Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dallas (2012) Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 28 2013, 06:31 PM (5,778 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Honestly I don't even know what Val was doing on Dallas in the first place. It's not her franchise, period. Gary's involvement is a stretch at best.

I wonder if Sue Ellen/Gary/Val were the in the 10% they changed with Larry Haggman's death. It seemed they were setting up a triangle as part of the battle for southfork oil. But with the death, will, and Bobby's decision last night that whole plot's basically dead in the water so no reason for seducing Gary for mineral rights. Was Joan Van Ark confirmed before or after Haggman died?
Edited by Drew, Mar 19 2013, 10:20 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Mason
Mar 19 2013, 08:26 PM
Oh I'm completely fine with this being the end of Judith Riland (if it actually is). The Anne/Rilands stuff has taken up more than enough airtime this season.
It has, but it was a waste. The shooting was pointless and wasted way too much time, time I'd rather have spent on the mother-son stuff.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Seeing Cliff giving the order to blow up the oil rig with his pregnant daughter on it has made me realize what this re-boot of Dallas has been missing: character-based drama as opposed to plot-based. I even feel that that's what was perhaps missing for me during JR's funeral episode. There were things I liked about it (Sue Ellen and Bobby breaking down in his room and the more subdued opening) but I didn't find that they truly captured JR Ewing and the inter-personal dynamics of the Ewing family. This was particularly apparent to me in the brotherly relationships. There should have been something (flashback, dialogue) to explore the fact that JR didn't really count Gary and Ray as brothers like he did Bobby. I remember a scene when JR is talking to Sue Ellen and he says "Gary and Ray...what's a family for if it can't take care of its losers?" and all his put-downs of Ray. This could have been shown subtly by Bobby's giving a much longer eulogy than Gary and Ray. I also wished we could have seen more appreciation for JR's biting wit. For instance, when Christopher was talking about how when Pam disappeared JR told him he was a Ewing, he should have added something like "as long as you stay out of John Ross's way" or something along those lines.

Mason
Member Avatar

All I have to say about tonight's episode is that it was nice to see Afton again. Otherwise, I was totally indifferent to everything on my screen.

.... Actually I take that back. I do have something else. How ridiculous (and out of character) is it that, not only does Cliff blow up his own pregnant daughter, but apparently is also so callous that he can't be bothered to see her at the hospital? I'm also really irritated that we didn't get a single scene with Afton and Cliff. Just like Bobby's stupid line about Afton causing enough trouble (which is interesting since he never seemed to hold it against her before), it just goes to show that these writers do not understand the relationships on this show.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I havent watched yet, but seriously?! When she wasnt trying to sing Afton was always trying to reign Cliff in from his obsession with the Ewings and chinese takeout until she couldn't take it anymore and left him. WTF.
Edited by Drew, Mar 25 2013, 09:22 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

They seemed to want to ignore the fact that, for the majority of her time on the original Dallas, Afton was actually a good person (hello, Bobby -- this is the same woman who saved your life after Katherine shot you full of hot lead!), and it ticked me off.

GLtime

The writing for the show is dreadful. Both Bobby and Sue Ellen swinging blow the belt where Afton was concerned was totally wrong. I am sure Bobby was referring to Afton affair with JR but she had made amends for that long before she left and returned during the reunion movie.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Josh Henderson has continued to get better and better as John Ross and has really made the role his own. The opposite is true of Jordana Brewster's Elena who displayed zero emotional range in yesterday's episode.

leah09
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 25 2013, 09:41 PM
They seemed to want to ignore the fact that, for the majority of her time on the original Dallas, Afton was actually a good person (hello, Bobby -- this is the same woman who saved your life after Katherine shot you full of hot lead!), and it ticked me off.
IKR? How bad was Afton after her initial few weeks on the show? I know she slept with JR 2 seconds after meeting him and drugged Cliff in order to get info for JR (I think??) but she felt real remorse and even Pam and Rebecca loved her because they knew how much she genuinely cared about Cliff, no matter how shitty he treated her. Rebecca even left her money in her will.

I cannot stand Christopher, I wish they would send him off with skeletor and bring back a recast in his place. ANYONE would be better. I felt more for John Ross as he looked on as Rebecca lost the babies than the actual father! JM sucks!!

Edge1978
Member Avatar

leah09
Mar 26 2013, 08:44 AM
Mason
Mar 25 2013, 09:41 PM
IKR? How bad was Afton after her initial few weeks on the show? I know she slept with JR 2 seconds after meeting him and drugged Cliff in order to get info for JR (I think??) but she felt real remorse and even Pam and Rebecca loved her because they knew how much she genuinely cared about Cliff, no matter how shitty he treated her. Rebecca even left her money in her will.

I cannot stand Christopher, I wish they would send him off with skeletor and bring back a recast in his place. ANYONE would be better. I felt more for John Ross as he looked on as Rebecca lost the babies than the actual father! JM sucks!!
hahaha I literally just told my BF this when we watched. I cringe when Jesse tries to swing an emotion on this series. Josh however has been phenomenal.

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

Is it just me or is Pamela's scar more visable this season than last?

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Finally watched it. I was pretty bored. This show desperately needs a new show runner and a shot of adrenaline.

Afton ... why the hate still for her brief affair with JR when she was all smiles with Mandy?! If they're not going to bother to integrate these older elements properly I wish they'd just leave them in the 80s.

Afton was a favourite of mine so this annoys me more than the others.
Edited by Drew, Mar 30 2013, 09:12 PM.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I've never been able to see the entire Dallas run concurrently but I saw seasons when we finally got SoapNet while it was on there and before that when it aired on TNN long ago. I still haven't seen the TV Movies though but since this series doesn't mention anything that happened in them it doesn't seem to matter. Soooooo I am familiar with some people they've brought back and some I'm not. I hate the way they are writing Cliff like he's just a nasty old crabby man obsessed with the past who has no depth and doesn't care about his family at all.

The only way they could excuse his behavior is to say he's senile, sick or something. From what I saw in old episodes to me I don't think the real Cliff would have ever put his daughter or grandchildren in danger like that as someone previously mentioned.

I meant to post before about Ted Shackelford's appearances and my Mom's reaction. She was a Knots Landing fan so I grew up on that more so then Dallas and watched more old episodes of it on TNT and Soapnet. When she saw Ted on Dallas recently she let out this gasp, asked me if I knew what happened to him and if he was sick. I'm wondering if he's sick too because he hasn't looked that bad when he's been on Y&R.

I want to love this reboot so much but as others have said it's just lacking in so many areas and when they do try to connect with Dallas 1.0 they do such a piss poor job of it. Elena is plain awful and needs to be killed off in a dramatic way like Pam was supposed to be. Another option would be to have her die from bulimia or anorexia since she looks like she has one or both of those diseases anyway. I like the guy who plays her brother more then her and would love it if they made him a viable character.

I could blather on but I'll spare you all the rest of my musings for now... :wine:

Mason
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Mar 30 2013, 10:01 PM
I hate the way they are writing Cliff like he's just a nasty old crabby man obsessed with the past who has no depth and doesn't care about his family at all. The only way they could excuse his behavior is to say he's senile, sick or something. From what I saw in old episodes to me I don't think the real Cliff would have ever put his daughter or grandchildren in danger like that as someone previously mentioned.
But that would require an explanation from these writers about why a character is behaving the way they are or why something has been retroactively altered -- and they never explain anything. I'm tired of feeling that, as a viewer, I'm just expected to fill in every gap left by the writers. It's sloppy.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I don't really see this as a big shift for Cliff to be honest.

The only family Cliff cared about was Digger. He treated Pam, Katherine, and Rebecca like means to an end to attack the Ewings.

Mason
Member Avatar

I really don't agree. Yes, Cliff was selfish and not above putting his own agenda above his family, which he frequently did. But if Cidre expects me to believe that the Cliff Barnes I know has no qualms about blowing up a methane rig with his pregnant daughter on it, then she's going to have to establish some context for that. In other words, show (or at the very least, explain via expositional dialogue) what has driven him to this point. But we never get anything like that from her and her crew. That's partly why this show is failing; because it's all about jumping to the latest plot twist without laying the proper groundwork.

Lil
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Mar 30 2013, 10:01 PM
I've never been able to see the entire Dallas run concurrently but I saw seasons when we finally got SoapNet while it was on there and before that when it aired on TNN long ago. I still haven't seen the TV Movies though but since this series doesn't mention anything that happened in them it doesn't seem to matter. Soooooo I am familiar with some people they've brought back and some I'm not. I hate the way they are writing Cliff like he's just a nasty old crabby man obsessed with the past who has no depth and doesn't care about his family at all.

The only way they could excuse his behavior is to say he's senile, sick or something. From what I saw in old episodes to me I don't think the real Cliff would have ever put his daughter or grandchildren in danger like that as someone previously mentioned.

I meant to post before about Ted Shackelford's appearances and my Mom's reaction. She was a Knots Landing fan so I grew up on that more so then Dallas and watched more old episodes of it on TNT and Soapnet. When she saw Ted on Dallas recently she let out this gasp, asked me if I knew what happened to him and if he was sick. I'm wondering if he's sick too because he hasn't looked that bad when he's been on Y&R.

I want to love this reboot so much but as others have said it's just lacking in so many areas and when they do try to connect with Dallas 1.0 they do such a piss poor job of it. Elena is plain awful and needs to be killed off in a dramatic way like Pam was supposed to be. Another option would be to have her die from bulimia or anorexia since she looks like she has one or both of those diseases anyway. I like the guy who plays her brother more then her and would love it if they made him a viable character.

I could blather on but I'll spare you all the rest of my musings for now... :wine:
Personally, I find Drew just as horrible as Elena...the Ramos family just sucks period.

Lil
Member Avatar

^Cliff WAS always selfish and did often treat his family like shit...but in the end of the original series, you actually saw how much his heart was breaking that he wasn't with his daughter. He would never have put her in that position...although I think as far as the babies go...he wouldn't have done that to them either. Not out of love, but because he would have Ewing grandkids...

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

fix to watch Dallas tonight, cannot believe that John Ross and Pamela Rebecca got married i love those two

Mason
Member Avatar

Well, I thought tonight's pair of episodes (particularly the first hour) was a definite improvement over the last few. Although I still despise the blowing up the rig plot point, I like that Cliff was so prominent in tonight's episodes, and I always enjoy it when the Ewings temporarily suspend their own feuds to collectively take on their enemies as a family.

I'm unsure how I feel about John Ross and Pamela getting married. On the one hand, I like both characters and the dynamic between them, but I'm hoping this plot doesn't end up ruining that dynamic by making them saps for each other.

My only two real complaints about tonight's shows are that I still couldn't care less about Drew and Emma and that it's still bugging me how J.R.'s murder is being treated as an afterthought.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply