Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deadline: ‘Bold And Beautiful’ & ‘General Hospital’ Likely To Return As Soaps Stage Comeback
Topic Started: Jan 25 2013, 10:10 PM (1,239 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/bold-and-the-beautiful-general-hospital-returning-soap-opera-comeback/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:

What a difference a year makes. Between 2009 and 2012, daytime soaps went from 8 to 4, and by the end of 2012, Prospect Park’s effort to revive two of the departed, All My Children and One Life To Live, had hit a dead end. Then within the last month, NBC renewed its daytime drama, Days Of Our Lives, and Prospect Park got its plan for AMC and OLTL online series back on track. Now I hear that CBS is poised to renew The Bold And The Beautiful, and ABC has no plans to cancel General Hospital (the series is on a perpetual production track and doesn’t need formal renewals if the network wants to keep it on the air). CBS’ Young & The Restless, the highest-rated daytime drama, is two years into a three-year pickup, and casting and pre-production on AMC and OLTL is in full swing. That means that we will likely have more daytime dramas on next fall than we have this season — the first such year-to-year gain in 15 years, since NBC added Passions in 1998.

Daytime soaps’ improving fortunes is not a coincidence. After years of ratings erosion, numbers for the daytime dramas have stabilized, and they’ve even posted year-to-year gains this season. Bold And The Beautiful and General Hospital have made their networks’ decisions to keep them easy with impressive ratings increases. B&B averages 3.44 million total viewers (+6%), 1.6/9 in women 25-54 (+14%) and 1.1/7 in women 18-49 (+10%). Airing in an earlier slot to make room for Katie Couric’s new syndicated talk show, GH, which will mark its 50th anniversary April 1, averages 3 million viewers (+16%), a 1.6/9 in women 25-54 (no change) and 1.2/7 in women 18-49 (+9%).

Y&Rand Days Of Our Lives are down slightly: 4.74 million (-3%), 2.1/13 (no change) and 1.4/9 (-7%) for Y&R; and 2.64 million (no change), 1.3/7 (-7%) and 1.0/6 (-9%) for Days.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

Part of me is PISSED that neither ATWT nor GL ever received any sort of efforts to save them, or run them online. No one ever fought for them. They were just... canceled. And that was THE END.

But then OLTL and AMC get canned, and suddenly, everyone races to save the genre??

Even the press, pre-OLTL/AMC/PP stink, had rarely heard of a so-called "soap opera". But now? Every media site known to mankind has started posting "exclusive" casting news & behind-the-scenes "sneak peeks"... Where was all this care BEFORE the Prospect Park drama?!

It makes me SICK to know that my two favorite soaps got the short end of the stick.

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

Yay! Great news.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Actor87
Jan 25 2013, 10:27 PM
Part of me is PISSED that neither ATWT nor GL ever received any sort of efforts to save them, or run them online. No one ever fought for them. They were just... canceled. And that was THE END.

But then OLTL and AMC get canned, and suddenly, everyone races to save the genre??

Even the press, pre-OLTL/AMC/PP stink, had rarely heard of a so-called "soap opera". But now? Every media site known to mankind has started posting "exclusive" casting news & behind-the-scenes "sneak peeks"... Where was all this care BEFORE the Prospect Park drama?!

It makes me SICK to know that my two favorite soaps got the short end of the stick.

I love AMC and OLTL but also love GL and ATWT and totally agree.

However, hasn't it been said that Telenext or P&G or whoever the hell owned them had no interest in selling, despite "claims" they were shopping the shows around.

Also, daytime is also looked at differently now. I honestly feel like it HAD to get down to what it did for everyone to start realizing daytime is dying and something needs to be done about it. Took 5 straight years of soaps being cancelled. It also is about damn time the press started recognizing the soaps and not treating them as the bastard step children of the networks. Having just four, IMO, made the networks actually take notice.

I do agree, I wish there were efforts made. I think both ATWT and GL, in capable writers, had SO much life left. It was just .. timing, I guess.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jan 26 2013, 05:58 AM
Also, daytime is also looked at differently now. I honestly feel like it HAD to get down to what it did for
everyone to start realizing daytime is dying and something needs to be done about it. Took 5 straight years of soaps being cancelled. It also is about damn time the press started recognizing the soaps and not treating them as the bastard step children of the networks. Having just four, IMO, made the networks actually take notice.

I do agree, I wish there were efforts made. I think both ATWT and GL, in capable writers, had SO much life left. It was just .. timing, I guess.

I agree. I think had All My Children and One Life to Live gotten the can in 2009 and 2010, respectively, that it would be Guiding Light and As the World Turns getting a second chance on the internet in 2013.

In a way, some shows had to be the "guinea pig" and rise up to soap heaven and say, you know what, there is just too many of us fine soaps up here -- hi, Santa Barbara -- and we need to put a limit on anymore new arrivals!

So really it's a matter of timing. In this day and age, timing is everything.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I do wish ATWT and GL got the same treatment OLTL and AMC are getting. Even if the two shows lived on like AW is currently doing with Another World Today. I'm a faithful reader. There every Monday and Thursday to find out what's happening to the residents of Bay City. I wish someone, maybe a former ATWT or GL writer, would do the same for Oakdale and Springfield. The writer who writes AWT was in charge of Mindy's Twitter account, which kept us updated on GL characters after the show went off, but that has since ended. I would be satisfied with that sort of thing. But then again, I'm not as big of a fan of ATWT and GL, the way I have become one of AMC and OLTL.

Mason
Member Avatar

I think ATWT could have easily been resuscitated, but by 2009, I think it would have taken a miracle to salvage what was left of GL -- even under capable writers.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply