Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Renewed through 2014!
Topic Started: Jan 9 2013, 01:08 PM (6,126 Views)
JoeBucs32

bomber
Jan 9 2013, 05:26 PM
The DAYS PR machine is working overtime this week with 12000 eps publicity and renewal announcement. i'm assuming that's why BD was told to call off the dogs - because it was clashing with their campaign. But his and DH tweets make me think that Corday is going to announce some changes in the next couple of weeks and, while I hope it's not bad news for the actors, I'm hoping there might be some BTS shuffling as well.
What did BD and DH tweet that suggests upcoming changes? What did I miss?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ShaneDOOLFan

Sheri Anderson as a Co-Headwriter or Story Consultant at least, PLEASE DOOL! Make it happen.

annie21

“We commend Ken Corday and the entire creative team on continuing to keep the stories and characters fresh, exciting and relevant year after year.”

This quote pretty much confirms for me that the execs don't actually watch the show.

bomber
Member Avatar

JoeBucs32
Jan 9 2013, 07:33 PM
bomber
Jan 9 2013, 05:26 PM
The DAYS PR machine is working overtime this week with 12000 eps publicity and renewal announcement. i'm assuming that's why BD was told to call off the dogs - because it was clashing with their campaign. But his and DH tweets make me think that Corday is going to announce some changes in the next couple of weeks and, while I hope it's not bad news for the actors, I'm hoping there might be some BTS shuffling as well.
What did BD and DH tweet that suggests upcoming changes? What did I miss?
They both asked fans to tweet for more airtime and BD later tweeted that he had been told to "call the dogs off".

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Speaking of the crew, has there been any more news about the changes at Days?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

annie21

Sheri Anderson has said repeatedly in interviews that she isn't interested in taking on the stress of being head writer for a soap.

Several fans have suggested a scenario where she could be story consultant and help map out the storylines, while letting someone else take on the day-to-day hassles of HW duties. But we don't know if that's ever been a viable option for either her or the show.

Meanwhile, the third book in her Days of Our Lives trilogy has been put on indefinite hold per her latest Facebook post on 12/20/12.

lysie
Member Avatar

annie21
Jan 9 2013, 09:31 PM
Sheri Anderson has said repeatedly in interviews that she isn't interested in taking on the stress of being head writer for a soap.

Several fans have suggested a scenario where she could be story consultant and help map out the storylines, while letting someone else take on the day-to-day hassles of HW duties. But we don't know if that's ever been a viable option for either her or the show.

Meanwhile, the third book in her Days of Our Lives trilogy has been put on indefinite hold per her latest Facebook post on 12/20/12.

Do you know what interviews she said this in? I've seen reference to it but I don't think I've actually seen her say it. I'm curious to see her wording. I don't think her book was postponed because of her.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Kenny
Jan 9 2013, 02:32 PM
Supergirlx2
Jan 9 2013, 01:26 PM
Now that Days is hanging around for another year, can we get some real talent in to write the stories? Days needs someone who's willing to write some action/adventure/mystery/blackmail juiciness, not just teen baby drama & scratch the surface of what could be amazing & then take it in the direction no one wants it to go.
Will getting new writers really make a difference? It seems like no matter who writes this show, it's always a disappointing mess. Gary Tomlin, for all his faults, at least knew how to deliver compelling drama on other shows. He knew how to create over-the-top soapy moments. It's what he was known for. Sunset Beach, OLTL and Passions are all proof of that. Now he's on Days and his work is abysmal. The show is practically unwatchable. Just as it was unwatchable under M&D and Higley. There's something about Days that seems to make otherwise decent writers really shitty. It's a pattern I've noticed and it doesn't just apply to writers. The actors are phoning it in as well and have been for years. (Not counting ED and a few others.)

Changing writers never seems to make a difference in the quality of the show. It's almost like there's some sort of mandate to make the show as boring as humanly possible. Every single story that has the potential to be good always plays out in the most boring of ways. The more interesting path is never taken. The more exciting path is never taken. The drama has completely been sucked out of the show. It's as vanilla as it's ever been and I honestly don't see that changing, even with a new writer. I think there's a larger problem in that Ken Corday has forgotten what a soap opera is supposed to be and until someone wakes him up to the fact that safe and snoozy isn't going to cut it, nothing is going to change.
A show that doesn't fear it's own end will never try to improve itself. They had it easy this go around.

Days needs more than a reboot and new writers, it needs a complete gutting to drag it from 1993-on-repeat into 2013. Characters who are played out (including old ones, no matter how it may seem like it will hurt), writers, directors, producers, set designers, composers, editors ... everything. It all needs a shake up, from how the show looks and how the show is paced. And Ken Corday needs to go off to a beach somewhere and just collect paycheques.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

ShaneDOOLFan
Jan 9 2013, 07:59 PM
Sheri Anderson as a Co-Headwriter or Story Consultant at least, PLEASE DOOL! Make it happen.
The last thing Days needs is to further morph into a cheese romance novel with a shirtless man with a horse for a cover.
Edited by Drew, Jan 9 2013, 10:01 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Jan 9 2013, 09:29 PM
Haven't heard much. I see that the senior video person, Alexis Dellar Hanson, lists this month as her last at Days on her LinkedIn profile. Other than that, haven't seen any updates about anyone else though. Looks like the long-time cameraman Mike Mecartea retired back in October before all this happened, so his last episodes will be airing in the next few weeks. He'd been with "Days" since Santa Barbara was cancelled at the end of 1992.

lysie
Member Avatar

Drew
Jan 9 2013, 09:58 PM
Kenny
Supergirlx2
Now that Days is hanging around for another year, can we get some real talent in to write the stories? Days needs someone who's willing to write some action/adventure/mystery/blackmail juiciness, not just teen baby drama & scratch the surface of what could be amazing & then take it in the direction no one wants it to go.
Will getting new writers really make a difference? It seems like no matter who writes this show, it's always a disappointing mess. Gary Tomlin, for all his faults, at least knew how to deliver compelling drama on other shows. He knew how to create over-the-top soapy moments. It's what he was known for. Sunset Beach, OLTL and Passions are all proof of that. Now he's on Days and his work is abysmal. The show is practically unwatchable. Just as it was unwatchable under M&D and Higley. There's something about Days that seems to make otherwise decent writers really shitty. It's a pattern I've noticed and it doesn't just apply to writers. The actors are phoning it in as well and have been for years. (Not counting ED and a few others.)

Changing writers never seems to make a difference in the quality of the show. It's almost like there's some sort of mandate to make the show as boring as humanly possible. Every single story that has the potential to be good always plays out in the most boring of ways. The more interesting path is never taken. The more exciting path is never taken. The drama has completely been sucked out of the show. It's as vanilla as it's ever been and I honestly don't see that changing, even with a new writer. I think there's a larger problem in that Ken Corday has forgotten what a soap opera is supposed to be and until someone wakes him up to the fact that safe and snoozy isn't going to cut it, nothing is going to change.
A show that doesn't fear it's own end will never try to improve itself. They had it easy this go around.

Days needs more than a reboot and new writers, it needs a complete gutting to drag it from 1993-on-repeat into 2013. Characters who are played out (including old ones, no matter how it may seem like it will hurt), writers, directors, producers, set designers, composers, editors ... everything. It all needs a shake up, from how the show looks and how the show is paced. And Ken Corday needs to go off to a beach somewhere and just collect paycheques.
I think it's too late for that. If the show were going to last another decade, sure. I'd prefer they get a writer that knows the history of the show and will be willing to utilize it to tie up loose ends for all of Days' significant characters.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

The show gets a 20 month reprieve.... Glad people are not losing their jobs, but I would the show to at least be entertaining again...

Ireland98

Very Happy for the renewal....but can we get some writers that acknowledge character history and do some in character writing...and actually do some character development...and that don't want to repeat 2010...and that create some sort of mystery...and puts veteran characters to better use...and can do some consistent and non-biased writing...Please!!!

annie21

lysie
Jan 9 2013, 09:47 PM
annie21

Do you know what interviews she said this in? I've seen reference to it but I don't think I've actually seen her say it. I'm curious to see her wording. I don't think her book was postponed because of her.
Re: the book release delay... sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was her fault. I have no idea why it is, but was just including it because I came across her relatively new post when I checked her FB page.

Re: sources for her reluctance to return to soap writing... Good question. Like you, I've heard it mentioned repeatedly in message board discussions. And I mostly got that impression from hearing accounts of people who had met her on the book tour and asked her about writing for Days again. In any case, here are a few quotes from interviews/tweets I found online.

TV Guide article (indirect reference)
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Days-Lives-John-1020126.aspx
"I love this kind of writing because it gives me total freedom with the characters," says Anderson [about the first Days novel]. "I can take them to any lavish locale in the world and I don't have to worry about budget restrictions or actor contracts!"

Diva of DOOL Interview 6/8/10 (Go to minute 00:56:56)
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/diva-of-dool/2010/06/08/the-diva-of-days-of-our-lives-interviews-sheri-and

Summary: When asked whether she would ever return to writing soaps, she was diplomatic. She said she always says she would never do it, but that there is a draw to these stories. So she said she should never say never. However, she likes the freedom of sitting out by the pool and writing without having to worry. So she's pretty happy with the way things are at this time.

Twitter exchange on 3/11/11:
Brian Trippț@bjtripp2
@sheriawriter I wish that Gary Tomlin & Ken Corday would bring you back to Days as head writer. I love your new book Secret in Salem.

11 Mar 11Sheri Andersonț@sheriawriter
@bjtripp2 How sweet, but I'd never have the freedom to write the way I can for the novels. How they do so well these days is amazing to me!

chinkybig

I'm happy that they got renewed, as people who work really hard don't get to lose their jobs, especially the crew. On the other hand, I also dread what this renewal can bring to us viewers. It also gives further traction for these incompetent writers to write even more horrendous rubbish that they will try to shove down our throats.

lysie
Member Avatar

annie21
Jan 9 2013, 11:50 PM
lysie
annie21

Re: the book release delay... sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was her fault. I have no idea why it is, but was just including it because I came across her relatively new post when I checked her FB page.

Re: sources for her reluctance to return to soap writing... Good question. Like you, I've heard it mentioned repeatedly in message board discussions. And I mostly got that impression from hearing accounts of people who had met her on the book tour and asked her about writing for Days again. In any case, here are a few quotes from interviews/tweets I found online.

"I love this kind of writing because it gives me total freedom with the characters," says Anderson [about the first Days novel]. "I can take them to any lavish locale in the world and I don't have to worry about budget restrictions or actor contracts!"

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/diva-of-dool/2010/06/08/the-diva-of-days-of-our-lives-interviews-sheri-and

Summary: When asked whether she would ever return to writing soaps, she was diplomatic. She said she always says she would never do it, but that there is a draw to these stories. So she said she should never say never. However, she likes the freedom of sitting out by the pool and writing without having to worry. So she's pretty happy with the way things are at this time.

Brian Trippț@bjtripp2
@sheriawriter I wish that Gary Tomlin & Ken Corday would bring you back to Days as head writer. I love your new book Secret in Salem.

@bjtripp2 How sweet, but I'd never have the freedom to write the way I can for the novels. How they do so well these days is amazing to me!

I've always been under the impression that, as one of those interviews says, she was merely being diplomatic. She's stayed attached enough to the show that I have a hard time imagining she wouldn't want the job. But I know that there are some people who hear from her in other capacities, so I thought that might have come from them.

annie21

lysie
Jan 9 2013, 11:53 PM
annie21
Jan 9 2013, 11:50 PM
lysie
annie21

Brian Trippț@bjtripp2

I've always been under the impression that, as one of those interviews says, she was merely being diplomatic. She's stayed attached enough to the show that I have a hard time imagining she wouldn't want the job. But I know that there are some people who hear from her in other capacities, so I thought that might have come from them.
She represents Bryan Dattilo and Leann Hunley, among others. And she stays in touch with others like Greg Meng and Deidre Hall. So it's fairly clear she likes the show and the genre, but that doesn't mean she wants to take on the buzzsaw atmosphere of being the head writer.

However, I do wonder whether she would accept if they offered her some sort of story consultant role that would allow her the freedom to advise and map out stories without taking on the day-to-day hassles of budgets, actor contracts, set limitations, tight deadlines, and all the rest of the things she says she doesn't like.

Btw, I'm not one of those advocating to bring her back, although I'm not necessarily against it either.

ETA to clarify: the word "diplomatic" was mine in that summary of the audio interview. I considered using the word "coy" because her answer was generally vague. My take after listening to the previous fifty-six minutes was that she wasn't really interested in being head writer, but since she had just spent fifty-six minutes talking about the show, she didn't want to flat out say uh-uh, no way.

Edited by annie21, Jan 10 2013, 12:10 AM.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

lysie
Jan 9 2013, 10:05 PM
Drew
Jan 9 2013, 09:58 PM
Kenny
Supergirlx2

I think it's too late for that. If the show were going to last another decade, sure. I'd prefer they get a writer that knows the history of the show and will be willing to utilize it to tie up loose ends for all of Days' significant characters.
No, a full revamp is pretty much impossible at this point that's true. There's no money anymore.

But there's still so much they could do with what they have. They have no money, this is known. So why are they still trying to tell DiMera intrigue, Princess Gina and cop stories? A teen pregnancy costs nothing, neither do eating disorders, financial problems, a career struggle/aspiration, mental illness, addiction, dementia/alzheimers, or a steamy secret affair.

There's a wealth of topics that don't require new sets, stunts or effects that could be peppered in with the typical romance that would make the show a thousand times more interesting.

King of Hearts
Member Avatar

I'm a fan of the show, so I'm happy that they get to stick around for another year.

Storywise, I'm "somewhat" enjoying the stories that are currently being told.

I don't think they need to do a complete reboot (it failed in 2011.) I just think they need to spice a few things up a little. I agree that they need a writer who is familar with the show history, but in my honest opinion, I could do without the "supercouple" era and test a few people around just to make things feel refreshing instead of seeing the same couples together.

I'm all for a new set (similar to Y&R's) just to make the scenarios more refreshing.

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Jason47
Jan 9 2013, 10:01 PM
granolagirl
Jan 9 2013, 09:29 PM
Haven't heard much. I see that the senior video person, Alexis Dellar Hanson, lists this month as her last at Days on her LinkedIn profile. Other than that, haven't seen any updates about anyone else though. Looks like the long-time cameraman Mike Mecartea retired back in October before all this happened, so his last episodes will be airing in the next few weeks. He'd been with "Days" since Santa Barbara was cancelled at the end of 1992.
Thank you, Jason!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply