Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Renewed through 2014!
Topic Started: Jan 9 2013, 01:08 PM (5,886 Views)
Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I hope the show gets to 50. Then it can be euthanized from its long time suffering...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Congrats to the cast and crew.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I reiterate the hope that Days will make it to fifty! The show is not pleasing me right now with its stories, but it's been a part of my life for so long that I will always support it. Congratulations to the cast and crew!

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Days is trending!

Posted Image

4vrejami

meh, I kinda wish days would just get axed. It's too horrible and these writers just keep pushing crap that's boring. (i.e Dannifer and ej/sami/rafe triangle.

Queen B
Member Avatar

This is not good news. I was hoping DOOL would be cancelled this year, it deserves to be. Terrible news

trojangal
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 9 2013, 02:32 PM
Supergirlx2
Jan 9 2013, 01:26 PM
Now that Days is hanging around for another year, can we get some real talent in to write the stories? Days needs someone who's willing to write some action/adventure/mystery/blackmail juiciness, not just teen baby drama & scratch the surface of what could be amazing & then take it in the direction no one wants it to go.
Will getting new writers really make a difference? It seems like no matter who writes this show, it's always a disappointing mess. Gary Tomlin, for all his faults, at least knew how to deliver compelling drama on other shows. He knew how to create over-the-top soapy moments. It's what he was known for. Sunset Beach, OLTL and Passions are all proof of that. Now he's on Days and his work is abysmal. The show is practically unwatchable. Just as it was unwatchable under M&D and Higley. There's something about Days that seems to make otherwise decent writers really shitty. It's a pattern I've noticed and it doesn't just apply to writers. The actors are phoning it in as well and have been for years. (Not counting ED and a few others.)

Changing writers never seems to make a difference in the quality of the show. It's almost like there's some sort of mandate to make the show as boring as humanly possible. Every single story that has the potential to be good always plays out in the most boring of ways. The more interesting path is never taken. The more exciting path is never taken. The drama has completely been sucked out of the show. It's as vanilla as it's ever been and I honestly don't see that changing, even with a new writer. I think there's a larger problem in that Ken Corday has forgotten what a soap opera is supposed to be and until someone wakes him up to the fact that safe and snoozy isn't going to cut it, nothing is going to change.
Corday seems to be a problem for sure but I also wonder about some of the higher ups like Bruce Evans. Don't know how long he has been involved with Days but he was at Day of Days as far back as Nov 2009 talking to fans which means he was around for all of the Tomlin & Dena stuff as well as all of the crap that has happened since then.

trojangal
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 9 2013, 02:42 PM
I'm still holding out hope that Corday pulls what AMC did with Lorraine Broderick, and has Sheri Anderson come in for what could be the final years in Salem. They really need to bring someone in who is a fan of the show. Anderson seems to be that way. Tomlin/Whitesell are there for a paycheck and it shows. They don't give a damn about the show's history.
Sherri Anderson went on the Days book tour so I I can't figure out why
Corday can't get her to help out . Did something happen since then?

bomber
Member Avatar

The DAYS PR machine is working overtime this week with 12000 eps publicity and renewal announcement. i'm assuming that's why BD was told to call off the dogs - because it was clashing with their campaign. But his and DH tweets make me think that Corday is going to announce some changes in the next couple of weeks and, while I hope it's not bad news for the actors, I'm hoping there might be some BTS shuffling as well.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I really get the feeling that the Network is just putting up with this show until it's 50th... and then it will be gone!

ideal_rain
Member Avatar

4vrejami
Jan 9 2013, 04:50 PM
meh, I kinda wish days would just get axed. It's too horrible and these writers just keep pushing crap that's boring. (i.e Dannifer and ej/sami/rafe triangle.

Still better than Another World's last year, when they tried to shoehorned a 'supernatural' storyline into the show.

Does anyone remember that? It was an ailen Illuminati thing, I think.... And finale was a wedding with a gorilla.

I only watched AsThe World Turns just for the last year and really enjoyed it. I thought the last episode was excellent.

I think the difference was ATWT had a year warning and started to wrap things up sooner. Hopefully when other soaps get the axe (and it's coming) they will have one or two year notice to end storylines and make most of the characters and viewers happy.
Edited by ideal_rain, Jan 9 2013, 05:51 PM.

Queen B
Member Avatar

All people do is complain about pretty much EVERY aspect of this show but yet people are SO happy it got a renewal? I don't get it. The show is never going to change and I finally gave up wishing it would when MarDar were fired.

KELLYISHAWT
Member Avatar

I Dont Watch Days Of My Life But YAY! MORE SOAPS!!! AWESOMEINESS!

Queen Bitch is A Bad Word I Ca'nt say! heha

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 9 2013, 02:32 PM
Supergirlx2
Jan 9 2013, 01:26 PM
Now that Days is hanging around for another year, can we get some real talent in to write the stories? Days needs someone who's willing to write some action/adventure/mystery/blackmail juiciness, not just teen baby drama & scratch the surface of what could be amazing & then take it in the direction no one wants it to go.
Will getting new writers really make a difference? It seems like no matter who writes this show, it's always a disappointing mess. Gary Tomlin, for all his faults, at least knew how to deliver compelling drama on other shows. He knew how to create over-the-top soapy moments. It's what he was known for. Sunset Beach, OLTL and Passions are all proof of that. Now he's on Days and his work is abysmal. The show is practically unwatchable. Just as it was unwatchable under M&D and Higley. There's something about Days that seems to make otherwise decent writers really shitty. It's a pattern I've noticed and it doesn't just apply to writers. The actors are phoning it in as well and have been for years. (Not counting ED and a few others.)

Changing writers never seems to make a difference in the quality of the show. It's almost like there's some sort of mandate to make the show as boring as humanly possible. Every single story that has the potential to be good always plays out in the most boring of ways. The more interesting path is never taken. The more exciting path is never taken. The drama has completely been sucked out of the show. It's as vanilla as it's ever been and I honestly don't see that changing, even with a new writer. I think there's a larger problem in that Ken Corday has forgotten what a soap opera is supposed to be and until someone wakes him up to the fact that safe and snoozy isn't going to cut it, nothing is going to change.
While I'm happy that Days has been renewed for another year, I totally agree with you, Kenny, about changing writers not always making a difference in the show. There are so many possibilities for good stories but this writing team can't or won't see the missed opportunities.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Good news that this soap has been renewed for another year! If now Days could replace their writers with a few writers who are conditioned to update what sells today and is also talented and creative! I mean how is it that they can not find a pair of writers like those who write for Revenge for exemple? Instead, they have two old guys like TomSell, who is out of touch with what is interesting and exciting they write boring characters and dull pairs and very uninteresting stories! Many times it depends on the actors if he or she is able to turn crap into something interesting depending on how talented the actor is? For me, the biggest issue that they can not write exciting characters and seems stuck in the old-fashioned way with good vs. evil! And it's very square way to look at different characters!

lumifan4life

Happy for the cast and crew who will still have their jobs next year. However the show still sucks and unless another huge shake up happens, nothing really changes quality wise. That is unless they're ok being dead last place throughout the end of its run in 2014.

world50

I commend NBC for keeping Days on the air (now ABC,CBS and NBC have at least one soap on the air).That's tough knowing it is in last place ......and the writing is horrible.What they need to do is breath life into this old fossel like TPTB did for General Hospital .They need to REALLY reboot.....and give it substance and not just window dressing.Get rid of the story lines/characters /couples that are not working ......and for heaven's sakes ..........put Dannifer on the back burner already!Also give Sami ONE love interest to invest in ......and have her stop ping ponging back and forth between Rafe and EJ.I'm getting whiplash from her ping ponging . :(

Checkers
Member Avatar

Congrats Days! I don't want to see any of the soaps cancelled.

world50

Tammy
Jan 9 2013, 05:33 PM
I really get the feeling that the Network is just putting up with this show until it's 50th... and then it will be gone!
Your probably right.....but at least give it a sendoff it deserves.Wouldn't it be great if for the next couple of years we could actually be proud of the writing? :)

michr544125

So glad for the cast and crew. I just wish this should could get better writing like GH has now. The writing on that show makes me never want to miss an episode. I want to feel like that about this show again.

As I don't really know how this works does only being re-signed for one year mean it probably wont last beyond or is this just how they do things now on NBC?
Edited by michr544125, Jan 9 2013, 07:13 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply