolagirl
Jan 15 2013, 12:24 PM
esp13
Jan 15 2013, 11:27 AM
As far as I can tell, the spoiler doesn't say that Justin agrees to represent Nick or that Justin takes any steps to sever Will's parental rights. It says that Nick seeks advice from Justin. So, I think it's a little early to say that Justin is betraying anybody.
Well knowing this is a soap - it truly can go either way but honestly and again knowing this is a soap an ex-con murderer trying to prove an unconvicted attempted murderer as an unfit parent is all kinds of :blink:

As for Justin I hate that they keep making him do these kinds of legal representations the last one between Nick and Chad was crap writing to keep Gabi's secret. Justin should have never even have taken that case, no real DECENT lawyer would have. I could have seen it more from EJ on Chad's behalf. :shrug:
Most decent lawyers knows constitutionally that everyone deserves adequate representation and rarely choose to represent clients based on their own moral judgment of the behavior of the client.If the system worked any other way,the unpopular would rarely receive any representation unless they could pay through the nose for it.Nick went to jail for his crime which is more than can be said for most of Salem and was released because he was seen to have been rehabilitated.Unless the person assaulted or killed is a spouse,the crime is a factor but not the only factor.
The paperwork drawn up between Chad and Nick was stupid at didn't even go to any police or cops so for Justin to have written up the agreement was stupid writing. Why would Nick go get a lawyer to write up this agreement if he was in the right and could have easily put Chad in jail for assault, because he was covering up a crime (Gabi's). Chad should have told Nick go for it, without any prior crimes by Chad and having the father that raised him as DA he would have gotten off with a warning or probabtion. Gabi would have been outed is the only reason and Justin the real Justin would have told Nick to files charges, he had no reason to help cover up Gabi's crime especially since it resulted in his brother in laws death. Agin lazy writing, it would have been more beleivable if EJ had written some kind of contract on Chad's beahlf but in this instance Chad had nothing to HIDE.
Chad did have something to hide although he was a moron because with his connections he would likely have gotten off completely or with probation.Justin is an attorney who was asked by client to perform a service and did so.As he indicated he was trying to help Chad avoid an arrest/conviction.I think Chad was still in his keeping his distance from the DiMera family phase.The agreement also makes a better story since there are still more secrets to come out that are going to affect all of Salem when it comes out what Gabi did now that everyone knows she is having Will's baby.I looking forward to all of this unfolding in the months to come.

LucasHortonFan
Please write 4 Bryan Dattilo, Give him a love interest.

I will never not want my beloved Ejole, but I love Nicole going to confront Kristen over Brady. I wouldn't mind some Brady and Nicole scenes. If I can't have Ejole, I'll take Bricole in the interim!

And I get some Lucas and Lumi. I love that Lucas interrupts Ej and Sami and that he is disgusted. Lucas, you ain't the only one!
Edited by LucasHortonFan, Jan 17 2013, 09:40 PM.

annie21

six
Jan 17 2013, 09:18 AM
nolagirl
six
nolagirl

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepThese definitions identify a slut as a person of low character a person who lacks the ability or chooses not to exercise a power of discernment to order their affairs, such as a cad, rake, or womanizer

annie21

Yes, I agree. People can change. That, too, makes for great storytelling. To see a redemption story where a "bad" character is inspired to change his or her evil ways or similarly, to see a "good" character descend into bad boy or bad girl.

The problem is when this change happens overnight, lol. And when there's no rhyme or reason for why a character suddenly has a major shift in their actions without us being given any real motive for it. Again, for the last several years, this show has been too lazy in its writing and its pacing of storylines to let us see and enjoy those arcs. We get "rushed," we get "insta," we get flip-flops, and we get hastily rewritten history. No growth, no consequences, no depth.

This Wabi baby story got off to just such a bad start. But if it does begin to play out the emotional beats associated with the moral dilemmas of the various characters, then it's headed in the right direction imo. One can only hope. :)

DJsMommy
Member Avatar
❤Nikki

camera shy
Jan 15 2013, 09:26 AM
Partnersincrime
Jan 15 2013, 08:35 AM
Hamilton
Jan 15 2013, 08:10 AM

Sami is a skank pure and simple. Lucas you aren't the only one disgusted by her.

I'd much rather see more scenes with Lucas and Will and the young son opening up to his father, but then Sami has to have some miniscule reason to jump in the sack so we have Ej as Will's best buddy confidant. Such wasted potential for more meaningful and well rounded story imo.

i know they will try anything to downside lucas and will relationship and write they never been close

i conisder will idiot for chosing to opening up to ej of all people

Posted Image
Yeah, some people like to think that EJ's treats Will just like a son. You think he'd put his hands on Johnny like this when he's older?
Thanks for posting this gif! There is the rotten bastard EJ I love! God I miss him! I hope he returns to Salem one day. :shame:

DJsMommy
Member Avatar
❤Nikki

Ljay
Jan 15 2013, 05:33 PM
3WishGenie
Jan 15 2013, 01:28 PM
Let me get this straight with Sami, if she's not using EJ for grief sex...its "I've had a fight with Rafe" sex? :fp2: FREE EJ!!!!!

And heres the kicker...Ej PULLS AWAY! Hes tried everything this side of the sun to get Sami in the sack, getting ready to make it a home run and PULLS AWAY! :wow:
I said it once and I'll say it again...Ej is pathetic :omg:
Maybe he's impotent? :shrug:

concerned
Member Avatar

DJsMommy
Jan 18 2013, 02:38 AM
Ljay
3WishGenie
Let me get this straight with Sami, if she's not using EJ for grief sex...its "I've had a fight with Rafe" sex? :fp2: FREE EJ!!!!!

And heres the kicker...Ej PULLS AWAY! Hes tried everything this side of the sun to get Sami in the sack, getting ready to make it a home run and PULLS AWAY! :wow:
If he's impotent his magic sperm are even more magical than we previously thought.

Jolly good show there my boy.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Daytime
Member Avatar

Zap2it wk Jan. 21st

1/22, E.J. offers to help Will get custody of the baby; Sami questions Nick and Gabi's ability to raise a child; Nick asks Justin for advice; Chloe and Anne realize separating Daniel and Jennifer will be difficult.

1/23, Nick pushes Will to give up his parental rights; Will talks to Sonny about his situation; Rafe accuses Sami and E.J. of being manipulative; Chad tries to right things with Abigail and Cameron.

1/24, E.J. pulls back when he and Sami get too close; Gabi supports Will's decision to be part of the baby's life; Abigail opens up to Gabi; Adrienne and Justin disagree about their son's life.

1/25, Nicole tries to help Eric by separating Brady and Kristen; John leaves to think about things; Chloe suggests she and Parker move in with Daniel.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

Daytime
Jan 18 2013, 01:21 PM
Zap2it wk Jan. 21st

1/22, E.J. offers to help Will get custody of the baby; Sami questions Nick and Gabi's ability to raise a child; Nick asks Justin for advice; Chloe and Anne realize separating Daniel and Jennifer will be difficult.

1/23, Nick pushes Will to give up his parental rights; Will talks to Sonny about his situation; Rafe accuses Sami and E.J. of being manipulative; Chad tries to right things with Abigail and Cameron.

1/24, E.J. pulls back when he and Sami get too close; Gabi supports Will's decision to be part of the baby's life; Abigail opens up to Gabi; Adrienne and Justin disagree about their son's life.

1/25, Nicole tries to help Eric by separating Brady and Kristen; John leaves to think about things; Chloe suggests she and Parker move in with Daniel.
Although I can understand Will,Sami,and Lucas wanting a role in baby's life,I cannot wait to witness what Sami can possibly say to question Nick and Gabi's ability to raise a child given her own history.I like Gabi supporting Will in wanting to be a part of his baby's life.Looking forward to Rafe/Sami/EJ accusation.

Ljay
Member Avatar

concerned
Jan 18 2013, 03:25 AM
DJsMommy
Jan 18 2013, 02:38 AM
Ljay
3WishGenie

If he's impotent his magic sperm are even more magical than we previously thought.

Jolly good show there my boy.

Ej and his magic sperm...I dont care about him pulling AWAY Im more concerned with his pulling OUT. No more kids please. I can only take so much babies at once. And its on January.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply