Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wednesday, January 23rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 23 2013, 11:22 AM (8,375 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Today's show was directed by Grant A. Johnson from a script written by Janet Iacobuzio.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

tomsawyer
Jan 23 2013, 01:56 PM
Matt
Jan 23 2013, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure I'd even say that Nick is abusive. Controlling, yes, but I don't even see that as him thinking it's a bad thing. He loves Gabi and wants to take care of her and protect her and he's doing that the way he thinks is best. To be honest, he's kinda being a traditional male (in an extreme sense). And Gabi is more than willing to let him. I don't think he'd ever physically harm Gabi or emotionally abuse her in any way, but he's most definitely controlling and I think he's only doing that because she lets him and even acts like that's what she wants. IMO, this story is written with a WHOLE lot of layers.
Agree. I could see Nick turning abusive at some point, but I really feel more like he's just domineering and controlling. And Gabi's the type of woman that is perfectly okay with this. With her self-esteem issues and the predicament she's in with the baby, this makes a lot of sense.
If Nick turns abusive it's going to be toward Chad or Will or someone he perceives can ruin his 'happy little family' that he's created in his head. But I won't say that he won't get abusive with Gabi....he's already showing severe signs of being borderline obsessive, he just catches himself, apologizes and carries on and then does something to showcase that type of behavior a few days later. What might push him over the edge is if Gabi EVER has eyes for another man, if that man is Chad then it's going to be crazy.

I agree the story is one of the best Days has done in a long time. I just wish they would prominently feature Kate and Lucas more in this story. Thus far, it's more about Rafe/Sami/Ej and how to try to make it about the two couples in one way or another, than it is about others that are actually more impacted by this story than those three people.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Rafe: "She's never been cruel to my family before." LOL.

Dazefan4now
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Jan 23 2013, 01:25 PM
I feel like this show is writen as EJ is Will's daddy. This show feels like twilight zone.
Well he was Rafe's (Sami did call him their son) for a couple of years so I guess it's EJ's turn. Although I don't hear Sami proclaiming that he's EJ's son like she did with Rafe. EJ's two children are Will's half brother and sister so I can understand his involvement but Lucas should def be more involved in this storyline. It's a shame writers don't. With this s/l, I'm def Team Lucas.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Harmony233
Jan 23 2013, 01:59 PM
I'm really shocked its a girl lol i thought for sure it would be a boy
Me too...I thought for sure they'd try to carry on the Horton name...but I guess nowadays it doesn't really matter, woman can do the hyphen.
So let's name the baby shall we? I say it's going to be:

Marlena Katherine Caroline Alice Horton.....LMFAO
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gailwinters
Member Avatar

Really good show today. The final act set up the stories which are going to play out - Rafe and Sami at each other's throats, EJ and Sami at each other's lips, and Will fighting Nabi for his baby.

NuCameron is a terrible actor.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jan 23 2013, 02:03 PM
Harmony233
Me too...I thought for sure they'd try to carry on the Horton name...but I guess nowadays it doesn't really matter, woman can do the hyphen.

That's not even a joke! I'll bet money Will's going to want to name the girl Marlena.

Harmony233

Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 02:06 PM
LuvingLumi
Jan 23 2013, 02:03 PM
Harmony233

That's not even a joke! I'll bet money Will's going to want to name the girl Marlena.
enogh with naming the baby after somebody lol although i bet gabby will name her after her sister

gailwinters
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 23 2013, 02:00 PM
Rafe: "She's never been cruel to my family before." LOL.

Yeah, I almost fell out of my chair. Rafael really has a selective memory, doesn't he? LOL

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar

Just dont name the baby after Rafe, the name is curse.
Edited by Sonny_BrendaFan, Jan 23 2013, 02:09 PM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 23 2013, 01:55 PM
I'm constantly amazed by how many different & logical beats this Will/Gabi/Nick story hits. The entire of today's episode played under the umbrella of this storyline and every character interaction was because of it (or affected by it). IMO, this is simply good old-fashioned soap opera story telling where a storyline is explored from MULTIPLE angles with each character weighing in on it in character building moments and the ripple effects are felt by nearly every other storyline. This is the best thing that this show has done in years.
It really is a fantastic story. It touches so many characters and all the beats are playing out in a realistic way. I love that teams are forming and I love that everybody is picking sides, even including people like Nicole, in a very realistic way. I love that they are giving all the characters understandable motivations. I love that they are touching on important issues like a gay couple potentially raising a child. And I love that there are so many potential beats that can still be played that they really haven't yet, such as the torn allegiances of the Horton family between Nick and Will. It's been so long since we've had a great umbrella story and so far I'm LOVING this one.

Harmony233

LuvingLumi
Jan 23 2013, 02:00 PM
tomsawyer
Jan 23 2013, 01:56 PM
Matt
I'm not sure I'd even say that Nick is abusive. Controlling, yes, but I don't even see that as him thinking it's a bad thing. He loves Gabi and wants to take care of her and protect her and he's doing that the way he thinks is best. To be honest, he's kinda being a traditional male (in an extreme sense). And Gabi is more than willing to let him. I don't think he'd ever physically harm Gabi or emotionally abuse her in any way, but he's most definitely controlling and I think he's only doing that because she lets him and even acts like that's what she wants. IMO, this story is written with a WHOLE lot of layers.
Agree. I could see Nick turning abusive at some point, but I really feel more like he's just domineering and controlling. And Gabi's the type of woman that is perfectly okay with this. With her self-esteem issues and the predicament she's in with the baby, this makes a lot of sense.
If Nick turns abusive it's going to be toward Chad or Will or someone he perceives can ruin his 'happy little family' that he's created in his head. But I won't say that he won't get abusive with Gabi....he's already showing severe signs of being borderline obsessive, he just catches himself, apologizes and carries on and then does something to showcase that type of behavior a few days later. What might push him over the edge is if Gabi EVER has eyes for another man, if that man is Chad then it's going to be crazy.

I agree the story is one of the best Days has done in a long time. I just wish they would prominently feature Kate and Lucas more in this story. Thus far, it's more about Rafe/Sami/Ej and how to try to make it about the two couples in one way or another, than it is about others that are actually more impacted by this story than those three people.
now why would kate and lucas be involved in this story I mean its not like they know anything about custody battles or are releated to will or anything

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Jan 23 2013, 01:25 PM
I feel like this show is writen as EJ is Will's daddy. This show feels like twilight zone.
What ej is not will father :sarcasm:

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

I can't wait to watch this episode!!

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Jan 23 2013, 01:49 PM
Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 01:39 PM
Look, the show knows Sami should be talking to Lucas!
That's it! This is EJ in the role of Lucas! Now it makes sense.
what else is new

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

Think I'm gonna enjoy this more than tuesday's episode.

Chad is back onscreen and so is Abby. So that makes me a happy fan! :wub:

Pookie
Member Avatar

Matt
That's exactly how abuse starts. It starts out small and then it ramps up. That's what the writers seem to be doing here. And of course the abuser doesn't think he's a dick. They usually think they're completely justified in their actions. Even after they hit a woman. They say they feel bad about hurting them but then turn right around and say/imply that they had it coming.

Trust me, if Gabi ever gets a backbone and starts defying Nick, that fist is gonna come out eventually. Especially if she gets sick of his controlling ways and tries to extricate herself from the relationship.

There is nothing normal or reasonable about what Nick's doing. He's got control issues. Homophobia issues. Probably mental health issues too. It's not normal to try and force all the things he's trying to force out of people at such a fast pace. He JUST got out of prison and he thinks he can land the wife, the kid, the dream job and the white picket fence in a matter of months? He's trying to manipulate and sometimes just ram rod people into getting what he wants. Everyone else be damned.

THAT'S NOT NORMAL. If he was being sensible, he would be taking his time in adjusting to his new life. He was in prison for MURDER for YEARS. That in itself is traumatizing. Nick isn't dealing with his issues, he's trying to erase them and pretend they don't exist.
Edited by Pookie, Jan 23 2013, 03:07 PM.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

Will is having a baby girl! :wub:

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

NocturnalBlondie
Jan 23 2013, 02:48 PM
Will is having a baby girl! :wub:
Or, according to Maxine, a baby giiiiiiirl.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Pookie
Jan 23 2013, 02:42 PM
Matt
That's exactly how abuse starts. It starts out small and then it ramps up. That's what the writers seem to be doing here. And of course the abuser doesn't think he's a dick. They usually think they're completely justified in their actions. Even after they hit a woman. They say they feel bad about hurting them but then turn right around and say/imply that they had it coming.

There is nothing normal or reasonable with what Nick's doing. He's got control issue. Homophobia issues. Probably mental health issue too. It's not normal to try and force all the things he's trying to force out of people at such a fast pace. He JUST got out of prison and he thinks he can land the wife, the kid, the dream job and the white picket fence in a matter of months? He's trying to manipulate and sometimes just ram rod people into getting what he wants. Everyone else be damned.

THAT'S NOT NORMAL. If he was being sensible, he would be taking his time in adjusting to his new life. He was in prison for MURDER for YEARS. That in itself is traumatizing. Nick isn't dealing with his issue, he's trying to erase them and pretend they don't exist.
Well said. I agree with all of it. Though I'm not sure I can envision Nick actually physically abusing Gabi. It's certainly possible, but I'm not convinced that's where it will end up going. So far he hasn't had the explosions of rage - often beginning only verbally, before they take on a more physical character - that I would expect to accompany that. (And this goes without saying really, but abuse isn't only physical, and if the blatantly abnormal, controlling and obsessive way he's already behaving doesn't already constitute abuse of Gabi, then the gradual escalation in his behavior seems to indicate that the possibility that he will begin engaging in full-scale emotional and psychological abuse is very likely very soon. If I had a friend who was in Gabi's position I would be pretty alarmed.)
Edited by JessicaLeigh, Jan 23 2013, 02:58 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply