Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Alison Sweeney MSN TV Buzz interview
Topic Started: Jan 15 2013, 04:12 PM (5,510 Views)
mer4santo
Member Avatar
whaaaaaat?

AngelOB
Jan 17 2013, 04:28 AM
I'm strangely OK with a zombie story on Days. If it doesn't involve Nicole's zombie babies, I'll make do with Rafe as one. Hopefully he manages to attack Gabi, Dan, and Jennifer before he's put down.

Rafe generally behaves like one already.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

elci525
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 17 2013, 05:43 PM
elci525
Jan 17 2013, 04:42 PM
EJ Lexi-ized? That sounds awful. If this version is meant to be that, then it's a writing of the character that veers far enough from the mold that some are inclined to consider him a different character. And something seems fishy about that approach, like it can't last for very long. And despite EJ's supposed acceptance and never-ending well of understanding, I very firmly believe Sami was "ready" to choose Rafe before the wedding fight. Not saying I love you when Rafe said it to her mattered very little to me to change my mind about it. Whenever the writing is so much person X is terrible for this reason, and person Y is wonderful b/c he conveniently and loudly acts opposite to that reason, I dunno, it always seems suspicious to me. But, oh, it doesn't matter, whether this half smile meant this and that tone meant that and the eyebrow raise the other day meant this. EJ has been plenty judgmental of Sami when he was upset with her - I remember his immediate conversation with her after the gruntsex truth came out. So mean. When a plot situation presents itself to pit people against each other, against each other they will be. This is the feeling I used to get about Rafe and Sami. Before the griefsex, I didn't think Rafe had been so betrayed by Sami that he would ever be inclined to leave or be irrevocably angered by her. The idea that Rafe was ok with Sami b/c she had told him her entire backstory - I just knew that when Rafe found himself in the middle of her tornado, he might not be so accepting (with good reason). And so when that happened, it made sense to me. I feel the same about any of Sami's men - they are equally capable of hating and forgiving Sami. Bah, it's just such a gobbeldy gooky mess.
Hence, the reason he is now called Everett by me and as many people as I can guilt/force into doing the same for the sake of my sanity.

He is a different character. EJ is suave, sweevil, and scarily hot. Everett is a curly mop of hair away from Hugh Grant. Everett doesn't scheme. In fact, he would be appalled by such things (which explains his irritation with Chad and Kristen). Everett is romantic, sweet, charming, and just plain adorable. He's also a bit boring and kinda dumb, but that's beside the point. He's still pretty to look at and, quite frankly, probably deserves Sami. It's a win-win.

Although you're right that it's probably not meant to last. I assume EJ will break out of whatever prison Everett is currently holding him in just as he did at various other times. Then Everett will break out of his prison again and take over again. And the beat goes on.
Hence what I am directly referring to. ;)

And I ain't calling him Everett - sorry. I like ya so much, esp13 and agree with you 99.9% of the time, esp. recently, but this I cannot do. I do hope you understand.

And I also, I like that name too much to use it in this context =/ And I also like Hugh Grant too much to use him as a comparison point anymore, b/c I don't find this EJ all that adorable. No suitable counterpart for Andie MacDowell is he.
Edited by elci525, Jan 17 2013, 06:38 PM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
Everett is a curly mop of hair away from Hugh Grant. Everett doesn't scheme. In fact, he would be appalled by such things (which explains his irritation with Chad and Kristen). Everett is romantic, sweet, charming, and just plain adorable. He's also a bit boring and kinda dumb, but that's beside the point. He's still pretty to look at and, quite frankly, probably deserves Sami. It's a win-win.
This is so Everett! :wub: :wub: :wub:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

esp13
elci525
EJ Lexi-ized? That sounds awful. If this version is meant to be that, then it's a writing of the character that veers far enough from the mold that some are inclined to consider him a different character. And something seems fishy about that approach, like it can't last for very long. And despite EJ's supposed acceptance and never-ending well of understanding, I very firmly believe Sami was "ready" to choose Rafe before the wedding fight. Not saying I love you when Rafe said it to her mattered very little to me to change my mind about it. Whenever the writing is so much person X is terrible for this reason, and person Y is wonderful b/c he conveniently and loudly acts opposite to that reason, I dunno, it always seems suspicious to me. But, oh, it doesn't matter, whether this half smile meant this and that tone meant that and the eyebrow raise the other day meant this. EJ has been plenty judgmental of Sami when he was upset with her - I remember his immediate conversation with her after the gruntsex truth came out. So mean. When a plot situation presents itself to pit people against each other, against each other they will be. This is the feeling I used to get about Rafe and Sami. Before the griefsex, I didn't think Rafe had been so betrayed by Sami that he would ever be inclined to leave or be irrevocably angered by her. The idea that Rafe was ok with Sami b/c she had told him her entire backstory - I just knew that when Rafe found himself in the middle of her tornado, he might not be so accepting (with good reason). And so when that happened, it made sense to me. I feel the same about any of Sami's men - they are equally capable of hating and forgiving Sami. Bah, it's just such a gobbeldy gooky mess.
Hence, the reason he is now called Everett by me and as many people as I can guilt/force into doing the same for the sake of my sanity.

He is a different character. EJ is suave, sweevil, and scarily hot. Everett is a curly mop of hair away from Hugh Grant. Everett doesn't scheme. In fact, he would be appalled by such things (which explains his irritation with Chad and Kristen). Everett is romantic, sweet, charming, and just plain adorable. He's also a bit boring and kinda dumb, but that's beside the point. He's still pretty to look at and, quite frankly, probably deserves Sami. It's a win-win.

Although you're right that it's probably not meant to last. I assume EJ will break out of whatever prison Everett is currently holding him in just as he did at various other times. Then Everett will break out of his prison again and take over again. And the beat goes on.
I agree with your descriptions of EJ and Everett. Spot on. But what I want to understand is who the hell those other guys (ie - The EJ Express guy; Blood Diamond Hood Hair guy; the Sydnapper; the Fishing Hat guy; the Tracking Bracelet guy; the Scarf Sniffer; the Fake Rafe-er guy; Tickle MeEJ; etc.) have been that have masqueraded around looking suspiciously like EJerett from appx. 2008 to very early 2012. :toetap:

mer4santo
Member Avatar
whaaaaaat?

SocRMum1
Jan 17 2013, 06:35 PM
esp13
elci525

I agree with your descriptions of EJ and Everett. Spot on. But what I want to understand is who the hell those other guys (ie - The EJ Express guy; Blood Diamond Hood Hair guy; the Sydnapper; the Fishing Hat guy; the Tracking Bracelet guy; the Scarf Sniffer; the Fake Rafe-er guy; Tickle MeEJ; etc.) have been that have masqueraded around looking suspiciously like EJerett from appx. 2008 to very early 2012. :toetap:
EJ just has so many bad sides and not the good type of bad.

Dee-anne

SocRMum1
Jan 17 2013, 01:40 PM
tomsawyer
Jan 17 2013, 01:11 PM
esp13
Jan 17 2013, 11:48 AM
tomsawyer
Jan 17 2013, 11:30 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I don't know. At this point, the whole Safe break-up still seems to be about Will and Gabi not them. Rafe is mad because Sami didn't support Gabi and Sami is mad that Rafe didn't support Will. The whole thing with Everett at Sami's apartment felt llike it was intended to be a contrast. Rafe blamed Will, Everett supported Will, ergo Sami would rather be with Everett now. But it didn't feel like a choice or a epiphany for Sami about Rafe. It felt like if Rafe had been more supportive of Will she'd still want to be with him.

It just shows how interchangeable the characters are because if the positions had been reversed (throw in Chad instead of Will) and Everett was attacking Gabi while Sami was attacking Chad, then Sami would have been at home with Rafe instead of Everett. That, to me, makes it feel like none of this is about Sami and Rafe. And that, for me, makes this feel like Everett "winning" by default rather than Sami making a real choice.

So, as I have said before, I hope that the next Safe fight goes beyond Gabi and Will if they are going to try and convince people that Sami is making a choice. But, even at that, I still think they set this up badly. If they really wanted to show Sami making a choice, we should have seen her be far more uncertain about reuniting with Rafe before the wedding. We should have seen him pushing and her being noncomittal and thinking of Everett when she was with Rafe. But, instead, it was the reverse.

I'm sure they are going with Evami and since I think anybody who ends up with Sami is the loser, I don't really care one way or another. But, if there isn't more of a character based break-up than what we've seen, I can't blame people for feeling like Everett is the default option. That's not Everett's fault, or even Sami's, it's the way the writing has set it up.
I guess I come out somewhere in the middle on this, as I think we are talking about two seperate, but related issues. One, I think the break-up is mutual, but two, I think the break-up is not primarily because of Safe's own issues (at least thus far).

Regarding whether the break-up is mutual....
Sami is obviously going to choose Everett and I think it is looking to be as much her choice as it is Rafe not wanting to be with her. In that way, it's not just that Rafe is "taking himself out of the race," it's also that Sami would rather not be with him either. For Everett to be Sami's second choice, she would have to want to be with Rafe and settling for Everett because Rafe doesn't want her. That's not what I see going on.

Regarding the reasons for the break-up....
I agree that the reason for the Safe break-up (at least as we have seen it thus far) seems to be more about their reactions to the Wabi baby than about Safe's own issues. We've seen glimpses that they are realizing that each other aren't who they thought they were (Sami's response of "of course you do" when Rafe said he knows what's going on, and Rafe's comment about Sami's "true colors"), but I'd like to see their next fight have more of this. If it's just because of the Wabi baby, I agree the break-up isn't as solid of a break-up. However, if Safe's reactions to the baby made them realize that they have bigger issues (e.g. Sami sees that Rafe is too judgmental and Rafe sees that Sami is too selfish), then I think the break-up has more teeth. I think we have to see what happens with their fight next week to judge how real the break-up is.
This is how I see it, as well. I feel like the post-wedding fight was the warning shot, so to speak. They were both vehemently defending their sister/son and that was driving their anger - but the way they went about it really does speak to the weakness that's always been evident in their relationship. Rafe has a really hard time seeing that version of Sami - the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when she feels violated, betrayed, threatened, etc. And Rafe's judgmental attitude has always been a problem. Rafe had Will tried and convicted when it came to 'shirking' his responsibilities as the baby's father and he saw Gabi as a victim, pure and simple. Looking back it's a pity he didn't show the same protective, loyal instincts to Arianna.

'I think the next fight(s) will continue to bring their underlying issues to the surface. And in the meantime the writing for Everett is done to show a sharp contrast - understanding and supportive versus combative and indignant. It seems to me the plan is to continue to evolve EJeverett into the new Lexi-ized DiMera. Loves his family and is supportive of his siblings but working hard to distance himself from his father's ways and focusing on setting a good example for his own kids and building a life of his own. My guess is in the end it was the only way TPTB would finally attempt to go with EJami (for however long that lasts). For whatever reason they've always seemed to feel that Sami has to be perceived as a heroine in order to be a lead and thus couldn't be with EJ in a real relationship. Perhaps EJeverett is their solution to that - and bringing Kristen on the canvas just after losing Lexie gave them the opportunity to put it in motion.
'This is how I see it, as well. I feel like the post-wedding fight was the warning shot, so to speak. They were both vehemently defending their sister/son and that was driving their anger - but the way they went about it really does speak to the weakness that's always been evident in their relationship. Rafe has a really hard time seeing that version of Sami - the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when she feels violated, betrayed, threatened, etc. And Rafe's judgmental attitude has always been a problem. Rafe had Will tried and convicted when it came to 'shirking' his responsibilities as the baby's father and he saw Gabi as a victim, pure and simple. Looking back it's a pity he didn't show the same protective, loyal instincts to Arianna.'

Rafe has seen the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when Sami feels violated, betrayed, threatened etc. He has witnessed it all, but mostly it was directed at EJ and other times Nicole. But he believed that EJ deserved every bit of it as he has witnessed for himself some of the things that EJ has done, and not forgetting the things EJ has done to him. He also disliked Nicole because he believed the things that Sami said about her, and also that Nicole kidnapped Sami's baby. So, when Sami use to pick fights with Nicole he was fine with that, when she shot EJ in the head he was fine with that. But this time she directed all that attitude towards his pregant sister Gabi. He was not a witness to Sami's behaviour towards Arianna. He was not there when they had an all out fight, nor when Sami picked up somthing to bash Arianna over the head with it, but with Gabi he is standing there in the room while she attacked her verbally.

There is no excuse for Sami's behaviour. The situation could have been handled differently and the same goes for Rafe. Saying, that Sami is being Sami should not be ok. If she is saying or doing something wrong Rafe should not be afraid to tell her so. I don't think that is being judgemental. If he is saying or doing somthing wrong, or Sami things he is being judgemental, it should be ok for her to tell him so as well. The characters should not remain stagnant and have no growth, and how will Sami if people cater to her bad behaviour instead of pointing it out. Although it still doesnt make difference when they do.

I don't think when Rafe tells Sami about herself that he is being judgemental. It shows to me that he is aware of her faults and he is not going to pat her or kiss her on the top of her head when she is behaving badly. Sami tends to bad mouth individuals for doing the exact same things that she is guilty of and Rafe sometimes brings her attention to it. Lucas does that as well. They are the voice of the audience sometimes because I for one do not find her bad attitude endearing.

Rafe is actually showing more balls than EJ right now. Typical example, she shouted at EJ in public, blaming him for somthing his sister did, and what does EJ do. He goes to her with his tail between his legs, head bowed and apologising to her and telling her that he loves her. Not that she said it back to him the first time he said it a couple of months ago but, obviously he has no pride when it comes to Sami.

Rafe and Sami relationship seems more real to me than Sami and EJ's relationship right now. Is EJ forever going to bow down to her. Apologise when to her when he was not wrong in the first place. Tell her all that she wants to hear. If she ever had an occasion to be horrible to Chad would he apolgise to her on behalf of Chad. No arguements in their relationship because he accepts her exactly the way she is. I suppose that is true because he does not seem to mind that she kisses him and afterwards turns around and kiss Rafe too. Is this how they are going to continue to write EJ. Accomodating to Sami. Saying never a harsh word. That is the contrast between the two men right now, and to be honest Rafe is looking pretty good. I would be totally bored with this version of EJ, and would have more respect for someone like Rafe who is not afraid to tell me exactly what he thinks whether good or bad.

I am far from being a Rafe fan, but I never understand how Rafe crimes wheter being judgemental or whatever could be worse that EJ's crimes. If the excuse is that EJ accepts Sami for exactly who she is and it includes not telling her when she is in the wrong and she can treat him however she likes, and Sami accepts EJ for who he is and it also includes the same thing. Then these two with their children would be walking around Salem boring the audience to tear. Yep, this triangle will never end, because while they needed EJ for angst for Safe, they will now need Rafe for angst for EJami.
Edited by Dee-anne, Jan 17 2013, 07:09 PM.

run to me
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 16 2013, 05:39 PM
tomsawyer
Jan 16 2013, 05:37 PM
six
Jan 16 2013, 05:14 PM
So, what exactly has caused Lucas' senses to be heightened?
He's probably turned into a vampire.

Days seriously needs at least one vampire.
They really missed the boat with Molly Burnett's teeth.
*DEAD* :hail:

Harmony233

Dee-anne
Jan 17 2013, 06:52 PM
SocRMum1
Jan 17 2013, 01:40 PM
tomsawyer
Jan 17 2013, 01:11 PM
esp13
Jan 17 2013, 11:48 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I guess I come out somewhere in the middle on this, as I think we are talking about two seperate, but related issues. One, I think the break-up is mutual, but two, I think the break-up is not primarily because of Safe's own issues (at least thus far).

Regarding whether the break-up is mutual....
Sami is obviously going to choose Everett and I think it is looking to be as much her choice as it is Rafe not wanting to be with her. In that way, it's not just that Rafe is "taking himself out of the race," it's also that Sami would rather not be with him either. For Everett to be Sami's second choice, she would have to want to be with Rafe and settling for Everett because Rafe doesn't want her. That's not what I see going on.

Regarding the reasons for the break-up....
I agree that the reason for the Safe break-up (at least as we have seen it thus far) seems to be more about their reactions to the Wabi baby than about Safe's own issues. We've seen glimpses that they are realizing that each other aren't who they thought they were (Sami's response of "of course you do" when Rafe said he knows what's going on, and Rafe's comment about Sami's "true colors"), but I'd like to see their next fight have more of this. If it's just because of the Wabi baby, I agree the break-up isn't as solid of a break-up. However, if Safe's reactions to the baby made them realize that they have bigger issues (e.g. Sami sees that Rafe is too judgmental and Rafe sees that Sami is too selfish), then I think the break-up has more teeth. I think we have to see what happens with their fight next week to judge how real the break-up is.
This is how I see it, as well. I feel like the post-wedding fight was the warning shot, so to speak. They were both vehemently defending their sister/son and that was driving their anger - but the way they went about it really does speak to the weakness that's always been evident in their relationship. Rafe has a really hard time seeing that version of Sami - the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when she feels violated, betrayed, threatened, etc. And Rafe's judgmental attitude has always been a problem. Rafe had Will tried and convicted when it came to 'shirking' his responsibilities as the baby's father and he saw Gabi as a victim, pure and simple. Looking back it's a pity he didn't show the same protective, loyal instincts to Arianna.

'I think the next fight(s) will continue to bring their underlying issues to the surface. And in the meantime the writing for Everett is done to show a sharp contrast - understanding and supportive versus combative and indignant. It seems to me the plan is to continue to evolve EJeverett into the new Lexi-ized DiMera. Loves his family and is supportive of his siblings but working hard to distance himself from his father's ways and focusing on setting a good example for his own kids and building a life of his own. My guess is in the end it was the only way TPTB would finally attempt to go with EJami (for however long that lasts). For whatever reason they've always seemed to feel that Sami has to be perceived as a heroine in order to be a lead and thus couldn't be with EJ in a real relationship. Perhaps EJeverett is their solution to that - and bringing Kristen on the canvas just after losing Lexie gave them the opportunity to put it in motion.
'This is how I see it, as well. I feel like the post-wedding fight was the warning shot, so to speak. They were both vehemently defending their sister/son and that was driving their anger - but the way they went about it really does speak to the weakness that's always been evident in their relationship. Rafe has a really hard time seeing that version of Sami - the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when she feels violated, betrayed, threatened, etc. And Rafe's judgmental attitude has always been a problem. Rafe had Will tried and convicted when it came to 'shirking' his responsibilities as the baby's father and he saw Gabi as a victim, pure and simple. Looking back it's a pity he didn't show the same protective, loyal instincts to Arianna.'

Rafe has seen the vindictive, vicious streak that comes out when Sami feels violated, betrayed, threatened etc. He has witnessed it all, but mostly it was directed at EJ and other times Nicole. But he believed that EJ deserved every bit of it as he has witnessed for himself some of the things that EJ, and not forgetting the things EJ has done to him. He also disliked Nicole because he believed the things that Sami said about her, and that Nicole kidnapped Sami's baby. So, when Sami use to pick fights with Nicole he was fine with that, when she shot EJ in the head he was fine with that. But this time she directed all that attitude towards his pregant sister Gabi. He was not a witness to Sami's behaviour towards Arianna. He was not there when they had an all out fight, nor when Sami picked up somthing to bash Arianna over the head with it, but with Gabi he is standing there in the room while she attacked her verbally.

There is no excuse for Sami's behaviour. The situation could have been handled differently and the same goes for Rafe. Saying, that is Sami being Sami should not be ok. If she is saying or doing something wrong rafe should not be afraid to tell her so. I don't think that is being judgemental. If he is saying or doing somthing wrong, or Sami things he is being judgemental, it should be ok for her to him so. The characters should not remain stagnant and have no growth and how will Sami if people cater to her bad behaviour instead of pointing it out.

I don't think when Rafe tells Sami about herself that he is being judgemental. It shows to me that he is aware of her faults and he is not going to pat her or kiss her on the top of her head when she is behaving badly. Sami tends to bad mouth individuals for doing the exact same things that she is guilty of and Rafe sometimes brings her attention to it. Lucas does that as well. They are the voice of the audience sometimes because I for one do not find her bad attitude endearing.

Rafe is actually showing more balls than EJ right now. Typical example, she shouted at EJ in public, blaming him for somthing his sister did, and what does EJ do. He goes to her with his tail between his legs, head bowed and apologising to her and telling her that he loves her. Not that she said it back to him the first time he said it a couple of months ago.

Rafe and Sami relationship seems more reall to me than Sami and EJ's relationship right now. Is EJ forever going to bow down to her. Apologise when to her when he was not wrong in the first place. Tell her all that she wants to hear. If she ever had an occasion to be horrible to Chad would he apolgise to her on behalf of Chad. No arguements in their relationship because he accepts her exactly the way she is. I suppose that is true because he does not seem to mind that she kisses him and afterwards turn around and kiss him too. Is the is how they are going to continue to write EJ. Accomodating to Sami. Saying never a harsh word. That is the contrast between the two men we are dealing with here, and to be honest Rafe is looking pretty good. I would be totally bored with this version of EJ, and would have more respect for someone like Rafe who is not afraid to tell me exactly what he think whether good or bad.

I am far from being a Rafe fan, but I never understand how Rafe crimes wheter being judgemental or whatever could be worse that EJ's crimes. If the excuse is that EJ accepts Sami for exactly who she is and it includes not telling her when she is in the wrong and she can treat him however she likes, and Sami accepts EJ for who he is and it also includes the same thing. Then these two with their children would be walking around Salem boring everyone of us to tear. Yep, this triangle will never end, because while they needed EJ for angst for Safe, they will now need Rafe for angst for EJami.
IA theres a differnce between accepting someone and excusing there behavior and calling them out on it.thats why i love lucas he'll call sami out on her ridclous behavior.If Rafe can too good for him.

esp13
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
esp13
elci525

Oh come on now. Fishing Hat Guy, Scarf Sniffer Guy and TickleMeEverett were all totally Everett. The Blood Diamond Hood Hair Guy was EJ with really, really bad hair. The Sydnapper was also EJ. But Everett escaped and rescued Sydney and brought her back to Sami (he's kind of adorkable like that). Fake Rafe Guy was totally EJ, just dumber than he used to be.

There really are just the two sides. 2007 was EJ at his best. 2012-13 has been Everett at his very best. Everything in between has been the two boys battling it out and not really bringing out the best of either of them.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 17 2013, 07:04 PM
Oh come on now. Fishing Hat Guy, Scarf Sniffer Guy and TickleMeEverett were all totally Everett. The Blood Diamond Hood Hair Guy was EJ with really, really bad hair. The Sydnapper was also EJ. But Everett escaped and rescued Sydney and brought her back to Sami (he's kind of adorkable like that). Fake Rafe Guy was totally EJ, just dumber than he used to be.

There really are just the two sides. 2007 was EJ at his best. 2012-13 has been Everett at his very best. Everything in between has been the two boys battling it out and not really bringing out the best of either of them.
YES to all of this.

In fact, we actually saw on-screen when Sydnapper EJ morphed back into Sydrescuer Everett in 2010. It was a very Sybil moment.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar
whaaaaaat?

esp13
Jan 17 2013, 07:04 PM
SocRMum1
esp13
elci525

OMG. I love this post and this definition allows me to like more of the past than I do. Except Scarfmance, there is NO credible explanation for that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply