Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ali Sweeney THR interview
Topic Started: Jan 11 2013, 11:15 AM (2,459 Views)
Ellie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/days-lives-12000th-episode-alison-410541
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Quote:

One thing they will concede is that I'm the only one there who has been there for every single scene of the same character for over 20 years, so I do have a certain place to stand on to have that conversation.

WHAT? I don't even know what she means by this. Do we not count "Stan"? Is she saying that Deidre and Drake's year and a half off means they haven't played consistent characters? Huh?

The reason she has input and no one else does has nothing to do with whatever bogus self-important reason she's making up here.

As always, I can't stand her interviews. I can't even imagine what it's like to work with her, given that it's so excruciating to read about a short conversation with her.

AFaithL

I love how she mentions that she doesn't have any storyline control, when in fact she DID insist that Sami's pregnancy be written into the show.

Also, if Ali gets to "change" dialogue to fit Sami, then Drake and Deidre should get the same privilege. And yes, they've been on longer than Sweeney and "know" their characters inside out, too.

Edited by AFaithL, Jan 11 2013, 11:28 AM.

jam6242
Member Avatar

That quote had me shaking my head too. I'm hoping she was referring to the writers and not the other actors.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 11 2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:

One thing they will concede is that I'm the only one there who has been there for every single scene of the same character for over 20 years, so I do have a certain place to stand on to have that conversation.

WHAT? I don't even know what she means by this. Do we not count "Stan"? Is she saying that Deidre and Drake's year and a half off means they haven't played consistent characters? Huh?

The reason she has input and no one else does has nothing to do with whatever bogus self-important reason she's making up here.

As always, I can't stand her interviews. I can't even imagine what it's like to work with her, given that it's so excruciating to read about a short conversation with her.
Jim, Peggy and Suzanne have all been there longer, except for when they were "killed off" for a few months. They are still working off of those same contracts though, so that's why they are still ahead of Ali in the credits. And, Suzanne was only gone for that one year due to her myasthenia gravis. She'll be with the show 40 years this August, minus her one year of medical leave.

lysie
Member Avatar

That quote makes no sense.

And she hasn't won multiple Daytime Emmy Awards. She's won one Fan voted Emmy and has never been nominated for the actual award.

Her favorite storyline doesn't fail to crack me up.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Wonder what storyline at the time Sweeney hated?

I found it a hard interview. She clearly thinks highly of herself.

Hamilton
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jan 11 2013, 01:30 PM
Wonder what storyline at the time Sweeney hated?

I found it a hard interview. She clearly thinks highly of herself.
I hope it was the grief sex and the way they tried to ridiculously mirror it to what happened with Marlena, John and Roman. Even JS recently said he still needed someone to explain the grief sex to him. I don't think that went down well with the actors.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Ellie
Quote:

I didn't read that as relating to other actors at all, but to the writers. As in "of all the people creating this character I'm the only one who's been working with her for 20 years," so she has some credibility when it comes to discussing how Sami is supposed to be.

I don't see it as that unreasonable of a comment. Excluding Corday, I don't think there are any producers or writers that have been around as long as Sweeney has. I think if she hadn't said something indicating that she cares about the character's integrity she'd be slammed.

I dunno. The comment kind of works for me. Now whether I agree with her take on Sami is a different issue...

anya
Member Avatar

I did a little looking around, and she announced on her website that she was writing a novel in late April, 2012. She said she was actually almost done with it. I don't know that there is anyway to determine when she started it and what storyline she was frustrated with. :unsure:

nolagirl
Member Avatar

My take on the article is that she knows her characters so well because she's actually acting like herself. Self indulged spoiled brat who gets what she wants. :-/

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm not even going to read this, because you'll never hear the end of it from me otherwise. I'm unfortunately pretty inflexible when it comes to my opinion of her Diva-ness, and this will only strengthen my opinion further, and not in a good way.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

I found the article hard to follow in places and what was she talking about when she referred to something coming for Sami down the line-- finding out that Will was the daddy and she was a grandma or something else farther along in time.

And whoa-- the wedding was filmed 4 months ago? I thought 3 1/2 months ahead was bad. No wonder the actors give quirky interviews about storylines.

Lady Evol

px780
Jan 11 2013, 03:23 PM
Ellie
Quote:

I didn't read that as relating to other actors at all, but to the writers. As in "of all the people creating this character I'm the only one who's been working with her for 20 years," so she has some credibility when it comes to discussing how Sami is supposed to be.

I don't see it as that unreasonable of a comment. Excluding Corday, I don't think there are any producers or writers that have been around as long as Sweeney has. I think if she hadn't said something indicating that she cares about the character's integrity she'd be slammed.

I dunno. The comment kind of works for me. Now whether I agree with her take on Sami is a different issue...
I took it as her saying that she's the only one who has portrayed Sami since she started the character, :hail: so she has more credibility with the writers than actors who play characters who have had multiple actors. Since she's the only one who can say something like that, it makes sense that the writers would bow to her superior knowledge. It's not like she's some hack like Kristian, Dierdre, Suzanne, John... ohhhh... waiiitttt...

:shrug:
Edited by Lady Evol, Jan 14 2013, 01:32 AM.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

Lady Evol
Jan 14 2013, 01:30 AM
px780
Jan 11 2013, 03:23 PM
Ellie
Quote:

I took it as her saying that she's the only one who has portrayed Sami since she started the character, :hail: so she has more credibility with the writers than actors who play characters who have had multiple actors. Since she's the only one who can say something like that, it makes sense that the writers would bow to her superior knowledge. It's not like she's some hack like Kristian, Dierdre, Suzanne, John... ohhhh... waiiitttt...

:shrug:
I Think what she meant she the only one in last 20 years on same role without break which kinda true

Kristian[hope]started in 1983-1987 and came back for for short time in 1990 and came back in 1994 and have not had break for 19 years but in last few years they bit backbutrn hope for likes rafe/sami/ej so in way it there was break

Deidre Hall[marlena]June 21, 1976 to 1987; 1991 to January 23, 2009 than it been over 2 years break until 2011 becuase they fired her
Drake [john]January 10, 1986 to October 26, 2007 than Drake was fird and brought back
in January 8, 2008 to January 23, 2009 than it been over 2 years break until 2011 becuase they fired him

John Aniston[victor]
1985 to 1997; 1999 to 2004 [contract]; 2004 to Present [recurring]we do not see victor lot for few years like in 2007
John Aniston (Victor Kiriakis) 8

Suzanne Rogers[maggie]
1974 to 1984; 1985 to November 2003 was fired and than came back in 2004 to Present we do not see maggie lot for few years

Bryan Dattilo[lucas]
1993 to March 27, 2001 [contract] than fired February 2002 to July 2002 [recurring]; September 2, 2002 to February 18, 2010 than fired June 21, 2010 to June 28, 2010 [recurring]; February 29, 2012 to Present [contract]

bill Hayes seem only in last few seem to be only in hoilydays and events

jullie ,bo,jennifer.Caroline they all in some point were recast

alison take for the actors than never recast and been as long as she is and some more than her but did break during in last 20 yeat but not due their will but becasue the people in charge it hard swllow of what aliosn mean no matter how you Interpret of she was saying of all stuff she saying in interview
Edited by Partnersincrime, Jan 14 2013, 03:56 AM.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

Ellie
Quote:

i do wonder if this alison does not count the girl that played sami from 1984

Ashleigh Blair Sterling was playing sami 1986 to 1990 and Christina Wagoner from 1990 to 1992

i think she does not count stan since we heard her voice and saw tons of flashbacks

if alison meant the writers not the actors which way worse due how her character
is written now if this how sami is written that alison have certain place to stand on to conversation with writers of her character and why the other actors whicn been long time does not get the same treatment and able to certain place to stand on to conversation with writers of their characters

lysie
Member Avatar

When I went back and read that quote a second time, it didn't sound as bad. I don't think it's a slight at other actors, but just her saying that she has more experience with the character than the writers. Meanwhile, I find it HILARIOUS that her favorite time with Sami is during a time that's widely been criticized online as being out of character.

cajnej
Member Avatar

I did not mind the interview, and did not find any of the comments made by Alison either controversial or dreadful or that she feels more important than anyone else on the show. I think that she always tries hard to keep her fans and her employer's happy and if she was a difficult person at all the producers would have got rid of her years ago. I congratulate Alison for chalking up 20 years on the show. I know that she is always very gracious with her tweeting and thanking fans for any gifts or good wishes that are sent to her and she generally posts a photo when fans send in things to her or to whoever she is locked in with at the trime either, "SAFE" or "LUMI" or "EJAMI" related. I admit I do like both the actress and the character so I am not looking to the worst side of the interview or if she may have not got every fact 100% correct but I am sure that not getting every fact correct could be said af any of the actors that give interviews.

I have been a die hard Jack and Jennifer fan since they did their first scenes together and although it pains me to say this I think Alison does a far better interview, hands down, than any I have read that Melissa Reeves has done ( as well as how utterly ridiculous Crystal Chappel one sounded as she was promoting her book!!!) But that is how it goes. Many will think the interview with Ali is crap, while others thought it was okay

I also do not think that it is Alison saying she has won multiple Emmy's etc but rather the interviewer making those claims.

lysie
Member Avatar

Quote:

I also do not think that it is Alison saying she has won multiple Emmy's etc but rather the interviewer making those claims.

It was definitely the interviewer. I (and I think I"m the only one who mentioned it) didn't assign blame to her for that reason.

cajnej
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 14 2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:

It was definitely the interviewer. I (and I think I"m the only one who mentioned it) didn't assign blame to her for that reason.

Good on you Lysie, I know you always look at things fairly!!! :applause:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply