Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dallas: Season 2
Topic Started: Jan 28 2013, 06:31 PM (5,035 Views)
GLtime

Drew
Mar 11 2013, 10:23 PM
Great episode!

Linda and Patrick KILLED it. And I'm liking where it's going with John Ross and Emma. Only thing that really bothered me was how too-friendly Mandy and Sue Ellen were.

Agreed Drew...although Sue Ellen did remark about JRs cheating with Mandy there...lol....but there should have been some hostile moments between the two. Things didnt end will with both of them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

I think it would've been nice if they had featured some "classic J.R. flashbacks". Not too many, but just enough to give us a taste of "the good ole days", and help the sense of nostalgia weaken us just enough to make everyone's performances even more poignant.

It also slightly bugged me that the new bunch alluded to interactions with J.R. that happened between Dallas 1.0 and Dallas 2.0, but that's a very minor thing.

I think what bothered me most was the lack of flashbacks... the lack of interaction between the returning players/lack of number of returnees... the continuance of the Emma/Harris side-story... and lastly, the fact that Sue Ellen was determined to use the grieving period to seduce Gary. That was just WRONG.

Edge1978
Member Avatar

Patrick, Linda and Josh NAILED It. I was bawling when they were bawling. Like others have mentioned, you know that their tears were very real considering they knew Larry for 20 years.

Edited by Edge1978, Mar 12 2013, 10:51 AM.

eyebrowns

This new season was sooooooo ifffy to me. But once the court room drama kicked off, it really took off. That was some of the most fabulous acting. Brenda Strong is way too talented.

The funeral episode killed me too. Everyone was so on point. :'(

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

Regarding the flashbacks I wonder if they weren't allowed to use them.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

It probably wasn't even a consideration because flashbacks are antiquated.

Then there's the issue of mixing 80s 4:3 broadcast videotape footage with 16:9 modern high definition video and pretending it doesn't look awful side by side.
Edited by Drew, Mar 16 2013, 01:47 PM.

Mason

The lack of flashbacks didn't bother me since I didn't expect any anyway.

In lieu of flashbacks, however, they could and should have made better use of the time they had with the characters that made fly-by appearances. I would have been more impressed with that than with showing flashbacks, anyway. What we got felt very "Look at these old faces we dug up, so we must care as much as you (the viewer) do!" to me.

Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

Well hell, guys, LOL! It was just an idea :/

Mason

Oh, I don't disagree that flashbacks would have made the episode better. I'd have been happy to see them incorporated, but I just figured going in that we wouldn't, so for me, it wasn't too much of a letdown.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I feel like it was just too rushed overall. Linda and Patrick definitely gave great performances and I really think Josh is coming into his own, though I've liked him as John Ross from the start.

Metcalfe and Brewster are so terrible, even when they're in the background. Cidre must have a thing for them or something.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

KMan101
Mar 16 2013, 08:26 PM
Metcalfe and Brewster are so terrible, even when they're in the background. Cidre must have a thing for them or something.
I agree about those two. I was watching a series of YT videos called "The Saga of Pamela Ewing" or something like that and it was kind of a brief rundown of how that character left the show. I found myself wishing Chris and Elena could recreate history by hitting a truck like that and their car explodes. It's painful to watch Jordana due to her appearance. Was she that thin and frail looking in other stuff she's been in?

Mason

Even as brief as it was, the mere fact that Elena had as much to say at J.R.'s grave as Ray, Lucy and Gary as if anybody knew who in the hell she was before 2012 pissed me off.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I also hate when she does the sad face. She purses her lips out and ugh ... I haven't really seen her in much else so I don't know how she is. I never thought she was this terrible though LOL. Metcalfe gets WORSE.

Metcalfe was miscast from the start but his poor acting makes him stand out even more.

Mason

Basically everything about tonight's episode was stupid, from J.R.'s will and Miss Ellie's nonsensical letter to Gary being rushed off the show without so much as a hello to Val and finally Cliff setting off an explosion with his daughter nearby which would NEVER happen. So much bullshit in one episode.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Yeah, last night's episode was total crap.

Cliff has always been selfish and single minded when it came to the Ewings, even to the detriment of his family relationships, but I can't believe he'd risk killing his daughter and grandchildren. That said, Ken Kercheval handled the scene really well. To think there was even question that Cliff wasn't going to be a part of the reboot ....

I really hope that's not the end of Mama Ryland, though I can't see how it couldn't be given her final clichéd speech. Total let down. They opened the door to something really creepy and interesting and for it to end with a tired push down the stairs is just .... YAWN. I wanted them to really "go there", have there be some big dark secret or shocking past abuse - something to give the show some edge.

I dunno ....as the season's going on I'm finding myself getting really bored. The fun of the old Dallas just isn't there and I don't think Cidre is the one to bring it. (Cane ... zzzzz) She got it off to a good start but they really need some fresh blood to kick the show up a notch. Inject some testosterone. SOMETHING! (and kill the country-western elevator musack playing over every scene ... it's not Dallas!)

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Mason
Mar 18 2013, 09:04 PM
Basically everything about tonight's episode was stupid, from J.R.'s will and Miss Ellie's nonsensical letter to Gary being rushed off the show without so much as a hello to Val and finally Cliff setting off an explosion with his daughter nearby which would NEVER happen. So much bullshit in one episode.
Why are they paying Charlene Tilton just to get imaginary off camera coffee?

In the battle of the plastic surgeries standing side by side Joan van Ark was winning. Not good!

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Drew
Mar 19 2013, 07:59 PM
Cliff has always been selfish and single minded when it came to the Ewings, even to the detriment of his family relationships, but I can't believe he'd risk killing his daughter and grandchildren. That said, Ken Kercheval handled the scene really well. To think there was even question that Cliff wasn't going to be a part of the reboot ....
I agree! I have a major problem with this and the direction they've taken Cliff. I used to love him on the old series! There is nothing redeemable about the character anymore, and doing what he did to Rebecca only makes it worse.

Mason

Oh I'm completely fine with this being the end of Judith Riland (if it actually is). The Anne/Rilands stuff has taken up more than enough airtime this season.

KMan101
Member Avatar

The episode wasn't good.

John Ross is the only thing interesting to me right now. Too little of Sue Ellen and I'm not seeing enough of her right now.

Lucy gets her usual throwaway line. And that was it for Val? Seriously. Ugh. So wrong. One nanosecond of a scene between her and Gary after how many years of the audience not seeing them? WTF. Not to mention Valene calling Sue Ellen a manipulative monster. I mean, Val has a right to be annoyed by Sue Ellen but that scene just ... IDK.

Horrible.

Mason

That scene was utterly ridiculous for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that Val and Sue Ellen had uttered *maybe * five words to each other onscreen in the last 35 years. Yet that scene was written as if there was some kind of history between them!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply