Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Variety: Sudser with a social conscience
Topic Started: Jan 10 2013, 10:08 AM (2,830 Views)
am103
Member Avatar

I see a positive and a negative here. The good news: is that Days is getting good press for a being a diverse and current soap. The bad news: is that Days is getting good press for being a diverse and current soap.

I think it's great that Days can tell stories with interracial couples like Abby/Cameron or Gabi/Nick and that they can have a gay couple on the show like Will/Sonny, but I don't want Days to just be known for those things. I don't want Days to be considered 'vanilla' compared to the other soaps. I want crazy stuff happening again! Yes, being current and up-to-speed with the times is great, but only if they can manage to keep things entertaining and exciting at the same time.
Edited by am103, Jan 10 2013, 01:58 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

camera shy
Jan 10 2013, 01:52 PM
JessicaLeigh
Jan 10 2013, 01:39 PM
camera shy
Jan 10 2013, 01:09 PM
JessicaLeigh
Jan 10 2013, 12:47 PM
Abe and Kayla interracial love story > Abby and Cameron interracial love story

Tell this story and tell it meaningfully, DAYS! Kayla brings it in all of her scenes, and they regularly don't give her much to work with.
Aren't Nick and Gabi and Sami and Rafe interacial? Or is it only considered interacial when it's black and white and then it becomes a issue? Ive' never once seen the matter of race brought up with Nabi or Safe.
Fair point. Though from an anthropological perspective, the concept of race is rather cloudy anyway. Many Latinos consider themselves caucasian. Many do not. I don't want to nerd out on you, and this probably isn't the place to discuss/debate this, so I won't but I understand where you're coming from. Though I don't think it was ever legally prohibited for non-Hispanic whites and Hispanic/Latino people people to marry, and it was for white and black people in some states until the mid-20th century, so that's probably why it's considered a marker of social progress to see black-white relationships portrayed with no controversy today. There is still a dearth of black-white relationships on TV today IMO. White-Latino relationships might be more common. The first one that immediately comes to mind is Jay and Gloria on Modern Family - but I don't know what the actual breakdown is in numbers.
Yes, I understand that a great many Hispanics think of themselves as white, but Rafe and Gabi are suppose to be Mexican American and aren't they considered part of the brown race? And whats more, because of Mexico had a rule against returning slaves, a great many slaves fled to Mexico where they spent the rest of their entire lives there and as a result, many Mexican have African ancestry. And in the past, I don't believe Mexican Americans shared the same rights as white Americans.
I don't dispute any of this. I haven't disputed anything you've said. I simply stated some facts. I don't know how the Hernandez family identifies themselves, racially or otherwise. We know very little about even their mother, much less their ancestors and those ancestors' possible racial origins. I didn't know they are Mexican-American. I wasn't sure if they were meant to be of Mexican origin or Puerto Rican origin or Central or South American origin. I don't recall it ever being discussed. It probably has been, I just don't remember.

LucasHortonFan
Please write 4 Bryan Dattilo, Give him a love interest.

Vicky4Mimi
Jan 10 2013, 10:16 AM
I think that at one time all that was true..but now..not so much. The whole Ej with Sami thing loses everything the show use to stand for. Putting her with him after the past (and present) they have it so NOT the message they need to be sending out! I wonder if the author of this article is aware of this huge mistake DAYS is playing with right now?
I completely agree! Ej and Sami imho sends a horrible message to people. Its says, let the guy do whatever he wants to you and your family and its okay. That has always floored me that these two are still even in each other's orbits. She excuses his bad behavior like its okay, its not okay. For shame Days, this is what you are all about? No thanks, I'll pass!

Lil
Member Avatar

am103
Jan 10 2013, 01:58 PM
I see a positive and a negative here. The good news: is that Days is getting good press for a being a diverse and current soap. The bad news: is that Days is getting good press for being a diverse and current soap.

I think it's great that Days can tell stories with interracial couples like Abby/Cameron or Gabi/Nick and that they can have a gay couple on the show like Will/Sonny, but I don't want Days to just be known for those things. I don't want Days to be considered 'vanilla' compared to the other soaps. I want crazy stuff happening again! Yes, being current and up-to-speed with the times is great, but only if they can manage to keep things entertaining and exciting at the same time.
I agree. Since my return to watching DAYS, I have been waiting and waiting for that total insanity that DAYS used to have in the 90's / early 2000's where I couldn't WAIT to see what happened and the teases, twists and turns. This show has not had me on the edge of my seat once since then. I'm really not overly concerned with the "realism" they try to portray because for the most part- They suck at it. I want some over-the-top DiMera kidnapping and microchipping and murderous villains (even short term ones like Franco or whatever...Andrew was a start, but that went to waste too) Not the Days of Sami's Vagina or other such bullshit that I don't care about lol DAYS used to be so much fun. And Eileen and Deidre have been great, Chandler and Arianne also have great moments...but I want some old-school nuttiness back. I want just once to be able to say "Holy shit!" when the big payoff comes. The problem now is that there ARE no big payoffs anymore, nor is there any kind of build to those payoffs. Everytime it starts to happen, the s/l is over in the blink of an eye.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think you could argue that it doesn't matter how the characters or actors see themselves; it's how the audience does. That's the "fun" thing about race- sometimes you're pulled into it whether you want to be or not because ethnic/racial identity can't just be self-defined (imho, of course, and in my life experience).

Which I guess means Rafe/Sami and Gabi/Nick could go either way in terms of being described as interracial. By not mentioning it as an example, the author of the article helps define it as not being one, in a way. But if a viewer sees it that way then they are. Although...maybe a better sign of progress would be to say that the writers saw them that way but nobody picked up on it as such, because it's just that well integrated a show. I like that thought a little better than Cameron/Abby as some kind of icon of progress.

JMHO.

And I totally want to see more crazy on the show.

camera shy

JessicaLeigh
Jan 10 2013, 01:58 PM
camera shy
Jan 10 2013, 01:52 PM
JessicaLeigh
camera shy

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Fair point. Though from an anthropological perspective, the concept of race is rather cloudy anyway. Many Latinos consider themselves caucasian. Many do not. I don't want to nerd out on you, and this probably isn't the place to discuss/debate this, so I won't but I understand where you're coming from. Though I don't think it was ever legally prohibited for non-Hispanic whites and Hispanic/Latino people people to marry, and it was for white and black people in some states until the mid-20th century, so that's probably why it's considered a marker of social progress to see black-white relationships portrayed with no controversy today. There is still a dearth of black-white relationships on TV today IMO. White-Latino relationships might be more common. The first one that immediately comes to mind is Jay and Gloria on Modern Family - but I don't know what the actual breakdown is in numbers.
Yes, I understand that a great many Hispanics think of themselves as white, but Rafe and Gabi are suppose to be Mexican American and aren't they considered part of the brown race? And whats more, because of Mexico had a rule against returning slaves, a great many slaves fled to Mexico where they spent the rest of their entire lives there and as a result, many Mexican have African ancestry. And in the past, I don't believe Mexican Americans shared the same rights as white Americans.
I don't dispute any of this. I haven't disputed anything you've said. I simply stated some facts. I don't know how the Hernandez family identifies themselves, racially or otherwise. We know very little about even their mother, much less their ancestors and those ancestors' possible racial origins. I didn't know they are Mexican-American. I wasn't sure if they were meant to be of Mexican origin or Puerto Rican origin or Central or South American origin. I don't recall it ever being discussed. It probably has been, I just don't remember.
I apologize if I sounded like I was brow beating you, I didn't mean to. And on one final note on race, the first actress to play the role of Ariana, Rafe and Gabi's sister was part black and Nicole's father was Hispanic. I know someone here will remember his name and explain where Walker came from.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

I totally forgot Nicole's father was Hispanic. Where DID Walker come from?

Will&Sonny

His name was Paul Mendez. "Walker" is Fay's surname (or maiden name, to be more precise).
Edited by Will&Sonny, Jan 10 2013, 03:17 PM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

When are we going to get an EXCITING storyline...romance is great, but we need GOOD VILLAINS!

lysie
Member Avatar

I don't see how the Hernandez relationships could possibly not be considered mixed race. It's like...in a way it's good that that's not an issue but then again it's not good that one seems to be considered "diverse" and the other doesn't .

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 10 2013, 03:23 PM
I don't see how the Hernandez relationships could possibly not be considered mixed race. It's like...in a way it's good that that's not an issue but then again it's not good that one seems to be considered "diverse" and the other doesn't .
Hell, technically any relationship Nicole has ever had was/is a mixed race relationship.
Edited by Bright Eyes, Jan 10 2013, 03:35 PM.

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

"You always have to find ways of re-inventing the wheel, but people watch the show for romance, to get that emotional satisfaction from watching two people fall in love," he says. "That's our bread and butter."

what romance? there hasn't been any! this is total crap!

if their idea of falling in love consist to watch a couple like dannifer then they are demented.

J&M,Bope, J&J <---------- those ARE the couples who fell in love and their story was ROMANTIC.

they don't even know anymore the difference between love and lust. :shame:

concerned
Member Avatar

"These are controversial and slippery slopes"

The fact that they still think gay relationships and interracial relationships are "controversial and slippery slopes" shows how backwards and bigoted they are.
Seriously do they not watch other television shows - its been done - a lot - for a long time - you have missed the boat there.

Better send them a copy of the Queer Ass Folk DVD set to celebrate their renewal.

camera shy

lysie
Jan 10 2013, 03:23 PM
Well on Passions they had a characters who looked down on the Mexican American family and made racist comments and this family was suppose to be only half Mexican and the other half was Irish. Yet no one ever made any nasty remarks about the Irish side.

camera shy

You know in some ways they've done well with race if you think about it. Remember David And Valerie? And then we had Stefano and Cleste, Brandon and Sami, Abe and Fay, Abby and Cameron and EJ, Chad and Nicole all had black siblings. And with the exception of David and Valerie the couples who came afterwards were done without anyone batting an eye.

camera shy

px780
Jan 10 2013, 02:35 PM
I think you could argue that it doesn't matter how the characters or actors see themselves; it's how the audience does. That's the "fun" thing about race- sometimes you're pulled into it whether you want to be or not because ethnic/racial identity can't just be self-defined (imho, of course, and in my life experience).

Which I guess means Rafe/Sami and Gabi/Nick could go either way in terms of being described as interracial. By not mentioning it as an example, the author of the article helps define it as not being one, in a way. But if a viewer sees it that way then they are. Although...maybe a better sign of progress would be to say that the writers saw them that way but nobody picked up on it as such, because it's just that well integrated a show. I like that thought a little better than Cameron/Abby as some kind of icon of progress.

JMHO.

And I totally want to see more crazy on the show.
Remember that old Seinfeld show when Elaine was dating this guy and she wasn't sure he if was black or white and kept testing him with stuff to find out? :D

bomber
Member Avatar

The Cameron/Abby relationship was barely a blip on the radar so i don't get why they are showcasing that as an example. If anything, the fact they backed out of sex is almost a slap in the face to social conscience, although I know race wasn't the reason for it. Had to laugh at the comment about Jen not being worried about race. I'm pretty sure Abby's relationships are the last thing she would worry about - unless Abby decided to chase after Dr Orange!
Edited by bomber, Jan 10 2013, 05:29 PM.

annie21

JessicaLeigh
camera shy
JessicaLeigh
Jan 10 2013, 12:47 PM
Abe and Kayla interracial love story > Abby and Cameron interracial love story

Tell this story and tell it meaningfully, DAYS! Kayla brings it in all of her scenes, and they regularly don't give her much to work with.
Aren't Nick and Gabi and Sami and Rafe interacial? Or is it only considered interacial when it's black and white and then it becomes a issue? Ive' never once seen the matter of race brought up with Nabi or Safe.
Asserting my own nerd-like tendencies...

Here are the five race categories currently included for the US Census: White, Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.

According to the US Census Bureau: "People may choose to report more than one race to indicate their racial mixture, such as “American Indian” and “White.” People who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race."

IIRC, they used to break out "White" and "White-Hispanic," but I gathered that was more because they wanted to track that for purposes of planning social and education programs for Latinos and for matters related to civil rights. Apparently, that got changed for the 2010 census. And the issue is still evolving, per an article from this month:

http://laprensa-sandiego.org/editorial-and-commentary/commentary/some-critical-thoughts-on-the-census-bureaus-proposals-to-change-the-race-and-hispanic-questions/

annie21

concerned
Jan 10 2013, 04:38 PM
"These are controversial and slippery slopes"

The fact that they still think gay relationships and interracial relationships are "controversial and slippery slopes" shows how backwards and bigoted they are.
Seriously do they not watch other television shows - its been done - a lot - for a long time - you have missed the boat there.

Better send them a copy of the Queer Ass Folk DVD set to celebrate their renewal.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but, unfortunately, when you look at some of the postings on their FB page, it's still a controversial story for a lot of Days viewers.

annie21

bomber
Jan 10 2013, 05:28 PM
The Cameron/Abby relationship was barely a blip on the radar so i don't get why they are showcasing that as an example. If anything, the fact they backed out of sex is almost a slap in the face to social conscience, although I know race wasn't the reason for it. Had to laugh at the comment about Jen not being worried about race. I'm pretty sure Abby's relationships are the last thing she would worry about - unless Abby decided to chase after Dr Orange!
True, but it looks like the Abby and nu-Cameron relationship could be about to begin.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply