Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wednesday, January 23rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 23 2013, 11:22 AM (8,452 Views)
cord08

I still fail to understand the point of Cameron. (Although, I recognize the current incarnation is good looking). He's a doctor, he shouldn't be in the YA stories in the first place. Both he and Chad barely knew Lexie, so them arguing over her almost seems laughable. Abby needs someone less bland to balance out her character.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Um, yeah, Nick, I think Will has already made his decision.

And yes, I agree with Matt. I think they are going with the classic abused woman syndrome. Nick sees Gabi and the baby as his possessions.

Harmony233

Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 01:39 PM
Look, the show knows Sami should be talking to Lucas!
I didn't know sami and lucas knew each other with the way this show acts sometimes lol

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

JessicaLeigh
Jan 23 2013, 01:40 PM
Matt
Jan 23 2013, 01:37 PM
You know, it just dawned on me that Gabi has SEVERE self-esteem issues which is the unspoken backbone of this story. The guy she lost her virginity to came out as gay. She then became fixated on her first boyfriend to the point that she stalked herself (which led to a kidnapping). Now she's hooked up with the first guy who genuinely wants to be with her. Consequently, she's letting him run the entire show. She'll barely even speak up with her own complete thoughts regarding the baby and Nick & Will's roles.
Yes. This. Gabi's self-esteem issues have been the recurring thread in her stories ever since her split from Will. She's even expressed them herself. She's not the most stable or emotionally healthy person so I've come realize I shouldn't judge her actions as if she is.
That being said, my last sentence goes for a lot of a soap characters (or characters in general)...

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Rafe, how did you not see this real side of Sami before???? Seriously, did you pay no attention for the last four years????

I'm going to need them to inject a little big of EJ into Everett during this custody storyline. Ejami doing some underhanded things to get Will his baby needs to happen.

Ok, I know I've said it multiple times today, but BB is playing this just perfectly. So controlling but with this calm smile. I get why stupid, spineless Gabi is falling pray to his manipulations.

I like that in the same episode they have Will tell Wabi that his fear of losing Sonny was NOT the reason he agreed to give up the baby and then turn around and tell Sonny that was the exact reason he did. Well done, scriptwriter (and I'm not being sarcastic - I like that Will isn't being entirely honest with himself or others).
Edited by tomsawyer, Jan 23 2013, 01:46 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm not sure I'd even say that Nick is abusive. Controlling, yes, but I don't even see that as him thinking it's a bad thing. He loves Gabi and wants to take care of her and protect her and he's doing that the way he thinks is best. To be honest, he's kinda being a traditional male (in an extreme sense). And Gabi is more than willing to let him. I don't think he'd ever physically harm Gabi or emotionally abuse her in any way, but he's most definitely controlling and I think he's only doing that because she lets him and even acts like that's what she wants. IMO, this story is written with a WHOLE lot of layers.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 01:41 PM
Um, yeah, Nick, I think Will has already made his decision.

And yes, I agree with Matt. I think they are going with the classic abused woman syndrome. Nick sees Gabi and the baby as his possessions.
I think Nick's domination of Gabi has actually been more insidious and manipulative than what can be seen in typical sufferers of battered spouse syndrome. Though it is possible that it may get worse and worse, and clearer and clearer to the audience and other characters, before it actually dawns on Gabi what has happened to her.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 01:39 PM
Look, the show knows Sami should be talking to Lucas!
That's it! This is EJ in the role of Lucas! Now it makes sense.

cord08

Will and Abby! Love Maxine shutting down Nick and making Gabi talk.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 23 2013, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure I'd even say that Nick is abusive. Controlling, yes, but I don't even see that as him thinking it's a bad thing. He loves Gabi and wants to take care of her and protect her and he's doing that the way he thinks is best. To be honest, he's kinda being a traditional male (in an extreme sense). And Gabi is more than willing to let him. I don't think he'd ever physically harm Gabi or emotionally abuse her in any way, but he's most definitely controlling and I think he's only doing that because she lets him and even acts like that's what she wants. IMO, this story is written with a WHOLE lot of layers.
Not allowing her to make decisions about her child with the child's father is emotionally abusive. Forcing his homophobia on her is abusive. Making her lie to her baby's father is abusive.

So, we're going to have to agree to disagree. And my money's on "traditional male" Nick smacking Gabi around before this is all over.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

These Sami vs. Adrienne scenes are great - both being realistically protective. LOL at Sami trumping Adrienne in the my-son's-life-is-worse-than-your-son's-life contest.

CM is great in these WilSon scenes. He knows he screwed up and has no way to explain what he did. CM plays clueless well.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

tomsawyer

I like that in the same episode they have Will tell Wabi that his fear of losing Sonny was NOT the reason he agreed to give up the baby and then turn around and tell Sonny that was the exact reason he did. Well done, scriptwriter (and I'm not being sarcastic - I like that Will isn't being entirely honest with himself or others).
Will had multiple reasons for not wanting to raise the baby that included not wanting to mess up his new relationship with Sonny. But Will's conversation with Sonny was about why he didn't tell Sonny, not why Will chose to hide/give up his paternal rights. He definitely didn't share things Will Sonny because he didn't want to ruin their relationship (and possibly because Gabi didn't want him to tell anyone early on) but that's not the same thing.

I do think Sonny was part of the reason Will didn't want to step up as the father, but it was certainly not his sole reason.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm constantly amazed by how many different & logical beats this Will/Gabi/Nick story hits. The entire of today's episode played under the umbrella of this storyline and every character interaction was because of it (or affected by it). IMO, this is simply good old-fashioned soap opera story telling where a storyline is explored from MULTIPLE angles with each character weighing in on it in character building moments and the ripple effects are felt by nearly every other storyline. This is the best thing that this show has done in years.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Matt
Agree. I could see Nick turning abusive at some point, but I really feel more like he's just domineering and controlling. And Gabi's the type of woman that is perfectly okay with this. With her self-esteem issues and the predicament she's in with the baby, this makes a lot of sense.

EJ_SamiFF
Member Avatar

Wabi is having a girl..awww Will's going to have a daughter. :wub:

cord08

IT'S A GIRL!

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Awwww. So glad that Will came, though I'm not quite clear how Abby knew about the appointment and spilled. I'm glad she did!

cord08

The last scene with Will walking in on Gabi and Nick was good. Well-played by CM.

Harmony233

I'm really shocked its a girl lol i thought for sure it would be a boy

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 23 2013, 01:55 PM
I'm constantly amazed by how many different & logical beats this Will/Gabi/Nick story hits. The entire of today's episode played under the umbrella of this storyline and every character interaction was because of it (or affected by it). IMO, this is simply good old-fashioned soap opera story telling where a storyline is explored from MULTIPLE angles with each character weighing in on it in character building moments and the ripple effects are felt by nearly every other storyline. This is the best thing that this show has done in years.
I am agreeing with you a lot today, and so I will again. The umbrella nature of this story has been a really good antidote to months of isolated stories and character interaction.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply