Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Michael Fairman summary of Peter Reckell SOD Interview
Topic Started: Jan 17 2013, 03:12 PM (5,301 Views)
granolagirl
Member Avatar

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/peter-reckell-opens-up-on-what-led-to-his-decision-to-exit-days-of-our-lives/2013/01/17/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

COME BACK BO!!! I miss you terribly!!

amb2kool

i miss bo! :(

jam6242
Member Avatar

I agree with Peter that the writing for Bo was lacking for a number of years. However, I don't think he's being realistic to expect to be doing something "artistic" on a soap. And it's kind of funny for him to admit he was the new actor when he arrived at Days but it's somehow a different situation now that the current new actors affected him. I just wish Days would do something to better explain Bo's absence to free up Hope for a storyline.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

they ask if he'd be open to coming back & he says that he would be open to talking about it, but mentions that he hasn't talked it over with Kelly yet & that there are still a few places they'd like to travel & then ends his answer with some positive words about working with GT.

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

Quote:

"The people who really pay attention to Bo, Bo and Hope, and Bo's life, were aware of storylines that were sort of incomplete and what Bo had to go through that wasn't very Bo-like. I understand how head writers come in and want to make a name for themselves and the way that they do it is to bring in new actors and have their storylines. That's how I got on the show! Bo came on to the show and in this family that was just forming. These days, it's a different ballgame, when you're trying to keep a medium alive that is dying. I think you need to be more respectful of the audience. These are actors who mean something to the audience. When you bring in all these new actors , it just sort of puts a big space between your die-hard audience and the show. It would be sad for daytime to die a miserable death because people were not attentive to what the audience needs and that's sort of how I felt. If I could go in and talk to whoever is in charge now and see what their mind-set is and see what they want and what they're trying to accomplish, and see that it's not a mind-set that is detrimental to the medium, that is mostly what would change my mind."

:hail: :hail:

can I just say how much I love Peter right now, he hit the nail right on the head, this show doesn't respect it's audience or it's longtime viewers :shame:

KuKiMaMa

Either Bo should come back or get rid of Hope!! I can't stomach it when she pretends to talk to Bo from the next room, or briefly mentions him in passing. Bope fans deserve more ...I'm NOT a diehard Bope fan but recognize the silliness in this storyline, or lack thereof.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Jan 17 2013, 03:24 PM
they ask if he'd be open to coming back & he says that he would be open to talking about it, but mentions that he hasn't talked it over with Kelly yet & that there are still a few places they'd like to travel & then ends his answer with some positive words about working with GT.
That's interesting to read about Tomlin when I've seen many people blame Tomlin for Peter's departure!
Edited by jam6242, Jan 17 2013, 03:27 PM.

Days4Life

I so agree with what Peter Reckell said in the interview excerpts. If soaps are going to survive, they have to find a way to keep familiar characters relevant while adding interesting new characters to the canvas. If you take away all the vets, you destroy the history of the show and the familiarity that keeps viewers tuning in for years. I had an emotional connection to Bo Brady that I have never come close to feeling for new characters the writers have thrown at us over the last few years. The writers don't do a proper introduction and character development any more, just throw someone like Daniel or Rafe onscreen four days a week, in front burner story, and demand we become invested in them....it doesn't work that way.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Oh wow, his description of what's killing soaps is dead ON. Bravo, Peter! If only I had any hope that TomSell were not of the very mindset that he describes :(

Ellie

jam6242
Jan 17 2013, 03:27 PM
Supergirlx2
That's interesting to read about Tomlin when I've seen many people blame Tomlin for Peter's departure!
What's Peter supposed to say, "Gary sucks"? That'll get him invited back, lol!

AFaithL

Not only do I miss Bo/Hope and Bo/Ciara....but I miss Bo/Caroline! Peter and Peggy were working so well together in that Alzheimer's storyline!

WowItsJustine
Member Avatar

DocandJohn4ever
Jan 17 2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:

"The people who really pay attention to Bo, Bo and Hope, and Bo's life, were aware of storylines that were sort of incomplete and what Bo had to go through that wasn't very Bo-like. I understand how head writers come in and want to make a name for themselves and the way that they do it is to bring in new actors and have their storylines. That's how I got on the show! Bo came on to the show and in this family that was just forming. These days, it's a different ballgame, when you're trying to keep a medium alive that is dying. I think you need to be more respectful of the audience. These are actors who mean something to the audience. When you bring in all these new actors , it just sort of puts a big space between your die-hard audience and the show. It would be sad for daytime to die a miserable death because people were not attentive to what the audience needs and that's sort of how I felt. If I could go in and talk to whoever is in charge now and see what their mind-set is and see what they want and what they're trying to accomplish, and see that it's not a mind-set that is detrimental to the medium, that is mostly what would change my mind."

:hail: :hail:

can I just say how much I love Peter right now, he hit the nail right on the head, this show doesn't respect it's audience or it's longtime viewers :shame:
I agree.That is just the perfect paragraph and I think it speaks for the way a majority of the long term fans are thinking.Well said Peter Reckell.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 17 2013, 03:33 PM
jam6242
Supergirlx2
i agree. he could've said nothing about Tomlin. I don't really believe what he did say. Especially since he left so soon after Tomlin's return. If Peter really thought so highly of Tomlin, why wouldn't he stick around and see what Tomlin would write for Bo (& by association, Hope)? Peter had more to do under MarDar than he did during the work-up to Bo's exit.
I think it's unfair of Peter to blame MarDar for not writing what the audience wanted. As i recall, people seemed to be very happy with what they wrote at the start of their stint (though i do think that they had quite a task to start an entire show worth of storylines at the same time). I think the changes in story came from higher-ups.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

Supergirlx2
In a nutshell....I can see Bo returning when the end of Days is close, just so that all the super couples end up together at Sami's wedding to whatever man she is going to end the show with.....mark my words.....Bope, Jarlena, J&J, Steve and Kayla, Adrienne and Justin all these couples will return to close the show with whomever Sami marries to end Days. If it's up to Peter, I doubt he'd return with the current writing team in place....if that team is still in place and Days gets cancelled in 2014 and the end of Days is September of that year, then I can see Bo returning around the summer to close off the show and he'll attend the last wedding and the show will end....
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

Supergirlx2
Jan 17 2013, 03:49 PM
Ellie
jam6242
Supergirlx2
i agree. he could've said nothing about Tomlin. I don't really believe what he did say. Especially since he left so soon after Tomlin's return. If Peter really thought so highly of Tomlin, why wouldn't he stick around and see what Tomlin would write for Bo (& by association, Hope)? Peter had more to do under MarDar than he did during the work-up to Bo's exit.
I think it's unfair of Peter to blame MarDar for not writing what the audience wanted. As i recall, people seemed to be very happy with what they wrote at the start of their stint (though i do think that they had quite a task to start an entire show worth of storylines at the same time). I think the changes in story came from higher-ups.
MarDar put Bo in a coma for weeks and weeks....and then sent Hope off with John to Alamania to revisit the PG years, which was VERY unpopular with the audience. So yeah, they sucked when it came to writing for Bo/Bope. MarDar was no fan of Bo Brady, and it showed.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Jan 17 2013, 04:01 PM
Supergirlx2
Jan 17 2013, 03:49 PM
Ellie
jam6242

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
MarDar put Bo in a coma for weeks and weeks....and then sent Hope off with John to Alamania to revisit the PG years, which was VERY unpopular with the audience. So yeah, they sucked when it came to writing for Bo/Bope. MarDar was no fan of Bo Brady, and it showed.
Peter requested the time off. If i remember correctly, he spent most of the time in Indiana camping with his girls. And Bo was put in a coma after a few rewrites.
Anyone remember the bank statements? we still don't know what they were about & who was getting the payments. I have no doubt the contents of the safe deposit box are not the contents that MarDar originally had in mind.
MarDar really wanted to write for Bope.

maverick
Member Avatar

Whiplash. With everything I have read the past 6-7 months, this doesn't help. He is all over the place. Usually when someone says it's not about the money, it usually is. ?

I am gonna deduce the Tomlin pimpage to he wants to come back.

If anyone has read PR's interviews over the course of his career, it's all over the place. I have articles of him complaining that he worked too much in the 80s and now he is complaining he didn't work enough the last few years. I do think E. Scott had some amazing things planned for his character, that were obviously derailed when Tomlin came on board because he likes them young. There is no doubt that his character took a hit when Tomlin came on board and took a massive hit with the way Bo was written in 2009/2010.

Wonder what the layover to when he did this interview to it coming out? was it after the Days was renewed news that came out last week? Why didnt he say this to begin with last summer. ?

No doubt he is outspoken, just wish he would stay consistent.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I think he may be fishing to see whether Days reaches out to him. Some of his recent tweets have made me think the same.

Oak Alley
Member Avatar
I'll always love you. Always

I'll just get down on my knees and :hail: to the soap gods, that an agreement between Peter & tptb are made, so we/Hope can have him onscreen again!
Edited by Oak Alley, Jan 17 2013, 04:20 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply