Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wednesday, January 23rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 23 2013, 11:22 AM (8,337 Views)
Pookie
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 23 2013, 05:11 PM
Pookie
Jan 23 2013, 04:27 PM
tomsawyer
Jan 23 2013, 04:10 PM
esp13
Jan 23 2013, 04:02 PM
Sigh. I think we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about what has actually happened and you're talking about where you think it's going. Thus far, onscreen, Nick has not been abusive. With the exception of the day he found out she was pregnant and thought it was Chad's, he has not yelled at her about anything. And he's NEVER made any kind of physical threat. And, quite frankly, when he did yell at her, it was far less nasty than they way Sami attacked her the other day.

Now, I understand why you think Nick is showing signs of becoming an abuser. I won't even disagree that those signs are there. I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion. And, part of that is because we have yet to see Gabi stand up for herself. She's the non-entity in her own story and, like Matt, I think that's a deliberate choice. I think she's happy to have Nick make all the decisions because she doesn't have to. And until she really stands up for something, we don't know how it will come out. At that point, depending on Nick's reaction, I think we'll have a better idea.

And, for the record, I'm not blaming the victim. I'm not ignoring warning signs or supporting an abuser. Nick's an ass and if my friend was dating him and I saw how he acted about some things, I'd tell her. But being an ass, even a controlling one, does not equal being physically and emotionally abusive, IMO.
Exactly. Could Nick become abusive? Yes. Has he been abusive so far? No.

If they take Nick down the abuser road, they would've laid the ground work effectively. And if they continue to ratchet up his controlling ways, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they ultimately take him. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. So far, he looks like a controlling, bossy guy who has an insecure pushover of a girlfriend.
But this is how it happens for abuse victims. They tell themselves, yeah there are some problems but he hasn't got that bad YET. Then they do nothing and wait and see. Until when it finally does get really bad they're in so deep they don't know how to get themselves out of it. If red flags are shooting up left and right, it's not wise or healthy to ignore them. You need to deal with them head on before it spirals out of control.
I don't think anybody is disagreeing with this. I think I've said several times that Gabi needs to stand up for herself. And she does. She needs to recognize what's going on and part of what is going on is her passivity. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's reached the level of abusive at this point. It might be going there. It might not.
Well I have a LOW threshold for that kind of thing. So for ME, he's being abusive. Abuse is about more than physical harm. And just because Nick hasn't man handled or hit her yet doesn't mean he isn't abusive. Right now it's psychologically abusive with the manipulation and the controlling ways.

Nick has an attitude with ANYONE who doesn't fall in line. Did you see the look he gave Maxine because she said Gabi was the one who needed to ask the questions? Then he complained to Gabi about it. Does he really think everyone in Salem is gonna fall in line and view him as the father now that everyone knows the truth? He's clearly built up this delusion in his mind that has absolutely nothing to do with reality.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Ha! Will just called out asleep at the wheel Gabi.

I'm ready for a Nick/Sami scene.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Okay, what did Rafe mean by "mixed up"??

That could have hidden meaning there....

EJ standing up for Will... :wub:

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Well Hello Gabi, welcome to your life. Glad you decided to join the conversation about YOUR LIFE.

And Nick is just running the show again.

Manipulation thy name is Nick.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I love Nicole...

And I think she's about to get strapped with :huh1: .

Okay, I'm going to need everyone to sit down for this, and Lysie, you probably are going to want to look away......

I'm so team Sami right now it's ridic.

I'm loving her right now.

There I said it.

I expect to be blocked, unfriended, unfollowed & reported.

It was nice knowing ya.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

How bad does NuCameron have to be for Chad to look like the better actor in that scene.

And the one I'm rooting for.

Dear gawd, what's wrong with me???

Someone might need to consider staging an intervention.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 04:38 PM
Also, the show is completely inconsistent when showing abusive behaviors. That's why the EJ stuff is so alarming. He was awful to Nicole after she left him, and now he's charming and seems to truly care about Will and Sami. That I can't chalk up to intent by the writers but inconsistency. EJ is simply a different person under different writing regimes, or at least that's my explanation for it.

If I didn't know the history of EJ and Sami and started watching this show in say, December, I would be wondering what Sami ever saw in that neanderthal Rafe and rooting for her to jump into EJ's arms. Their chemistry and dynamic is really positive to me in their scenes, but writing that makes me wince because I know the history. And let's not even get started on EJ holding Rafe in cage.
Even as an Ejami fan, I agree with this. It's surreal to see a guy who two years ago was unveiling Rafe 2 now be the guy who's doing everything he can to support Sami against Rafe's attacks. He's so different that we had to give him a new name - Everett. And I think you are absolutely right that changes in writing regimes have given us different versions of many characters, none more than EJ. Indeed, there have been so many versions of his character over the last 6.5 years that I can't even keep track (ask Socr for the count because she's named them all).

And ultimately, I'm not sure what to do about this. I could complain that EJ should be written like _____ (fill in your favorite version of EJ). I know I've done that a lot over the last three years on this board. But it seems our complaints about the inconsistency of characters, especially EJ, have fallen on deaf ears. Each writer writes him the way they want based on the story they've planned. So I've given up on expecting consistency or logical character development, and just trying to go with what's on my screen. And I must say, I'm wholeheartedly enjoying EJeverett circa 2013 and his chemistry with Sami.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Okay, I'm going to have to call a big ole bull shit hear Rafe...

Sami attacked your dead sister, was trying to knock her over the head with a paperweight.

The difference???

You were so up Sami's ass you threw Arianna under the bus...literally & figuratively.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Oh snap!

Sami ain't taking no shit.

She's left Adrienne speechless. (Still looking smashing tho)

I'm going to just say it while everyone's in the midst of blocking me, AS was VERY good in those scenes with Adrienne. Very good.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 23 2013, 05:35 PM
Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 04:38 PM
Also, the show is completely inconsistent when showing abusive behaviors. That's why the EJ stuff is so alarming. He was awful to Nicole after she left him, and now he's charming and seems to truly care about Will and Sami. That I can't chalk up to intent by the writers but inconsistency. EJ is simply a different person under different writing regimes, or at least that's my explanation for it.

If I didn't know the history of EJ and Sami and started watching this show in say, December, I would be wondering what Sami ever saw in that neanderthal Rafe and rooting for her to jump into EJ's arms. Their chemistry and dynamic is really positive to me in their scenes, but writing that makes me wince because I know the history. And let's not even get started on EJ holding Rafe in cage.
Even as an Ejami fan, I agree with this. It's surreal to see a guy who two years ago was unveiling Rafe 2 now be the guy who's doing everything he can to support Sami against Rafe's attacks. He's so different that we had to give him a new name - Everett. And I think you are absolutely right that changes in writing regimes have given us different versions of many characters, none more than EJ. Indeed, there have been so many versions of his character over the last 6.5 years that I can't even keep track (ask Socr for the count because she's named them all).

And ultimately, I'm not sure what to do about this. I could complain that EJ should be written like _____ (fill in your favorite version of EJ). I know I've done that a lot over the last three years on this board. But it seems our complaints about the inconsistency of characters, especially EJ, have fallen on deaf ears. Each writer writes him the way they want based on the story they've planned. So I've given up on expecting consistency or logical character development, and just trying to go with what's on my screen. And I must say, I'm wholeheartedly enjoying EJeverett circa 2013 and his chemistry with Sami.
I pretend the whole Rafe2 Taylor era never happened.

Seriously.

It was SO bad and so ridiculous it should be forgotten.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

And I'm now team Chabby.

Damn.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Jan 23 2013, 05:43 PM
I pretend the whole Rafe2 Taylor era never happened.

Seriously.

It was SO bad and so ridiculous it should be forgotten.
This is probably the best solution. I don't remember a run of the show that was worse than January - August 2011. The only positive out of that run is that it got DH's ass fired.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I'm not going to bore you with my fangirling, suffice it to say I'm pathetic.

But, overall, this was a very good show.

esp13
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Jan 23 2013, 05:36 PM

Sami attacked your dead sister, was trying to knock her over the head with a paperweight.

The difference???

You were so up Sami's ass you threw Arianna under the bus...literally & figuratively.

Can somebody fill me in on just what Rafe knew about Arianna knowing about Sami? I mean, I know Rafe knew Sami shot EJ. And I know Arianna figured it out. But I simply have no memory of Rafe knowing that Arianna knew or vice versa even. And I have no memory of Rafe knowing that Sami attacked Arianna and/or that Arianna was fighting with Will and Sami right before she got ran over.

BTW, I'm not saying he didn't know all the details, I just don't remember it. Thanks.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

This episode was so freaking good, all the characters played their roles perfectly, so kudos to the actors and the Days writers for this episiod :)

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Oh, and something I loved was Maxine picking up the abuse/control dynamic between Nick and Gabi and refusing to answer Nick's questions. Go Maxine! Go HIPPA, too!

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 23 2013, 05:48 PM
SoapGal1

The difference???

Can somebody fill me in on just what Rafe knew about Arianna knowing about Sami? I mean, I know Rafe knew Sami shot EJ. And I know Arianna figured it out. But I simply have no memory of Rafe knowing that Arianna knew or vice versa even. And I have no memory of Rafe knowing that Sami attacked Arianna and/or that Arianna was fighting with Will and Sami right before she got ran over.

BTW, I'm not saying he didn't know all the details, I just don't remember it. Thanks.
He knew that Arianna had figured it out & told Ari that he would tell the police she was lying& call her credibility in to question due to her running with that drug gang.

After that is when she went to Sami's & taped her confession & when she let Sami in on it, Sami went after her, they fought & at the end Sami grabbed a paperweight & was about to hit her in the head with it & I think Bo or Kayla showed up??

Then Ari called EJ to meet her @ the pub & she ran into Will there who was trying to talk her out of going to the cops & Ari got all upset & Will was trying to grab her & she ran into the street...right at the time EJ showed up...BOOM.

Pookie
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jan 23 2013, 05:52 PM
Oh, and something I loved was Maxine picking up the abuse/control dynamic between Nick and Gabi and refusing to answer Nick's questions. Go Maxine! Go HIPPA, too!
That or she was probably thinking "Mutha fu#@ka this ain't your kid. STFU! Where's Will?"

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 23 2013, 05:48 PM
SoapGal1

The difference???

Yeah, Rafe knew that Ari knew about Sami. Here's a clip that pretty well sums up Rafe, Sami and Arianna's relationship around that time...

As to whether Rafe knew about Sami trying to club Ari over the head with a paperweight, I don't recall.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Jan 23 2013, 05:09 PM
Umm Rafe, I'm pretty sure Gabriella Donatella Hernanditella has made more than one honest mistake.
I can say with certainty she made at least a couple of dishonest ones.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply