Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday, January 24th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 24 2013, 09:59 AM (14,723 Views)
six
Member Avatar

delete
Edited by six, Jan 25 2013, 03:29 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

annie21
Jan 25 2013, 11:16 AM
six
Jan 25 2013, 08:18 AM
annie21
Jan 25 2013, 12:13 AM
I've really enjoyed reading all the back and forth about EJ and scheming, lol! As someone who originally asked a sincere question about that earlier in this thread, I've found it interesting seeing various points of view.

Two quick points. I honestly thought that all those conversations between EJ and Kristen where she was advising him on how to get Sami back (and drive a wedge between her and Rafe) is what led to the Everett we're seeing now. To me, all the DiMeras currently in Salem have been scheming behind the scenes in various ways and checking in periodically with each other (and -- in Kristen's case -- with Stefano) on their progress. Kristen is causing havoc for Jarlena. Chad is seeking revenge on Gabi. And EJ is trying a new tactic in his multi-year pursuit of Sami. Yes, all of this pales in comparison to the dastardly schemes of yesteryear.

This leads me to my second point. Scheming doesn't always imply evil or other negative connotations. At it's most basic, to scheme means to pursue a plan of action. And I think that EJ does have a plan in mind. Whether he pursues that through benign schemes or despicable ones, his goal has been the same for years and years. This Everett angle (and most of the other EJ iterations) have that one thing in common -- they were all variations on the theme of EJ scheming to get Sami.

If Everett truly is a real and permanent change in the way the character is being written by TomSell, then we should be seeing that manifested in every aspect of EJ's life -- not just when he's with Sami and/or her family members. So, imo, it remains to be seen whether schmoopy Everett is here to stay or whether EJ's true colors (to the extent he has any after all the rewrites and character changeups) will re-emerge.
Not to beat a dead horse, but under that broad definition, wouldn't everyone be scheming? Daniel has a plan to do surgeries and get in Jen's pants. Hope has a plan to keep Salem safe and raise Ciara to have certain values etc.
Um, no. Sorry, if I wasn't clear.

Actually, I thought what we were discussing is whether this Everett version of EJ is genuine and is basically the new face of the character, or whether it's a temporary mask -- a means to an end.

It seemed to me that some people were saying the word "scheme" as if it can only refer to the dastardly schemes EJ is fully capable of and has pursued in the past. I was merely pointing out that schemes can also be relatively benign and are not always evil or criminal.

As for Daniel and Hope, I would say Daniel schemed to get Chloe away from her husband. And Hope has schemed in the past to counter the threats to her marriage she viewed in the form of Billie and Carly.

Back to EJ, whether he's currently scheming or not, his goal is the same as if he were. Like I said in a previous thread, EJ reminds me of Wile E. Coyote. He's constantly trying to get Sami the Roadrunner and basically gets nowhere.

The original conversation started because someone said Sami was getting tricked, so the the definition of scheme that we were using (a plan that is underhanded, even if the steps are benign) was set early on. The broad definition you brought up makes it sound like he'd have to be scheming, simply because he has a goal. lol (Who isn't currently "pursing a plan of action?"). But anyway, agree to disagree.

La_Laa

Such a good Wilson scenes :wub:

I loved how William came to the coffee house with a look of confidence on his face. He had his daughter and now was ready to get his man back.

Awww, when William said: I miss you every minute. I miss you every day! and "You're the best thing that could have ever happened to me." *this made my heart melt*

Chandler loves playing with Freddie's hair. In this episode he was rubbing and pinching Freddie's ears. What to expect from Chandler next?! Only Chandler knows! :biggrin:

Honeybees
Member Avatar

La_Laa
Jan 25 2013, 04:12 PM

I loved how William came to the coffee house with a look of confidence on his face. He had his daughter and now was ready to get his man back.

Awww, when William said: I miss you every minute. I miss you every day! and "You're the best thing that could have ever happened to me." *this made my heart melt*

Chandler loves playing with Freddie's hair. In this episode he was rubbing and pinching Freddie's ears. What to expect from Chandler next?! Only Chandler knows! :biggrin:
I loved how Will took off his jacket as if to say, I'm staying awhile. Loved how confident he was with Sonny. Will is so often indecisive, it was wonderful to see him claim his daughter and declare his love for Sonny.

And I get the feeling Will is good in the sack and knows it. If he had gotten Sonny alone, that would have been that. :wub2:

annie21

six
Jan 25 2013, 03:44 PM
annie21
Jan 25 2013, 11:16 AM
six
Jan 25 2013, 08:18 AM
annie21
Jan 25 2013, 12:13 AM
I've really enjoyed reading all the back and forth about EJ and scheming, lol! As someone who originally asked a sincere question about that earlier in this thread, I've found it interesting seeing various points of view.

Two quick points. I honestly thought that all those conversations between EJ and Kristen where she was advising him on how to get Sami back (and drive a wedge between her and Rafe) is what led to the Everett we're seeing now. To me, all the DiMeras currently in Salem have been scheming behind the scenes in various ways and checking in periodically with each other (and -- in Kristen's case -- with Stefano) on their progress. Kristen is causing havoc for Jarlena. Chad is seeking revenge on Gabi. And EJ is trying a new tactic in his multi-year pursuit of Sami. Yes, all of this pales in comparison to the dastardly schemes of yesteryear.

This leads me to my second point. Scheming doesn't always imply evil or other negative connotations. At it's most basic, to scheme means to pursue a plan of action. And I think that EJ does have a plan in mind. Whether he pursues that through benign schemes or despicable ones, his goal has been the same for years and years. This Everett angle (and most of the other EJ iterations) have that one thing in common -- they were all variations on the theme of EJ scheming to get Sami.

If Everett truly is a real and permanent change in the way the character is being written by TomSell, then we should be seeing that manifested in every aspect of EJ's life -- not just when he's with Sami and/or her family members. So, imo, it remains to be seen whether schmoopy Everett is here to stay or whether EJ's true colors (to the extent he has any after all the rewrites and character changeups) will re-emerge.
Not to beat a dead horse, but under that broad definition, wouldn't everyone be scheming? Daniel has a plan to do surgeries and get in Jen's pants. Hope has a plan to keep Salem safe and raise Ciara to have certain values etc.
Um, no. Sorry, if I wasn't clear.

Actually, I thought what we were discussing is whether this Everett version of EJ is genuine and is basically the new face of the character, or whether it's a temporary mask -- a means to an end.

It seemed to me that some people were saying the word "scheme" as if it can only refer to the dastardly schemes EJ is fully capable of and has pursued in the past. I was merely pointing out that schemes can also be relatively benign and are not always evil or criminal.

As for Daniel and Hope, I would say Daniel schemed to get Chloe away from her husband. And Hope has schemed in the past to counter the threats to her marriage she viewed in the form of Billie and Carly.

Back to EJ, whether he's currently scheming or not, his goal is the same as if he were. Like I said in a previous thread, EJ reminds me of Wile E. Coyote. He's constantly trying to get Sami the Roadrunner and basically gets nowhere.

The original conversation started because someone said Sami was getting tricked, so the the definition of scheme that we were using (a plan that is underhanded, even if the steps are benign) was set early on. The broad definition you brought up makes it sound like he'd have to be scheming, simply because he has a goal. lol (Who isn't currently "pursing a plan of action?"). But anyway, agree to disagree.
Thanks for the explanation. As someone who was in on that early part of the conversation, I recall it a little bit differently, but okay. The main thing is that I agree with the definition you refer to. But what I saw was several people saying that there was no way Sami was being tricked because of the way EJ was handling it. Several of us disagreed with that premise. And I brought up the technical dictionary definition only to make the point that the word "scheme" in and of itself doesn't have to mean underhanded tactics along the extreme lines that we're used to with EJ, but rather that there is a range of possible tactics associated with the term.

Anyway, I don't think we were disagreeing that much, but we can agree to disagree about the degree to which we were disagreeing. :)

supercool74
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jan 25 2013, 04:26 PM
La_Laa
Jan 25 2013, 04:12 PM

I loved how Will took off his jacket as if to say, I'm staying awhile. Loved how confident he was with Sonny. Will is so often indecisive, it was wonderful to see him claim his daughter and declare his love for Sonny.

And I get the feeling Will is good in the sack and knows it. If he had gotten Sonny alone, that would have been that. :wub2:
I really love confident Will. I hope he sticks around. I mean...I love Will regardless, but I really love him when he knows what he wants. This whole Brian thing may revert him back though dammit. I still don't get Sonny saying it would just be sex...I really don't think it would have, at least not on Will's side. They still love each other. I still think it might have helped. At least get them talking. But I guess that might be too easy. I really wish they would have a good heart to heart, but I think Sonny probably needs some time and space first to cool off.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Jan 24 2013, 11:18 PM
lysie
Jan 24 2013, 10:26 PM
pennieloafer
Jan 24 2013, 10:25 PM
Samis skin looks gross
She looked incredibly pasty today
and super duper fat.
The leather pants make her middle bulge over the waist and her thighs look big,they are too small for her.If they are not going to burn them,they need to give them to Abby or Nicole.The shirt,tight leather pants,poufy hair,and dark lipstick make Sami look as if she was on her way to a neighborhood bar in a not so great neighborhood.I think this must be an AS wardrobe choice because I cannot imagine that any wardrobe person would dress her like this when she was supposedly on her way to work as a high powered executive in a large cosmetic firm.Can you imagine the look on the face of the staff or a client if they saw Sami at work in that outfit?
I thought she looked great however in the last scene wearing the nightgown although EJ left a lot to be desired.I don't know why they did not have him standing near the bed dressed only in pajama bottoms.That would have been a lot sexier than in bed with all those pillows as if he was a high school girl talking to her new boyfriend.

DayDreamer
Member Avatar
Fan of EJ+ABBY!

SoapGal1
Jan 24 2013, 05:12 PM
Okay, I had to pause here because that twirl to the sofa was freaking HAWT.

No, really HAWT.

I think I'm going to have to watch that again....

And get a glass of ice water.
LOL, I understand what you mean, .. I can't believe that I am actually watching this. LOL

Those two are certainly hot couple.. I don't mean just because this scene in particular.. wish the writers would use
this interesting duo in a more inventive way. I mean the havoc they could possibly cause is spectacular..
but still they keep writing as if Sami is the saint of saints... which she is not. And EJ trying to match that.. which he is not. He is no saint... but a caring gray devil (or he used to be) - caring for those that means something for him that is.
With EJs wits and Samis grand slam of scheming... they should make an excellent team.

Same can be argued with EJOLE but in a different way. I personally like EJAMI as that couple.

concerned
Member Avatar

That's right EJ don't let Everett give her any of the good stuff until you have a renegotiated custody agreement signed and in your top pocket.

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jan 24 2013, 01:13 PM
Awwww, Everett is so dashing. I like him so much better than Rafe.
WTF is Everett!!!!!?????? :shrug:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply