Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Michael Fairman summary of Peter Reckell SOD Interview
Topic Started: Jan 17 2013, 03:12 PM (5,307 Views)
JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

I miss Bo for nostalgic reasons, not because I have any great love for Bo, but I have to agree with some of the comments over at the Fairman site - specifically that there isn't a lot of story to tell for Bo and it's time for others to be front and center. However, I am at a loss as to why those "front and center" people should be people like Gabi (much as I am enjoying the drama in her current story), Melanie (remember, she left of her own accord, not the show's decision, so you can bet she'd still be a prominent character if she were still around) and Daniel but not people like Shawn Douglas and Belle, the son of Bope and daughter of Jarlena. It is a genuine head-scratcher for me because they do have a ton of story still to tell. At the very least, we should have some combination Shawn Douglas, Belle, Chelsea, Max, Philip, Stephanie, etc. coexisting alongside the relative newbies. These are all characters who are still in their youth and seemingly have vanished without a trace despite strong ties to the canvas.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

There were actually a lot of soap cancellations in the 80's. It was higher risk/higher reward compared to now.

am103
Member Avatar

I may be in the minority, but I am enjoying seeing Hope by herself on the canvas and look forward to whatever story is being cooked for her in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I love Peter Reckell AND Bo, but sometimes the problem with these outstanding supercouples is that when they are happy on the show, they become boring and get little screen-time. That is why we have interlopers like Kristen and Carly who come in and shake things up. The problem with that is that Bo and Hope had been written into a corner in that so much had already been done with them, that it was probably hard to find new stories for them. I'm not a writer and even I can see how it would be challenging to come up with something new and exciting for a couple who have thirty years of history on the show.

I would love to see Bo return one day and have a new story with Hope, but as far as right now goes, I'm certainly not complaining about the change.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

am103
Jan 22 2013, 03:39 AM
I may be in the minority, but I am enjoying seeing Hope by herself on the canvas and look forward to whatever story is being cooked for her in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I love Peter Reckell AND Bo, but sometimes the problem with these outstanding supercouples is that when they are happy on the show, they become boring and get little screen-time. That is why we have interlopers like Kristen and Carly who come in and shake things up. The problem with that is that Bo and Hope had been written into a corner in that so much had already been done with them, that it was probably hard to find new stories for them. I'm not a writer and even I can see how it would be challenging to come up with something new and exciting for a couple who have thirty years of history on the show.

I would love to see Bo return one day and have a new story with Hope, but as far as right now goes, I'm certainly not complaining about the change.
I agree that it's nice to have a change & see Hope "on her own" and being a support for Jennifer (even though a lot of people aren't fans of Dannifer) & Marlena. I do hope this mystery person shows up soon, cause i want Hope to have more to do than just that, because i think Kristian deserves it.
I think there's still a lot that can be written for Bope, but i think that the fact that Chelsea, Shawn, & JT are off-screen, Zack is dead, & Ciara is little, limits them in ways that characters like Marlena, John, Sami, Rafe, EJ, etc aren't limited.
I'd love to see Bo return at some point, but Hope needs to have at least one juicy story of her own first.

AHM

px780
Jan 17 2013, 07:23 PM
About the interview, the one thing that sticks with me is the comment about new actors because to be honest, even though I don't necessarily like the characters or the portrayers, I don't feel like Days is full of new actors. They're new compared to Reckell/Bo, but they've been around for a couple years each at least, right? Except for maybe Sonny, who's not exactly dominating.

I just didn't get that part. The cast at Days feels pretty solid to me, in terms of having been around.
I'm not sure if this is what PR meant, but to me, the thing is, characters like Daniel and Rafe and Chad (even Brady) still feel new to me, even though I know they've been on the show for several years now. That is because they weren't properly developed and integrated. They are still pretty much blank slates to me, non-characters who can just be stuck into whatever plot. Bo, Steve, and even Jack came in before I was watching, but I started watching Days when MA/Jack was a major player, and he was a well drawn, human character, with his own personality quirks. He was not a blank slate. He'd clearly been built into a character of dimension. Same with Bo. (Steve was already dead.) Now I've gone back and watched both Steve and Jack from their beginnings, and they weren't stuck in the way characters like Dan and Rafe are. Steve and Jack were integrated and built. (Though Jack wasn't really nailed down until MA came in and defined the character.) I miss characters. Now we have interchangeable parts, or interchangeable chests.

AHM

Also, it's true that some of the new characters of bygone Days never were very well defined, but notice that they didn't become the leads and that they went away within a few years. I'm thinking of the Tanners and the Scotts and the Faiths and such. (Brian Scofield was excellent though. Sadly, I think never getting a solid love interest did him in.) Contrast that with Rafe and Dan. They suck. They're poorly drawn. Yet they have been shoved as the leads for years now. What's up with that?

titan1978
Member Avatar

There is always a story for characters like Bo and Hope. They have intersting jobs in a show that is begging for some intrigue right now. The problem is they, like most of Salem, have not seen any good storylines in a long time.

Daysofold

titan1978
Jan 23 2013, 11:42 AM
There is always a story for characters like Bo and Hope. They have intersting jobs in a show that is begging for some intrigue right now. The problem is they, like most of Salem, have not seen any good storylines in a long time.
Couldn't agree more.

StoryGirl

Sounds like Peter is getting the PR machine going and trying to position himself for an offer to return to DAYS. I do find it somewhat disingenuous for him to blame artistic reasons for a departure. Soaps aren't exactly known for their artistic merit and by the way, he's been without a story of any value for some time now. Frankly, I think the supercouple model limits the stories available to him because any story outside of the coupledom would be viewed as un-Bo-like by long time viewers and he, apparently, has no interest in upsetting that applecart. Peter left because he was asked to take another pay cut.

There are certain harsh realities about daytime tv and television in general that must be accepted. Peter is nearly 60 years old in a genre that is on its last legs. Nothing short of a time machine will please the fans wanting a Bo return.

annie21

Well, if he was getting no work anyway, then why not just take the paycheck (even a reduced one) for doing nothing? It's basically free money. That's pretty much what KA and JT are doing now anyway. At least I can understand KA, because she has her jewelry line and the connection to the show helps her keep that going. And JT is supposed to be a good friend of Corday, so he seems okay with just showing up once or twice a month and saying a few lines.That's essentially what PR was facing.

Yeah, I could see not accepting a pay cut if the show expected him to do more for less. But that wasn't the case.

I understand that soaps aren't considered high art, but actors do win awards and they do get to try new stuff with the right writing and storylines. Sounds like PR was being presented the worst of all worlds: little pay and even less story and acting opportunities as he gets put further and further on the backburner. Add to that the possibility that he had grown tired of the scene and wasn't happy to see the new/old writers return (speculation on my part), and I don't blame him for passing on the deal. Money is always a factor, but it's not always the defining factor.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply