Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Renewed through 2014!
Topic Started: Jan 9 2013, 01:08 PM (6,030 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

While I happy Days isn't cancelled, it makes worried that KC/NBC will think nothing is wrong and that this show will continue to be shit until it goes off air. I just hope I'm proven wrong and that major changes are made so this show can become watchable again.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

NBC PRESS RELEASE:

AS ‘DAYS OF OUR LIVES’ CELEBRATES ITS 12,000th EPISODE THIS WEEK, NBC RENEWS THE ICONIC DAYTIME DRAMA THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2014

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – January 09, 2013 – On the heels of celebrating its 12,000th episode, NBC has extended its long-running daytime drama "Days of our Lives" for an additional year, taking the show through September 2014 and past its 48th year anniversary in November 2013. The extension was announced today by Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment. The 12,000th episode will air this Friday, January 11.

“We are thrilled to announce that “Days of our Lives” is not going anywhere. It is NBC's longest-running drama series by far and is one of the most historic brands in television,” said Salke. “We commend Ken Corday and the entire creative team on continuing to keep the stories and characters fresh, exciting and relevant year after year.”

“‘Days of our Lives’ has maintained a loyal and dedicated fan base for more than four decades and continues to reach a new generation of viewers,” said Steve Mosko, President, Sony Pictures Television. “We appreciate NBC’s support over the years and, as the show celebrates this significant milestone, we are thrilled that the show will continue to be a part of the NBC family.”

Executive producer Ken Corday follows in the tradition of his parents, Betty and Ted Corday, who co-created "Days of our Lives" and helmed the series for many years.

“After so many years in the homes and hearts of our loyal fans, I’m both humbled and elated to say it’s 2013 and we’re still going strong,” said Corday. “I am equally proud that the sense of family which my mom and dad established in our show 48 years ago, is still what drives it today. As we celebrate our 12,000th episode with an amazing cast and great support from our network, we look forward to what’s yet to come!”

In the 12,000th episode, Sami (played by Alison Sweeney, who coincidentally celebrates her 20-year anniversary on “Days” this week) and Rafe (Galen Gering) start getting close again. Chloe (Nadia Bjorlin) finds an ally in her quest to win Daniel (Shawn Christian) away from Jennifer (Melissa Reeves). Meanwhile, Gabi (Camila Banus) prepares to marry Nick (Blake Berris) while carrying the baby of Will (Daytime Emmy winner Chandler Massey). All three continue to struggle with what role Will should play in the baby’s life. Before the episode’s end, someone throws a huge wrench into the wedding proceedings.

"Days of our Lives” (Monday-Friday, 1-2 p.m. ET) first premiered as a half-hour drama in 1965 and expanded to an hour 10 years later.

In its 47-plus years, “Days of our Lives” has garnered 215 Daytime Emmy nominations and 32 wins, including a recent Emmy win for Outstanding Writing as well as a GLAAD Award win for Outstanding Daily Drama. The show's success derives from its consistent commitment to excellence in writing and storytelling -- supported by a diverse ensemble of performers -- and an uncanny knack for anticipating viewer interests. "Days” is set in the fictitious midwestern town of Salem. The core families are the Bradys, the Hortons and the DiMeras. The multi-layered storylines involve elements of romance, adventure, mystery, comedy and drama.

“Days of our Lives” is produced by Corday Productions Inc. in association with Sony Pictures Television. Ken Corday is executive producer with co-executive producers Greg Meng and Lisa De Cazotte. Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell are the head writers.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Romancer66

While it's reassuring that the plug isn't being pulled on NBC's one surviving soap yet, I'm not about to pop any champagne corks until there's another regime change, which I think the show sorely needs. GH is on an upswing, and while not every viewer is happy with its current incarnation, going by the numbers alone, their creative team seems to be doing more things right than wrong. By the same criteria, DAYS is foundering badly, and their ridiculous shooting schedule ensures that things won't be changing direction/improving any time soon.
Edited by Romancer66, Jan 9 2013, 02:06 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Very glad about this! Now I just hope Eileen will be staying on Days for a long time to come too :)

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I can't really bring myself to suffer through the show right now, but I'm always happy to see confirmation that the show will go on. I see no reason now to not at least go 50 years. It would be a really dumb move to cancel on 48 or 49. So in my mind this is basically a 3 year renewal and that is plenty of time to kick Tomlin to the curb and bring in a Sheri Anderson, who knows the history of the show and team her with someone younger with some fresh ideas. DAYS needs help. I hear people say the show is better and more tolerable, but its still boring and they still focus on the wrong people (IMO) so there is a lot to work out. I don't think Tomlin has it in him to ever do anything to boost ratings the way that Carlivati and Valentini have done on GH. DAYS has already used just about ALL of their big casting bullets. Now its about writing and focus.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jb1183

LovingDays
Jan 9 2013, 01:42 PM
Awesome News

Next i would love to hear Nadia Bjorlin Staying

and that Galen,Shawn,Melissa will be leaving the show that will be awesome
It's sad that Melissa, the portrayor of a once beloved legacy character with lots of history, is now lumped in with those airhog newbies Galen and Shawn as someone people want to see off the show. But that's where I'm at too. I've grown to despise the character of Jennifer so much that I groan out loud when she shows up on my screen. I'm not sure how much of that is Melissa's fault, I just know I would enjoy the show so much more if she and Jennifer were gone.

al0792

I am so glad the show is renewed!! Please fix the show, get rid of Dr. Hairy Chest and bring back Jack!!

cord08

Hopeless_Dreamer
Jan 9 2013, 02:03 PM
While I happy Days isn't cancelled, it makes worried that KC/NBC will think nothing is wrong and that this show will continue to be shit until it goes off air. I just hope I'm proven wrong and that major changes are made so this show can become watchable again.
Exactly. Without the pressure of imminent cancellation, I have less hope for a writing change.

jackjenfan
Member Avatar

While I'm happy it was renewed, I hope they have plans to fix the damage the writers have done over the last year since after the first reboot. The current writers aren't cutting it. Killing Jack and pimping the heck out of it's worst couple in history, Dannifer, I don't call a good story.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Jan 9 2013, 01:26 PM
Now that Days is hanging around for another year, can we get some real talent in to write the stories? Days needs someone who's willing to write some action/adventure/mystery/blackmail juiciness, not just teen baby drama & scratch the surface of what could be amazing & then take it in the direction no one wants it to go.
Will getting new writers really make a difference? It seems like no matter who writes this show, it's always a disappointing mess. Gary Tomlin, for all his faults, at least knew how to deliver compelling drama on other shows. He knew how to create over-the-top soapy moments. It's what he was known for. Sunset Beach, OLTL and Passions are all proof of that. Now he's on Days and his work is abysmal. The show is practically unwatchable. Just as it was unwatchable under M&D and Higley. There's something about Days that seems to make otherwise decent writers really shitty. It's a pattern I've noticed and it doesn't just apply to writers. The actors are phoning it in as well and have been for years. (Not counting ED and a few others.)

Changing writers never seems to make a difference in the quality of the show. It's almost like there's some sort of mandate to make the show as boring as humanly possible. Every single story that has the potential to be good always plays out in the most boring of ways. The more interesting path is never taken. The more exciting path is never taken. The drama has completely been sucked out of the show. It's as vanilla as it's ever been and I honestly don't see that changing, even with a new writer. I think there's a larger problem in that Ken Corday has forgotten what a soap opera is supposed to be and until someone wakes him up to the fact that safe and snoozy isn't going to cut it, nothing is going to change.

Days4Life

Awesome news!

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I am no longer watching the show but I'm happy that the cast and crew will keep their jobs for another year. With this renewal I think Days will make it to 50 years. They will only need 14 more months to make that milestone.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm still holding out hope that Corday pulls what AMC did with Lorraine Broderick, and has Sheri Anderson come in for what could be the final years in Salem. They really need to bring someone in who is a fan of the show. Anderson seems to be that way. Tomlin/Whitesell are there for a paycheck and it shows. They don't give a damn about the show's history.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

This might sound weird but...

Yay. I'm glad it survived. I hope they write like they were just given their final airdate.

There are dozens of things I wish they'd change for my benefit. But I think more of me just wishes they would infuse some energy into the show, commit fully, and go balls-out until the end (whenever that is).

So I hope they don't take this as another opportunity to get lazy until the next pre-renewal sweeps period when they dangle a Major Return in front of us and then slaughter that beloved character before our eyes. I hope it's not another period where it feels like 70 people are writing the show trying to sort through all of our conflicting internet demands. I just want to see one writer's vision (preferably a writer who has some energy), full-on, as though September 2014 is when we're saying goodbye forever.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

Kenny
Jan 9 2013, 02:32 PM
Supergirlx2
Jan 9 2013, 01:26 PM
Now that Days is hanging around for another year, can we get some real talent in to write the stories? Days needs someone who's willing to write some action/adventure/mystery/blackmail juiciness, not just teen baby drama & scratch the surface of what could be amazing & then take it in the direction no one wants it to go.
Will getting new writers really make a difference? It seems like no matter who writes this show, it's always a disappointing mess. Gary Tomlin, for all his faults, at least knew how to deliver compelling drama on other shows. He knew how to create over-the-top soapy moments. It's what he was known for. Sunset Beach, OLTL and Passions are all proof of that. Now he's on Days and his work is abysmal. The show is practically unwatchable. Just as it was unwatchable under M&D and Higley. There's something about Days that seems to make otherwise decent writers really shitty. It's a pattern I've noticed and it doesn't just apply to writers. The actors seem to be phoning it in as well and have been for years. (Not counting ED and a few others.)

Changing writers never seems to make a difference in the quality of the show. It's almost like there's some sort of mandate to make the show as boring as humanly possible. Every single story that has the potential to be good always plays out in the most boring of ways. The more interesting path is never taken. The more exciting path is never taken. The drama has completely been sucked out of the show. It's as vanilla as it's ever been and I honestly don't see that changing, even with a new writer. I think there's a larger problem in that Ken Corday has forgotten what a soap opera is supposed to be and until someone wakes him up to the fact that safe and snoozy isn't going to cut it, nothing is going to change.
I've never been a fan of Tomlin's & never will. Plus, I feel like there are actors that will never get the airtime & stories they deserve because Tomlin has his favorites that he just wants to see have the stories & screw everyone else. Days needs a HW that will write for all the characters, and out of the last 3 writing teams, MarDar tried that the most.
Is there a problem with the higher-ups? sure. it would explain the constant turns in MarDar's stories & how the start & the end didn't make sense & certain details were dropped with no notice. but i don't think that just replacing someone like Bruce Evans would be enough (though i wouldn't be surprised if it changed things). Tomlin was fired in 2011 for a reason.
if NBC is serious about hoping that Days will get to 50 years, even if that requires single year renewals to get there, they need to really take a look at what's working & what's not, & not just on Days. What's GH doing to increase ratings? (we'll skip looking at B&B cause Hope/Liam/Steffy non-stop is like EJ/Sami/Rafe non-stop) What's Y&R doing? What kinds of stories do the viewers want to see? Who do the viewers want to see?

nolagirl
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 9 2013, 01:08 PM
http://tvline.com/2013/01/09/days-of-our-lives-renewed-2014/

As foreshadowed earlier this week, NBC has renewed Days of Our Lives through September 2014 and the soap’s 48th anniversary.

“We are thrilled to announce that Days is not going anywhere. It is NBC’s longest-running drama series by far and is one of the most historic brands in television,” said NBC entertainment president Jennifer Salke. “We commend Ken Corday and the entire creative team on continuing to keep the stories and characters fresh, exciting and relevant year after year.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbcs-days-lives-renewed-410250
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Obviously the person who wrote this article especially the last line doesn't watch the show.

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

Now make DAYS better! Hire new Exec. Producer and head writers and stop with the repetitive storylines esp the EJ/Sami/Rafe mess and Daniel & Jennifer. Bring back Peter Reckell (Bo)!
Edited by Kevin_Buchanan, Jan 9 2013, 03:29 PM.

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

jb1183
Jan 9 2013, 02:15 PM
LovingDays
Awesome News

It's sad that Melissa, the portrayor of a once beloved legacy character with lots of history, is now lumped in with those airhog newbies Galen and Shawn as someone people want to see off the show. But that's where I'm at too. I've grown to despise the character of Jennifer so much that I groan out loud when she shows up on my screen. I'm not sure how much of that is Melissa's fault, I just know I would enjoy the show so much more if she and Jennifer were gone.
Galen Gering(Rafe) definitely DOES NOT need to leave. Rafe is the best man for Sami! Melissa Reeves(Jennifer) should stay as well, she's a legacy character and I'm so sick of the Reeves hate. Nadia staying maybe. Shawn Christian leaving, yeah, sick of the show banging us in the head with their flove of Daniel Jonas. I'd hire writers that would make Sami wake up and hate EJ period. Have EJ do something very evil to Sami and those she loves. I'd end Jennifer & Daniel with Daniel cheating on Jennifer with someone, she catches them and hates his ass period. Then have him leave Salem maybe making him NOT Maggie's son.

eyebrowns

Just checked in on the Sheri Anderson that everyone seems to be gunning for right now. I didn't know she did so many high profile things for DAYS back in the days, it would be great to have her back. She seems to still be into the idea since she's writing alternate storylines for her books.

What's the probability of getting her back though? I feel like Corday probably thinks this renewal means TomSell is working.

Hamilton
Member Avatar

Kevin_Buchanan
Jan 9 2013, 03:34 PM
jb1183
Jan 9 2013, 02:15 PM
LovingDays
Awesome News

Galen Gering(Rafe) definitely DOES NOT need to leave. Rafe is the best man for Sami! Melissa Reeves(Jennifer) should stay as well, she's a legacy character and I'm so sick of the Reeves hate. Nadia staying maybe. Shawn Christian leaving, yeah, sick of the show banging us in the head with their flove of Daniel Jonas. I'd hire writers that would make Sami wake up and hate EJ period. Have EJ do something very evil to Sami and those she loves. I'd end Jennifer & Daniel with Daniel cheating on Jennifer with someone, she catches them and hates his ass period. Then have him leave Salem maybe making him NOT Maggie's son.
I really miss devilish Ej. His character is so dull and generic now. Kristen is delightfully back and Ej should be firing on all pistons too ramping up the excitement from the Dimera camp.

I'm happy for the renewal but I want to be entertained as they move forward and this version of Ej has been a huge disappointment.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply