Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Alison Sweeney MSN TV Buzz interview
Topic Started: Jan 15 2013, 04:12 PM (5,570 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

tomsawyer
Jan 16 2013, 11:38 PM
camera shy
Jan 16 2013, 11:29 PM
We already know she chooses EJ....that is after Rafe takes himself out the picture.....and we know EJ and Sami will have a lot of story....according to Ken Corday......and also know the big question will be does Sami still love Rafe or is EJ really the man for her? .....according to Ken Corday. AS never came straight out and said Ejami was going to happen as a real couple with Sami thinking of no one but EJ.
I don't see how it's "Rafe taking himself out of the picture" when the Safe break-up looks to be pretty darn mutual.
From what we've seen thus far, it doesn't look that mutual. Not that Sami has been longing or showing to want him with her or anything, but the one expressing that she isn't the person he thought she was has been Rafe thus far, with his conversation with Eric. If we just take the fight on the day of the wedding (not what we have spoiled that happens next week), this breakup for now is nothing more than a huge fight between the two, one that Rafe seems to have taken very seriously and is pretty much disgusted with Sami's behavior in this whole thing. Sami appears to be more upset with Gabi than Rafe, Rafe is more upset with Sami than Will. He's seen Sami's behavior and attack on his sister as irrational. I don't particularly agree with him mind you, but that is the way it's playing out. Unless it changes soon and Sami starts saying things that make me think that she doesn't understand how she could ever want to be with him, then I would say the one that seems to be distancing himself more from her is Rafe.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jan 17 2013, 09:09 AM
tomsawyer
I don't see how it's "Rafe taking himself out of the picture" when the Safe break-up looks to be pretty darn mutual.
From what we've seen thus far, it doesn't look that mutual. Not that Sami has been longing or showing to want him with her or anything, but the one expressing that she isn't the person he thought she was has been Rafe thus far, with his conversation with Eric. If we just take the fight on the day of the wedding (not what we have spoiled that happens next week), this breakup for now is nothing more than a huge fight between the two, one that Rafe seems to have taken very seriously and is pretty much disgusted with Sami's behavior in this whole thing. Sami appears to be more upset with Gabi than Rafe, Rafe is more upset with Sami than Will. He's seen Sami's behavior and attack on his sister as irrational. I don't particularly agree with him mind you, but that is the way it's playing out. Unless it changes soon and Sami starts saying things that make me think that she doesn't understand how she could ever want to be with him, then I would say the one that seems to be distancing himself more from her is Rafe.
In her conversation with EJ afterwards, Sami specifically mentioned that Rafe's accusations against Will really bothered her. She may not have used as harsh of language as Rafe used with Eric to describe her feelings, but she was clearly upset with Rafe in addition to Gabi. Plus, the fact that AS has spoiled that Sami makes a choice indicates to me that this break-up is as much Sami's decision as it is Rafe's. I'm assuming we will have more insight into this after Safe's fight next week.

esp13
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 17 2013, 11:30 AM
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
In her conversation with EJ afterwards, Sami specifically mentioned that Rafe's accusations against Will really bothered her. She may not have used as harsh of language as Rafe used with Eric to describe her feelings, but she was clearly upset with Rafe in addition to Gabi. Plus, the fact that AS has spoiled that Sami makes a choice indicates to me that this break-up is as much Sami's decision as it is Rafe's. I'm assuming we will have more insight into this after Safe's fight next week.
I don't know. At this point, the whole Safe break-up still seems to be about Will and Gabi not them. Rafe is mad because Sami didn't support Gabi and Sami is mad that Rafe didn't support Will. The whole thing with Everett at Sami's apartment felt llike it was intended to be a contrast. Rafe blamed Will, Everett supported Will, ergo Sami would rather be with Everett now. But it didn't feel like a choice or a epiphany for Sami about Rafe. It felt like if Rafe had been more supportive of Will she'd still want to be with him.

It just shows how interchangeable the characters are because if the positions had been reversed (throw in Chad instead of Will) and Everett was attacking Gabi while Sami was attacking Chad, then Sami would have been at home with Rafe instead of Everett. That, to me, makes it feel like none of this is about Sami and Rafe. And that, for me, makes this feel like Everett "winning" by default rather than Sami making a real choice.

So, as I have said before, I hope that the next Safe fight goes beyond Gabi and Will if they are going to try and convince people that Sami is making a choice. But, even at that, I still think they set this up badly. If they really wanted to show Sami making a choice, we should have seen her be far more uncertain about reuniting with Rafe before the wedding. We should have seen him pushing and her being noncomittal and thinking of Everett when she was with Rafe. But, instead, it was the reverse.

I'm sure they are going with Evami and since I think anybody who ends up with Sami is the loser, I don't really care one way or another. But, if there isn't more of a character based break-up than what we've seen, I can't blame people for feeling like Everett is the default option. That's not Everett's fault, or even Sami's, it's the way the writing has set it up.

camera shy

LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
camera shy
Jan 16 2013, 11:29 PM
We already know she chooses EJ....that is after Rafe takes himself out the picture.....and we know EJ and Sami will have a lot of story....according to Ken Corday......and also know the big question will be does Sami still love Rafe or is EJ really the man for her? .....according to Ken Corday. AS never came straight out and said Ejami was going to happen as a real couple with Sami thinking of no one but EJ.
When she came home and found EJ sitting in her apartment and she started doing her usual bitching and moaning routine, she had the perfect opportunity to say how wrong she was to choose Rafe and how she was done with him........it's not like he wasn't on her mind and EJ would have known the truth. And since, they did have her choose Rafe and not EJ, that tells me Ejami won't be the rooting couple.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

esp13
Jan 17 2013, 11:48 AM
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
I don't know. At this point, the whole Safe break-up still seems to be about Will and Gabi not them. Rafe is mad because Sami didn't support Gabi and Sami is mad that Rafe didn't support Will. The whole thing with Everett at Sami's apartment felt llike it was intended to be a contrast. Rafe blamed Will, Everett supported Will, ergo Sami would rather be with Everett now. But it didn't feel like a choice or a epiphany for Sami about Rafe. It felt like if Rafe had been more supportive of Will she'd still want to be with him.

It just shows how interchangeable the characters are because if the positions had been reversed (throw in Chad instead of Will) and Everett was attacking Gabi while Sami was attacking Chad, then Sami would have been at home with Rafe instead of Everett. That, to me, makes it feel like none of this is about Sami and Rafe. And that, for me, makes this feel like Everett "winning" by default rather than Sami making a real choice.

So, as I have said before, I hope that the next Safe fight goes beyond Gabi and Will if they are going to try and convince people that Sami is making a choice. But, even at that, I still think they set this up badly. If they really wanted to show Sami making a choice, we should have seen her be far more uncertain about reuniting with Rafe before the wedding. We should have seen him pushing and her being noncomittal and thinking of Everett when she was with Rafe. But, instead, it was the reverse.

I'm sure they are going with Evami and since I think anybody who ends up with Sami is the loser, I don't really care one way or another. But, if there isn't more of a character based break-up than what we've seen, I can't blame people for feeling like Everett is the default option. That's not Everett's fault, or even Sami's, it's the way the writing has set it up.
ITA. I just think the setup to this story is just bad. If they wanted to do Evami the thing to do was show that she DIDN'T want to fully commit to being with Rafe post wedding. That is exactly what she did and it's not like they showed her hesitant about sleeping with Rafe or anything after she agreed to reconcile. If it wasn't for Hope, they would have had at least a quickie right before the wedding. Even the scenes of them kissing at the wedding, holding hands being all cuddly were meant to display that Sami was happy with that choice. Now the breakup is more about Will and Gabi than it is about Safe and that is the problem they will have if they try to sell Evami. Unless they have Ej back away totally (and I don't mean from sex solely), I mean period....but even then, if that happens, Rafe still doesn't want her and even if Ej took himself away, he's still very much available to her if she wanted him to be...Rafe not so much.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer

I guess I come out somewhere in the middle on this, as I think we are talking about two seperate, but related issues. One, I think the break-up is mutual, but two, I think the break-up is not primarily because of Safe's own issues (at least thus far).

Regarding whether the break-up is mutual....
Sami is obviously going to choose Everett and I think it is looking to be as much her choice as it is Rafe not wanting to be with her. In that way, it's not just that Rafe is "taking himself out of the race," it's also that Sami would rather not be with him either. For Everett to be Sami's second choice, she would have to want to be with Rafe and settling for Everett because Rafe doesn't want her. That's not what I see going on.

Regarding the reasons for the break-up....
I agree that the reason for the Safe break-up (at least as we have seen it thus far) seems to be more about their reactions to the Wabi baby than about Safe's own issues. We've seen glimpses that they are realizing that each other aren't who they thought they were (Sami's response of "of course you do" when Rafe said he knows what's going on, and Rafe's comment about Sami's "true colors"), but I'd like to see their next fight have more of this. If it's just because of the Wabi baby, I agree the break-up isn't as solid of a break-up. However, if Safe's reactions to the baby made them realize that they have bigger issues (e.g. Sami sees that Rafe is too judgmental and Rafe sees that Sami is too selfish), then I think the break-up has more teeth. I think we have to see what happens with their fight next week to judge how real the break-up is.

esp13
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 17 2013, 01:11 PM
esp13
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I guess I come out somewhere in the middle on this, as I think we are talking about two seperate, but related issues. One, I think the break-up is mutual, but two, I think the break-up is not primarily because of Safe's own issues (at least thus far).

Sami is obviously going to choose Everett and I think it is looking to be as much her choice as it is Rafe not wanting to be with her. In that way, it's not just that Rafe is "taking himself out of the race," it's also that Sami would rather not be with him either. For Everett to be Sami's second choice, she would have to want to be with Rafe and settling for Everett because Rafe doesn't want her. That's not what I see going on.

I agree that the reason for the Safe break-up (at least as we have seen it thus far) seems to be more about their reactions to the Wabi baby than about Safe's own issues. We've seen glimpses that they are realizing that each other aren't who they thought they were (Sami's response of "of course you do" when Rafe said he knows what's going on, and Rafe's comment about Sami's "true colors"), but I'd like to see their next fight have more of this. If it's just because of the Wabi baby, I agree the break-up isn't as solid of a break-up. However, if Safe's reactions to the baby made them realize that they have bigger issues (e.g. Sami sees that Rafe is too judgmental and Rafe sees that Sami is too selfish), then I think the break-up has more teeth. I think we have to see what happens with their fight next week to judge how real the break-up is.
I agree entirely with the second part. If this next fight is more about them, then a lot (though not all) of the issues may be resolved.

As to the first part, I agree the only way Everett is second choice is if Sami wants to be with Rafe but settles for Everett. My point is that it will be hard to know if Sami is settling or not if the break-up with Rafe is about Wabi. There was another time she appeared to choose Everett when she was mad at Rafe about something and that didn't stick. And that's the last thing I want to see here. If she's really going to choose Everett then I want to know that it's not about being mad at Rafe and, unfortunately, with as fast as they seem to be going with this, that's what it feels like.

Hopefully, it will play out differently. My primary concern is that I'd like to believe the triangle of suck is finally going to over. But as it's playing out right now, I'm not sure I can buy that.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

tomsawyer
esp13
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi

This is how I see it, as well. I feel like the post-wedding fight was the warning shot, so to speak. They were both vehemently defending their sister/son and that was driving their anger - but the way they went about it really does speak to the weakness that's always been evident in their relationship. Rafe has a really hard time seeing that version of Sami - the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when she feels violated, betrayed, threatened, etc. And Rafe's judgmental attitude has always been a problem. Rafe had Will tried and convicted when it came to 'shirking' his responsibilities as the baby's father and he saw Gabi as a victim, pure and simple. Looking back it's a pity he didn't show the same protective, loyal instincts to Arianna.

I think the next fight(s) will continue to bring their underlying issues to the surface. And in the meantime the writing for Everett is done to show a sharp contrast - understanding and supportive versus combative and indignant. It seems to me the plan is to continue to evolve EJeverett into the new Lexi-ized DiMera. Loves his family and is supportive of his siblings but working hard to distance himself from his father's ways and focusing on setting a good example for his own kids and building a life of his own. My guess is in the end it was the only way TPTB would finally attempt to go with EJami (for however long that lasts). For whatever reason they've always seemed to feel that Sami has to be perceived as a heroine in order to be a lead and thus couldn't be with EJ in a real relationship. Perhaps EJeverett is their solution to that - and bringing Kristen on the canvas just after losing Lexie gave them the opportunity to put it in motion.

michelle
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
esp13
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi

I totally agree with this.

I guess I was surprised/but not surprised, that neither one of them was willing to see the other's side of it, even a little bit. Especially, if they were trying to work things out/get back together.

Me, I would have smacked BOTH WILL & GABI upside the head and asked them repeatedly...WHAT WERE YOU IDIOTS THINKING???

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

none of conversation of sami with ej about rafe felt right with sami talking comfortable about rafe with ej

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 17 2013, 01:35 PM
My primary concern is that I'd like to believe the triangle of suck is finally going to over.
On that we can agree, but I'm guessing our motivations are different. ;)

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 17 2013, 02:07 PM
esp13
Jan 17 2013, 01:35 PM
My primary concern is that I'd like to believe the triangle of suck is finally going to over.
On that we can agree, but I'm guessing our motivations are different. ;)
Oh no, thanks to the emergence of Everett, she's come over to the dark side. B-)

So, good work Tom!

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jan 17 2013, 01:40 PM
I feel like the post-wedding fight was the warning shot, so to speak. They were both vehemently defending their sister/son and that was driving their anger - but the way they went about it really does speak to the weakness that's always been evident in their relationship. Rafe has a really hard time seeing that version of Sami - the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when she feels violated, betrayed, threatened, etc. And Rafe's judgmental attitude has always been a problem. Rafe had Will tried and convicted when it came to 'shirking' his responsibilities as the baby's father and he saw Gabi as a victim, pure and simple. Looking back it's a pity he didn't show the same protective, loyal instincts to Arianna.

I think the next fight(s) will continue to bring their underlying issues to the surface. And in the meantime the writing for Everett is done to show a sharp contrast - understanding and supportive versus combative and indignant.
Yeah, I'm hoping that they will actually have Sami articulate the reason for her choice. They're obviously playing out the contrast between Everett and Rafe's reaction on-screen, but it would be nice if they made it clear that it's more than just an "in the moment" reaction to the Wabi baby issue. They certainly have done enough set-up over the past few months to make it a real choice. We've seen Everett be consistently encouraging and accepting of Sami and who she is (including her selfish indecisiveness). And on the other hand, we've seen Rafe level a fair number of judgments against her. I'd like for Sami to realize this and be explicit about why she's choosing as she is, because it's going to be difficult to see this triangle as really resolved if she doesn't.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

I agree we're going to need to see the next Rafe argument to see if it brings out more issues beyond Sami and Rafe taking sides with their respective son/sister.

As far as Sami "choosing" Rafe, she never verbalized that. She went along with Rafe when he told her that he was the one she wanted. She obviously would have had sex with him, but she seemed a little taken aback when Will mentioned her moving in with Rafe. It seems apparent from this interview that this isn't the "choice" that Ali is referring to, and that her real choice is coming up. I expect that part of the story to make it clear that she is indeed making a definitive choice, based on the way she discussed it.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

gailwinters
Jan 17 2013, 02:28 PM
I agree we're going to need to see the next Rafe argument to see if it brings out more issues beyond Sami and Rafe taking sides with their respective son/sister.

As far as Sami "choosing" Rafe, she never verbalized that. She went along with Rafe when he told her that he was the one she wanted. She obviously would have had sex with him, but she seemed a little taken aback when Will mentioned her moving in with Rafe. It seems apparent from this interview that this isn't the "choice" that Ali is referring to, and that her real choice is coming up. I expect that part of the story to make it clear that she is indeed making a definitive choice, based on the way she discussed it.

I also found it telling that when Rafe flat out said, "I love you, Sami Brady" before the wedding at the church she just looked at him, smiled and ran off - but didn't say it back. In the past, Sami would have been pouring on her "I love you so much"s the moment Rafe stated his intent.

camera shy

No matter how you slice it, EJ poured his heart out to her and Sami's response was to choose to go back to Rafe and the only reason why she's with EJ now is because she's mad at Rafe and EJ tells her everything she wants to hear.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

^^^Sami almost did something stupid, just like Caroline warned her not to. Thank goodness Hope interrupted, so now she can make the right choice.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

SocRMum1
Jan 17 2013, 02:40 PM
gailwinters
Jan 17 2013, 02:28 PM

I also found it telling that when Rafe flat out said, "I love you, Sami Brady" before the wedding at the church she just looked at him, smiled and ran off - but didn't say it back. In the past, Sami would have been pouring on her "I love you so much"s the moment Rafe stated his intent.
She also did the same thing to both Lucas in the spring early summer pre cliffhanger and to Ej just the other day when he poured his heart out to her and she said nothing. Both men, actually all three of them have virtually said the same thing to Sami, "I LOVE YOU" and she just stares at them in disbelief....to Lucas she told him she doesn't deserve him or his love...I agree Sami....to Ej, she just looked at him and put her hand on her mouth and had a WTF face.....as if the woman hadn't heard him say the same thing just a few months prior....then lastly with Rafe in the church...he says, "I love you Sami Brady" and she kisses him and runs off.....if I didn't know better I'd think that Sami's choice is going to be that she chooses no one, but we all know that's not it.....it's really confusing to the viewers to see Sami do this. As I've said before, how can ANYONE say she loves ANY MAN now?

elci525
Member Avatar

EJ Lexi-ized? That sounds awful. If this version is meant to be that, then it's a writing of the character that veers far enough from the mold that some are inclined to consider him a different character. And something seems fishy about that approach, like it can't last for very long. And despite EJ's supposed acceptance and never-ending well of understanding, I very firmly believe Sami was "ready" to choose Rafe before the wedding fight. Not saying I love you when Rafe said it to her mattered very little to me to change my mind about it. Whenever the writing is so much person X is terrible for this reason, and person Y is wonderful b/c he conveniently and loudly acts opposite to that reason, I dunno, it always seems suspicious to me. But, oh, it doesn't matter, whether this half smile meant this and that tone meant that and the eyebrow raise the other day meant this. EJ has been plenty judgmental of Sami when he was upset with her - I remember his immediate conversation with her after the gruntsex truth came out. So mean. When a plot situation presents itself to pit people against each other, against each other they will be. This is the feeling I used to get about Rafe and Sami. Before the griefsex, I didn't think Rafe had been so betrayed by Sami that he would ever be inclined to leave or be irrevocably angered by her. The idea that Rafe was ok with Sami b/c she had told him her entire backstory - I just knew that when Rafe found himself in the middle of her tornado, he might not be so accepting (with good reason). And so when that happened, it made sense to me. I feel the same about any of Sami's men - they are equally capable of hating and forgiving Sami. Bah, it's just such a gobbeldy gooky mess.

esp13
Member Avatar

elci525
Jan 17 2013, 04:42 PM
EJ Lexi-ized? That sounds awful. If this version is meant to be that, then it's a writing of the character that veers far enough from the mold that some are inclined to consider him a different character. And something seems fishy about that approach, like it can't last for very long. And despite EJ's supposed acceptance and never-ending well of understanding, I very firmly believe Sami was "ready" to choose Rafe before the wedding fight. Not saying I love you when Rafe said it to her mattered very little to me to change my mind about it. Whenever the writing is so much person X is terrible for this reason, and person Y is wonderful b/c he conveniently and loudly acts opposite to that reason, I dunno, it always seems suspicious to me. But, oh, it doesn't matter, whether this half smile meant this and that tone meant that and the eyebrow raise the other day meant this. EJ has been plenty judgmental of Sami when he was upset with her - I remember his immediate conversation with her after the gruntsex truth came out. So mean. When a plot situation presents itself to pit people against each other, against each other they will be. This is the feeling I used to get about Rafe and Sami. Before the griefsex, I didn't think Rafe had been so betrayed by Sami that he would ever be inclined to leave or be irrevocably angered by her. The idea that Rafe was ok with Sami b/c she had told him her entire backstory - I just knew that when Rafe found himself in the middle of her tornado, he might not be so accepting (with good reason). And so when that happened, it made sense to me. I feel the same about any of Sami's men - they are equally capable of hating and forgiving Sami. Bah, it's just such a gobbeldy gooky mess.
Hence, the reason he is now called Everett by me and as many people as I can guilt/force into doing the same for the sake of my sanity.

He is a different character. EJ is suave, sweevil, and scarily hot. Everett is a curly mop of hair away from Hugh Grant. Everett doesn't scheme. In fact, he would be appalled by such things (which explains his irritation with Chad and Kristen). Everett is romantic, sweet, charming, and just plain adorable. He's also a bit boring and kinda dumb, but that's beside the point. He's still pretty to look at and, quite frankly, probably deserves Sami. It's a win-win.

Although you're right that it's probably not meant to last. I assume EJ will break out of whatever prison Everett is currently holding him in just as he did at various other times. Then Everett will break out of his prison again and take over again. And the beat goes on.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply