Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Michael Fairman summary of Peter Reckell SOD Interview
Topic Started: Jan 17 2013, 03:12 PM (5,364 Views)
maverick
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Jan 17 2013, 04:01 PM
Supergirlx2
Jan 17 2013, 03:49 PM
Ellie
Jan 17 2013, 03:33 PM
jam6242
Jan 17 2013, 03:27 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
What's Peter supposed to say, "Gary sucks"? That'll get him invited back, lol!
i agree. he could've said nothing about Tomlin. I don't really believe what he did say. Especially since he left so soon after Tomlin's return. If Peter really thought so highly of Tomlin, why wouldn't he stick around and see what Tomlin would write for Bo (& by association, Hope)? Peter had more to do under MarDar than he did during the work-up to Bo's exit.
I think it's unfair of Peter to blame MarDar for not writing what the audience wanted. As i recall, people seemed to be very happy with what they wrote at the start of their stint (though i do think that they had quite a task to start an entire show worth of storylines at the same time). I think the changes in story came from higher-ups.
MarDar put Bo in a coma for weeks and weeks....and then sent Hope off with John to Alamania to revisit the PG years, which was VERY unpopular with the audience. So yeah, they sucked when it came to writing for Bo/Bope. MarDar was no fan of Bo Brady, and it showed.
Peter was supposed to do a movie project at that time, he asked for that time off and that was why Bo went into a coma, they wrote that into the SL. They filmed the Alamania stuff at the beginning of January 2012 and with the Christmas break it was to be a 5 week hiatus. Bo was used more regularly during MarDar's reign, storylines aside there was more balance under MarDar then the previous regimes of writing/producing teams. Let's also not forget he was written out for 6 weeks when Tomlin was running the show in 2010.

Actually I think MarDar were fans of Bo and Hope and the coupling and the VETS! They used them, they wrote for them! Tomlin was not a fan of Bo and Peter as well as Hope and Kristian, it's been hinted at many times in the past.
Edited by maverick, Jan 17 2013, 04:25 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

maverick
Member Avatar

jam6242
Jan 17 2013, 04:17 PM
I think he may be fishing to see whether Days reaches out to him. Some of his recent tweets have made me think the same.
I am hoping this time off recharges him too, he looked like he lost his passion when ES left the show.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

jam6242
Jan 17 2013, 03:22 PM
I agree with Peter that the writing for Bo was lacking for a number of years. However, I don't think he's being realistic to expect to be doing something "artistic" on a soap. And it's kind of funny for him to admit he was the new actor when he arrived at Days but it's somehow a different situation now that the current new actors affected him. I just wish Days would do something to better explain Bo's absence to free up Hope for a storyline.
I agree... the material could be always be stronger. But I don't think it's realistic for actors to look at a soap as an artistic outlet, especially if they have an interest in maintaining a long term presence on the show.

annie21

TFP.

I took PR's references to recent writers having Bo do things that are un-Bo-like to be about Higley/Whitesell/Tomlin, not about MarDar. I also took his reference to head writers coming in and bringing in their favorite actors/characters to also be a shot at Tomlin/Whitesell and maybe Higley, but especially at Tomlin and his fascination with Rafe/GG.

As has been mentioned, MarDar wrote some compelling scenes for Bope in finally dealing with the death of their son and trying to heal the Carbo era between them. I got the sense they wanted to write for Bope. And the coma stuff was horribly lame, but it was to accommodate PR's leave schedule, so I'll give them a slight pass (can't excuse the Pawn/Gina stuff though). Unfortunately, by the time that part aired, MarDar were on their way out, so we'll never know what else they had planned.

What we do know is that PR's decision to leave happened when he knew Tomlin/Whitesell were coming back in. Heck, he may have even heard that Crystal was being courted for a return and that TomSell planned to revive Carbo. In any case, Tomlin barely used him up until the few scenes where Bo was leaving.

As for the part about how things have changed since he was brought in, I get that, too. Back in the 80sn, the show was in a competitive growth phase. It had strong ratings and was able to take more risks and try new things. But in this current environment, where soaps are more mature and are facing cancellation, I hear what he's saying is that soaps should be balancing the expectations of their long-term loyal audience with the need to refresh and bring in new faces.

Lastly, it was nice to hear PR affirm that this wasn't about money. I believe him. As for art, well, yes, it's true that soaps aren't high art. But PR apparently wants to collaborate on good stories that maybe give him a chance to stretch as an actor rather than just show up for a paycheck. I admire him for that.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I just don't believe Reckell's claim that he didn't leave because of money. Bo hasn't had a decent storyline since Zack died. Since then, the only thing that Bo's been involved in that I found interesting was the beginning of Carly's return. It didn't last though. And he hasn't had much since. Yet, Reckell remained on the show. I think Reckell chose to leave due to another paycut he just wasn't willing to take. At least being unemployed allows him to spend time with his family. He might not be getting a check anymore, but at least he can travel with his family, rather than getting paid less at work and still spending less time with family.

I do agree with what he said about keeping established characters around while bringing on new characters. Yes, Reckell was once a "Chad," but at least when he was the new kid on the show, he was constantly in scenes with other characters that helped establish him. Viewers may not have liked Bo when he first showed up because he was new, but they put up with him because he was in scenes with Alice and Roman and Marlena and Doug and Julie and many others. The show thinks they're doing that now by making Daniel related to Maggie, but at the same time, they're having Maggie (one beloved character) gloss over everything that Daniel's done in the past, negatively, because of their new biological bond. That doesn't do anything good for EITHER character. 30 years ago, Alice Horton or Marlena would have no problem calling Bo out on his shit, all while still developing a bond with the new character. I don't think new characters like Daniel and Rafe would be as hated if the same formula was used today. Instead, they're represented as saints when we've seen that's not true. The audience is not stupid.

Evan
Member Avatar

A DAYS without both Peter Reckell & Matt Ashford is frankly not worth watching - they need to fire Tomlin & Whitesell and bring back Bo & Jack

mellymet

jam6242
Jan 17 2013, 04:17 PM
I think he may be fishing to see whether Days reaches out to him. Some of his recent tweets have made me think the same.
I found it interesting that he says at the end " I just wanted to take a moment to say hey this is why I left and everything is up in the air." What exactly is up in the air? His tweets and this article seem like he might be fishing LOL

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I think he's being slightly misleading saying that money isn't a factor at all. I don't think money is THE factor. I think he wanted to work more and have better stories where he could actually flex some acting muscle instead of basically doing nothing...and when they wanted him to continue treading water AND take a paycut that was the final straw. So maybe he shouldn't say money wasn't the issue, but at the same time money wasn't THE issue. I don't think he would have signed on for another contract for the same amount of money and the same shitty stories. I think the two kind of went together.

Anyway, DAYS isn't DAYS without Bo Brady. He is the star of the show, IMO, if there is actually a star of the show. I wish they would bring him back, but I don't want him back just for the sake of being there. I wish they had a writer like Carlivati who would instantly bring Bo in with a bang and use him as a major player, where he belongs. I don't think Tomlin sees him that way anymore and its a shame. Bo is a lead and only a lead, I don't see him fading into the background. I hope Peter was referring to Galen because its pretty obvious Rafe is supposed to be Bo, but he sucks at it.

I also didn't find anything wrong with his statement about how he was once a newbie, but its different now. He's right. This could be the end of soaps (even though they're having a small surge right now). The shows shouldn't be weakening their long-time main players for newer characters. There should be a blend and I think Bo would be one of the first characters they should build around. They severely botched the Carly/Bo/Hope triangle that could have lit this show on fire for years, but I guess there were personal issues there.

Ireland98

Great interview from Peter. I do miss seeing Bo Brady on Days and want him back!
I think Bo and Hope had some good stuff under MarDar (as did many of the vets).
The fact that Peter left not long after TomSuck came back was telling.
I'm still annoyed at the awful exit story for Bo!
I wish we could get rid of Daniel and Rafe, or at least reduce their airtime, and see more of Bo!

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

MarDar made me a Bo/Hope fan with the scene they gave them on the couch at Alice's, I think it was, where they were talking about their history together and for the first time I really felt the chemistry between the actors. I think they were writing a happy Bo/Hope John/Marlena story with the letters mystery and it got interrupted and dropped.

About the interview, the one thing that sticks with me is the comment about new actors because to be honest, even though I don't necessarily like the characters or the portrayers, I don't feel like Days is full of new actors. They're new compared to Reckell/Bo, but they've been around for a couple years each at least, right? Except for maybe Sonny, who's not exactly dominating.

I just didn't get that part. The cast at Days feels pretty solid to me, in terms of having been around.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

See, I never considered Rafe to be a Bo replacement. If anything, he seems more like Roman.

King
Member Avatar

I am enjoying the break from Bo and Hope, but I do want him to come back. It would kill me if he went to another show.

DJsMommy
Member Avatar
❤Freddie❤

granolagirl
Jan 17 2013, 03:12 PM
Well, on one hand I feel a bit better about him leaving because these idiot PTB don't want to give him something worthy of his talent & legacy, so Days doesn't deserve him. On the other hand though, I just want to scream! We lost Peter because these numbnut writers/executives want him just lurking in the background like Roman. UGH

With my giddiness of having ED back starting to wear off, the show is feeling SO empty. There is only one Bo Brady & as much as I love JS, GG, BD, FS & CM, they just aren't Peter Reckell. Days should never be without Bo Brady, at least not for long. :'(

DJsMommy
Member Avatar
❤Freddie❤

annie21
Jan 17 2013, 04:44 PM
TFP.

Lastly, it was nice to hear PR affirm that this wasn't about money. I believe him. As for art, well, yes, it's true that soaps aren't high art. But PR apparently wants to collaborate on good stories that maybe give him a chance to stretch as an actor rather than just show up for a paycheck. I admire him for that.

ITA! Maybe if TIIC hadn't of got rid of Shawn D & Chelsea, there would be some good stories Bo & Hope could be apart of with their kids. Shawn D should be one of the ones leading story on this show right now. I always looked forward to Shawn D being a grown & Bope being there supporting him. What a waste! :shame:

Daysofold

Days4Life
Jan 17 2013, 03:28 PM
I so agree with what Peter Reckell said in the interview excerpts. If soaps are going to survive, they have to find a way to keep familiar characters relevant while adding interesting new characters to the canvas. If you take away all the vets, you destroy the history of the show and the familiarity that keeps viewers tuning in for years. I had an emotional connection to Bo Brady that I have never come close to feeling for new characters the writers have thrown at us over the last few years. The writers don't do a proper introduction and character development any more, just throw someone like Daniel or Rafe onscreen four days a week, in front burner story, and demand we become invested in them....it doesn't work that way.
What an excellent post! I too fell in love with the Bo/Hope pairing in the 80's. They captured the hearts of so many and still do to this day. So many have said that there is no balance to this show and is so true. You must be able to feature the vets with the newbies and the writers don't know how to do this, or only care about what they want to feature. But little do they realize, if they don't have viewers, they don't wont have a show. They ratings are declining and numbers don't lie. Get rid of the current regime and hire good quality writing. If you have that, you'll improve in the ratings.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 17 2013, 07:38 PM
See, I never considered Rafe to be a Bo replacement. If anything, he seems more like Roman.
josh taylor roman

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

DJsMommy
Jan 17 2013, 11:07 PM
annie21
Jan 17 2013, 04:44 PM
TFP.

ITA! Maybe if TIIC hadn't of got rid of Shawn D & Chelsea, there would be some good stories Bo & Hope could be apart of with their kids. Shawn D should be one of the ones leading story on this show right now. I always looked forward to Shawn D being a grown & Bope being there supporting him. What a waste! :shame:
:hail:

I completely agree with this. I'm not a fan of the Chelsea character, but there's no excuse for Shawn not to be there. I know many people disliked Jason Cook, but I adored the boy, and for me he is the adult Shawn D. With him gone from GH, I wish Days would court him back.

annie21

DrewHamilton
Jan 17 2013, 07:38 PM
Character-wise, I would agree that Rafe was originally drawn to be similar to Sami's father, the man she's always adored. But in terms of placement on the show, there have been times where Rafe got stories that would otherwise be given to Bo, especially in terms of police investigations.

On a more practical level, just look at the shift in airtime/number of episodes between PR and GG since GG's arrival in 2008. PR's dropped while GG's rose dramatically and overtook PR's totals. Yes, EJ/JS is up there, too. But he's the so-called villain. When it comes to the white-hat. hot-headed hero, PR has had to cede airtime and stories almost completely to GG. At least MarDar had Bope working together again to solve a mystery (Alice's letters), but that went nowhere.

Meanwhile, JT's Roman was put on the backburner and has remained there for years. His fate hasn't been affected by the appearance of Rafe in the same way as Bo's has.

esp13
Member Avatar

Daysofold
Jan 18 2013, 12:50 AM
Days4Life
Jan 17 2013, 03:28 PM
I so agree with what Peter Reckell said in the interview excerpts. If soaps are going to survive, they have to find a way to keep familiar characters relevant while adding interesting new characters to the canvas. If you take away all the vets, you destroy the history of the show and the familiarity that keeps viewers tuning in for years. I had an emotional connection to Bo Brady that I have never come close to feeling for new characters the writers have thrown at us over the last few years. The writers don't do a proper introduction and character development any more, just throw someone like Daniel or Rafe onscreen four days a week, in front burner story, and demand we become invested in them....it doesn't work that way.
What an excellent post! I too fell in love with the Bo/Hope pairing in the 80's. They captured the hearts of so many and still do to this day. So many have said that there is no balance to this show and is so true. You must be able to feature the vets with the newbies and the writers don't know how to do this, or only care about what they want to feature. But little do they realize, if they don't have viewers, they don't wont have a show. They ratings are declining and numbers don't lie. Get rid of the current regime and hire good quality writing. If you have that, you'll improve in the ratings.
If you think that bringing in new characters and backburning vets is a new thing, I suggest checking out the episode counts for the early-mid 1980's.

http://www.jason47.com/

There was a ton of new people then. The difference is that the stories were better.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

The difference also was the genre was thriving and there was no real risk in trying new people. Now you're risking everything. Now the end is probably in sight so I don't see the point in focusing the show on the newer people instead of the people who have been on the show. The "newer" people are actually not new anymore and its proven that they aren't ratings winners. I've lost hope for the show anyway, its the walking dead now until the 50th.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply