Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nick battles Will; airs week of Jan 21
Topic Started: Jan 17 2013, 03:07 PM (5,047 Views)
Sariah
Member Avatar

And this is the problem with writing characters to fit your plot, and not the other way around. Nick always struck me as an easygoing, open-minded, goofy kind of guy. I loved him with Chelsea (until stupid Stephanie started encouraging her to sleep with other guys), and it sucks to see him being destroyed, particularly when the show hasn't given us a single reason for him to be acting this way, or for Gabi to be going along with it.

Edited by Sariah, Jan 17 2013, 04:47 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cord08

Spencer Hastings
Jan 17 2013, 04:36 PM
Okay, a few things here.

1. Justin is Sonny's FATHER. That means he's probably going to try to protect his son by protecting his son's boyfriend. Well, if this is real Justin and not TomSell Justin pod-person.

2. Will is still Nick's cousin, correct? Why doesn't a matriarch step in, have a nice little talk with them, and let this story line move on? Hell, have Bill come in and tell them how it sucks to have your family member claim your baby as his own. Have Austin and Lucas tell them what a mistake it is. Both totally different situations, but still SO EASY. I swear they forget that these two are both Hortons, but they don't forget to remind us about Daniel's connections....

3. On what grounds would Nick have Will be an unfit father? "Oh, he's got a lot of baggage, might have done something his dad covered up, and he's gay!".....says the man who just spent more than his given sentence in prison for stalking, kidnapping, drug abuse, and killing.

Great points. Here are my thoughts.

1. Using Justin is a great story move because he's Sonny's father. Although, if Justin is acting as a true professional, personal ties should not be the first concern. I'm sure it will, though...which makes it more fun.

2. It should be brought up that they're both Hortons. An easy resolution would really kill the story, though.

3. I think that Nick will try to use what he heard during Lucas and Will's private conversation. Not sure how that could ever be used in court, but I think they're trying to make Nick look more and more delusional.

Oh, and I think it'll be a boy just so that the baby can look like a mini-Will. LOL.

elci525
Member Avatar

Yes, I have no idea why Nick is obsessed with this Wabi baby, and developing a good reason would make for a very compelling story. I can only guess what Nick reveals to Gabi about his prison stay will have something to do with this. And also tie in with the over-the-top homophobia towards his cousin. So maybe a rape, or just treatment whilst in prison, stories he's heard, etc. Or something to explain his obsessiveness and need to control everything.
Edited by elci525, Jan 17 2013, 05:00 PM.

Aimikins
Member Avatar

I was excited for Nick to come back but they have chosen to make him a psychopath yet again and team him up with one of the worst actresses on canvas. I despise him,his obsession with a baby thats not even his and his ignorance towards Will. I hope he dies somehow in Feb sweeps

Will&Sonny

If Justin doesn't tell Nick to take a hike, I'm going to be very disappointed. He should be on Sonny's side, and that means that, by extension, he should be on Will's side. Sonny might be upset right now, but I can't imagine that he'd ever want his father to do something that would hurt Will.

However, if Justin plays Nick -- pretending to act in Nick's best interest while really doing everything that he can to undermine Nick -- I could deal with that.

I agree that the baby will likely be a boy -- that's what I've been hoping for since the storyline began, anyway.

I hate Nick almost as much as I hate E.J., and that's saying something. I want him gone, but I'll settle for seeing him get a very well-deserved comeuppance. If this storyline ends with Nick being able to have any sort of role in Will's child's life, I'm going to be pissed. (I highly doubt that will happen, so I'm not really worried about it, but it'd be a terrible idea.)

cord08

Unless Nick is a ghost, I doubt he'll die anytime soon since BB still appears to be taping per his tweets.

esp13
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 17 2013, 04:42 PM
esp13
Jan 17 2013, 04:11 PM
EJ_SamiFF
Jan 17 2013, 03:55 PM
I don't understand why Nick is obsess with Keeping Will away from his child. What a creep, I wouldn't wish him on anybody but Gabi.
I don't know either and, right now, it's the one major missing link in this story. I'm hoping that they fill in this gap because if they do, then this story definitely becomes the best written one in a long while. If they give Nick a compelling reason for this (not one I have to agree with, just one I can understand), then the layers and complexity can remain and continue to make this a compelling story.
Agreed. And unfortunately for the NickGeek fan in me, I think the best angle to play up is Nick's homophobia. It would make sense for somebody that thinks being gay is wrong would to also be fearful of the influence of a gay person on a child. I hate it for Nick, but it would make a lot of sense.
I'm sure that's going to be part of it, but I'm truly hoping there is more. Not just because I would like not have to completely hate Nick, but because the story is more interesting if it's about more than that. That Nick is so trying to make up for his past that he's completely overdoing his present by trying to force a family to happen. That he's scared to death of going off the deep end and Gabi and the baby give him an anchor he is afraid of losing. Whatever. Just something more than homophobia.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I hate lawyer EJ. Keep him in the boardroom and out of the courtroom!

I'll be interested to see how they handle Nick having Justin as his attorney. There needs to be some sort of explanation as to why Justin is agreeing to make Will look like an unfit parent for his client Nick. Is Justin upset with Will for hurting Sonny? Something needs to be thrown in there to make sense.

lene
Member Avatar

I think this is very in character for Nick. I've always found him to be a creep! yuck. Team Will.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Honestly, I don't think Nick is obsessed with the baby at all. He's obsessed with Gabi, and the baby is a means by which to control her. Having Gabi's handsome, sensitive and attentive but gay ex around is a threat to his control over her. And given what Nick went to prison for, we know that Nick is willing to go to extremes to have leverage over the women in his life, drugs or maybe not.

Will&Sonny

esp13
Jan 17 2013, 05:09 PM
tomsawyer
esp13
EJ_SamiFF
I don't understand why Nick is obsess with Keeping Will away from his child. What a creep, I wouldn't wish him on anybody but Gabi.
I don't know either and, right now, it's the one major missing link in this story. I'm hoping that they fill in this gap because if they do, then this story definitely becomes the best written one in a long while. If they give Nick a compelling reason for this (not one I have to agree with, just one I can understand), then the layers and complexity can remain and continue to make this a compelling story.
Agreed. And unfortunately for the NickGeek fan in me, I think the best angle to play up is Nick's homophobia. It would make sense for somebody that thinks being gay is wrong would to also be fearful of the influence of a gay person on a child. I hate it for Nick, but it would make a lot of sense.
I'm sure that's going to be part of it, but I'm truly hoping there is more. Not just because I would like not have to completely hate Nick, but because the story is more interesting if it's about more than that. That Nick is so trying to make up for his past that he's completely overdoing his present by trying to force a family to happen. That he's scared to death of going off the deep end and Gabi and the baby give him an anchor he is afraid of losing. Whatever. Just something more than homophobia.
For me, until proven otherwise, I'm going with the assumption that it's A. a way to hold on to Gabi and B. a way to "save" the baby from the Big Bad Gays. Nick wants Gabi to be utterly dependent on him and his high-paying job that will afford her every luxury that she could ever dream of (as he arrogantly outlined in his ridiculous two-year plan). He's possessive that way.

If they give us some other reason, I'll reevaluate my assessment of his motivations at that time, but until then, that's what I'm getting out of what we've seen thus far.

Will&Sonny

Honeybees, you and I are almost always on the same exact page. We need our own "long-lost twin" storyline.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
esp13
EJ_SamiFF
I think whatever happened to him in jail is going to tie in to his homophobia which ties in to him wanting Will away from this baby.

elci525
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jan 17 2013, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I don't think Nick is obsessed with the baby at all. He's obsessed with Gabi, and the baby is a means by which to control her. Having Gabi's handsome, sensitive and attentive but gay ex around is a threat to his control over her. And given what Nick went to prison for, we know that Nick is willing to go to extremes to have leverage over the women in his life, drugs or maybe not.
I think Nick is obsessed with the idea of family - of creating one, of safely existing in one, of maybe being grounded and protected by one. So I agree he is more concerned about keeping Gabi than he is baby-crazy, but I think he is ultimately this controlling and this obsessive to make a family stick. Or to prove dominance. I only surmise his homophobia plays into it b/c the homophobia has been so strong, like, pretty ubiquitous in Nick scenes. I also hope it's only partially related, but I think it plays a part in his current psychopathic ways.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Jan 17 2013, 05:17 PM
Honeybees, you and I are almost always on the same exact page. We need our own "long-lost twin" storyline.
Indeed! And I do think homophobia is a secondary concern, because Nick didn't seem to have any interest in claiming the baby when he thought it was Chad's - only when the "gay boy" turned out to be the father. So, it's a win-win for Nick.

And I want to again say how much I love BB's performance. It's very clear to many people that Nick is controlling and sinister, yet Nick hasn't done much more than aggressively push his agenda, manipulate and make some medium grade homophobic remarks (not including his outright declaration of homophobia). But still, Nick is creeping me and lots of viewers out, and that's all due to the many layers in Blake's performance.

And I think Nick - like the best villains - thinks he's the hero in the story.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Jan 17 2013, 05:05 PM
If Justin doesn't tell Nick to take a hike, I'm going to be very disappointed. He should be on Sonny's side, and that means that, by extension, he should be on Will's side. Sonny might be upset right now, but I can't imagine that he'd ever want his father to do something that would hurt Will.

However, if Justin plays Nick -- pretending to act in Nick's best interest while really doing everything that he can to undermine Nick -- I could deal with that.

I agree that the baby will likely be a boy -- that's what I've been hoping for since the storyline began, anyway.

I hate Nick almost as much as I hate E.J., and that's saying something. I want him gone, but I'll settle for seeing him get a very well-deserved comeuppance. If this storyline ends with Nick being able to have any sort of role in Will's child's life, I'm going to be pissed. (I highly doubt that will happen, so I'm not really worried about it, but it'd be a terrible idea.)
I would hate to see Justin portrayed as an unethical lawyer to help his son's boyfriend.Better to have him do his job or tell Nick to find someone else.I would not have a problem with the show bringing in someone to act as Nick's lawyer.Rafe and Hope must know some given that they are on the police force.If EJ and Justin can do criminal and civil law so can a new character.

Will&Sonny

Honeybees
Jan 17 2013, 05:33 PM
And I want to again say how much I love BB's performance. It's very clear to many people that Nick is controlling and sinister, yet Nick hasn't done much more than aggressively push his agenda, manipulate and make some medium grade homophobic remarks (not including his outright declaration of homophobia). But still, Nick is creeping me and lots of viewers out, and that's all due to the many layers in Blake's performance.

And I think Nick - like the best villains - thinks he's the hero in the story.
Blake Berris has been hit-or-miss for me, but in general, I agree. That scene on Monday where he tried to threaten Chad was just laughably bad and not the least bit intimidating, IMO, but I know that some others here thought that it was effective, so maybe it's just me. I just don't find Nick the least bit scary -- creepy (in that "sick in the head" way), yes, but that's not the same as being menacing. It didn't help that he was trying to threaten someone who had already beaten him to a pulp (and probably would have killed him if Gabi hadn't intervened), and that Chandler Massey looks like he could knock Blake Berris out with one punch, but I realize that you don't need to be a heavyweight champion to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger (as just one example of how Nick could deliver on the threat that he made to Chad), so perhaps that's a moot point for some people.

In any case, I agree that Blake is one of the better actors on the show, although I think that Chandler easily outclasses him when they're in scenes together. Of the five main young adults in this particular storyline, on a scale of unbelievably amazing to utterly horrible, it's Chandler > Freddie Smith > Blake > Casey Deidrick > Camila Banus, IMO.

Evan
Member Avatar

The original Nick Fallon wasn't a homophobic jerk - unless something happened to Nick in prison(he was raped by a fellow male inmate?), it's another case of these writers destroying another character for SL purposes.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

With Nick I am starting to think he is crazy and the pills he took years ago just added to it.

annie21

Man, I feel smothered and hemmed in just reading about Nick's controlling ways. While I don't like Gabi, I wouldn't wish that kind of situation on anyone, especially someone who's pregnant.

As for Justin, if they're only using him because he's the only other lawyer in town, that's lazy and bad writing on the part of the writers. After all, they brought in a doctor for Daniel's shaky hands. So they could bring in another lawyer for this case. While I'm all for WK getting more airtime, I hope they'll at least play up the inherent drama/conflict of interest he has and how it affects his relationship with Sonny and with Will. This should ruffle a few relationships in Salem as everybody takes sides. Otherwise, Justin should just recuse himself because of his personal connection to the case.

This is another one of those moral dilemmas I referenced in another thread. If Justin is shown to be in conflict over his decision whether to represent Nick, then it's good soapy material. If he just shows up and is presented as any other attorney with no personal reaction or fallout in his own life, then it's shallow, plot-driven crap that only weakens the character as well as the overall story.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply